The Experience and Evolution of Consciousness: What are 'Levels' of Awareness?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Gertie

Re: The Experience and Evolution of Consciousness: What are 'Levels' of Awareness?

Post by Gertie »

PC
Gertie wrote: ↑Yesterday, 6:42 pm Well it's true that when we're not experiencing hearing anything we are still having all sorts of phenomenal experience, but to call what's being experienced when we're not hearing anything ''hearing silence'' is just an ugly oxymoron.
If I am actively listening, but detect nothing, I am 'hearing' silence.

Well in order to avoid this being a simple oxymoron you have to explain in what sense of those words you are ''hearing'' silence, if you want to say something of substance.
Pattern-chaser wrote: ↑May 19th, 2022, 9:29 am But hearing, and sight (etc) too, cannot be experienced as a sensory thing.
Gertie wrote: ↑Yesterday, 6:42 pm ''Hearing'' and ''sight'' are our words for the sensory experience of sounds and visions! So I don't understand what you mean?
Perhaps because you deleted the text which follows, which explains what I mean?
But hearing, and sight (etc) too, cannot be experienced as a sensory thing. We only become aware of whatever our senses detect when we have completed the (wholly unconscious, and pre-conscious) process of perception. In that sense, there is no such thing as a purely sensory experience.

I tried to understand and answer what I thought you were saying in the part of my reply you deleted -

''Are you suggesting that hearing isn't itself an experience, there's rather the experience of being aware of hearing?

I'd say there are mechanisms like attention, focus and noticing which filter which processes are experienced from moment to moment, otherwise we'd be over-whelmed by a simultaneous cacophany of hearing, flickering visions, experiencing every nerve nerve-ending touching something, and then thoughts jumbling about, sensations, memories, imagininings etc popping in and out of experience whenever a neural connection sparks. We'd be paralysed by confusion.

A very simple critter with only one or two subsystems is unlikely to need such filters and focus, so I'd guess they just hear or feel. So I think there isn't a separate thing which is ''awareness'' which ''hears'', rather that when the processes involved in hearing and every other experience are in a particular combination which will correlate with evolved brain filtering mechanisms, then this or that experience manifests.''

If my understanding was wrong I did my best to parse your point, so clarifying might help. Because you're using words in a way they're not commonly understood. ''Hearing'' is a ''sensory'' experience, it denotes experiencing sound, ''perception'' is experiential awareness, You're just making assertions relying on using such words to mean the opposite.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: The Experience and Evolution of Consciousness: What are 'Levels' of Awareness?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Gertie wrote: May 25th, 2022, 8:46 am PC
Gertie wrote: ↑Yesterday, 6:42 pm Well it's true that when we're not experiencing hearing anything we are still having all sorts of phenomenal experience, but to call what's being experienced when we're not hearing anything ''hearing silence'' is just an ugly oxymoron.
If I am actively listening, but detect nothing, I am 'hearing' silence.

Well in order to avoid this being a simple oxymoron you have to explain in what sense of those words you are ''hearing'' silence, if you want to say something of substance.
Pattern-chaser wrote: ↑May 19th, 2022, 9:29 am But hearing, and sight (etc) too, cannot be experienced as a sensory thing.
Gertie wrote: ↑Yesterday, 6:42 pm ''Hearing'' and ''sight'' are our words for the sensory experience of sounds and visions! So I don't understand what you mean?
Perhaps because you deleted the text which follows, which explains what I mean?
But hearing, and sight (etc) too, cannot be experienced as a sensory thing. We only become aware of whatever our senses detect when we have completed the (wholly unconscious, and pre-conscious) process of perception. In that sense, there is no such thing as a purely sensory experience.

I tried to understand and answer what I thought you were saying in the part of my reply you deleted -

''Are you suggesting that hearing isn't itself an experience, there's rather the experience of being aware of hearing?

I'd say there are mechanisms like attention, focus and noticing which filter which processes are experienced from moment to moment, otherwise we'd be over-whelmed by a simultaneous cacophany of hearing, flickering visions, experiencing every nerve nerve-ending touching something, and then thoughts jumbling about, sensations, memories, imagininings etc popping in and out of experience whenever a neural connection sparks. We'd be paralysed by confusion.

A very simple critter with only one or two subsystems is unlikely to need such filters and focus, so I'd guess they just hear or feel. So I think there isn't a separate thing which is ''awareness'' which ''hears'', rather that when the processes involved in hearing and every other experience are in a particular combination which will correlate with evolved brain filtering mechanisms, then this or that experience manifests.''

If my understanding was wrong I did my best to parse your point, so clarifying might help. Because you're using words in a way they're not commonly understood. ''Hearing'' is a ''sensory'' experience, it denotes experiencing sound, ''perception'' is experiential awareness, You're just making assertions relying on using such words to mean the opposite.
If we accept that "sensory experience" implies conscious experience, which seems reasonable, then it is "sensory experience" that is the oxymoron. That is my point.

There is a strict timeline here. First, our senses detect some event. Then the sensory data are 'processed', in a process we generally refer to as 'perception'. Perception is an unconscious and pre-conscious thing. When the process of perception is complete, the resulting, er, perception is offered to the conscious mind, at which time (but not before) it is experienced. The perception is based upon sensory data, without doubt. But the experience is not sensory but perceptual, and conscious too.

We often make little mistakes, using one word when we should use another, but life is too short to correct all of them, all of the time. Mostly, it isn't necessary or worthwhile. But here, where we are focussing carefully on this one thing, we need to describe it in the best way we can. And so I thought/think it appropriate to make these observations.

Sensory experience is an oxymoron.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

PC
If we accept that "sensory experience" implies conscious experience, which seems reasonable, then it is "sensory experience" that is the oxymoron. That is my point.
For the sake of absolute clarity I'd go with - ''Sensory experience'' refers to the phenomenal 'what it is like' experience of seeing, hearing, touching, smelling or tasting something. Here we're talking about the experience of hearing a sound. If you agree, I don't see an oxymoron.

My original point was that not experiencing hearing a sound isn't a variety of experiencing hearing a sound. Any more than me not experiencing detecting bat sonar is a variety of me experiencing detecting bat sonar. It's a horribly silly misuse of language. Brian O should do better. That shouldn't be controversial.

Anyway, on to the meatier stuff -
There is a strict timeline here. First, our senses detect some event. Then the sensory data are 'processed', in a process we generally refer to as 'perception'. Perception is an unconscious and pre-conscious thing.
OK, I'll go with that as a working definition - here ''perception'' and ''processing'' are only referring to physical brain processes.

When the process of perception is complete, the resulting, er, perception is offered to the conscious mind, at which time (but not before) it is experienced. The perception is based upon sensory data, without doubt. But the experience is not sensory but perceptual, and conscious too.
This part I have a problem with. The notion that physical brain neurons 'offer' their physical activity (perception) to the conscious mind which is something different ready to 'accept' these physical neural processes and 'experience' them.

Can you unpack that? I can't grasp what that means in practice or as a theory of consciousness?
We often make little mistakes, using one word when we should use another, but life is too short to correct all of them, all of the time. Mostly, it isn't necessary or worthwhile. But here, where we are focussing carefully on this one thing, we need to describe it in the best way we can. And so I thought/think it appropriate to make these observations.
Yes, thanks for elaborating. Obviously you have a particular notion of how conscious experience manifests which I'm not quite grasping yet.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Gertie wrote: May 25th, 2022, 11:55 am
For the sake of absolute clarity I'd go with - ''Sensory experience'' refers to the phenomenal 'what it is like' experience of seeing, hearing, touching, smelling or tasting something. Here we're talking about the experience of hearing a sound. If you agree, I don't see an oxymoron.
The phrase "sensory experience" certainly isn't an oxymoron. To have a sensory experience is to have a sense-impression, a sensation.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Consul wrote: May 25th, 2022, 5:38 pm
Gertie wrote: May 25th, 2022, 11:55 am
The phrase "sensory experience" certainly isn't an oxymoron. To have a sensory experience is to have a sense-impression, a sensation.
It seems uncontroversial to me - the clue's in the name. But maybe PC can make a case that ''sensory experience'' is sorta an oxymoron, on the basis that if we dig deep the experience of eg ''hearing' is actually something other than sensory, but I can't see it.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote:If we accept that "sensory experience" implies conscious experience, which seems reasonable, then it is "sensory experience" that is the oxymoron. That is my point.
Gertie wrote: May 25th, 2022, 11:55 am For the sake of absolute clarity I'd go with - ''Sensory experience'' refers to the phenomenal 'what it is like' experience of seeing, hearing, touching, smelling or tasting something. Here we're talking about the experience of hearing a sound. If you agree, I don't see an oxymoron.
The oxymoron in "sensory experience" is that it's impossible. Sense data cannot be directly received into our conscious minds. It has to be processed in all kinds of different ways before it becomes intelligible to our conscious minds. And that processing is pre-conscious, so we can't experience anything directly and immediately. We can't consciously experience anything until it has become accessible to our conscious minds. By that time, it's a sensory-based, or sensory-derived, experience, but it cannot be correctly described as a "sensory experience". Once perceived, it is much more than just sense-based.

Pattern-chaser wrote:There is a strict timeline here. First, our senses detect some event. Then the sensory data are 'processed', in a process we generally refer to as 'perception'. Perception is an unconscious and pre-conscious thing.
Gertie wrote: May 25th, 2022, 11:55 am OK, I'll go with that as a working definition - here ''perception'' and ''processing'' are only referring to physical brain processes.
Physical in the sense that, as far as we know, the mind and its operations/actions are wholly based upon neuro-bio-chemical brain stuff. 👍 I say that because perception is understood by us - even if that understanding is somehow incorrect - as a mental/mind process.

Pattern-chaser wrote:When the process of perception is complete, the resulting, er, perception is offered to the conscious mind, at which time (but not before) it is experienced. The perception is based upon sensory data, without doubt. But the experience is not sensory but perceptual, and conscious too.
Gertie wrote: May 25th, 2022, 11:55 am This part I have a problem with. The notion that physical brain neurons 'offer' their physical activity (perception) to the conscious mind which is something different ready to 'accept' these physical neural processes and 'experience' them.

Can you unpack that? I can't grasp what that means in practice or as a theory of consciousness?
As far as I know, I'm quoting our current scientific understanding of perception. I don't think there's anything radical here. And, as I hopefully made clear in my previous post, I am assuming that "experience" refers to conscious experience. Perception takes place unconsciously and pre-consciously. This means that, when it's complete, the results are offered/passed/transferred to the conscious mind, from the unconscious areas where the processes of perception took place. I can't see how to phrase that more clearly.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Consul

Post by Consul »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 26th, 2022, 12:25 pmThe oxymoron in "sensory experience" is that it's impossible. Sense data cannot be directly received into our conscious minds. It has to be processed in all kinds of different ways before it becomes intelligible to our conscious minds. And that processing is pre-conscious, so we can't experience anything directly and immediately. We can't consciously experience anything until it has become accessible to our conscious minds. By that time, it's a sensory-based, or sensory-derived, experience, but it cannot be correctly described as a "sensory experience". Once perceived, it is much more than just sense-based.
We (consciously) perceive things by means of our sensory experiences (appearances/impressions). Of course, before the sensory experience occurs as a subjective event, there is a pre-experiential (pre-conscious) process consisting in the neurophysiological receiving and processing of sensory stimuli or signals.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: May 26th, 2022, 4:40 pmWe (consciously) perceive things by means of our sensory experiences (appearances/impressions).
In the case of hallucination we falsely seem to perceive things by means of sensory experiences. Hallucinations have some experiential content—some sensory experience—but they have no perceptual object, since to hallucinate something is not to perceive it.
Consul

Post by Consul »

By the way, there's a new book by David Papineau titled The Metaphysics of Sensory Experience.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

PC
Pattern-chaser wrote:If we accept that "sensory experience" implies conscious experience, which seems reasonable, then it is "sensory experience" that is the oxymoron. That is my point.
Gertie wrote: ↑Yesterday, 11:55 am For the sake of absolute clarity I'd go with - ''Sensory experience'' refers to the phenomenal 'what it is like' experience of seeing, hearing, touching, smelling or tasting something. Here we're talking about the experience of hearing a sound. If you agree, I don't see an oxymoron.
The oxymoron in "sensory experience" is that it's impossible. Sense data cannot be directly received into our conscious minds. It has to be processed in all kinds of different ways before it becomes intelligible to our conscious minds.
As a general point I think it helps to remember that's an abstract conceptualisation of the reality of what's actually going on. Which is air vibrations stimulating our hearing system, which in turn then interacts with our other neural subsystems, and ultimately some of those physical processes also manifest as the experience of hearing a sound, via some mechanism. Somehow that becomes part of our field of consciousness, with focus and attention shifting from moment to moment. to create an ongoing cohesive and coherent model.

Those somehows can't currently be explained, so talk in abstract ways about the physical bodily processes as 'processing and presenting data' to the conscious mind is either a functional metaphor, or a hypothesis about what is actually going on. A hypothesis which if you think it through hasw implications - such as mind-body dualism, where-by physical processes are somehow understood by the separate experiential mind, or perhaps something like a homunculous acting as body-mind interpreter. Whatever, it needs some underlying explanation, which is what I was asking for, because many people would disagree with this idea of physical neural processes 'presenting' processed data to a separate experiencing conscious mind.
And that processing is pre-conscious, so we can't experience anything directly and immediately. We can't consciously experience anything until it has become accessible to our conscious minds. By that time, it's a sensory-based, or sensory-derived, experience, but it cannot be correctly described as a "sensory experience". Once perceived, it is much more than just sense-based.
Yes I think most people would agree our interactions with the actual world result in us manifesting experiential models of that world, rather than directly knowing the world. What we directly know is our own sensory experience. Sound is a good example, it doesn't exist as sound 'out there', it's somehow manifested through our interaction with the world, including air vibrations. The experience of hearing is called that to distinguish it from the experience of seeing, or the experience of remembering a convo, or imagining a tune in our head, or thinking linguistically about what sound is. It's just a category label for that particular 'flavour' of experience, as opposed to others. But as you say, we aren't directly experiencing what the world out there is really like when we have any type of experience. And I agree the inter-active nature of neurons from different subsystems suggest there might not be such a thing as 'pure hearing' for highly complex critters like humans, as opposed to say a worm which might only have a neural system which only experiences vibrations (if it experiences anything at all).

I'd say that's written in to an informed understanding of what ''sensory experience'' means. The experience is what is sensory, not the air disturbances. That's not an oxymoron.
Pattern-chaser wrote:There is a strict timeline here. First, our senses detect some event. Then the sensory data are 'processed', in a process we generally refer to as 'perception'. Perception is an unconscious and pre-conscious thing.
Gertie wrote: ↑Yesterday, 11:55 am OK, I'll go with that as a working definition - here ''perception'' and ''processing'' are only referring to physical brain processes.
Physical in the sense that, as far as we know, the mind and its operations/actions are wholly based upon neuro-bio-chemical brain stuff. I say that because perception is understood by us - even if that understanding is somehow incorrect - as a mental/mind process.

That's fine,, we're defining ''perception'' as physical brain processes here then
Pattern-chaser wrote: When the process of perception is complete, the resulting, er, perception is offered to the conscious mind, at which time (but not before) it is experienced. The perception is based upon sensory data, without doubt. But the experience is not sensory but perceptual, and conscious too.
Gertie wrote: ↑Yesterday, 11:55 am This part I have a problem with. The notion that physical brain neurons 'offer' their physical activity (perception) to the conscious mind which is something different ready to 'accept' these physical neural processes and 'experience' them.

As far as I know, I'm quoting our current scientific understanding of perception.
If perception is physical neural activity, yes science is getting an increasingly detailed picture of neural processes.

I don't think there's anything radical here. And, as I hopefully made clear in my previous post, I am assuming that "experience" refers to conscious experience. Perception takes place unconsciously and pre-consciously. This means that, when it's complete, the results are offered/passed/transferred to the conscious mind, from the unconscious areas where the processes of perception took place. I can't see how to phrase that more clearly.
I still don't get what you mean by physical neural activity being ''offered'' to the experiencing conscious mind in terms of what's actually going on.

Or how any of this means we can 'hear silence'. Or means dogs can't.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Gertie wrote: May 27th, 2022, 7:27 am ...many people would disagree with this idea of physical neural processes 'presenting' processed data to a separate experiencing conscious mind.
I too would disagree with the concept of a separate conscious mind. Our minds are whole, one indivisible thing, even though they have internal structure (i.e. they aren't homogenous).
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

Jack. Going back to the original levels of awareness, you have expressed correctly that the limbic system is anterior in evolution to most of the cerebrum contents. It is in this limbic system that basic levels of awareness or the primitive should be found. An idea (thought) of level of awareness could be one that proposes attention followed by purpose followed by motivation and this is all done chemically in/by the primitive. It is my opinion that the amygdala might be the cerebral connection or the missing link of modern consciousness from the primitive lifeform. It is in this format that I find congruency in the development of the skills and presently of language. So, a sketched method of mind or limbic consciousness arising from the Universal collective. The merging of purposes might have been the creation of the personal space and the beginning of conscious content.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

The Beast wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 9:01 am Jack. Going back to the original levels of awareness, you have expressed correctly that the limbic system is anterior in evolution to most of the cerebrum contents. It is in this limbic system that basic levels of awareness or the primitive should be found. An idea (thought) of level of awareness could be one that proposes attention followed by purpose followed by motivation and this is all done chemically in/by the primitive. It is my opinion that the amygdala might be the cerebral connection or the missing link of modern consciousness from the primitive lifeform. It is in this format that I find congruency in the development of the skills and presently of language. So, a sketched method of mind or limbic consciousness arising from the Universal collective. The merging of purposes might have been the creation of the personal space and the beginning of conscious content.
It could be that the amygdala is the missing link in consciousness. Descartes thought that the connection between the mind and body was the pineal gland. I don't think that this has been taken seriously in connection with science. However, there is a recognition of the production of melatonin produced by the pineal gland, and melatonin governs the cycle of sleep and other rhythms. I do wonder to what extent consciousness can be located in any one part of the brain, or the brain as opposed to the entire body and nervous system. Of course, conscious processes and thoughts are interconnected with the brain and cognitive processes. However, the initial spark of consciousness is life itself and the limbic system probably exists in animals as well. This is true for sentient beings in general, even though the consciousness of human beings involves language and concepts. That is where the metaphysical basis of consciousness comes in and gave rise to dualism.

It would seem strange in the light of neuroscience to cling to dualism but there is still the question as to whether consciousness can simply be reduced to the brain. The physical is the start of the process but it may that at that point there is the essential question of other dimensions. It is hard to know whether the dimensions or collective unconscious exist independently of human consciousness, and this does go back to the question of whether idealism or materialism and, about which is the primary reality.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

The peripersonal space (PPS) is defined in neuroscience and, the personal space is a psychological space or a cognitive space as reason by consciousness including the executive function. I might consider the PP space as consciousness of the multisensory processes by methods of immanent principles or methods of transcendent principles. There is an empirical PPS and an evolving area of PP where consciousness mostly belongs. It may be that the validation of the PP resides in the actual existence of the transcendent principles. It is not illogical to be a dualist and a proponent of Free Will if by dualist I include the emergence of Universal metaphysical constants developed into action by Free Will after being reason by an evolving transcendental principle as supported by the concept of right and wrong.
In this raw idea, It is a Universal consciousness, and the sensible/intuitive content are of metaphysical nature moving into the PPS by ways of evolution.
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

JackDaydream wrote: April 26th, 2022, 6:19 pm The main basis for this question is based on the writings of the psychology and philosophy of Ken Wilber. His initial theory of individual cognitive development was derived on the ideas of stages, described by Freud, Piaget and Kohlberg in psychology. He also looks at the emphasis on higher states of awareness in some systems of spiritual thought, including Christianity and Buddhism. I am aware that some people may see putting these two aspects together as unhelpful.

However, in his later writings he sees the emphasis on hierarchies of awareness as problematic philosophically. It may involve values about the superiority of the higher states of awareness in evolution. This leads to the underlying issue about whether development of consciousness in evolution and in individual awareness is also about increase, progression or ascent.

Jung's model of the human mind and consciousness involved integration of the lower and higher aspects of the self. Of course, this is bound up with a belief in the unconscious as a source of potential consciousness.

I don't wish to make this topic too obscure or theoretical at this stage. Initially, I am asking whether you this aspect of consciousness as important philosophically. I have put it into the section on metaphysics and epistemology because it is primarily about models of consciousness, but I am aware that it is both connected to spiritual models and those of science in thinking about the nature of conscious awareness in evolution. Is human consciousness the ultimate expression of it or not? Does the idea of 'levels' of consciousness make sense? It may come down to the question: what is consciousness?
Hey Jack!

Lots of great responses here to this wonderful thread. I read through some but not all. A couple examples that quckly come to mind in bullet-point fashion:

'Levels' of awareness:

1. The physicist who discovers a new mathematical formula that captures time travel/relativity, black hole information/entropy, the laws of gravity, ad nauseum. (This more or less assumes mathematics itself is not completely a human invention, i.e., that it's 'out there' waiting to be discovered. .)
2. The musician who becomes aware of the 'chorus' part of a piece in order to express the feeling of tension and release and completes the composition.
3. The baby who develops their own levels of conscious awareness through memory and experience.
4. The adult who was made aware of a different way of Being.

I'd like to briefly parse the last one. One can easily reflect on their past and come away with revelations of: 'gee, why did I do that 20 years ago, I would have done that differently now'. This also assumes that the blank canvas of consciousness gets filled with information that seems useful in a mostly good or virtuous way (assuming the behavior is so-called 'better' now). In this case, we almost have an Aristotelian 'paradigm' of, with knowledge (and less ignorance) comes a higher level of awareness (good or bad)... " The high-minded man must care more for the truth than for what people think".

The evolution piece though is interesting. The questions for the extreme Darwinian, has ethics evolved? Has the feeling and desire for love, and the needs for connection and/or relationships with others evolved? Has the intrinsic human need for meaning, purpose and happiness evolved? If so, in what ways (?)

Mind you, that is not to be confused with having insatiable needs and/or living an ordinary life of striving (after one need is satisfied, another one takes its place-Maslow).

Just some quick thoughts...great thread!
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream