Non-Duality is terrifying

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Atla

Re: Non-Duality is terrifying

Post by Atla »

Greta wrote: April 4th, 2020, 7:49 pm I would agree that dualism is more a matter of perception rather than ontology. It is broadly true, but it ignores transitional states.

Using your examples above: Inside - outside - on the verandah. Short - tall - average. Hot - cold - warm. Physical - mental - sensation. Light - dark - dusk. Matter - space - energy. Even digital 1s and 0s - the gold standards of duality - have been rendered triunal by quantum computing, its qBits capable of 1 and 0 simultaneously.

It depends on perspective. The Earth can be said to be covered by land and ocean (with beaches in between) but, land and sea can simply be seen as features of the Earth's surface, ie. non-dual.
Sort of, however ontologically there are no transitional states either between A and B, when A and B are made-up states to begin with. For example:

on the verandah: we have to divide the place into inside and outside first, so we can say that the verandah is the transition between them
average, warm, dusk: again, they are simply somewhere 'between' A and B, or where A and B 'meet', or where they 'transition'
physical, mental, sensation: probably all these are ontologically the same inseparable thing
matter - space - energy: probably all these are ontologically the same inseparable thing

And 1s and 0s are merely numbers (abstractions like all information), but I know that you disagree with this. But the circuits of computers are all built on the general principle that either current is flowing (1) or not (0), or some similar implementation, without any actual information-substance involved. Quantum computing isn't really 'triunal' either, 0 and 1 aren't special states within the superposition, more like there is 0, 1 and infinitely many 'in-between' values. They only take 0 or 1 when measured.
True philosophy points to the Moon
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Atla wrote: April 5th, 2020, 1:44 am
Greta wrote: April 4th, 2020, 7:49 pm I would agree that dualism is more a matter of perception rather than ontology. It is broadly true, but it ignores transitional states.

Using your examples above: Inside - outside - on the verandah. Short - tall - average. Hot - cold - warm. Physical - mental - sensation. Light - dark - dusk. Matter - space - energy. Even digital 1s and 0s - the gold standards of duality - have been rendered triunal by quantum computing, its qBits capable of 1 and 0 simultaneously.

It depends on perspective. The Earth can be said to be covered by land and ocean (with beaches in between) but, land and sea can simply be seen as features of the Earth's surface, ie. non-dual.
Sort of, however ontologically there are no transitional states either between A and B, when A and B are made-up states to begin with. For example:

on the verandah: we have to divide the place into inside and outside first, so we can say that the verandah is the transition between them
average, warm, dusk: again, they are simply somewhere 'between' A and B, or where A and B 'meet', or where they 'transition'
physical, mental, sensation: probably all these are ontologically the same inseparable thing
matter - space - energy: probably all these are ontologically the same inseparable thing

And 1s and 0s are merely numbers (abstractions like all information), but I know that you disagree with this. But the circuits of computers are all built on the general principle that either current is flowing (1) or not (0), or some similar implementation, without any actual information-substance involved. Quantum computing isn't really 'triunal' either, 0 and 1 aren't special states within the superposition, more like there is 0, 1 and infinitely many 'in-between' values. They only take 0 or 1 when measured.
I don't see them as made up. For instance, night and day are not entirely inventions. One can say that any given point on the Earth will spend some time facing towards or away from the Sun to some extent. Yet, there are transition periods as the Sun goes lower in the sky, to fall behind the horizon and, for a short time, continue to glow from below the horizon. Once the glow from behind the horizon is gone, there is night. A fairly definite state. Obviously the converse applies with sunrise etc.

It depends on one's perspective.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Greta wrote: April 5th, 2020, 1:58 am I don't see them as made up. For instance, night and day are not entirely inventions. One can say that any given point on the Earth will spend some time facing towards or away from the Sun to some extent. Yet, there are transition periods as the Sun goes lower in the sky, to fall behind the horizon and, for a short time, continue to glow from below the horizon. Once the glow from behind the horizon is gone, there is night. A fairly definite state. Obviously the converse applies with sunrise etc.

Important from a local everyday perspective, but made-up, irrelevant when it comes to an 'absolute' ontological perspective. For example even during night, we are facing trillions of stars, they are just farther away, and such positions don't fundamentally make a difference anyway.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Atla wrote: April 5th, 2020, 2:18 am
Greta wrote: April 5th, 2020, 1:58 am I don't see them as made up. For instance, night and day are not entirely inventions. One can say that any given point on the Earth will spend some time facing towards or away from the Sun to some extent. Yet, there are transition periods as the Sun goes lower in the sky, to fall behind the horizon and, for a short time, continue to glow from below the horizon. Once the glow from behind the horizon is gone, there is night. A fairly definite state. Obviously the converse applies with sunrise etc.

Important from a local everyday perspective, but made-up, irrelevant when it comes to an 'absolute' ontological perspective. For example even during night, we are facing trillions of stars, they are just farther away, and such positions don't fundamentally make a difference anyway.
Point taken, but there remains an objective component to the day/night/twilight triune. That is, heat. When you boil reality down to its very basics, it comes down to distribution of heat. There can be no debate about that, unless our fundamental perspective of reality is wildly wrong, a possibility we can never entirely discount.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Greta wrote: April 5th, 2020, 5:38 am Point taken, but there remains an objective component to the day/night/twilight triune. That is, heat. When you boil reality down to its very basics, it comes down to distribution of heat. There can be no debate about that, unless our fundamental perspective of reality is wildly wrong, a possibility we can never entirely discount.
First time I hear that. Why should the distribution of heat matter more than the distribution of other physical quantities?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Atla wrote: April 5th, 2020, 6:05 am
Greta wrote: April 5th, 2020, 5:38 am Point taken, but there remains an objective component to the day/night/twilight triune. That is, heat. When you boil reality down to its very basics, it comes down to distribution of heat. There can be no debate about that, unless our fundamental perspective of reality is wildly wrong, a possibility we can never entirely discount.
First time I hear that. Why should the distribution of heat matter more than the distribution of other physical quantities?
Because nothing can happen unless the temperature is above absolute zero.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Greta wrote: April 5th, 2020, 6:33 am
Atla wrote: April 5th, 2020, 6:05 am
And without matter, energy couldn't push around anything. Sure, a human is necessarily bound to a changing universe (at least from our perspective), but I see no reason to treat energy in a special way.
creation

Post by creation »

Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm I begin by saying that possibly not everyone will understand this, because of the complexity of putting to words non-dual ideas by dualistic ideas (Language).
This is just an excuse, as explaining thee one and only One in words is really extremely simple, and thus not complex at all.
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm Understand that proposing a separation between Duality and Non-duality is already a dualistic notion of the mind.
Any notion of actual separation exists only in the brain. The human brain is actually the thing that makes thee One appear separate. The brain does this by compartmentalizing and separating with names and by labels.
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm So bear with me the complexity of the matter, and sorry if I contradict myself in anyway.
If you contradict (your-self, which by the way is a very separated, wrong, and contradictory dual word in and of itself, just in case you had not noticed before), but anyway, if you contradict, then why?
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm I just truly discovered this notion of "wholeness", "unity" or "oneness" from non-duality.
Did you truly just discover this, or did you really learn this from some other source?
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm This idea is very frightening for me, because it collapses my experience of reality. Awareness is all that there is, every other thing is a mind-created concept.
What is this 'mind' thing exactly?

Could it be the case that even this 'mind' thing is actually just another created by the human brain concept? After all, there are not many people at all that are able to agree on what this 'mind' thing is exactly.
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm I will not explain non-duality in depth and the big metaphysical implications of it as it is still a very fresh idea that is nurturing my mind. I will just ponder of the ideas that have entered my mind, and are intelligible as of now. So, Non-Duality is awareness itself. There is no separation of ego/thought or object/subject.
But there is plenty of separation going on by that ego separating it 'self', though thought, object and subject.
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm Precisely because experience is all it is, and experience IS consciousness.
'Experience' is experience, and, 'Consciousness' is Consciousness.

Consciousness is just being Aware of ALL-THERE-IS.
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm There is no experiential state if there is no awareness, therefore "being" is all there truly is. This is without having this "I" that is assumed to be doing the experiencing.
You are confusing and conflating thee one and only 'I', the Being with Awareness and Consciousness of ALL-THERE-IS, with the human 'i', the being that separates with names and labels, what essentially is not, and can not be, separated.
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm For some this mystical ego-transcendence is beautiful, because of the divine nature of it(How this pure state of awareness feels). And also because it is the ultimate truth. It is the true nature of nature. Duality is the greatest enemy to non-duality (Obviously). But get this, in order to reach non-duality you MUST purge the duality of the mind. So, having a firmly dualistic mind will not comprehend this in any way.
Is the reason 'you' can not understand and comprehend this fully yet is because 'you' are a firmly dualistic creature by nature?
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm Because non-duality is experienced, it is not known by a rational explanation.
But it is already KNOWN by and through rational explanation. This is because Conscious Awareness KNOWS the rational explanation ALREADY. The dual nature of being a human being does not yet know this rational explanation, and so will make the ridiculous and stupid comments and remarks like; "Non-duality is not known by a rational explanation".
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm For the explanation of it is dualistic in nature,
No it is not. This is because there is only thee Truly One, and therefore, only the Truly One Truth as well, which obviously holds the rational explanation.

Dualistic human thinking continue to state these truly wrong dualistic irrational thoughts, which you have just said and expressed as though it was some sort of truth.
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm because language is dualistic and always implies separation.
The language you choose to use may cause an appearance of separation, this is because 'you' are firmly held in dualistic thought.
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm People engage in meditation to reach this perceptual change of awareness.
Maybe so, but it is not necessarily so, needed.
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm My biggest fear is knowing that everything I have experienced up until now has been an illusion.
Will you provide any examples?
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm A product of the mind's intrinsic tendency to dualism. Everything seems false, nothing is real. Truth is just one. Up until now my philosophical "truths"(Or any thought of that matter) have been dualistic. So, I reach some sort of existential crisis or nihilistic crisis in nature. Not only that, but all of my dreams, hopes, my personal realizations are far from truth. Any meaning becomes meaningless. It is not worth living for something at it is just a concept, a construct of the mind that separates me and true reality. In a crude way, it is all fake. I can't even think without separation so it troubles me more.
If thinking happens without separation, then you are an extremely long way from understanding and knowing thee One.
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm I seem to be on the brink of death speaking about these troubling thoughts.
Well that is a prime example of the ego at work, "rationalizing".
Tosen wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm For now, everything seems bearable. But I don't know where I will end up if this destroys me. Any thoughts to this?
If all this was just about that ego 'i' and 'it' wondering where 'it' will supposedly "end up", as though that is of any importance, then what this post started out as very quickly turned around to that ego only caring at 'its' 'self'.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Atla wrote: April 5th, 2020, 7:07 am
Greta wrote: April 5th, 2020, 6:33 am
And without matter, energy couldn't push around anything. Sure, a human is necessarily bound to a changing universe (at least from our perspective), but I see no reason to treat energy in a special way.
Einstein showed us that, without energy, there is no matter.

The words "special" in context is hard to make sense of, but energy is at least a great mystery. No one knows exactly what it is or how it came to be.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Greta wrote: April 5th, 2020, 6:50 pmEinstein showed us that, without energy, there is no matter.
The m in his famous equation E = mc2 stands for mass rather than for matter: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/equi ... cAbouEoMc2
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul, no way, man! I'm pretty sure Einstein's equation says that the number of Elephants in a room equals Morality times Confirmation bias squared.

Or - and this is a pretty wild idea, but hear me out - Einstein's equation might just show us the relationship of energy to matter, that energy can be turned into matter via fusion and matter can be turned into energy by fission. Thus, energy and matter are fundamentally the same, being either in diffuse or compressed form.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Greta wrote: April 6th, 2020, 12:35 am Consul, no way, man! I'm pretty sure Einstein's equation says that the number of Elephants in a room equals Morality times Confirmation bias squared.

Or - and this is a pretty wild idea, but hear me out - Einstein's equation might just show us the relationship of energy to matter, that energy can be turned into matter via fusion and matter can be turned into energy by fission. Thus, energy and matter are fundamentally the same, being either in diffuse or compressed form.
If energy and matter are fundamentally the same (which I think is obviously the case), then it makes no sense to me to treat energy in a special way (like it was more fundamental or something), and say that without energy, there is no matter.

Some people could say the opposite, that therefore matter is special, and without matter, there is no energy.

I think some people rather go with the first one though (without energy, there is no matter) because energy is such a fascinating, ethereal, hard-to-pin-down concept compared to matter.
Bluemist

Post by Bluemist »

Consul wrote: April 4th, 2020, 10:19 pm
Bluemist wrote: March 26th, 2020, 6:42 pmWe can't think logically in anything more complicated than binary logic.
Yes, we can: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-manyvalued/
OK, I'll take that back. We can't even understand binary logic.
The following display lists historical diagrams invented by logicians to show what 'All A is B',
https://cdn.britannica.com/s:700x500/80 ... -logic.jpg
The only one that is clear is Euler's, and it is incomplete or at least not comprehensive of the range of possibilities.
If you don't believe in telekinesis then raise your right hand :wink:
Consul

Post by Consul »

Clear definitions or descriptions of Eastern/Buddhist nondualism are very hard to come by. Here's one that isn't very clear:

"nondualism: the view that reality is actually one (not composed of separate entities), that the usual dualisms of mind/body, good/evil, self/other, active/passive are superficial judgments of convenience. Nondual reality is emptiness, nothingness."

(Carter, Robert E. The Kyoto School: An Introduction. New York: SUNY Press, 2013. p. 178)

First of all, "oneness" can refer to identity and it can refer to unity. Identity entails unity; but unity doesn't entail identity, since two or more things can be united in the sense of constituting a unitary whole without being identical to one another.

The opposite of separateness in the sense of withdrawnness from others, disjoinedness, disconnectednees, or detachedness isn't identity or nondifference. To say that A isn't separate from B is not to say that A = B.

It's not clear to me what it means to say that "reality is actually one":
Is 1 the number of entities in reality, the number of kinds of entities in reality, the number of basic kinds of entities in reality?

When Buddhists speak of "emptiness", they mean emptiness of substance and essence. For them, the elements of being are momentary events devoid of a substantial substrate and an intrinsic nature. Those events have only extrinsic, relational properties, and the universe is nothing but a dynamic causal-spatial-temporal structure of such events. So Buddhist ontology is a combination of pure eventism and dynamic relationalism/structuralism.

However, experiential events include qualia that aren't relational properties; so I'm not sure Buddhist ontology is internally coherent.

What exactly does it mean to say that "the usual dualisms of mind/body, good/evil, self/other, active/passive are superficial judgments of convenience"?
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote: July 12th, 2021, 12:54 pm Clear definitions or descriptions of Eastern/Buddhist nondualism are very hard to come by. Here's one that isn't very clear:

"nondualism: the view that reality is actually one (not composed of separate entities), that the usual dualisms of mind/body, good/evil, self/other, active/passive are superficial judgments of convenience. Nondual reality is emptiness, nothingness."

(Carter, Robert E. The Kyoto School: An Introduction. New York: SUNY Press, 2013. p. 178)

First of all, "oneness" can refer to identity and it can refer to unity. Identity entails unity; but unity doesn't entail identity, since two or more things can be united in the sense of constituting a unitary whole without being identical to one another.

The opposite of separateness in the sense of withdrawnness from others, disjoinedness, disconnectednees, or detachedness isn't identity or nondifference. To say that A isn't separate from B is not to say that A = B.

It's not clear to me what it means to say that "reality is actually one":
Is 1 the number of entities in reality, the number of kinds of entities in reality, the number of basic kinds of entities in reality?

When Buddhists speak of "emptiness", they mean emptiness of substance and essence. For them, the elements of being are momentary events devoid of a substantial substrate and an intrinsic nature. Those events have only extrinsic, relational properties, and the universe is nothing but a dynamic causal-spatial-temporal structure of such events. So Buddhist ontology is a combination of pure eventism and dynamic relationalism/structuralism.

However, experiential events include qualia that aren't relational properties; so I'm not sure Buddhist ontology is internally coherent.

What exactly does it mean to say that "the usual dualisms of mind/body, good/evil, self/other, active/passive are superficial judgments of convenience"?
The western metaphysical theory of idealism(immaterialism) is basically like eastern non-dualism, because eastern non-dualism and western idealism are each based on individual minds and/or absolute mind as two aspects of existence.

For both eastern non-dualism and western idealism existence is not basically material : conscious experience is formed from mind. I am not claiming there is nothing 'out there' i.e. some material thing in itself, but if so the thing in itself is vague and uncertain.

To claim inferiority or superficiality for "the usual dualisms" is probably a sneaky claim that absolute mind is synonymous with God. It may be the case that absolute mind is synonymous with God, but there has to be an argument before that should be accepted.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream