Kant

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Palumboism
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche

Re: Kant

Post by Palumboism »

Burning ghost wrote: March 31st, 2018, 1:22 am
It is neither easy nor enjoyable to read.

This is the best book recommendation I have ever seen.

I tried to explain to a friend of mine I was reading Philosophy. He wanted to know how much time I was spending on this activity, as if it was all just wasted time.
Jorgen Pallesen
New Trial Member

Post by Jorgen Pallesen »

Ephrium wrote: March 30th, 2018, 11:14 amNow how shall I take Kant’s theory
As some mad skitzo ramblings, it's completely useless in modern settings, why not even billion dollar businesses doesn't want to hire philosophers for thinking and researching.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Ephrium wrote: March 30th, 2018, 11:14 am I have heard a lot about Kant and am a philosophy undergraduate. However, even after researching many areas, these scholastic papers do not seem to tell me whether Kant is correct or wholesale wrong. For instance even Stanford encyclopedia of Philosophy just state what Kant’s viewpoint is

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant ... -idealism/

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-spacetime/

They do not state whether it is rubbish or what

In contrast, other topics such as Causation in philosophy or Justified True Belief have more definite answers whether they are “right or wrong”

Now how shall I take Kant’s theory
You might start with stating one part of it to discuss.
You cannot expect decent advice from a question that spans the entire lifetime of a thinker.

Causations and JTB are also theories. Neither right or wrong.
Angel Trismegistus
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Angel Trismegistus »

Ephrium wrote: March 30th, 2018, 11:14 am ...
As a student of philosophy, it seems to me, you would be well advised to "take" Kant as you should take Descartes, Locke, Hume, Berkeley, Leibniz, Spinoza, or any other canonical philosopher in the Western tradition, and that is as part of a 2500-year-long conversation which started in Ancient Greece and which may or may not have ended in the mid-20th-century Anglo-American Academy.
Bluemist

Post by Bluemist »

Ephrium wrote: March 30th, 2018, 11:14 am scholastic papers do not seem to tell me whether Kant is correct or wholesale wrong. For instance even Stanford encyclopedia of Philosophy just state what Kant’s viewpoint is
Since Kant was a theoretical physicist and a neo-Platonist it's possible to venture that although Kant was not a hundred percent right in all things he said, neither was he entirely wrong. In the least, Kant understood enough of Newton and Plato to raise some very good points.

One place to start might be his derivation of apparent phenomenal 'objects', whether these be personal or scientific, by the application of the mind to raw sensations of a postulated 'noumenal' world.
If you don't believe in telekinesis then raise your right hand :wink:
Ephrium
New Trial Member

Post by Ephrium »

I finished half of CPR. Especially his thesis regarding space. Sadly I found counter arguments so strong that I do not bother about the rest. His thesis seems just a single opinionated piece which is utterly refutable.
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

To imagine the absence of objects, one may visualize empty space, but how does one visualize the absence of empty space? The absence of nothing, is a double negative which seems to be impossible, for how can something which is already not there, be anymore not there then it already is?
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Bluemist

Post by Bluemist »

From the SEP article,
Kant wrote:Space is not something objective and real, nor a substance, nor an accident, nor a relation;
instead, it is subjective and ideal, and originates from the mind’s nature in accord with a stable law as a scheme, as it were, for coordinating everything sensed externally.
SEP article wrote:Is space “real,” or is it “ideal” in some sense? Is it a substance in its own right, a property of some substance, or perhaps neither?
Is it somehow dependent on the relations among objects, or independent of those relations?
What is the relationship between space and the mind?
If you don't believe in telekinesis then raise your right hand :wink:
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

Since space is not there, it is not objective and also because it is not there, it has no substance. Space is implied by objects which exist within space, so in that sense space is an idea in the mind. All things exist within space, including mind and yet space itself isn’t there. The not-there-ness of empty space is what allows room for that which is there.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Kant wrote:
Space is not something objective and real, nor a substance, nor an accident, nor a relation
There's a double twist. Space, as it is naturally experienced by most people most of the time, like it was an absolute container, in which everything is located "within", is indeed not real, it's just a somewhat misleading way how the human experience is constructed. However, relational "space" is real.
True philosophy points to the Moon
Ephrium
New Trial Member

Post by Ephrium »

Precisely. In my thesis I presented space as mere illusion merely an aspect. Not a thing. When there is a door, we just represent to ourselves the door. Once the door is not there there is nothing there, no space.
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

Ephrium

Precisely. In my thesis I presented space as mere illusion merely an aspect. Not a thing. When there is a door, we just represent to ourselves the door. Once the door is not there there is nothing there, no space.
No. When the door is not there, there remains your apriori intuition of space which is presupposed by the possibility to even have an experience of a door. Space is a structural feature experience, and does not go away any more than math goes away when you close your book. It abides in you.

Nor is space an illusion or an aspect. Calling it an aspect is the same as calling it a property, and predications of properties (snow is white) presuppose space. An illusion? That would require something NOT being an illusion that you can pin down, in order for the illusory whatever to not be that. Kant says you cannot talk about such things meaningfully.
Ephrium
New Trial Member

Post by Ephrium »

It is entirely possible for me to envision the absence of space. When you see a Mickey Mouse cartoon does the “space” surrounding it mean anything? I can both see visually and mentally picture ONLY the Mickey Mouse.

If you keep focusing and thinking of this thing space yes admittedly it is difficult to represent to yourself it’s absence. I suggest picturing the Mickey Mouse ONLY. When it disappears there is nothing there and hopefully you can stop representing to yourself this space
Jack D Ripper

Post by Jack D Ripper »

Ephrium wrote: March 30th, 2018, 11:14 am I have heard a lot about Kant and am a philosophy undergraduate. However, even after researching many areas, these scholastic papers do not seem to tell me whether Kant is correct or wholesale wrong. For instance even Stanford encyclopedia of Philosophy just state what Kant’s viewpoint is

...[links omitted because this site will not let me post links]

They do not state whether it is rubbish or what

In contrast, other topics such as Causation in philosophy or Justified True Belief have more definite answers whether they are “right or wrong”

The reason for that is really quite simple. Most things in philosophy are controversial and there is very little in the way of consensus. Consequently, some philosophy professors regard Kant as being horribly wrong, and others regard him as the greatest philosopher ever. And then, of course, there are opinions in between. There is no standard criteria for deciding which philosophers are correct and which are not, unlike, say, physicists, where empirical testing is used to determine which theories are correct and which do not match reality. As a consequence of this, there are many resources which attempt to give an "objective" perspective on various philosophers, rather than expressing an opinion on whether the philosopher in question is right or wrong about the things they state.

And, of course, before judging whether something is correct or incorrect, one must first understand what, if anything, is being claimed. So that tends to be what such sources attempt to help one with, though obviously some are better than others at such things, and, however much one might try to be objective, most people do have an opinion about the things they know about what various philosophers claim.

In the case of Kant, he is too important to the history of philosophy to ignore, so if you are going to major in philosophy, you should study him, even if you think he is utter crap. You will also want to study Plato and Aristotle and Hume for the same reason, that they are all very highly regarded by a significant number of people, and they have all been extremely influential in the history of philosophy. So someone majoring in philosophy should try to understand the main ideas of all of those philosophers, even though, of course, at least three of them must be wrong in a big way about something, since they all contradict each other.
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

I do agree with Jack's comment above. No consensus. However, please consider the following concept that Schopenhauer takes from Kant:

Our brain is wired in such a way that we perceive things as being cause: within logical space time. We cannot think of a thing as it is, only as how we perceive it. The phenomena (perceptions of things) are directly related to our senses and brains. The things in themselves are different that how we perceive them, in such a way as our senses and brains function.

The space-time dichotomy is, in a logical sense, translated into predicates and operations. The predicates relate to the space interpretation of the noumenon (=the thing in itself) and the relations to the time interpretation of the noumenon. It is precisely this that Kant is trying to point to. Namely that there is a thing and we attempt to assign predicates and operations to it. Here we enter the realm of quantum mechanics and 2nd order logic.

Namely: There is a thing that has predicates Hs (the Human Socrates) and relates to another thing Od (Oracle in Delphi).
More logically: There is a thing (existential quantor, 2nd order logic) that has predicates Hs and relates to another thing Od (First order logic).
I wish I could show logical formula's. :(

And now think about the other philosophies, that only work within cause and effect. Teleological, as opposed to deontic. Within causation, not quantum mechanics. You choose which to adopt.
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream