The January Philosophy Book of the Month 2019 is The Runaway Species. Discuss The Runaway Species now.

The February Philosophy Book of the Month is The Fourth Age by Byron Reese (Nominated by RJG.) Discuss The Fourth Age now.

Evidence that Consciousness Survives Bodily Death?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Consul

Re: Evidence that Consciousness Survives Bodily Death?

Post by Consul » February 3rd, 2019, 7:57 pm

Belindi wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 8:33 am
Measuring is what modern people do a lot . Mental stuff can't be quantified. How then are we to picture it?
What about pain?

See:
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain_scale

* https://io9.gizmodo.com/scientists-succ ... -472456061

"In a much needed breakthrough, neuroscientists have developed a technique to predict how much physical pain people are feeling by looking at images of their brain scans.
Until this point, the only way for doctors to "measure" pain is by using a pain scale. This typically involves patient self-reporting — like ranking pain on a scale from 1 to 10 — and observing their behavior."
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars

Belindi

Post by Belindi » February 4th, 2019, 7:14 am

Consul wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 7:57 pm
Belindi wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 8:33 am
Measuring is what modern people do a lot . Mental stuff can't be quantified. How then are we to picture it?
What about pain?

See:
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain_scale

* https://io9.gizmodo.com/scientists-succ ... -472456061

"In a much needed breakthrough, neuroscientists have developed a technique to predict how much physical pain people are feeling by looking at images of their brain scans.
Until this point, the only way for doctors to "measure" pain is by using a pain scale. This typically involves patient self-reporting — like ranking pain on a scale from 1 to 10 — and observing their behavior."
But that's the physiological brain aspect of the subject's brain-mind. For someone other than the subject to understand the subjective aspect of the subject's brain-mind communication is needed. Art, or psychiatric conversations or suchlike.

BigBango

Post by BigBango » February 4th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Belindi wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 5:35 am
My response,BigBango, which I did not post, was that you did not provide a simple analogy.
I could provide a simple analogy Belindi but it would fail to capture the essence of my thesis. It would be like my thesis but only in a very limited way. I am afraid that your hesitation to expand your mind is too strong and that you are trying to force me into a description of my thesis that is easily refutable.

Analogies for many modern theories are also very difficult to construct. For example, you give me a simple analogy for quantum mechanics which declares that a cat in a box must be seen as both dead and alive in quantum supersistion until the cat is observed dead or alive. Given that quantum mechanics violates our laws of logic makes it very difficult to find an analogy in our normal world.

Again Einstein's General Relativity shows space is curved into geodesics that light must follow by the presence of mass. Yet there is no "medium" that we can point to that is deformed in that way. Therefore there is no simple analogy that like a rubber sheet that holds true to his theory in our natural world. There is only the non-Euclidean Riemann Geometry that has no "Substrate".

BigBango

Post by BigBango » February 9th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Belindi, I really do not know what you want.

Would it help to say that an analogy to my theory is that when you fire a bunch of carrots at the same point they implode and then they explode?

Belindi

Post by Belindi » February 10th, 2019, 10:48 am

I don't think so, BigBango. You had better just give up on me thanks all the same for trying.

BigBango

Post by BigBango » February 11th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Belindi wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 10:48 am
I don't think so, BigBango. You had better just give up on me thanks all the same for trying.
Please Belindi I will never give up on you. I will get off your case and hope that some time in the future you might try again. I have seen a deep thinker in your analyses and a pleasant personality. I will admit that I am asking a lot for anyone to follow my thesis.

To other thinkers who might be interested in trying to understand a theory of the world that crosses major events like the Big Bang, I say stay tuned. The reason this is relevant to this thread is that it has a cogent theory, not clouded in spirits or spiritualism, to explain the nature of what survives our death and what gave birth to our "consciousness".

This theory begins with an assumption that the world before the Big Bang was a universe of galaxies. Their difference to our galaxies is that they had grown old and their galactic centers where collapsing on one another. We have evidence that our galactic centers are evolving a physical relationship with other galactic centers. Will those physical forces ever reverse the fact that our universe is expanding? Maybe or maybe not. Maybe dark energy will determine that. The important point is that our science is only focused on the nature of those electromagnetic forces that evolved from a collapsing universe from before the Big Bang. Our science is mesmerized by the science that evolved from the collapse of those pre Big Bang galaxies. It has little to say about the other 90% of the mass of our universe.

My thesis starts with the evolution of the other 90% of the mass of the universe that existed before and after the Big Bang.

Anyone interested in these ideas please realize that your questions are welcome and I will try my best to answer.