Is Mathematics a Subset of Logic?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Joseph47
New Trial Member

Is Mathematics a Subset of Logic?

Post by Joseph47 »

I have done a little searching on the Web concerning logic versus mathematics, and it seems that most people whose ideas about logic and mathematics that I've encountered conclude that logic is a branch of mathematics. A mathematician explicitly stated that in a book I read. But is that correct?

Is not logic a set of principles that undergirds all language, all reasoning, and all relationships between objects and entities? If this is the case, then I ask if mathematics undergirds all reasoning, all language, and all relationships between all realities -- including relationships between thoughts and ideas. It seems evident to me that formal symbolic language is but a tiny subset of logic and that mathematics is also a subset of the "universal" logic that undergirds all reality.

I wish for replies to my question: Is mathematics a subset of logic? If not, how can the claim that all logical reasoning is a branch of mathematics be defended? By the way, I just looked up "logic" in my The American Heritage Dictionary and found several definitions. I want to list two of the definitions. Definition 2c.: "The formal guiding principles of a discipline, school, or science." Def. 4: "The relationship between elements and between an element and the whole in a set of objects, individuals, principles or events...."

How could mathematics be properly claimed to describe or define every set of elements and relationships between elements, including moral principles, an intensity of desire, etc.? It appears to me evident that mathematics cannot subsume all logical principles or all of logical reasoning. And is not logic included in every principle of logical reasoning?

Does anyone else have thoughts on this issue? I've given much thought to it over several decades, and I can hardly believe that it is proper to declare that logic (including all the definitions of logic) is a subset of mathematics. As I see it, the converse is the case.
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Re: Is Mathematics a Subset of Logic?

Post by ktz »

Sounds like a semantic issue. It's important to distinguish between formal logic and propositional calculus, and just run of the mill informal usages of the term logic. Mathematics gives rigorous definitions to things within the scope of its field of study -- for example, a "group" in mathematics has a very distinct definition compared to informal usage of the term, allowing for certain kinds of verifiable mathematical proofs and theorems to be made. When a mathematician says that logic is a branch of mathematics, what he is saying, per wikipedia, is that there are groups of researchers pursuing two distinct areas of research: the application of the techniques of formal logic to mathematics and mathematical reasoning, as well as in the other direction, the application of mathematical techniques to the representation and analysis of formal logic. Logic can still exist in informal forms outside of mathematics, or even other formal forms like in the context of philosophy or computational logic in computer science.

Mathematics is basically just the scientific study of number, quantity, and space. Logic is one area of study among many, and provides a set of tools to build upon the basic axiomatic foundations of mathematics. I don't think math subsumes the entire concept of logic nor the converse -- trying to make the case that mathematics is a subset of logic, to me that sounds like saying carpentry is a subset of tools to make wooden stuff. There are somewhat rigorous semantic meanings within these contexts, so I feel like it's important not to conflate informal ideas about them when reasoning about them.
Joseph47
New Trial Member

Post by Joseph47 »

ktz wrote: November 10th, 2018, 5:36 pm Sounds like a semantic issue. It's important to distinguish between formal logic and propositional calculus, and just run of the mill informal usages of the term logic. Mathematics gives rigorous definitions to things within the scope of its field of study -- for example, a "group" in mathematics has a very distinct definition compared to informal usage of the term, allowing for certain kinds of verifiable mathematical proofs and theorems to be made. When a mathematician says that logic is a branch of mathematics, what he is saying, per wikipedia, is that there are groups of researchers pursuing two distinct areas of research: the application of the techniques of formal logic to mathematics and mathematical reasoning, as well as in the other direction, the application of mathematical techniques to the representation and analysis of formal logic. Logic can still exist in informal forms outside of mathematics, or even other formal forms like in the context of philosophy or computational logic in computer science.

Mathematics is basically just the scientific study of number, quantity, and space. Logic is one area of study among many, and provides a set of tools to build upon the basic axiomatic foundations of mathematics. I don't think math subsumes the entire concept of logic nor the converse -- trying to make the case that mathematics is a subset of logic, to me that sounds like saying carpentry is a subset of tools to make wooden stuff. There are somewhat rigorous semantic meanings within these contexts, so I feel like it's important not to conflate informal ideas about them when reasoning about them.
You might be right that it's mainly a matter of semantics. After all, words only mean what we define them to mean. However, when a mathematician writes in a mathematics book that we arrive at a criterion for the number concept "...Not by logic, for logic has no existence independent of mathematics: it is only one phase of this multiphased necessity that we call mathematics...", I believe that there's more than semantics involved here. I believe that this mathematician, Tobias Dantzig, was intending to say that, whatever mathematics and logic are, logic is only a phase of mathematics. This seems, to me, terribly wrong-headed. Mathematics, as I see it, arises from the logical necessities that inhere in specifying relationships within the space-time continuum. My quote above was from Dantzig's book, Number: The Language of Science. It's a very good book, but I had some disagreements with certain of the philosophical claims made by the author. Of course, he was a mathematician, not a philosopher.
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

Oh, well the book you are citing is originally from 1930, during the pre-Godelian time when the ideas of Frege and Russell and Principia Mathematica held wide influence, and logicism was a popular conception. This is not nearly as popular of an idea today, you can read about some of the problems facing logicism/neologicism at SEP: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logi ... mProForLog

It's easy to take Dantzig's writings with a grain of salt when he himself writes at the beginning of the chapter you reference, "...by selecting reality as the theme of this concluding chapter, I am encroaching on a field foreign to my training... My interest lies exclusively in the position which the science of number occupies with respect to the general body of human knowledge." And as long as we're comfortable in the realm of semantics, saying that logic has no existence independent of mathematics may simply be saying that they are not distinct enough for logic to be used as a criterion for the connection to reality. It may not necessarily be implying that one subsumes the other -- Dantzig may be using the term "phase" metaphorically in the chemical sense like gas or liquid.

I also want to contest your use of the term logic as "set of principles that undergirds all language, all reasoning, and all relationships between objects and entities". This is an extremely broad usage of the term that would seemingly seek to include all of linguistics, philosophy, and physics. Consider for example the usages of the term "illogical". There is reasoning that occurs within the realm of intuition and "gut feelings" are not strictly logical, in that they are not necessarily bound to known facts and logical principles. There are events that occur that can also be characterized as illogical outcomes, because an analysis of the known data would not have predicted their occurence. Thus we can start to draw a boundary, as logic generally refers to mathematical operators that allow us to draw inferences based on known information. Logic as an abstraction operates within the realm of known quantities, and the universe contains plenty of unknowns about which logical reasoning is not yet possible, requiring first mathematical or other observational characterizations so that we can understand them well enough to begin to apply logical tools to their existence.
Joseph47
New Trial Member

Post by Joseph47 »

ktz wrote: November 13th, 2018, 9:24 am Oh, well the book you are citing is originally from 1930, during the pre-Godelian time when the ideas of Frege and Russell and Principia Mathematica held wide influence, and logicism was a popular conception. This is not nearly as popular of an idea today, you can read about some of the problems facing logicism/neologicism at SEP: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logi ... mProForLog

It's easy to take Dantzig's writings with a grain of salt when he himself writes at the beginning of the chapter you reference, "...by selecting reality as the theme of this concluding chapter, I am encroaching on a field foreign to my training... My interest lies exclusively in the position which the science of number occupies with respect to the general body of human knowledge." And as long as we're comfortable in the realm of semantics, saying that logic has no existence independent of mathematics may simply be saying that they are not distinct enough for logic to be used as a criterion for the connection to reality. It may not necessarily be implying that one subsumes the other -- Dantzig may be using the term "phase" metaphorically in the chemical sense like gas or liquid.

I also want to contest your use of the term logic as "set of principles that undergirds all language, all reasoning, and all relationships between objects and entities". This is an extremely broad usage of the term that would seemingly seek to include all of linguistics, philosophy, and physics. Consider for example the usages of the term "illogical". There is reasoning that occurs within the realm of intuition and "gut feelings" are not strictly logical, in that they are not necessarily bound to known facts and logical principles. There are events that occur that can also be characterized as illogical outcomes, because an analysis of the known data would not have predicted their occurence. Thus we can start to draw a boundary, as logic generally refers to mathematical operators that allow us to draw inferences based on known information. Logic as an abstraction operates within the realm of known quantities, and the universe contains plenty of unknowns about which logical reasoning is not yet possible, requiring first mathematical or other observational characterizations so that we can understand them well enough to begin to apply logical tools to their existence.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

I really think math is a very specialized sector of logic but like anything applied purely from first principles the more tenuous or extended it gets the more corroborating evidence it needs until you push it to where Godel did and it breaks. Math seems to have a really wide net of applicability because of how atomized and structured the logic is. There's also chaos in the universe, chaos when math is extended too far, and you can see that the tools we have to evaluate the universe are all finite in their capacities and vary in range.

As for whether it's math that's a subset of logic or logic that's a subset of math, it seems like math - even though having a wider net and tighter accuracy - would still be a subset of logic. I would have to guess that people really took the claim seriously that logic is a form of math would likely be people who'd take the stance that conscious experience is a form of math and even there I'd have to disagree to the extent that it seems very much like a sort of ordered and recursive form of chaos that requires a constant degree of instability to function.

I think one of the biggest puzzles for me, one that I still don't feel like fully grasp, was the sinking of Ernst Mach's idea of logicism simply by there being mathematical equations of the sort that Godel found or things like pieces of paper with 'the statement on the other side of this sheet is false' backed by 'the statement on the other side of this sheet is true'. My intuitive problem with that is you can do scientific experiments all day to pry at hypotheses like cold fusion, you could try turning literal lead into gold with puffer Renaissance manuscripts, and it wouldn't mean that the scientific method is illogical. You can also play linguistic games like talking about square circles or ask whether God could create a stone too big for him to pick up, and at that point it demonstrates breaches of relevant range.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
barata

Post by barata »

most informative post of the forum.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream