Is Dreaming an Encryption Procedure?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Michael McMahon

Re: Is Dreaming an Encryption Procedure?

Post by Michael McMahon »

I ate too much bread during breakfast earlier. I felt tired and went back to bed for an hour so. In a vivid dream I was speaking to people in a bar and I can't remember what it was about. I left and took a photo of a grand historical building at the top of the street. Although for some reason in the photo I made sure to capture some telephone wires that were in front of the old architecture. I was confused about this when I awoke. Perhaps I wanted to get a postmodern vibe by contrasting modern wiring with the Romanesque building. Or else it was just a warning not to nitpick on details that other people might not understand!
Michael McMahon

The way prayerful postures like kneeling can simulate partial paralysis of the lower legs is like how the body is slowed down during a meditative dream. This might help in the hyperfocused and dissociated mindset of worship:

"Postures and gestures have been selected by religions over time to promote the kinds of individual and collective feelings and attitudes that religions value."
https://spsp.org/news-center/character- ... ng-worship
Michael McMahon

These are dreams from earlier. I was in a poor country and strolled up a ferry ramp that was angled at 45°. Food supplies were balanced precariously on the slope. All of the food containers were squished on top of each other. I was amazed that they weren't in freefall. At a different time I was in a restaurant at night. I walked up and down a staircase inside without lighting. Instead of using a side-rail I used an overhead rail for support by way way of a pull-up motion. Moving on to a different dream I was with a gaelic games football team during a practice session. I distinctly remember trying to kick a ball over the protection net and into the gardens behind it. I was worried about hitting anyone and shouted at anyone to watch out.
Michael McMahon

It's like our memories travel at different rates of time during sleep and collide into each other to form dreams!
Michael McMahon

When we redo a manoevre in a dream it's amost like we restart time.
Michael McMahon

I was a passenger in a car and saw a red number plate on the car in front of us. I commented that the red colour made it harder to see the numbers. However I balanced it by saying it might actually make it easier to see if it's dark or at a great distance away. The next dream of last night was where I walked around an Irish city except that it had a few small skyscrapers. This gave the impression of a never-ending urban expanse. It was fun to walk around the city as if it were in Asia.
Michael McMahon

To become lucid perhaps we need to bow down and pray to our unconscious!
One Step Closer - Linkin Park
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

"Our unconscious". What is that when it's at the sink washing the dishes?
Michael McMahon

Belindi wrote: August 9th, 2022, 9:49 am "Our unconscious". What is that when it's at the sink washing the dishes?
That depends how deep into the unconscious you want to delve into. If your unconscious mind is the core of your being then it'd be like your soul.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Michael McMahon wrote: August 9th, 2022, 11:31 am
Belindi wrote: August 9th, 2022, 9:49 am "Our unconscious". What is that when it's at the sink washing the dishes?
That depends how deep into the unconscious you want to delve into. If your unconscious mind is the core of your being then it'd be like your soul.
Okay. I'm at the sink washing the dishes. What on that occasion is the "core of my being" and what is "my soul" ?
Michael McMahon

Belindi wrote: August 9th, 2022, 1:01 pm Okay. I'm at the sink washing the dishes. What on that occasion is the "core of my being" and what is "my soul" ?
I'll give an anecdote. I was thinking about the online recording of military equipment being blown up in Ukraine. I'm not sure what the ethics are of video-taping death particularly when it's a tactic used by vile mass shooters. However I suppose the killings in the Ukrainian videos are blurred out by the smoke. You're allowed take liberties when fighting on the good side! Perhaps they serve educational and news purposes. I imagined about how cool it'd be to blog in warzone. It wasn't something I ever planned on doing but merely engaged in the thoughtline as a fantasy. I visualised myself buying a sniper rifle and recording my actions on the battlefield. However I thought that it'd be very risky to distract your aim of the weapon by having a camera beside you. You'd have to brush your hair mid-battle! Yet in a dream I was filming myself before and after the shootouts instead of during them. Instead of buying sniper rifles my dream character picked up the weapons off dead soldiers. I searched for scoped weapons and all I could find was a scoped submachine gun. Such a weapon wouldn't require the same amount of training as a rifle and yet it could still fuction as a medium-range weapon. Perhaps my unconscious was telling me that there's no excuses!
Michael McMahon

Dreams could function like a super-position of time rather than space when it comes to determining your future.

"Quantum superposition is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. It states that, much like waves in classical physics, any two (or more) quantum states can be added together ("superposed") and the result will be another valid quantum state."
Michael McMahon

If we interpret idealism to mean that the conscious mind is the physical world that you can perceive, then the unconscious mind would appear to be the rest of the physical world that you don't yet perceive! Perhaps you'd need to be dead to dig that far down into the unconscious!
Michael McMahon

An hour ago I'd a dream that resembled an action sequence. Someone had jumped onto a rope coming off a helicopter. The person tried to rotate their body to increase their upward momentum to try and get into the helicopter as if they were bungee jumping. When I awoke this reminded me of the expression that you can't pull yourself up by your bootstraps*. I suppose you can pull yourself up if you're falling elastically in the opposite direction with gravity!

*"used to refer to pulling oneself over a fence, and implying that someone is attempting or has claimed some ludicrously far-fetched or impossible task."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Michael McMahon wrote: August 9th, 2022, 1:37 pm
Belindi wrote: August 9th, 2022, 1:01 pm Okay. I'm at the sink washing the dishes. What on that occasion is the "core of my being" and what is "my soul" ?
I'll give an anecdote. I was thinking about the online recording of military equipment being blown up in Ukraine. I'm not sure what the ethics are of video-taping death particularly when it's a tactic used by vile mass shooters. However I suppose the killings in the Ukrainian videos are blurred out by the smoke. You're allowed take liberties when fighting on the good side! Perhaps they serve educational and news purposes. I imagined about how cool it'd be to blog in warzone. It wasn't something I ever planned on doing but merely engaged in the thoughtline as a fantasy. I visualised myself buying a sniper rifle and recording my actions on the battlefield. However I thought that it'd be very risky to distract your aim of the weapon by having a camera beside you. You'd have to brush your hair mid-battle! Yet in a dream I was filming myself before and after the shootouts instead of during them. Instead of buying sniper rifles my dream character picked up the weapons off dead soldiers. I searched for scoped weapons and all I could find was a scoped submachine gun. Such a weapon wouldn't require the same amount of training as a rifle and yet it could still fuction as a medium-range weapon. Perhaps my unconscious was telling me that there's no excuses!
I did not understand your anecdote about weapons but I got the drift of your meaning. I agree the 'unconscious ' may "tell" you what you are not consciously focusing on.

However how you interpret dream material is a function of conscious and focused awareness.
Similarly , while awake you might be looking at a painting or a photograph of a war zone. How you interpret it is a function of your waking awareness. Sooner or later your waking awareness is the source of your decisions.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream