Why All Current Scientific Theories Of Consciousness Fail

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Consul

Re: Why All Current Scientific Theories Of Consciousness Fail

Post by Consul »

SteveKlinko wrote: December 5th, 2021, 11:34 amBut the Connectist view presents a whole new of understanding these things:

The Scientific and Physicalist view is that Consciousness is somehow located in the Neurons or is an Emergent Property of Neural Activity. It is a reasonable assumption given that Conscious Activity is Correlated with Neural Activity. But Science has no Theory, Hypothesis, or even a Speculation about how Consciousness could be in the Neurons or an Emergent Property. Science has not been able to show for example, how something like the Experience of Redness is some kind of effect of Neural Activity. In fact, the more you think about the Redness Experience and then think about Neural Activity, the less likely it seems that the Redness Experience is actually some sort of Neural Activity. Science has tried in vain for a hundred years to figure this out. If the Experience of Redness actually was in the Neurons, Science would have had a lot to say about it by now. Something has got to be wrong with their perspective on the problem.

The Inter Mind Model (IMM) can accommodate Consciousness as being in the Neurons or an Emergent Property, but it can also accommodate other concepts of Consciousness. The IMM is structurally a Connection Model, in the sense that the Physical Mind (PM) is connected to the Inter Mind (IM) which is connected to the Conscious Mind (CM). These Connections might be conceptual where all three Minds are actually in the Neurons or an Emergent Property. But these Connections might have more reality to them where the PM, the IM, and the CM are separate things.……
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how your connectionist or interactionist substance trialism can solve the hard problem and explain experiences such as color-impressions.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Consul wrote: December 6th, 2021, 3:25 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: December 5th, 2021, 11:34 amBut the Connectist view presents a whole new of understanding these things:

The Scientific and Physicalist view is that Consciousness is somehow located in the Neurons or is an Emergent Property of Neural Activity. It is a reasonable assumption given that Conscious Activity is Correlated with Neural Activity. But Science has no Theory, Hypothesis, or even a Speculation about how Consciousness could be in the Neurons or an Emergent Property. Science has not been able to show for example, how something like the Experience of Redness is some kind of effect of Neural Activity. In fact, the more you think about the Redness Experience and then think about Neural Activity, the less likely it seems that the Redness Experience is actually some sort of Neural Activity. Science has tried in vain for a hundred years to figure this out. If the Experience of Redness actually was in the Neurons, Science would have had a lot to say about it by now. Something has got to be wrong with their perspective on the problem.

The Inter Mind Model (IMM) can accommodate Consciousness as being in the Neurons or an Emergent Property, but it can also accommodate other concepts of Consciousness. The IMM is structurally a Connection Model, in the sense that the Physical Mind (PM) is connected to the Inter Mind (IM) which is connected to the Conscious Mind (CM). These Connections might be conceptual where all three Minds are actually in the Neurons or an Emergent Property. But these Connections might have more reality to them where the PM, the IM, and the CM are separate things.……
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how your connectionist or interactionist substance trialism can solve the hard problem and explain experiences such as color-impressions.
It doesn't Explain it because it is a Framework, not an Explanation. The Framework is not supposed to Explain it. But the Framework stipulates that the functionality of an Inter Mind must Exist somewhere, somehow. If the ultimate truth of Conscious Experience is really that it is in the Neurons then that aspect of Neural Activity that causes Conscious Experience will need to be called the Inter Mind aspect of the Neurons.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

SteveKlinko wrote: December 6th, 2021, 8:35 am I have wondered about the Grant Funding too. These Grants would probably dry up if the granting authorities found out that the Theories were not really Explaining the thing they are supposed to Explain (Conscious Experience).
My thinking on that one is slightly the opposite - ie. that they care much less about the root of consciousness and much more about advances that have direct application (like more certainty that scans can tell whether a person is 'in' or not, or insights that might yield new pathways for anti-senility drugs or even cognitive enhancement).
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Does abduction imply or sometimes imply that the chosen abducted theory is more morally desirable?

The mind-brain identity theory, or the similar dual aspect theory, are morally superior because they lead to the moral conclusion that mitigating circumstances are integrated and absolute.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Papus79 wrote: December 6th, 2021, 7:01 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: December 6th, 2021, 8:35 am I have wondered about the Grant Funding too. These Grants would probably dry up if the granting authorities found out that the Theories were not really Explaining the thing they are supposed to Explain (Conscious Experience).
My thinking on that one is slightly the opposite - ie. that they care much less about the root of consciousness and much more about advances that have direct application (like more certainty that scans can tell whether a person is 'in' or not, or insights that might yield new pathways for anti-senility drugs or even cognitive enhancement).
There are Brain scanning technique that can help determine if someone is "In". These Brain scanning techniques have very little to do with the Theories of Consciousness in the OP. They don't use any of these theories to see if somebody is "In". They merely look at Brain Activity in a general way. They are not calculating Phi for example to see if somebody is "In". They are just detecting Brain Activity in various parts of the Brain.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Belindi wrote: December 7th, 2021, 7:09 am Does abduction imply or sometimes imply that the chosen abducted theory is more morally desirable?
As I understand it, abduction refers to making one's best guess. It barely seems worthy of its own word (to me). Deduction is reliable, induction is not, and abduction is like induction, but with even less justification.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Consul

Post by Consul »

SteveKlinko wrote: December 6th, 2021, 3:43 pm
Consul wrote: December 6th, 2021, 3:25 pmI'm sorry, but I fail to see how your connectionist or interactionist substance trialism can solve the hard problem and explain experiences such as color-impressions.
It doesn't Explain it because it is a Framework, not an Explanation. The Framework is not supposed to Explain it. But the Framework stipulates that the functionality of an Inter Mind must Exist somewhere, somehow. If the ultimate truth of Conscious Experience is really that it is in the Neurons then that aspect of Neural Activity that causes Conscious Experience will need to be called the Inter Mind aspect of the Neurons.
You've complained that all other theories cannot explain experiences, and now you're favouring one that cannot do so either?

As for descriptive "frameworks", I think the ontologically more economical mind-brain identity theory is preferable.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: December 8th, 2021, 2:31 pmAs for descriptive "frameworks", I think the ontologically more economical mind-brain identity theory is preferable.
That is, materialist substance monism rather than substance dualism or substance trialism.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Consul wrote: December 8th, 2021, 2:31 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: December 6th, 2021, 3:43 pm
Consul wrote: December 6th, 2021, 3:25 pmI'm sorry, but I fail to see how your connectionist or interactionist substance trialism can solve the hard problem and explain experiences such as color-impressions.
You've complained that all other theories cannot explain experiences, and now you're favouring one that cannot do so either?

As for descriptive "frameworks", I think the ontologically more economical mind-brain identity theory is preferable.
I think most people think that Science is just around the corner from solving the problem. I am merely pointing out that the theories do not Explain the Conscious Experience problem. Not even a little bit. I make no claim that I have solved it. But I am trying to get people to think in new ways about the Problem.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

You won't change Mr Consul's mind in this. I tried for years and he's pretty convinced by the global workspace model.

I think the GW model is one of the most likely possibilities myself, but it has some issues IMO, not least that this has been the assumption for decades yet extensive research (far better funded than other models) can only find "on/off switches" in the brain and correlates between brain states and stated thoughts. Despite the intense focus and resources put towards GW, no sign of a generative mechanism has been found that bridges the gulf that spans from the dynamic patterns of electric charges between neurons to a sense of experience.

Qualia remains a mystery.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 8th, 2021, 11:53 am
Belindi wrote: December 7th, 2021, 7:09 am Does abduction imply or sometimes imply that the chosen abducted theory is more morally desirable?
As I understand it, abduction refers to making one's best guess. It barely seems worthy of its own word (to me). Deduction is reliable, induction is not, and abduction is like induction, but with even less justification.
Yes, and I think abduction links to the other discussion about prejudices and biases.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote: December 8th, 2021, 2:32 pm
Consul wrote: December 8th, 2021, 2:31 pmAs for descriptive "frameworks", I think the ontologically more economical mind-brain identity theory is preferable.
That is, materialist substance monism rather than substance dualism or substance trialism.
If substance A and substance B are separate causal systems they would have to relate to each other supernaturally. Moreover for substance dualists mind tends to be more worthy than matter which is a snobbery that can no longer be justified scientifically or morally. Dualistic snobbery legitimates humans wasting their natural environment.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Sy Borg wrote: December 8th, 2021, 10:41 pm You won't change Mr Consul's mind in this. I tried for years and he's pretty convinced by the global workspace model.

I think the GW model is one of the most likely possibilities myself, but it has some issues IMO, not least that this has been the assumption for decades yet extensive research (far better funded than other models) can only find "on/off switches" in the brain and correlates between brain states and stated thoughts. Despite the intense focus and resources put towards GW, no sign of a generative mechanism has been found that bridges the gulf that spans from the dynamic patterns of electric charges between neurons to a sense of experience.

Qualia remains a mystery.
Yes, all these theories do the same thing. They specify some Chemical or Electrical, process or property, of the Neurons and then with no chain of Logic proclaim that is Consciousness. They always say Consciousness. They can never Explain a particular Experience. In fact, these theories have taken us no closer to understanding any Conscious Experience. Zero progress. I agree, Qualia remains a mystery.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Belindi wrote: December 9th, 2021, 6:04 am
Consul wrote: December 8th, 2021, 2:32 pm
If substance A and substance B are separate causal systems they would have to relate to each other supernaturally. Moreover for substance dualists mind tends to be more worthy than matter which is a snobbery that can no longer be justified scientifically or morally. Dualistic snobbery legitimates humans wasting their natural environment.
Only if you think that Quantum Mechanics is Supernatural.

The Mind is more worthy because it is, after all, what you are. The Mind only uses the Material until the Material goes away. It is Incoherent to say that the Mind will waste the Environment if it understands the separation of Mind and Material. With the Dualist concept, the Mind could possibly survive so there can be Consequences for what it did while connected to the Material. The Materialist would be more likely to abuse the Environment since there would be no Existence of Mind after the loss of the Material Body. There would be no consequences because the Material Body and the Mind are gone after Death. Physicalism/Materialism truly is a pitiful Philosophy.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

SteveKlinko wrote: December 9th, 2021, 8:50 am The Mind is more worthy because it is, after all, what you are.
Incomplete. "You" are an embodied mind.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream