Non-Duality is terrifying

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
anni

Re: Non-Duality is terrifying

Post by anni »

"Nondualism is NOT idealism."

I know that but I am still not quite sure- where exactly are the differences?
Atla

Post by Atla »

anni wrote: April 4th, 2022, 10:29 am "Nondualism is NOT idealism."

I know that but I am still not quite sure- where exactly are the differences?
I'd say, Descartes and others made it official that there is a mental/material split. The old mind/body problem, set into stone. So most of Western philosophy can be divided into two camps: idealists who hold that the mental is fundamental, and materialists who hold that the material is fundamental. (And there a few lesser camps who think that they are equally fundamental etc.)

So these two camps have been duking it out for centuries, trying to figure out who is right. Idealists think that existence is fundamentally mental, it's made of ideas, consciousness, experience etc. For example matter is just something that appears in consciousness. Or that the world is literally in our mind. Things like this.

Nondualism however holds that the mental/material split never existed in the first place because they are one and the same thing, so every camp above is slightly crazy.
True philosophy points to the Moon
anni

Post by anni »

Thanks.

I was just going to write that:

As I understood it: Idealism is the idea of the primacy of the mental over material? And non duality says that there is no difference between the mental and material - its all one? Right?
Atla

Post by Atla »

anni wrote: April 4th, 2022, 10:44 am Thanks.

I was just going to write that:

As I understood it: Idealism is the idea of the primacy of the mental over material? And non duality says that there is no difference between the mental and material - its all one? Right?
Yeah mental and material are basically one and the same thing, just conceptualized in two different ways (conceptualized using two different parts of our minds, presumably).

All mental contect can be said to be made of matter. All material things can be said to be part of the "first-person-view consciousness".

"Matter" itself is actually just an empty idea that we use to describe the world from an third-person-view perspective. It's a description, conceptualized existence.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Atla wrote: April 4th, 2022, 10:24 am
SteveKlinko wrote: April 4th, 2022, 8:05 am Non Duality (Idealism)
Idealism is based on ideas, and/or the primacy of the mental over the material. Nondualism is NOT idealism.
Yes, but in general Non Dualism is either Physicalism or Idealism. I thought this thread headed down the Idealism path. Maybe I was wrong.
Atla

Post by Atla »

SteveKlinko wrote: April 4th, 2022, 11:35 am
Idealism is based on ideas, and/or the primacy of the mental over the material. Nondualism is NOT idealism.
Yes, but in general Non Dualism is either Physicalism or Idealism. I thought this thread headed down the Idealism path. Maybe I was wrong.
Nondualism isn't physicalism or idealism.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Atla wrote: April 4th, 2022, 12:15 pm
Ok, we have an Impasse.
anni

Post by anni »

Well, it seems that they are different definition of idealism..

https://rupertspira.com/non-duality/blo ... on-duality
Atla

Post by Atla »

SteveKlinko wrote: April 5th, 2022, 11:27 am
Ok, we have an Impasse.
Again: materialism and idealism are based on dualism. Again: I'm a nondualist.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Atla wrote: April 5th, 2022, 12:03 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: April 5th, 2022, 11:27 am
Ok, we have an Impasse.
Again: materialism and idealism are based on dualism. Again: I'm a nondualist.
In what possible sense can Materialism or Idealism be considered Dualistic.
Atla

Post by Atla »

SteveKlinko wrote: April 6th, 2022, 7:24 am In what possible sense can Materialism or Idealism be considered Dualistic.
They are derived from the mind-body dualism. As I wrote above:
Atla wrote:I'd say, Descartes and others made it official that there is a mental/material split. The old mind/body problem, set into stone. So most of Western philosophy can be divided into two camps: idealists who hold that the mental is fundamental, and materialists who hold that the material is fundamental. (And there a few lesser camps who think that they are equally fundamental etc.)

So these two camps have been duking it out for centuries, trying to figure out who is right. Idealists think that existence is fundamentally mental, it's made of ideas, consciousness, experience etc. For example matter is just something that appears in consciousness. Or that the world is literally in our mind. Things like this.

Nondualism however holds that the mental/material split never existed in the first place because they are one and the same thing, so every camp above is slightly crazy.
Most contemporary Western philosophers are extremely inept, so they'll even convince themselves that views like eliminative materialism for example are true monisms, they aren't based on dualism.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Atla wrote: April 6th, 2022, 12:41 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: April 6th, 2022, 7:24 am In what possible sense can Materialism or Idealism be considered Dualistic.
Atla wrote:I'd say, Descartes and others made it official that there is a mental/material split. The old mind/body problem, set into stone. So most of Western philosophy can be divided into two camps: idealists who hold that the mental is fundamental, and materialists who hold that the material is fundamental. (And there a few lesser camps who think that they are equally fundamental etc.)

Most contemporary Western philosophers are extremely inept, so they'll even convince themselves that views like eliminative materialism for example are true monisms, they aren't based on dualism.
I don't think Materialists think their Materialism is based on Dualism and I don't think Idealists think their Idealism is based on Dualism. Materialists believe everything is a Phenomenon of the Physical Universe that Science can describe. They Believe Consciousness is a Material (Matter, Energy Space) Phenomenon. Everything is Physical. There is no Dualism in this. Idealists believe everything is a Phenomenon of Consciousness. They believe the Material World is a Conscious Phenomenon. Everything is Consciousness. There is no Dualism in this either. Both of these viewpoints may talk about how their viewpoint is related to Dualism but that's just talk. Their Monisms have no actual Basis or derivation from Dualism.

I think your position is that there is no such things as Material and Consciousness. So you think you are starting from a Non Dualist position. But you still have to formulate your Non Dualism by stating the Non Existence of the Material and the Conscious. I think you are drowning yourself with Semantics and definitions.

Impasse!!!!
Atla

Post by Atla »

SteveKlinko wrote: April 7th, 2022, 7:48 am
Atla wrote: April 6th, 2022, 12:41 pm

I don't think Materialists think their Materialism is based on Dualism and I don't think Idealists think their Idealism is based on Dualism. Materialists believe everything is a Phenomenon of the Physical Universe that Science can describe. They Believe Consciousness is a Material (Matter, Energy Space) Phenomenon. Everything is Physical. There is no Dualism in this. Idealists believe everything is a Phenomenon of Consciousness. They believe the Material World is a Conscious Phenomenon. Everything is Consciousness. There is no Dualism in this either. Both of these viewpoints may talk about how their viewpoint is related to Dualism but that's just talk. Their Monisms have no actual Basis or derivation from Dualism.

I think your position is that there is no such things as Material and Consciousness. So you think you are starting from a Non Dualist position. But you still have to formulate your Non Dualism by stating the Non Existence of the Material and the Conscious. I think you are drowning yourself with Semantics and definitions.

Impasse!!!!
Again: yes that's what materialists and idealists BELIEVE and they are wrong. Western philosophers have been chasing their own tails for at least 400 years.
Atla

Post by Atla »

SteveKlinko wrote: April 7th, 2022, 7:48 am I don't think Materialists think their Materialism is based on Dualism and I don't think Idealists think their Idealism is based on Dualism. Materialists believe everything is a Phenomenon of the Physical Universe that Science can describe. They Believe Consciousness is a Material (Matter, Energy Space) Phenomenon. Everything is Physical. There is no Dualism in this. Idealists believe everything is a Phenomenon of Consciousness. They believe the Material World is a Conscious Phenomenon. Everything is Consciousness. There is no Dualism in this either. Both of these viewpoints may talk about how their viewpoint is related to Dualism but that's just talk. Their Monisms have no actual Basis or derivation from Dualism.

Impasse!!!!
Our philosophers have convinced themselves that the definitions are:

materialism: existence is material
idealism: existence is mental

But the real definitions are:
materialism: the world is material, not mental
idealism: the world is mental, not material

"Exclusory" dualisms, this but not that. Deep within the Western psyche, pervasive in all Western thinking is a universal split between the mental and metarial, and we simply no longer notice this. There is an inherent double-vision, where one of the two is blank, but it's still a double-vision. It's really interesting, I didn't realize this either before science forced nondual thinking on me. The split is deep down at the base of our thinking, covered by other layers and we just don't see that it's there.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Atla wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:37 am
SteveKlinko wrote: April 7th, 2022, 7:48 am I don't think Materialists think their Materialism is based on Dualism and I don't think Idealists think their Idealism is based on Dualism. Materialists believe everything is a Phenomenon of the Physical Universe that Science can describe. They Believe Consciousness is a Material (Matter, Energy Space) Phenomenon. Everything is Physical. There is no Dualism in this. Idealists believe everything is a Phenomenon of Consciousness. They believe the Material World is a Conscious Phenomenon. Everything is Consciousness. There is no Dualism in this either. Both of these viewpoints may talk about how their viewpoint is related to Dualism but that's just talk. Their Monisms have no actual Basis or derivation from Dualism.

Impasse!!!!
Our philosophers have convinced themselves that the definitions are:

materialism: existence is material
idealism: existence is mental

But the real definitions are:
materialism: the world is material, not mental
idealism: the world is mental, not material

"Exclusory" dualisms, this but not that. Deep within the Western psyche, pervasive in all Western thinking is a universal split between the mental and metarial, and we simply no longer notice this. There is an inherent double-vision, where one of the two is blank, but it's still a double-vision. It's really interesting, I didn't realize this either before science forced nondual thinking on me. The split is deep down at the base of our thinking, covered by other layers and we just don't see that it's there.
I think your distinctions make no difference.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream