Why an ideal world can’t be imagined by a human being

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Vijaydevani

Re: Why an ideal world can’t be imagined by a human being

Post by Vijaydevani »

The world is already an ideal world. The problem is it does not agree with our opinion of ideal.
A little knowledge is a religious thing.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

The problem of suffering and lack of care is not to be dismissed as the upshot of inadequate value system. This problem is more important and salient than every other problem of philosophy.

An ideal world would be a world with some stress and suffering but certainly not with that degree of suffering that we know of throughout recorded and unrecorded history, daily reportage, and personal life events.
Newme

Post by Newme »

When I think of the (almost 1 billion) 1/7th of human beings chronically hungry while so much food goes to waste, or think about innocent babies suffering the most cruel deaths imaginable just because people are sexually irresponsible, it makes me question the idea of opposition as potential strength & revealing goodness that otherwise wouldn't be revealed. Still, what is the alternative? A world tyranical government dictating every move of everyone?

I would say that freedom of speech is important - people should have access to facts, as ugly & uncomfortable as they can be, so they can make more educated decisions. Unfortunately, not only some moderators on this forum, but also many in media & politics often do NOT honor freedom of speech.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Maybe if each of us did our own part in reasonably & intuitively making this world more ideal, it would still be likely that our ideal is not another's ideal. But it is all that each of us can do - that, and always being open to redefining our ideas of ideal, as we learn more.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Platos stepchild

Post by Platos stepchild »

I disagree that a perfect world is necessarily fair. This is how I understand perfection: first, that which-is and that which-ought-to-be are the same thing. There's no deficient in the world for which "ought" has any meaning. Next, the world is as harmonious as it possibly can be. Note that this doesn't mean there isn't any disharmony, just that there's no excess or wasted disharmony.

So then, what exactly is harmony; what does it mean? Of all the various definitions, the one thing they have in common is the effect of being "pleasing". There must then be a template for registering what is, and what isn't. A perfect world can't be perfect without such a template. Perfection, therefore is and has a pleasing effect, which can be registered.

A perfect world is thus exactly as it ought-to-be, which in turn is as pleasing as it possibly can be. But, there's something missing. How does the template know that the pleasing effect which it registers is actually as harmonious as possible? There has to be a mechanism capable of assessing this question. So, we have a "mechanism" tied somehow or another to our "template".

This "gizmo", being part of a perfect world must also be perfect, as well. But, is this just a euphemism for God? Maybe; that doesn't matter, though. Our mechanism and it's template are minimally defined, with no gratuitous, "divine" encumbrances. The question which really matters is why our world isn't perfect. No one could seriously argue there's no excess disharmony.

Our world is clearly filled with too many ought-to-be's to have ever been perfect. Or, is it? Are we really the perfection-assessing-gizmo which we've just posited? I don't think so. When we say that something ought-to-be, and yet isn't, the perceived disharmony in the world usually wounds us, which make our assessment unreliable. Maybe "perfection" needs the disharmony of a few frustrated ought-to-be's in order to be perfect.

We've conceded that even a perfect world may yet be disharmonious, at least to some minimal extent. What if we lived within this disharmony? It would then appear that the world is imperfect. Being imperfect, we'd be unable to assess the pleasing effect of our truly perfect world. But, is our world truly perfect? The only clue, and I believe it's quite telling, is that we're able to imagine perfection. Being therefore not impossible, we can hope and believe that it's real.
Dnph33
New Trial Member

Post by Dnph33 »

But then being omnipotent means that if one wishes to be satisfied, then he has the power to change his own emotion such that he now feels satisfied.
Newme

Post by Newme »

Perfection or what ought to be, is subjective and usually based on very limited context.
IE: The perfect career may involve less than perfect relationships. Exhaustively considering an ideal world would mean a degree of omniscience.
All we can do is consider as many factors as possible, like a giant chess game, try to place players in the most beneficial ways.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Cilinhosan wrote:First of all we need to define what an ideal world is. Summarising, an ideal world is a fair world, because it’s a world where everyone is satisfied, and have all they want. Since it’s a perfect and ideal world it is possible for such thing to be accomplished.

In order for everyone to have everything they want, all individuals are omnipotent. That’s where the things start to collapse, as an explanatory example, if one individual likes white chairs so much that they want to have a farm of white chairs, he wishes it and the farm appears, because he is omnipotent, but if another individual is observing what the first is doing, and that second individual hate chairs so much that he wishes that the farm disappears, he wishes it and the farm would disappear, as he is also omnipotent, but it would cancel the will of an omnipotent individual, which doesn’t make sense, creating a paradox.

It’s not possible for both of them be satisfied with this setting, and if one of them were satisfied, the other wouldn’t, respectively, hence this world wouldn’t be ideal anymore.
So an ideal world is one where we're all altruistic enough to recognise that we should constrain our omnipotence to our fair share of the world, both it's space and resources, and accept that within that area we will have heaven, and that by not interfering in anyone else's fair share we will allow them heaven as well.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

Cilinhosan wrote:In order for everyone to have everything they want, all individuals are omnipotent.
Omnipotence is a self-contradictory oxymoronic ideation. If you are omnipotent, you could create such a hard problem, that even you can't solve it. But then, you are not omnipotent, because you can't solve it. Or maybe you become omnipotent by solving it, but then your omnipotence fails at the creation of a really difficult problem.

I don't know who came up with the idea of omnipotence originally, but he or she did not follow her reasoning through.

That's why I prefer to talk about onomatopoeia instead of omnipotence.
Ignorance is power.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

I truly disagree with a number of the premises on display in this thread. Having things exactly to your liking at all times sounds like hell not paradise. What makes up a large part of the human experience involves issues like victory, winning and accomplishment. Well, you can't have winning if there is no losing. And you can't have accomplishment without failure.

Getting your way all the time is boring.

What would be "ideal" would be to have everyone have a descent opportunity to accomplish what they want, but get your hands off of the actual process for doing things.

If I want to play the guitar, I need to obtain one, seek out a learning technique and practice a lot. Snapping my fingers and suddenly playing like an expert is essentially no different than turning on the radio and listening to the music that comes out with no real effort on my own.
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Well said as usual LuckyR!

If I remember rightly it's in the other phil forum that there is a discussion in which I raised the human need to strive , regarding AI.
Mark1955

Post by Mark1955 »

LuckyR wrote:I truly disagree with a number of the premises on display in this thread. Having things exactly to your liking at all times sounds like hell not paradise. What makes up a large part of the human experience involves issues like victory, winning and accomplishment. Well, you can't have winning if there is no losing. And you can't have accomplishment without failure.

What would be "ideal" would be to have everyone have a descent opportunity to accomplish what they want, but get your hands off of the actual process for doing things.

If I want to play the guitar, I need to obtain one, seek out a learning technique and practice a lot. Snapping my fingers and suddenly playing like an expert is essentially no different than turning on the radio and listening to the music that comes out with no real effort on my own.
But i I am omnipotent I can set up challenges so that I can fail and not use my ability to 'cheat' to win. I will choose to have the body I had when I was younger, but not the body of superman, so I can still set out out to row more than x km in 30 minutes on a rowing machine in the knowledge that sometimes I'll fail, thus when I succeed I will be satisfied.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Mark1955 wrote:
LuckyR wrote:I truly disagree with a number of the premises on display in this thread. Having things exactly to your liking at all times sounds like hell not paradise. What makes up a large part of the human experience involves issues like victory, winning and accomplishment. Well, you can't have winning if there is no losing. And you can't have accomplishment without failure.

But i I am omnipotent I can set up challenges so that I can fail and not use my ability to 'cheat' to win. I will choose to have the body I had when I was younger, but not the body of superman, so I can still set out out to row more than x km in 30 minutes on a rowing machine in the knowledge that sometimes I'll fail, thus when I succeed I will be satisfied.
You CAN, but few (if any) do. If you include failure, pain, decrepitude in the equation, then omnipotence is not required to have a pretty ideal existence for yourself. And if everyone did that for themselves, then that would be (from a practical sense) an ideal world for everyone, meanwhile the world itself would be just as far away from ideal as it is right now.
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Newme wrote:Ideal based on what standards?
I agree that "there must needs be opposition in all things."
I think it was Scott Peck who said that this world, with all the opposition and options to choose from was the most ideal situation for developing mature souls.
It's also an opportunity for mature souls to learn to be addicted to drugs, die at age twenty of some infectious disease, see their child starve to death, be chained for years in some dreadful prison, and learn that violence is right.
Mark1955

Post by Mark1955 »

LuckyR wrote:
Mark1955 wrote:But i I am omnipotent I can set up challenges so that I can fail and not use my ability to 'cheat' to win. I will choose to have the body I had when I was younger, but not the body of superman, so I can still set out out to row more than x km in 30 minutes on a rowing machine in the knowledge that sometimes I'll fail, thus when I succeed I will be satisfied.
You CAN, but few (if any) do. If you include failure, pain, decrepitude in the equation, then omnipotence is not required to have a pretty ideal existence for yourself. And if everyone did that for themselves, then that would be (from a practical sense) an ideal world for everyone, meanwhile the world itself would be just as far away from ideal as it is right now.
The OP is why I can't imagine an ideal world, I think I'm doing quite well at disproving that. I make no claims about the likelihood of such an event occurring.
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Cillinhos,

Are you saying and proving that an unimaginable thing is beyond people's abilities to imagine and that an ideal world is just one such thing? I respect your point of view.
But if I think of the world as an ideal place, does it mean I'm not imagining the world correctly?
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream