The Explanation of Life

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: The Explanation of Life

Post by Sy Borg »

Felix wrote:
Seems to be an awful lot of chaos in this closed universe, Felix.
By "chaos" I meant complete disorder or utter incoherence. Even at the maximum level of entropy, there is coherence.
Yes. That must be so because the chances of utter chaos not accidentally producing coherent structures for any length of time would seem to be almost zero. While those structures are not significant to humans, some persist and grow. The dynamic is made clear by planet formation. In the chaotic dust cloud gravity, electromagnetic or mechanical forces result in "some rubble being more equal than others". Even when it comes to planet formation, "the rich get richer", and the big bodies attract more stuff to them than smaller ones.

Eventually the planet clears its space and a new level of order has emerged out of the chaos, but within the planet itself lies chaos akin to that of the proto-planetary dust cloud. The same thing occurs, within the chaos, pockets of order grow and the Earth now has numerous climate and geological systems (noting that biology is just extended geology).
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Mysterio448

Post by Mysterio448 »

Felix wrote:Mysterio, As I said earlier, the universe is believed to be a closed system. Within this system, micro-energy fluctuations such as "quantum foam" can occur. These fluctuations do not entail the actual creation and destruction of energy, which would contradict the first and second laws of thermodynamics, but merely the displacement and/or transformation of energy. Therefore it would be correct to say that quantum energy particles appear and disappear like the light from a firefly but not that they exist and cease to exist. A more accurate description of this phenomena would require the use of mathematical equations....
To be honest, I am by no means an expert on quantum mechanics. All I know about the subject is what I have read, and I don't really know enough to argue about the subject at length. I mentioned the quantum foam just to make a larger philosophical point about the universe: that reality is a mysterious fusion between order and chaos, stability and flux, structure and randomness. Whether the virtual particles actually disappear from existence and then reappear, or whether they are some transformation of energy, it cannot be disputed that the process is in a state of flux, turmoil, randomness. Yet this manifestation of chaos paradoxically coincides with the stable state of space itself. In addition, the chaotic state of the gluons in a nuclear particle paradoxically coincides with the stable state of the particle itself. I believe these examples indicate a central motif of the cosmos.
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

http://www.youstupidrelativist.com/WGDE.html

..."WGDE proposes an entirely new version of our Universe. Our Universe is not comprised of particles. It is
interwoven by electromagnetic threads. Every atom in the Universe is connected to all others. Light consists
of a torsion along this DNA-like configuration, and gravity is a tension caused by an aggregate of these ropes.

....There are only two forces in the Universe, two forms of physical contact that we can imagine: push (light) and
pull (gravity). The mathematical physicists have invented in addition the weak force (another form of push) and
the strong interaction (another form of pull). In Quantum there are two forms of push and two forms of pull. The
mechanics refer to these two forces as the four forces or interactions.

.....They specifically clarify that a particle has the ability to carry one of these forces and deliver it upon contact with another. Just in case, the scholars throw in a caveat that you should suspect your intuition and take their word at face value because it is backed by
authority and Math.
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Shar

Post by Shar »

The Explanation of Life is the most orderly book I have read. Great work and thanks.
Mysterio448

Post by Mysterio448 »

Shar wrote: January 1st, 2019, 1:49 pm The Explanation of Life is the most orderly book I have read. Great work and thanks.
Sorry for the late reply, I thought this thread was dead. Thanks for the feedback. Have you read the entire book?
gater

Post by gater »

Mysterio448 wrote: May 1st, 2016, 6:02 pm I have recently published an Amazon Kindle ebook entitled "The Explanation of Life" (found here: "The Explanation of Life"). As the title suggests, I propose an explanation for our existence. I propose that my explanation satisfies the "meaning of life" and "purpose of life" questions that are ubiquitous in philosophy. The explanation that I propose happens to center around a certain concept which I call "entasy." To introduce this concept, I will provide an excerpt from the book:
Let me propose an analogy. Let's say you were very bored one day. Searching for a way to while your time away, you find a pair of dice lying around, so you decide to just roll them over and over. With each roll, you come up with various numbers between the numbers 2 and 12. There is never any order or sequence to the numbers you get – they are just random numbers. Now let's say that, after a while, you roll the dice at one point and you get a 2, you roll again and get a 3, then a 4, then 5, 6, 7, 8 all the way to 12 in perfect consecutive sequence. You find this very strange, as they are just a normal, un-rigged pair of dice, and you lack the precise muscle control to deliberately make the dice fall in this manner. Nevertheless, you keep rolling. As you roll again, the pattern starts again: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and so on. This continues to happen for roll after roll. You even obtain a different pair of dice but the same pattern still keeps happening. At a certain point, you will probably say to yourself "This is impossible!" or "How is this happening?"

But why are you surprised by this event? It is probably because you understand the rolling of a normal pair of dice to be an activity that operates within the realm of chance. Chance is understood to be devoid of structure and pattern. Thus for a meaningful pattern to unfold immaculately through the random rolling of dice should be virtually impossible. But why? How can we impose restrictions or rules on chance? How can we dictate what chance can or cannot do?

Here’s an additional thing to consider: Is this event just a strange coincidence or are the dice generating this pattern for some particular reason? Where exactly do we draw the line between a coincidence and a reason? Is there a line at all?

One might think of the roll of dice to be something that conforms to laws of statistics. But strictly speaking, there are no statistical "laws" in the sense of something that explains what necessarily will occur. Statistics does not produce laws; rather, it produces models. The purpose of these models is to attempt to predict the unpredictable and understand the inscrutable. Statistics is not something that can stipulate what can or cannot happen; it can only map out the way things tend to happen given a large number of instances.

How long, would you say, can this strange dice behavior last? Technically speaking, nothing in probability is impossible. The pattern could go on forever. But our everyday experience with random behavior seems to tell us that this will not happen. We know intuitively that, although randomness has no strict rules, there is still a certain regimen that we expect randomness to follow. The dice will generally yield a pattern-less progression in which there is no meaningful relationship between successive numbers. There may be occasional instances where you may roll a series of consecutive numbers (or even a series of the same number or a repeating sequence of different numbers), but you would expect such instances to be rare and short-lived. But exactly how many times are the dice “allowed” to yield consecutive numbers before they must return to their normal regimen of unpredictability? Exactly how much repetition is allowed before "random" is no longer random? How do we precisely measure the "pull" of randomness and the "pull" of structure?

With this analogy in mind, consider the idea that maybe randomness and structure are not mutually exclusive or distinctly separate things, but are intermingled somehow. My belief is that the universe in which we live is a mysterious harmony and unity between randomness and structure, chance and purpose, between what could be and what is meant to be.
This idea is the foundation of my book. Regarding things such as predictability, structure, coherence, meaningfulness, usefulness and so on, I group these together into a phenomenon I call "order." Regarding things such as unpredictability, randomness, confusion, meaninglessness, futility and so on, I group these together into a phenomenon I call "chaos." Order and chaos are cosmic forces. They are the opposite of each other, yet paradoxically they form a primal, inseparable union. I call this union "entasy." In a way, entasy is similar to phenomena such as spacetime, electromagnetism, mass-energy equivalence, and the wave-particle duality. These four scientific phenomena are each composed of two things which are very different from each other, yet the two things are simultaneously the same thing, forming an inseparable union. Such is the same with entasy.

I describe the relationship between order and chaos as a tension, like a game of tug-of-war. Regarding the dice-rolling analogy, the "pull" that causes the dice to want to produce random results is the pull of chaos, and the "pull" that causes the dice to want to produce an ordered sequence is the pull of order.

. . .

There are many examples in science of a strange kind of harmony between order and chaos. We can see much of this in quantum mechanics. Particles at the quantum level are subject to much chaotic and unpredictable motion, yet somehow all of this chaos translates to order and stability at the macroscopic scale of things. Electrons move unpredictably around an atomic nucleus, yet statistically they produce probability clouds which have orderly, predictable shapes.

Radioactive decay is a completely random process. There are no known mathematical formulas, laws or rules that can explain when a particular radioactive nucleus will decay, or explain why it decays when it decays. However, despite this randomness, the half-life of a given sample of a radioactive isotope is predictable enough to be used as a dating method in archaeology.

If you were to inflate a balloon, you would notice that the balloon forms an orderly, spherical shape. Seeing this, you would assume that the air or helium inside the balloon is pushing equally on all parts of the balloon's interior in an organized manner. But this is not the case. Counterintuitively, the gas molecules on the inside of the balloon are actually zooming around chaotically, bouncing off of each other and hitting the inside of the balloon in various directions and at various speeds. But there are so many molecules hitting the balloon that this chaos translates statistically into order on the macroscopic scale.

We can perhaps see evidence of entasy in the context of fluid dynamics. The laminar (smooth) flow of fluids, such as gases and liquids, is known to undergo turbulence under certain conditions. Turbulence is the swirling, chaotic motion of a fluid, which you might see in the smoke rising from the end of a cigarette. Yet interestingly, scientists and mathematicians are recently beginning to discover certain "coherent structures" hidden within this turbulent motion.

. . .

There are two important things to know about entasy. One is that chaos has the potential to produce order. This can be demonstrated by many examples. For example, take snowflakes. Snowflakes are beautiful, ornate, symmetrical designs that materialize out of random activity in clouds. Another example is gemstones, which are orderly-shaped minerals that materialize from random geological processes. The sphericity of stars, planets and moons is a product of the force of order emerging from the chaos of mindless astronomical activity, such as the coalescing of cosmic dust and rocks. Another interesting example of this is in the phenomena of supernovas and black holes. Both of these are extremely destructive and chaotic phenomena, yet strangely they also produce order. The intense temperatures and energy of a supernova explosion is capable of causing enough nuclear fusion to produce elements heavier than iron – something that a star alone cannot do; and supernovas also give off stellar gases that can accumulate into nebulae, which can eventually give birth to new stars. A black hole is also orderly in that it is said to be the ordering mechanism at the center of many galaxies, holding the galaxy's stars together with its gravitational pull; and a black hole also emits jets of particles which can lead to the production of new stars. Probably the most fascinating example of order from chaos is evolution by natural selection. Natural selection has created the diverse array of life forms that exist on Earth. These life forms all possess a distinct sense of form and design and functionality, yet paradoxically all of this hinges upon the chaos of genetic accidents called "mutations."

This emergence of order from chaos is a result of something I call the "randomness paradox." The idea is this: the nature of chaos is to be unpredictable, but it would be predictable for chaos to be consistently doing chaotic things, so therefore chaos – in order to be chaos – must at some point do something non-chaotic, i.e. orderly. One example of this that I mention in my book is the decimal number of pi. Pi is an irrational number whose decimal is an infinite, random number sequence. But interestingly, there are rare points in pi where the sequence briefly stops being random and transitions to a limited sequence of repeated numbers. One of these points is known as the "Feynman point"; it is a sequence of six consecutive nines (999999) occurring at the 762nd decimal point of pi. There are more sequences like this in the decimal of pi. One might think that such sequences are merely "accidents," statistically inevitable instances of randomness stumbling upon structure. But I think there is much more to it than that. I think it is the result of entasy.

On the other hand, another important feature of entasy is that order has the potential to yield chaos – orderly things and orderly processes often have a tendency to fall apart. This is a phenomenon I refer to as "Murphy's law." Murphy's law is essentially the opposite of the randomness paradox. While the randomness paradox is often difficult to detect in practical, everyday life, Murphy's law is often readily observable. One obvious example is the fact that mistakes happen. Mistakes are a phenomenon that we just take for granted, but I believe they actually have cosmic implications. When we make mistakes or when plans don't turn out the way they are supposed to, this is an example of chaos emerging from order.

Murphy's law also manifests in our own bodies. We all know that mankind is subject to various forms of infirmity. The bodies of living things are subject to diseases, disorders, deformities, and defects. When we see people with things like multiple sclerosis, panic disorders, stuttering, blindness, retardation and so forth, we just accept these things as simply endemic parts of the human condition. But a question we often neglect to ask is: why? Why do our bodies tend to falter? I argue that this aspect of our existence can be explained by primal cosmic forces. The anatomy and physiology of our bodies is a manifestation of the force of order, and that order is inseparably linked to the force of chaos which disrupts that order.

The universe is full of orderly things, but all of these orderly things are flawed somehow. However, this does not mean that there is something wrong with the universe itself. This ubiquitous flawedness is simply the signature of the principle of entasy that lies as the heart of reality.

. . .

I had an incident happen to me recently that I think is very illustrative of the entasy concept. When I go out, I usually carry a pen in my pocket in order to jot down notes or ideas as they come to me. But one time I happened to misplace one of my pens. I looked around for it for a while but eventually just gave up and started using one of my backup pens. Subsequently, one day I got into my car to go to work and the backup pen that I had in my pocket accidentally fell out and became lodged deep in the tight space adjacent to the car seat. I readjusted the car seat in order to open up the space and reclaim my pen, however in doing so I happened to find not just my backup pen but the other pen I had originally misplaced.

Now this story may seem rather mundane and trivial to you, but I actually believe it is indicative of cosmic forces. Here is a meaningless, random accident which, paradoxically, proves meaningful and useful. I view this incident as a further example of the randomness paradox – of order emerging from chaos. Incidents such as these fall under the category of a phenomenon known as "serendipity." Another similar phenomenon is called "synchronicity." While a serendipity is defined as a "useful accident," a synchronicity is defined as a "meaningful accident/coincidence." The phenomenon of entasy can cause life experience itself to appear to speak to us and give us relevant and useful messages from time to time. I have encountered numerous instances of synchronicity in my own life. Both of these phenomena -- serendipity and synchronicity -- are important parts of the entasy concept, and I discuss both of them in detail in my book.

. . .

This is a brief overview of the contents of my book and the concept of entasy. My book goes into much more detail. In the book, I argue that this entasy concept is the key to understanding why we exist, as well as why anything exists and why things exist in the way they exist. People often contemplate the reason for the universe's existence apart from the mundane details of reality which we observe everyday; however, I argue that the little details of this universe in which we live are actually crucial to understanding the raison d'etre of the universe. What are your thoughts about this idea? Any questions, comments, criticisms? Do you think that this concept explains our existence?
The explanation of life should include the conditions on earth when life 1st formed about 4 billion years ago. There is no "meaning of life" - without getting into some subjective/debateable ideas. There is "what does life mean" - and it just means that earth had the right conditions to support life.
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Mysterio448, You have done a good job of introducing your ideas, chaos and order and their interplay (entasy). Now you need to reconcile these new ideas with the different theories of QM. There is a big difference between Bohr's QM and David Bohm's QM. The difference lies in the way they predict the location of a particle that is, for example, going through a double slit experiment as a wave. In the contemporary Bohr account he uses a theoretical random distribution to predict the location of the particle. His random distribution is a purely theoretical one not based on any hidden variables which is counter to what Bohm's theory proclaims. To accept Bohr's theory we have to accept that reality is based on a Platonic form rather than an ever deepening or nesting of hidden variables.

If your theory can shed light on whether or not we live in a Platonic world of abstract ideation or in a world where we have not yet discovered the nature of the hidden variables then of what real use is your theory.

I would like it if you would dig deeper and come up with some speculations about the metaphysical nature of the deeper world that would account for your entasy!
Mysterio448

Post by Mysterio448 »

gater wrote: March 20th, 2020, 5:03 pm
The explanation of life should include the conditions on earth when life 1st formed about 4 billion years ago. There is no "meaning of life" - without getting into some subjective/debateable ideas. There is "what does life mean" - and it just means that earth had the right conditions to support life.
Your argument is that earth had the right conditions to support life therefore life exists. But your conclusion is implied in your premises. Why should life be a thing at all? There is necessarily a deeper principle at work that you are neglecting.
Mysterio448

Post by Mysterio448 »

BigBango wrote: March 25th, 2020, 1:45 am Mysterio448, You have done a good job of introducing your ideas, chaos and order and their interplay (entasy). Now you need to reconcile these new ideas with the different theories of QM. There is a big difference between Bohr's QM and David Bohm's QM. The difference lies in the way they predict the location of a particle that is, for example, going through a double slit experiment as a wave. In the contemporary Bohr account he uses a theoretical random distribution to predict the location of the particle. His random distribution is a purely theoretical one not based on any hidden variables which is counter to what Bohm's theory proclaims. To accept Bohr's theory we have to accept that reality is based on a Platonic form rather than an ever deepening or nesting of hidden variables.

If your theory can shed light on whether or not we live in a Platonic world of abstract ideation or in a world where we have not yet discovered the nature of the hidden variables then of what real use is your theory.

I would like it if you would dig deeper and come up with some speculations about the metaphysical nature of the deeper world that would account for your entasy!
Although my philosophy draws heavily from quantitative science, my philosophy is essentially qualitative rather than quantitative. At its core, it does not really concern itself with numbers and formulas and variables; it is my belief that such things are more of a veneer of reality rather than its substance. The strength of science is that it can tell us things like "what" and "how" with great detail, but the subject of "why" is outside of science's jurisdiction. And "why" is the central term when we are discussing the meaning of life. It is my belief that at the core of reality, beneath the veneer of quantitative figures, are simple qualitative principles concerning the primal forces of order and chaos and how they interact. An important quote from Stephen Hawking goes like this: Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go to all the bother of existing?
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Why do people so readily accept the notion of random phenomena when it comes to discussions such as this--the origin of life, etc., but when it comes to free will discussions, the overwhelming stance is that there are no real random phenomena?
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

So. Is there a true demarcation between the concepts of create and give such as create life or give life? If I care for a bunch of eggs and the chicks appear I might say that I gave life to the chicks but I did not created them. Well my consciousness creates many things with the tools of the here and now such as… the true demarcation. I could yield to the eggs gave life to the chicks. My free will was the facilitator or the agent of change… or to some novel idea of meaning I could yield. It could be evolution.
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Post by popeye1945 »

I remember a rather base explanation, not uplifting at all but, there it is, "Life is a lot of protoplasm with an urge to reproduce", depressing perhaps but definitely on topic.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream