Is Dreaming an Encryption Procedure?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Michael McMahon

Re: Is Dreaming an Encryption Procedure?

Post by Michael McMahon »

Belindi wrote: July 25th, 2022, 3:40 am Good luck Sculptor!
If the world was 100% superdeterministic or if each person was completely causally separate then reincarnating to a life in the past shouldn't be impossible? How do you know your next life won't be back in medieval era? Afterall if you have no control over your decision-making and your consciousness is epiphenomenal then you can't affect the actions of others nor alter the course of history!
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Belindi wrote: July 25th, 2022, 3:40 am
Sculptor1 wrote: July 24th, 2022, 5:09 pm
Michael McMahon wrote: July 24th, 2022, 2:17 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: July 24th, 2022, 3:01 am DO you not understand the question?
Self-control is a virtue under both determinism and the worldview of free will. So dreams that aid self-control can also be said to aid free will even if some of the logic behind it is deterministic.
So how do you exercise an act of will?
Was essentially the question.
Good luck Sculptor!
:)
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Michael McMahon wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 2:08 pm Perhaps I could define myself by what I am not. The unconscious minds of others are inaccessible to me. Everyone's temporal experience of life is unique where as physical objects can be duplicated.
The conscious minds of others are inaccessible to you too...?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Michael McMahon

I awoke from an evening snooze. I was lucid briefly where I appeared to be swimming underwater. A voice from my unconscious mind asked me if I am God. I told myself that I am me. I could see the colours of a goldfish and I was again asked the same question. It felt like I was about to embody the goldfish when I twisted around rapidly and floated past. Next a premeditated thought-line inquired if I was a whale. I could feel myself accelerating through the blue water. Yet again I said that I am me. Then I woke up and immediately wrote this very post. The word according to Michael!
Michael McMahon

Fish seem to live a more tranquil life than animals by virtue of having to withstand very little of their own bodyweight in the sea:
Enya - Caribbean Blue

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 25th, 2022, 6:38 am The conscious minds of others are inaccessible to you too...?
No, but they're more accessible to me than the conscious minds of others. In other words I cannot tell by a person's behaviour what they had dreamt about.
Michael McMahon

(I mis-worded the above reply... "The conscious minds of others are more accessible to me than the unconscious minds of others.)
Michael McMahon

This is an ordinary vivid dream I witnessed a few weeks ago. Initially I didn't think to write it down but I thought I might as well to give more examples to others who might be considering lucid dreaming themselves. I was walking around a village on an island. Then I looked for a harbour to get a boat but all I could find was a car dealers. It sounds bland but such a dream could still help me practice my orienteering skills.
Michael McMahon

At leat that's my afterlife sorted! Back to the sea!
A6B3AB67-7F28-4612-9558-BF2CBA23CB04.jpeg
Michael McMahon

(At least...)
Michael McMahon

I went to bed early again and have just awoke from a series of complex storylines. Soon after I dozed off I could feel myself gliding along a wave to the shoreline. I reinterpreted this weightlessness as being on a fast train. Through this revisualisation I became lucid. I moved around in the dark but heard mumbling conversations and party trumpets. Occasionally I could see imprecise outlines of people as if I were at a bar. I told myself I'd pray until the dream disappears. Soon after I awoke. I tried going to sleep again and it was much later in the night that a close sequence of semi-lucid dreams appeared. I was in a shop where a relative was buying clothes. Afterwards I placed some goods into the boot of a car and tripped where I lifted a piece of wood high into the air. Someone laughed that I must of thought the wood would attract the car through gravity. I then received information from a little girl that some people were trying to catch me out of a mistaken grievance. Finally I was back in rented accommodation. I saw people out the window and went running to nearby rooms to cry for help. I returned to my room and took out my wooden tennis racket. I lifted the racket in a defensive manner as I approached the front door. People barged in with handguns and I'd no choice but to surrender. I was sat down and inquisitioned in the kitchen. They asked me for a few details about the owner and sent members of their team to retrieve items from the rooms. They then presented me with powdered drugs demanded I take them. They told me they wanted to use them to get information out of me as if they were a truth serum. I struck a sycophantic tone and pleaded that they could take whatever they wanted from the house instead. I was worried that the drugs contained poison. Eventually I agreed to take a minuscule amount of the drug but they insisted that the person beside me would use a straw on me and check that I had taken it. I did so and felt slightly tipsy before awakening.
Michael McMahon

It's not often you can say you were knocked out into awakening!
Michael McMahon

Violence can sometimes be justified if it's in the name of proportional self-defence. Likewise bad traits can very rarely come in handy. Typical examples might be an aggressive drill sergeant needed to toughen up troops before a war or a psychopathic businessman willing to fire subordinates to prevent bankruptcy. However we can see that in 99% of circumstances such traits would be wholly unacceptable and be little more than bullying. There might be tiny silver linings to all evil dispositions but this doesn't mean we should try to rationalise it away and indulge ourselves. Just because starving ancient tribes might have had to vie against each other for unclaimed land doesn't imply that we should be tempted to do so in the modern era. The decadence of evil is one reason why sinister individuals can deceive victims by displaying a hedonistic false charm. You could say that evil is fun until you become the victim. So evil themes in dreams might also be there to test our adaptability should we ever need to fight evil with an opposing form of evil.
Michael McMahon

The latest vivid dream to report was where I visualised Russia invading the south of Ireland instead of Ukraine. I was livid at how outnumbered we were. I watched news reports of Cork residents ambushing the invaders. I checked into a hotel near the conflict zone and the receptionist had a lyrical tone of voice that made me suspicious of her. The next scene was where I was on the roof of the hotel. A soldier on a ladder then captured me and threw me off to my death! The dream not only helped my empathy towards Ukraine but the simulation of bravery gave me more confidence to deal with my own personal problems.
Michael McMahon

I was waiting for court to become free for a tennis tournament match. I was called to the club house and told that we'd play boxing instead of tennis. I took off my shoes and was about to put on sandals before I noticed a few centipedes crawling on them. What a surprising dream! I'll need to toughen up my tennis game!
Michael McMahon

Speaking to yourself in the third person might begin to sound like a prophetic dream!

Stranger Than Fiction (2006) - Narration Freakout Scene (2/9)

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream