All definition are not definite; paradoxical nature of definitions

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Tosen

All definition are not definite; paradoxical nature of definitions

Post by Tosen »

Philosophers of all kinds and flavors, and especially from the analytic tradition, vouch for being epistemologically rigorous because of the tricky nature of language and the mind. We must always be clear and "concise" in our language, so that philosophical discourse makes sense and the thoughts we converse about actually point to existing/comprehensible things in reality. But that begs the question of who defines what "existing/comprehensible" things are.

I say now that all of this is an infinite regressing phenomena that covers no ground, precisely because there was no ground to cover in the first place. I am well aware that this is exceedingly radical, but I'm going to write a few of my insights as if they are "laws":

1. All definitions are not definite
2. All ideas are assumptions
3. All ideas are beliefs
4. All ideas refer to themselves and only themselves. Ideas exist in relation to other ideas.
5. Following premise 4, ideas are all relative.
6. All ideas can be questioned in an infinitely regressing fashion.
7. All ideas are fundamentally groundless.

To notice this for ones self, you have to question whether or not you "know" anything at all. What is "knowing"? Since now we are in no man's land, I can only say intuitions about that the "truth" is. Firstly, truth cannot be a belief. Which makes me conclude that truth cannot be an "idea". Since, in this formulation, all ideas are assumptions, beliefs that ultimately cover nothing. Many of you can probably point out contradictions or paradoxes from everything that I've said up until now. But what I'm saying is that paradox/contradiction is inherent to the nature of "meaning" and "definitions" and ultimately, ideas.

Let's try to define one term (I am going to use a definition from Wikipedia on this one):

Objectivity -it is the concept of truth independent from individual subjectivity (bias caused by one's perception, emotions, or imagination).

Surely, most of us have an understanding of what all these words mean: "Objective, truth, independent, individual, subjectivity, bias, causation, perception, emotion, imagination". But interestingly, once any of these words is questioned, there is the birthplace of a philosophical debate. But then a philosopher says: "You must define truth!", another exclaims: "Easy, truth is the state of affair of things". That does not say anything at all!, says another philosopher. What are the "state of affairs of things" then? "States of affairs are things that are real!" But what is something real? And so on...

To not further elongate on this example, the implication is that all words in all definitions can be further elaborated to infinity. This means anytime we set boundaries to a definition, this "boundary" is arbitrary. All definitions are not definite because the boundary of a "definition" is almost set by us unconsciously. To the extent that a philosophical discourse can emerge from any given thought, it is the ability to "notice" or be "aware" of the limitations of any given concept. This is the phenomena of "taking things for granted", which is another form of assumption. This is the notion of Derrida that meaning is within the context, and to define a word you must necessarily define all words in the dictionary. It's an infinite circularity, the ouroboros that eats it's own tail.

"Understanding" itself is now a very mysterious phenomena. Does understanding a concept require that it be truthful? Surely not with everything I have established. Does the "feeling" when a conception "makes sense" rationally, and it's consistency, mean that given idea/conception is true? I can create many worldviews, many models, many theories of everything. And yet, "the map is not the territory". Is the territory the "thing in itself" as conceptualized by Kant, or is the thing in itself just another layer of infinitely tied fabrications of ideas, language and the mind? There is no ground but a fabricated one.

Science cannot be proven by science. Logic cannot be proven by logic (Godel's incompleteness theorem). What is proof even? This is a fancy way of just saying that assumptions cannot be proven by other assumptions. Then what is behind the assumption, behind the big bang? Where does it end?

Is truth provability? Truth should not require defense. But how do I know that?, I don't I can only assume. Truth seems to lie on the realm of the "a priori", on whatever philosophers mean when we speak of "intrinsic", "in-itself", "self-evident", "inherent", "innate", "elemental", "fundamental", "unconditional", etc.

Whatever this discussion may spark in our minds I just want to say one thing: let's continuously inquire on the nature of an assumption, always.
It is the only starting point I can conceive in a world with no starting point. Yes, very paradoxical.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: All definition are not definite; paradoxical nature of definitions

Post by Terrapin Station »

"We must always be clear and concise in our language" -- in other words, so that the reader/listener has a good idea what you're on about (clarity) and so that you're not rambling on with a bunch of stuff that's superfluous to a main point.

That's not about whether anything is an assumption, a belief, etc.
stevie

Post by stevie »

Hi Tosen,

I tend to agree with most of your ideas (ideas!).

However I find these two ideas problematic:
Tosen wrote: September 14th, 2021, 2:48 pm ...
3. All ideas are beliefs
Why?

Because I feel that the difference between "assumptions" and "beliefs" needs to be specified to avoid redundancy. From the context of your post I would conclude that idea #2 shall mean "All ideas are assumptions [of truth(s)]" and idea #3 shall mean "All ideas are beliefs [that cannot be proven to be true]". Is this your understanding of these two ideas?
Anyway I think that ideas are not necessarily 'assumptions of truth(s)' because I can entertain ideas without assuming them to be true, i.e. I can entertain ideas playfully or as [working] hypotheses.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Tosen wrote:1. All definitions are not definite
3. All ideas are beliefs
4. All ideas refer to themselves and only themselves. Ideas exist in relation to other ideas.
What do you mean by the word "idea"?

To me, one use is: A thought about how to solve a problem. As in:

"Hang on lads, I've got a great idea."
(Michael Caine, The Italian Job)

Not many of your above laws make any sense when using it that way.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Tosen wrote: September 14th, 2021, 2:48 pm Philosophers of all kinds and flavors, and especially from the analytic tradition, vouch for being epistemologically rigorous because of the tricky nature of language and the mind. We must always be clear and "concise" in our language, so that philosophical discourse makes sense and the thoughts we converse about actually point to existing/comprehensible things in reality. But that begs the question of who defines what "existing/comprehensible" things are.

I say now that all of this is an infinite regressing phenomena that covers no ground, precisely because there was no ground to cover in the first place. I am well aware that this is exceedingly radical, but I'm going to write a few of my insights as if they are "laws":

In this, your introduction, you are commenting on language and its shortcomings, I think. Fair enough, it is obvious that language is an imperfect tool. But I also think it's pretty good as it is. Language developed by evolution, more or less, and it has all the pros and cons of things created in that way. But I think the search for a better communications tool is missing the point. Language is as good as it's ever going to be, in practice.

If we had a precise and clearly defined term for everything - an impossible aim in itself - the typical English speaker might need a vocabulary of millions of words. As we currently have vocabularies of 20,000 words or so, we can see how unattainable that would be. And if we are to have the perfect word at our fingertips always, maybe even millions of words would not be enough?

So we attach multiple meanings to individual words, and many of these meanings are only generally defined and understood. In this way, we make language a usable tool, despite the imprecision (etc) that it brings with it. On the whole, I like our language as it is, and see the aim of 'improving' it as something of a waste of time. YMMV, of course.

P.S. Thanks for an interesting topic to think about... 🤔🤔🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Tosen wrote: September 14th, 2021, 2:48 pm Philosophers of all kinds and flavors, and especially from the analytic tradition, vouch for being epistemologically rigorous because of the tricky nature of language and the mind. We must always be clear and "concise" in our language, so that philosophical discourse makes sense and the thoughts we converse about actually point to existing/comprehensible things in reality. But that begs the question of who defines what "existing/comprehensible" things are.

3. All ideas are beliefs
Some of these are self refuting
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Tosen wrote: September 14th, 2021, 2:48 pm

3. All ideas are beliefs
Your last idea assumption would make all your idea formulations equally groundless. There are "ideas" which fit all your definitions and some that don't fit any.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream