What is CTD?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Londoner

Re: What is CTD?

Post by Londoner »

RJG wrote:
Me: And what is the difference? How are 'thoughts associated with reflection' different from 'reflection'?
Huge difference -- one implies consciously ‘experiencing’, the other implies consciously ‘doing’ (i.e. conscious ‘causation’). One is possible, the other is not.
I have no idea what you mean by 'conscious causation'.
Me: Does this apply to all verbs? We do not 'run', we just 'experience a physical event associated with running'?
Yes, correct! Because of CTD, we can’t consciously ‘do’ anything, we can only consciously experience that which has already been ‘done’. We can’t consciously move our bodies about -- we can only be conscious of our bodies moving about. Again, a huge difference in meaning, between the two statements.
So our bodies move about without us having any control over them, we are helpless passengers!

In that case, what does control our bodies? Do they simply move at random? Is there some ghostly spirit that directs them? No; that cannot work because the ghostly spirit would also not be doing the moving because of CTD. Again we are back in the infinite regress, where no movement is possible because the thing really responsible for the moving is always one step before the one we are looking at.
Our consciousness is a delayed view of reality. That which we consciously experience as happening, has already happened!
It can't have 'already happened' because it had 'already happened' before it 'already happened'. And before that 'already happened' it had 'already happened'. And so on. See Zeno's Paradox.

Your idea requires God as 'first cause'. While all other consciousness can only passively receive thoughts, there must be this exceptional entity, not subject to CTD, that can originate them. I do not run. I am only the passive witness of God's fitness regime, in which God is occupying my body.

As I have said before, such metaphysical theories cannot be disproved, but there is no end of them and every one is as good as any other.
Chili

Post by Chili »

It's not unreasonable to view people and things around us as composed of particles which are interacting. If that is true, it's not unreasonable to say that consciousness per se does nothing. What IS highly dubious is to take this whole view, built up from conscientious empirical science, and then even begin to speculate that it is "like" something to be a person - it's no more scientific than going on about God & ghosts. If you're going to pledge allegiance to the scientific method, you may as well go all the way.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

We can explain every object or process that we name as not existing in itself, but being only the product of the interactions of other things. If so, we would have to take a sort of holistic, undifferentiated view of the universe.

I don't think that is wrong, but it is not descriptive of subjective experience, in which the world is divided into me - and not-me. Indeed, one could start instead from subjective experience and take that all the way, denying the reality of not-me and saying the universe only exists as an object in consciousness, which isn't wrong either.

But if we try to mix them up, treating consciousness as if it was an object in science, we are taking science into an area that it simply cannot address. To state the obvious, it isn't measurable; there are no quantities of consciousness. And vice-versa; for the same reason nobody treats objects of thought as if they were part of the empirical world dealt with by science.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG:
The presence of neurons does not help reduce, or eliminate CTD. Impulses traveling between neurons consume time, which only ‘contribute’ to the overall CTD value (the amount of time delay).
Motor neurons. Remember that word. Motor.

As I said in my other posts, if you want to split the events I have listed in to a more detailed series of sub-events and insert the word "delay" between each of those sub-events, go ahead. It changes nothing. The amount of time delay is irrelevant. If the delay was 100 years, it wouldn't change the principle.
CTD is a time “lag”, which means that consciousness can NEVER catch up to (and affect) to the happenings in reality.
Conscious sensation indeed cannot do that, because it is a sensation. Conscious motor activity can. As already explained, we cannot sense the results of our motor activities until after those results have happened. That doesn't mean we didn't cause them.
Yes, you remembered this: We become ‘conscious’-of-sensing, only AFTER we (our body) sensed these things.
Yes.
But then forgot this: We become ‘conscious’-of-causing, only AFTER we (our body) has caused things.
No I didn't forget this. I explictly stated it.
"Consciously causing" is as impossible as a "married bachelor" or "square circle". Consciousness implies AFTER, and causation implies BEFORE. These are 'mutually exclusive'.
I'll repeat it again. Sensory neurons sense things after they have happened. Motor neurons cause things to happen in the future. Sensory neurons, later, detect whether those things did in fact happen, after they happened. The timeline, as I've set it out before, is very, very simple.
Because consciousness always follows that which it is conscious of, then conscious causation, or consciously doing anything is impossible, …making all conscious experiences, simply ‘passive’ experiences.
Conscious sensing follows that which it is conscious of. You're still only talking about "experience" - i.e. sensations. You're still ignoring the presence of motor neurons.
Yes. We become ‘conscious’-of-sensing, AFTER we (our body) sensed these things.
Correct. We sense things after they have happened. Sensory. Motor. Try to remember both of those two words. Can you do that for me?
Our consciousness ALWAYS “lags” the events happening in reality. It can never catch up to, and affect the events happening in reality. It is as futile as chasing one’s own shadow.
I'll say it over and over again. Our sensations lag the events happening in reality, including the events that were caused by our motor functions.
Conscious causation is IMPOSSIBLE.
Incorrect.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:I'll say it over and over again. Our sensations lag the events happening in reality, including the events that were caused by our motor functions.
 Does this include the sensation of causing?

Did your 'knowing' of your causation occur in real-time or conscious-time?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Does this include the sensation of causing?
There is no sensation of causing. Motor neurons don't have sensations. There is the sensation (after the event) of what happened in the rest of the world (inculding the rest of our bodies) as a result of the actions of our motor neurons.
Did your 'knowing' of your causation occur in real-time or conscious-time?
Same thing.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Londoner wrote:So our bodies move about without us having any [conscious] control over them, we are helpless passengers!
Yes. -- [clarification added]
Londoner wrote:In that case, what does control our bodies?
Does it really matter? If it is not 'us', then why care 'who/what' is pulling our strings?

But since you ask, I suspect bodily 'urges' (internal forces) which result from bodily auto-reactions (bodily chain-reactions).
Londoner wrote:It can't have 'already happened' because it had 'already happened' before it 'already happened'. And before that 'already happened' it had 'already happened'. And so on. See Zeno's Paradox.
This is called "playing the Zeno card" -- presumably because of one's inability to psychologically accept an 'ugly' truth.
Londoner wrote:Your idea requires God as 'first cause'. While all other consciousness can only passively receive thoughts, there must be this exceptional entity, not subject to CTD, that can originate them.
I don't necessarily agree with God as a first cause, but if so, then why assume God suffers the same handicap as all us conscious beings? We can only view reality through the (time-delayed) window of consciousness. Maybe this God 'is' the reality on the other side of the window?

RJG wrote:Does this include the sensation of causing?
Steve3007 wrote:There is no sensation of causing.
Then how do you 'know' you caused anything? -- What tells you that it was you that caused this?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG:
Then how do you know you caused anything?
Jeez.

Me:
Events in the world: Ball is 3 metres from my hand.
Events in my brain: Nothing relevant. I haven't seen the ball moving yet.
Delay

Events in the world: Ball is 2 metres from my hand.
Events in my brain: I perceive the ball 3 metres from my hand.
Delay

Events in the world: Ball is 1 metre from my hand.
Events in my brain: I perceive the ball 2 metres from my hand. I issue a command to my hand telling it to catch the ball. It sets off down my nervous system towards my hand.
Delay

Events in the world: The command reaches my hand as the ball reaches my hand. My hand closes around it.
Events in my brain: I perceive the ball 1 metre from my hand.
Delay

Events in the world: My hand is holding the ball.
Events in my brain: I perceive my hand catching the ball.

Events in the world: My hand is holding the ball.
Events in my brain: I perceive my hand holding the ball.
For example, when I was a baby I sent a command saying "move leg" and a bit later I got a sensation from the input labelled "eyes" of a pink thing moving. Slightly after this I got another sensation from the input labelled "legs" which I took to be the feeling of something happening down there. That sequence of events seemed to happen in that way quite consistently. So I learned to assume (later on in life without really thinking about it) that I had these things called "legs" and that I could control them with my brain with only a small time lag.
Sensory neurons sense things after they have happened. Motor neurons cause things to happen in the future. Sensory neurons, later, detect whether those things did in fact happen, after they happened. The timeline, as I've set it out before, is very, very simple.
Motor neurons don't have sensations. There is the sensation (after the event) of what happened in the rest of the world (including the rest of our bodies) as a result of the actions of our motor neurons.
etc.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve, so what is it specifically, that you 'consciously (knowingly) caused'? ... is it the movement of your motor neurons?

Whatever this X is, what came first? ...the consciousness-of-X, or X itself?

If X comes first, then it is too late to cause it. 'Conscious causation' is a logical impossibilty.

Consciousness always lags reality, and therefore can never affect reality.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG:
Steve, so what is it specifically, that you 'consciously (knowingly) caused'? ... is it the movement of your motor neurons?
The firing of my motor neurons.
Whatever this X is, what came first? ...the consciousness-of-X, or X itself?
X = "the firing of my motor neurons". The conscious decision came before X. As I said, I'm not conscious of X. I'm conscious of inputs, not outputs. I am a feedback loop.
If X comes first, then it is too late to cause it. 'Conscious causation' is a logical impossibilty.
The firing of my motor neurons comes after the decision that resulted in them firing.
Consciousness always lags reality, and therefore can never affect reality.
You've switched back to using that word "reality" again. I'd prefer to stick with more clearly defined words. You know the trouble you got into with "delay" and "event", when you muddled the definitions of those two words.

-- Updated Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:37 pm to add the following --

Here's the feedback loop (a shortened version of what I've already posted):

1. > Event in the outside world >
2. > Input >
3. > Sensory neuron >
4. > Decision >
5. > Motor neuron >
6. > Output >
7. > Goto 1 >

Question: Remembering that this is an infinite loop, does event 4 lag event 1? Or does it happen before event 1? Or both?
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:
RJG wrote:What is it specifically, that you 'consciously (knowingly) caused'?
The firing of my motor neurons.
Steve3007 wrote: X = "the firing of my motor neurons". …As I said, I'm not conscious of X.
Aren’t you contradicting yourself here?

Steve3007 wrote:
RJG wrote:Whatever this X is, what came first? ...the consciousness-of-X, or X itself?
X = "the firing of my motor neurons".
So then you weren’t conscious-of-‘causing’ this until AFTER it was ‘caused’, …true? ...but yet, you still somehow claim credit for “consciously causing” it???

Steve3007 wrote:The firing of my motor neurons comes after the decision that resulted in them firing.
So then was this “decision” consciously caused? If so, then what came first - the ‘decision’ or the consciousness-of-the-decision, …the ’X’ or the ‘consciousness-of-X’?

How far back can you “kick-this-can-down-the-road”?

Steve3007 wrote:Here's the feedback loop (a shortened version of what I've already posted):

1. > Event in the outside world > +CTD = consciousness of said event >
2. > Input > +CTD = consciousness of said input >
3. > Sensory neuron [‘unconscious’ event] >
4. > Decision > +CTD = consciousness of said decision >
5. > Motor neuron [‘unconscious’ event] >
6. > Output > +CTD = consciousness of said output >
7. > Goto 1 >+CTD = consciousness of next event >
Yes, this feedback loop shows the events happening in reality (in ‘real-time’). But you are missing all the corresponding ‘conscious’ events, those happening in the conscious mind of the observer (in ‘conscious-time’). I’ve added these to your feedback loop in RED.

As you can see, ALL events (actions/decisions/inputs/outputs) happen PRIOR to the consciousness-of-said-event. And ALL the consciousness-of-each-event happens AFTER each event. It does not matter how detailed, or long, you wish make this list, or how far back you wish to “kick-the-can-down-the-road”, consciousness will always lag reality at each and every step.

The consciousness-of-X is AFTER X. Consciousness can never get out in front (come before) anything to 'cause' it, ...it is always the slow-poke, lagging behind.

Steve3007 wrote:Question: Remembering that this is an infinite loop, does event 4 lag event 1? Or does it happen before event 1? Or both?
Your question is referring to the time difference in sequential events happening in reality; from one real-time event to another real-time event. This has NOTHING to do with our conscious time lag (CTD). CTD is the time lag between conscious-time and real-time. It is time consumed in the ‘conscious realization’ of an event happening in reality.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG:
Aren’t you contradicting yourself here?
No.
So then you weren’t conscious-of-‘causing’ this until AFTER it was ‘caused’, …true? ...but yet, you still somehow claim credit for “consciously causing” it???
Correct. I am not conscious of having caused my motor neurons to fire until after they have fired. When I send a signal to my motor neurons, obviously I have no way to tell, at that point, whether anything will happen as a result. Past experience has taught me that something probably will. But it might not. Past experience has taught Professor Stephen Hawking that it probably won't.
So then was this “decision” consciously caused?
This decision was made during step 4. (Break step 4 down into some more detail if you like.)
If so, then what came first - the ‘decision’ or the consciousness-of-the-decision, …the ’X’ or the ‘consciousness-of-X’?
See the feedback loop.
Yes, this feedback loop shows the events happening in reality (in ‘real-time’). But you are missing all the corresponding ‘conscious’ events, those happening in the conscious mind of the observer (in ‘conscious-time’). I’ve added these to your feedback loop in RED.
You are incorrect to add the red parts to the feedback loop. The feedback loop is not missing any events in the brain. As I've said, if you wish to break step 4 down into more detail, feel free to do so.
As you can see, ALL events (actions/decisions/inputs/outputs) happen PRIOR to the consciousness-of-said-event. And ALL the consciousness-of-each-event happens AFTER each event.
Incorrect, because you were incorrect to change the feedback loop by adding the parts in red.
Your question is referring to the time difference in sequential events happening in reality; from one real-time event to another real-time event.
Everything, including things happening in my brain, happens in reality, as I understand the definition of that word.
This has NOTHING to do with our conscious time lag (CTD). CTD is the time lag between conscious-time and real-time.
There is no such difference. There are events happening in the reality of the external world and events happening in the reality of my brain. The event in my brain which we could call "sensing event X in the outside world" happens after the event called "event X in the outside world". The event in my brain which we could call "triggering event Y in the outside world" happens before the event called "event Y in the outside world".
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

RJG wrote: Me: In that case, what does control our bodies?
Does it really matter? If it is not 'us', then why care 'who/what' is pulling our strings?

But since you ask, I suspect bodily 'urges' (internal forces) which result from bodily auto-reactions (bodily chain-reactions).
Yes, it matters because you are trying to differentiate one part of our consciousness from 'something else'; 'the controller'. If you cannot say what that 'something else/controller' is, then it is a difference without a difference.

'Urges' / 'internal forces' will not do, since that is just saying the same thing as 'something else'. If you are claiming there is a measurable distance in between two things, then you have to be able to locate both of them. 'Bodily chain-reactions' will not work for the same reason; a 'chain-reaction' is not a fixed point such that we can take measurements from it.
This is called "playing the Zeno card" -- presumably because of one's inability to psychologically accept an 'ugly' truth.
It is only called that by you, because you are unwilling to deal with it.
I don't necessarily agree with God as a first cause, but if so, then why assume God suffers the same handicap as all us conscious beings? We can only view reality through the (time-delayed) window of consciousness. Maybe this God 'is' the reality on the other side of the window?
'Window of consciousness' is only a metaphor which you have taken too far. Consciousness is not literally an object, such that it has sides.

Also we have now made the metaphysics even more complicated with the introduction of 'reality'. Aren't we part of reality? If not, if we can only 'view' reality, that means reality and our consciousness are separate things. And the name we usually give to our consciousness to indicate its peculiar status is 'mind' - but that is something you object to. So our consciousness is not 'reality', yet we are not allowed to differentiate it from reality either.

I think we can discuss consciousness in terms of neurons, or we can discuss phenomenology, or even the metaphysics of linear time and First Causes, but this drifting from one to the other is hopeless. No wonder exotic creatures like God are starting to turn up in the net.
Chili

Post by Chili »

If CTD is the time lag between "conscious time" and "real time"... people do manage to drive the mars rovers from Nasa, you know. That's quite a time lag, but it's simply accounted for by the experts. If some part of your brain is the consciousness part, then there's really no insurmountable problem.
4. > Decision > +CTD = consciousness of said decision >

This makes some interesting and bizarre assumptions. A lot of higher brain stuff is composed of circling and bouncing synapses, not just one switch clinking on or off.

As inputs are coming in, that information is in a state of continuously modifying the circling / bouncing processing in the brain, and continually coming out of that is decisions to act, decisions to wait and watch, and so on. These "sparks", thrown out by the fireball of the brain's processing modify the body's current behaviors.

So outer events are swirling and throwing stimuli the brain's way, and the brain's processing is swirling and throwing stimuli toward our muscles, and it can't be simply broken down into 1,2,3,4,5. If you envision that brain swirl as causing or interfacing with consciousness per se, dualistic perhaps, then so be it. If you don't so be it. We might get closer to having an educated opinion about this question as we move closer to modeling human behaviors / neurons with a computer simulation.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:Everything, including things happening in my brain, happens in reality, as I understand the definition of that word.
Steve3007 wrote: There is no such difference. There are events happening in the reality of the external world and events happening in the reality of my brain.
1. Are you ‘conscious’ of some of these ‘real’ events? …or is there no such thing as consciousness?

2. And if you are ‘conscious’ of some of these events, then is there a delay in time between your consciousness-of-this-event and the event itself? …or can you “instantaneously” detect/sense these events through your consciousness?

3. Do you believe that ‘everything’ (and I mean everything!) that one is conscious of, has already happened?

Londoner wrote:In that case, what does control our bodies?
RJG wrote:Does it really matter? If it is not 'us', then why care 'who/what' is pulling our strings?
Londoner wrote:Yes, it matters because you are trying to differentiate one part of our consciousness from 'something else'; 'the controller'. If you cannot say what that 'something else/controller' is, then it is a difference without a difference.
Again, who cares! If it is not ‘me’ pulling my own puppet strings, then I could care less!

I don't care what my puppet master 'looks' like or 'smells' like. He could be a man from Mars, or a mad scientist prodding my vat soaked brain with electrodes. What really matters to 'me' is if I am a puppet or not!
Londoner wrote:Also we have now made the metaphysics even more complicated with the introduction of 'reality'. Aren't we part of reality?
Yes, we are a part of reality.
Londoner wrote:If not, if we can only 'view' reality, that means reality and our consciousness are separate things.
Yes, separate things; one is a part of the other. We exist in reality, but can only ‘experience’ this reality through consciousness. …agreed?

By the way, -- Do you believe that ‘everything’ (and I mean everything!) that one is conscious of, has already happened?

Chili wrote:If CTD is the time lag between "conscious time" and "real time"... people do manage to drive the mars rovers from Nasa, you know. That's quite a time lag, but it's simply accounted for by the experts.
? I don’t follow. With respect to driving the Mars rover, what event is happening in “conscious time” and what corresponding event is happening in “real time”?
Chili wrote:This makes some interesting and bizarre assumptions. A lot of higher brain stuff is composed of circling and bouncing synapses, not just one switch clinking on or off.

As inputs are coming in, that information is in a state of continuously modifying the circling / bouncing processing in the brain, and continually coming out of that is decisions to act, decisions to wait and watch, and so on. These "sparks", thrown out by the fireball of the brain's processing modify the body's current behaviors.

So outer events are swirling and throwing stimuli the brain's way, and the brain's processing is swirling and throwing stimuli toward our muscles, and it can't be simply broken down into 1,2,3,4,5. If you envision that brain swirl as causing or interfacing with consciousness per se, dualistic perhaps, then so be it. If you don't so be it. We might get closer to having an educated opinion about this question as we move closer to modeling human behaviors / neurons with a computer simulation.
Irrespective of the mechanisms of how it all works, do you agree with the basic logic of CTD? In other words -- Do you believe that ‘everything’ (and I mean everything!) that one is conscious of, has already happened?

I have asked all three of you (Chili, Londoner, and Steve) the same question. Once I know your response to this, then I can more effectively reply to your questions/comments. So again --

Do you believe that ‘everything’ (and I mean everything!) that one is conscious of, has already happened?
  • RJG says YES!
    Chili says ____
    Londoner says ____
    Steve says ____

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream