How does one find True Knowledge?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
RJG

Re: How does one find True Knowledge?

Post by RJG »

chewybrian wrote:How can it be there for me to 'think' if it did not come from me? From what source do you suppose all these thoughts are popping into my head? I submit that the 'popping' into consciousness may simply be communication between the layers of consciousness. There is no reason to suppose that subconscious activity is immune from direction of the free will. One presumes that all the layers should be working for the common good. You don't think my unconscious is out to get me, do you?
I suspect that the thoughts that we experience (are consciously aware of) are all non-consciously created/generated within brain/memory interactions. Free-will presumes 'conscious' control. If we don't have conscious control over our thoughts then we don't have free-will. If we are just the 'experiencers' of our thoughts, then free-will is not possible.

chewybrian wrote:If I want to remember something and fail, my lower consciousness will continue working on the task as I move on to other things, unaware of the continued effort, and the answer may 'pop' into my head later.
But, "want" is not a 'conscious' choice, it is an 'experience'; an 'urge', imposed upon us. We don't choose/control our wants. Our wants control us; drive/motivate us to do as we do.

chewybrian wrote:If I decide to play a game of golf, then the thoughts that 'pop' into my head will center around possibilities on the golf course for a while. As I decide to walk to the green from my chip shot, I am not arriving on the green by a series of involuntary spasms, but neither am I giving any conscious attention to each step. It seems obvious that there are layers of consciousness in between your two options.
If we are just the 'experiencers' of thoughts (and sensations/urges/feeling), then we don't "decide" anything, ...nor can we "give conscious attention to" anything.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

RJG wrote: November 24th, 2018, 9:33 am
I suspect that...If...then...If...then...If...then...
It is good to see that we are in agreement.

I am teasing, but I will agree to the if...then statements, to the extent that they are possibilities, though we just don't know the real answers. But, they don't fit with my intuition and my experience of life. So, if the field is wide open, I will take a best guess and go with it as provisional truth. And, yes, I will admit that I want my life to have some tiny potential bit of meaning, so I am going to lean that way unless and until I am pulled a different way by the weight of evidence.

If I can make a choice, then perhaps I will choose good over evil and make the world a slightly better place when I am gone. If I am only a passive observer watching events unfold completely out of my control, then WHY? Why did prior generations make all the effort to survive and make progress? Is this hell, and have we been sentenced here to watch all this unfold without any chance to affect outcomes?

I'll say it once more. Nobody wants to watch Evel Knievel ride a roller coaster. I can't believe that is what we are experiencing. We can go 'off the rails' because there are no rails, other than the limits of physics and our own fear, laziness and such.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

Eduk wrote: November 24th, 2018, 9:05 am Ktz some interesting articles. It reminds me of something I heard the other day.
If you don't understand the latest science on a topic then you can't expect to be able to philosophy on the same subject. I can't remember the quote properly, I think it might have been Hawkins talking about physics. But the same applies here. You need to understand the lastest neuroscience before you can claim to be educated in consciousness.
I'm all for chatting and coming up with ideas but what I really object to is how adament people are that their particular non consensus theory is absolutely correct. Not sure why humans need this so much.
I appreciate the shared sentiment. On your last point, my current working theory is that a lot of people approach argument on complex topics with an end goal of feeling validated in their own thinking, rather than chipping away at the real work of understanding. Some people just care more about being right than finding out what is right. No one likes to be wrong, and it can be difficult to separate one's beliefs from self-esteem, I get that. But in my view the ability to do so is a sign of intellectual maturity rather than weakness of intellect. You may be interested in Carol Dweck's fixed vs. growth mindset which underpins my thinking on what you brought up. If you haven't looked into it before, Brainpickings has a good intro to the concept, as does the second article on Dweck from Aaron Swartz's Raw Nerve series.

I won't try to discourage anyone's efforts in this thread because these are extremely fascinating questions, and like you said about chatting and coming up with ideas I am encouraged that there are still people out there who think actively on these topics. But that being said I don't think anyone is about to publish what could be trivialized as a semantic edit of a single idea from Descartes 1637 Discourse on Method, when there is no reference to Kant or Hegel or any other major thinker who also tackled this particular ontological idea. It's good to come up with ideas, but one should make sure he or she is not reinventing wheels and try their best to understand the positions of other great thinkers who have considered the same question, in my view.
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.
RJG

Post by RJG »

To Fooloso4 et al -- It is impossible to think; pre-select our thoughts. If we pre-selected our thoughts, we would have to think to do so. But then those thoughts would also have to be pre-selected. Thus, since the pre-selection of thoughts would require pre-selecting other thoughts, the pre-selecting of thoughts would fall into an infinite regress and no thoughts would ever be selected. So, no, we cannot pre-select our thoughts; we cannot "think". We can only 'experience' the thoughts given to us (those that pop into our awareness).

ktz wrote:Some people just care more about being right than finding out what is right. No one likes to be wrong, and it can be difficult to separate one's beliefs from self-esteem, I get that.
...agreed, and it is also likewise difficult to separate one's indoctrinated beliefs from logical truths.

If we are truly searching for truths (rather than justifications for our feel-good beliefs), then the non-desirable-ness of the truth has no bearing or relevance to its truthfulness. If we accept logic as our means of making sense; as a means of establishing (logical) truths; as a means of obtaining "true knowledge", then good, bad, and ugly, and feel-goodness, are non-relevant.

Being strictly a monistic experiencer (of thoughts and other experiences), is not a desirable thing to be. We all want to believe in magic (aka logical impossibilities), we all want to be Evil Knievel; we all want meaning and purpose. But if logic is truth, then truth may be ugly.

So do we want (potentially) ugly logical truths, or feel-good fantasies? ...what do our wants want? ...hmm hmm.

ktz wrote:But that being said I don't think anyone is about to publish what could be trivialized as a semantic edit of a single idea from Descartes 1637 Discourse on Method, when there is no reference to Kant or Hegel or any other major thinker who also tackled this particular ontological idea. It's good to come up with ideas, but one should make sure he or she is not reinventing wheels and try their best to understand the positions of other great thinkers who have considered the same question, in my view.
That is well and nice to say, BUT, none of the "great thinkers" (including Kant/Hegel), were ever able to denounce that which made them "great".

All of them (that I know of) start their philosophy's with the flawed belief in their (superior) ability to "think". Without this, there is no purpose/meaning to their writings, their lives. They are psychologically incapable of denouncing the very thing that makes them great, ...they can't denounce the ability to think without denouncing their own importance/significance. Hence, we can never get truths from those that can't expose it.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

RJG wrote: November 24th, 2018, 8:59 am
These reflected steps do not help, or excuse the question-begging. For example, put yourself in Descartes mindset. Imagine yourself floating in complete pitch-blackness/nothingness. Imagine that all truths are gone (via "clean slate"). Now, what's next?

Next, the hearing (experiencing) of a voice called thoughts. That's all that exists at this moment. "Experiencing (of thought) happens/exist!" should be Descartes first premise. So then, what's next?

Next, comes the the thoughts saying "Wait, who/what is listening to (experiencing) these thoughts? If listening (experiencing) exists, then so must a 'listener' (an 'experiencer'). For without an experiencer, this experiencing of thoughts could not (be known) to happen. "Therefore an experiencer (named "I") exists! should be Descartes conclusion.

To pre-assume the existence of "I" in the first step (premise), is still "begging-the-question".
I think all you say is fine except for the last sentence. As I said, 'I think' is already a result of reflection and can be also expressed, as you suggest: 'experiencing of thought happens'. In this phase I know that I have thoughts. But although Descartes says 'I think', he has not yet found the "I" that connects his thoughts temporally. That requires another reflective step. So the first 'I think' does not necessarily contain the "I" he is looking for. 'Cogito ergo sum' is not an analytic sentence. It is a synthetic a priori statement. Husserl developed this kind of reflective thinking and created his phenomenological method to obtain an a priori basis for philosophy as a rigorous science.
ktz

Post by ktz »

RJG wrote: November 24th, 2018, 12:19 pm To Fooloso4 et al -- It is impossible to think; pre-select our thoughts. If we pre-selected our thoughts, we would have to think to do so. But then those thoughts would also have to be pre-selected. Thus, since the pre-selection of thoughts would require pre-selecting other thoughts, the pre-selecting of thoughts would fall into an infinite regress and no thoughts would ever be selected. So, no, we cannot pre-select our thoughts; we cannot "think". We can only 'experience' the thoughts given to us (those that pop into our awareness).
If you actually went and watched the Anil Seth and Susan Greenfield videos I supplied previously, they provide what I find to be a reasonable explanation for this Zeno's paradox-like construct you are trying to make here. The experience of consciousness occurs on a spectrum, with a certain threshhold of activity pushing a thought into our experience. Just as one can make oneself consciously aware of the act of breathing, the lack of doing so doesn't mean there are no neurons dedicated to this act when we are not conscious of it. Individual neurons make decisions based on rote, genetics, and a variety of other factors without our conscious input. The egg comes before the chicken in this case -- thought, and your so-called pre-selection of thought, occurs on a lower cellular level than the activity of neuronal assemblies that Greenfield indicates consciousness occurs. Choice still happens, but we are cellular beings composed of many small choices rather than a singular big one.
RJG wrote:That is well and nice to say, BUT, none of the "great thinkers" (including Kant/Hegel), were ever able to denounce that which made them "great".

All of them (that I know of) start their philosophy's with the flawed belief in their (superior) ability to "think". Without this, there is no purpose/meaning to their writings, their lives. They are psychologically incapable of denouncing the very thing that makes them great, ...they can't denounce the ability to think without denouncing their own importance/significance. Hence, we can never get truths from those that can't expose it.
I don't think I'm out of line to say that it seems a bit grandiose for any human to declare that someone else's life and writings have no purpose or meaning. Do you want to give me an example of a premise or contention that one of these writers hold with regard to a priori truth and experience that indicates this flawed belief? Or are you just looking for an excuse to discount the validity of any thinker besides yourself?
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

RJG:
All of them (that I know of) start their philosophy's with the flawed belief in their (superior) ability to "think".
All of them start with the desire to think. The reasons for making their work public are perhaps not so different than your own; although you absurdly think that you do not think, but nevertheless think that what you say is superior to what they have said.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:To Fooloso4 et al -- It is impossible to think; pre-select our thoughts. If we pre-selected our thoughts, we would have to think to do so. But then those thoughts would also have to be pre-selected. Thus, since the pre-selection of thoughts would require pre-selecting other thoughts, the pre-selecting of thoughts would fall into an infinite regress and no thoughts would ever be selected. So, no, we cannot pre-select our thoughts; we cannot "think". We can only 'experience' the thoughts given to us (those that pop into our awareness).
ktz wrote:If you actually went and watched the Anil Seth and Susan Greenfield videos I supplied previously, they provide what I find to be a reasonable explanation for this Zeno's paradox-like construct you are trying to make here.
Sorry, ktz, this argument is straightforward. There is no "zeno like paradox" here. There only seems to be a 'dislike' (and subsequent rejection, based on its dislike) of the conclusion.

If you see a flaw in the logic above, then please point it out. Otherwise name-calling something as "zeno-like", and suggesting that one go elsewhere for the answer, are common avoidance techniques by those who refuse to accept that which they don't 'like'.

Again, if you see a flaw in my reasoning/logic, then please point it out directly. Do not obfuscate, name-call, or send me elsewhere for the answer. You seem to be a very intelligent person, and I look forward to further discussions on various topics with you.

ktz wrote:The experience of consciousness occurs on a spectrum, with a certain threshhold of activity pushing a thought into our experience.
Although I agree consciousness is an experience (i.e. the specific experience of 'recognition' of one's bodily experiences/reactions, made possible by memory), but can one actually experience consciousness? ...or is it more correct to state that one is only conscious of their experiences (bodily reactions)?

How do 'you' define consciousness?

ktz wrote:Do you want to give me an example of a premise or contention that one of these writers hold with regard to a priori truth and experience that indicates this flawed belief?
Better yet, why not provide me a proof (by anyone!), that "thinking" (consciously authoring one's own thoughts) is logically possible. Hint: X<X is not logically possible.

Seriously, I would love to be proved wrong, (...no one, including me, wants to believe in an ugly truth). But, if you fail (as I suspect), and you ultimately realize that X<X is logically impossible (i.e. that thoughts cannot precede themselves to cause themselves), then I'll humbly accept your apology for the "being a bit grandiose" and "an excuse to discount the validity of others" derogatory comments.

I'm rooting for you. Prove away!

RJG wrote:All of them (that I know of) start their philosophy's with the flawed belief in their (superior) ability to "think".
Fooloso4 wrote:All of them start with the desire to think.
I would suspect that their initial desire is to know truth; true knowledge. From there, the thoughts would seemingly automatically flow.

Fooloso4 wrote:The reasons for making their work public are perhaps not so different than your own…
Unlike them, my livelihood (and purpose/meaning in life) is not reliant upon my philosophy. There is no vested interest for me. I've already made my millions. Although I am content, I still have a strong desire to know the 'real' truths of reality before I croak. I know and have accepted that "none of us are getting out of here alive". The least I can do before this happens, is to try to know "true knowledge" good, bad, or ugly.

Fooloso4 wrote:...although you absurdly think that you do not think, but nevertheless think that what you say is superior to what they have said.
Yes, I experience the thoughts that "thinking" (authoring thoughts) is not logically possible. Absurd? ...sure seems that way. But logically, it can be no other way.

If we don't want to accept logic, then anything is possible.
ktz

Post by ktz »

RJG wrote: November 24th, 2018, 2:27 pm
RJG wrote:To Fooloso4 et al -- It is impossible to think; pre-select our thoughts. If we pre-selected our thoughts, we would have to think to do so. But then those thoughts would also have to be pre-selected. Thus, since the pre-selection of thoughts would require pre-selecting other thoughts, the pre-selecting of thoughts would fall into an infinite regress and no thoughts would ever be selected. So, no, we cannot pre-select our thoughts; we cannot "think". We can only 'experience' the thoughts given to us (those that pop into our awareness).
ktz wrote:If you actually went and watched the Anil Seth and Susan Greenfield videos I supplied previously, they provide what I find to be a reasonable explanation for this Zeno's paradox-like construct you are trying to make here.
Sorry, ktz, this argument is straightforward. There is no "zeno like paradox" here. There only seems to be a 'dislike' (and subsequent rejection, based on its dislike) of the conclusion.

If you see a flaw in the logic above, then please point it out. Otherwise name-calling something as "zeno-like", and suggesting that one go elsewhere for the answer, are common avoidance techniques by those who refuse to accept that which they don't 'like'.
If you don't know what Zeno's paradox is it might be a good idea of getting in the habit of typing unknown ideas into Google, or asking a straightforward question like "What's Zeno's paradox?" instead of making assumptions of ill will. I'm not trying to obfuscate anything. The logical case you made was similar to a known set of problems in philosophy called Zeno's paradoxes. There's a wikipedia article that a person willing to learn could visit here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno%27s_paradoxes

Basically, Zeno's paradoxes describe situations where one believes that there is an infinite chain of events that makes a certain result paradoxical. For example, you can say that because there always exists a halfway point. between a starting point and ending point, someone can never walk from start to finish because between every two points there will always be another halfway point before getting there. This is obviously false, because we have all had the experience of walking from an arbitrary point A to a point B, and modern mathematical calculus (unavailable to Zeno) explains how the limit of the halving function x/2 approaches zero.

Anyway, the counter-example to your logic is fairly simple. You are making the case that it is paradoxical for a thought to precede itself. This is basically a chicken-or-the-egg argument, which is similar to infinite recursion of Zeno's paradoxes. Can I make a reference to the chicken and the egg without being accused of obfuscation? By saying that the experience of a thought must precede the cause of a thought, basically you're saying that you can't have chickens because in order to have a chicken you must have had an egg, but in order to have an egg you must have had a chicken. This is a fallacious argument, not least because we do have chickens and we do have eggs in real life. In this particular context, I have provided to you the available arguments of psychologist Susan Blackmore citing philosopher of science Dan Dennett, as well as the perspectives of Greenfield and Seth to try and assist you in expanding your understanding of how thought happens. Essentially, your brain is composed of smaller units called neurons. Each neuron is capable of performing an action potential, a choice to fire or not fire. Collections of neurons operate together to send signals to each other which compose thought. I give the example of breathing, normally a subconscious activity, but one that you can direct your consciousness towards. Because neurons can independently formulate signals a priori to our experience of the signals themselves, below the threshhold of neuron activity required for consciousness or memory imprints, your argument is flawed that one must be aware of a thought before one can experience that thought.

It's okay to be out of your depth! I know it can be uncomfortable. But to learn and receive the answers you must be willing to educate yourself via the ideas of others by reading their books and watching them speak. If you are unwilling to educate yourself and look outside your own direct lines of thinking, and only wait for others to deliver answers to you on a silver platter, you will always be fettered by the limitations of your own creativity and the patience of other forum-goers. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest to someone seeking the answer to a question that they ought to visit the place where the answer is located. If someone asks me what two plus two is, I don't think it's right for them to say I'm wrong when I give the answer just because hey wait they had never learned about the number four before and can I really define what four is so that I can prove four is what four means.
ktz wrote:The experience of consciousness occurs on a spectrum, with a certain threshhold of activity pushing a thought into our experience.
Although I agree consciousness is an experience (i.e. the specific experience of 'recognition', of one's bodily experiences/reactions, made possible by memory), but can one actually experience consciousness, or is it more correct to state that one is only conscious of their experiences (conscious of their bodily reactions)?

How do you define consciousness?

In this particular case, I am using the term consciousness as the conscious subjective awareness of a thought or sensory experience that you tried to craft your argument for. In the video I linked, Greenfield addresses the difficulty of an operational definition of consciousness because of its nature. Normally, definitions operate in a number of ways like, for example, an appeal to a higher set. A cat is an animal with four legs. A computer is a type of electronic machine. But consciousness is a... ???

So, in order to definte consciousness, Seth and Greenfield and other neuroscientists essentially begin with the same definition as you, the subjective experience of consciousness, but then use FMRI readings of brain activity to identify the requisite amount of neuronal activity required to define consciousness. This allows them to apply their definition of consciousness to vegetative patients who normally would not be able to indicate their subjective experience of consciousness or lack of consciousness in traditional methods. I strongly suggest if you actually want to learn the answer to the questions you are asking to try watching the videos I linked to previously, because the full breadth of their arguments contains pictures and diagrams that assist with the learning process that would be difficult for me to recreate here. Basically, Greenfield's definition is based on FMRI measurements of patients who subjectively indicate or contraindicate a conscious experience. She correlates the FMRI activity of patients subjectively experiencing consciousness to non-localized collections of neurons she calls "neuronal assemblies" to create an operational definition of consciousness.
ktz wrote:Do you want to give me an example of a premise or contention that one of these writers hold with regard to a priori truth and experience that indicates this flawed belief?
Better yet, why not provide me a proof (by anyone!), that "thinking" (consciously authoring one's own thoughts) is logically possible. Hint: X<X is not logically possible.

Seriously, I would love to be proved wrong, (...no one, including me, wants to belie in an ugly truth). But, if you fail (as I suspect), and you ultimately realize that X<X is logically impossible (i.e. that thoughts cannot precede themselves to cause themselves), then I'll humbly accept your apology for the "being a bit grandiose" and "an excuse to discount the validity of others" derogatory comments.

I'm rooting for you. Prove away!
[/quote]

These are hard problems with complicated answers. Answer me honestly, do you consider yourself willing to do the work required to reach the requisite level of understanding to approach these problems? If you can cite no one and seek to understand no one's thinking outside of your own, why should anyone take seriously your desire to find real answers?
RJG

Post by RJG »

ktz wrote:If you don't know what Zeno's paradox is it might be a good idea of getting in the habit of typing unknown ideas into Google, or asking a straightforward question like "What's Zeno's paradox?" instead of making assumptions of ill will.
I know very well of "Zeno's Paradox", and am getting somewhat tired of those trying to use this 'parlour trick', as some kind of proof of anything. See my previous comments:
RJG wrote:Zeno's Paradox -- Zeno's paradoxes states that I can't walk over to you because I first have to get halfway there, and once I do, I still have to cover half the remaining distance, and once I get there I have to cover half of that remaining distance, ad infinitum. There are an infinite number of halfway points, and so according to (flawed) logic, I'll never be able to get there. But it's easy to prove this false by simply doing it, which we can all do. So we seemingly have a paradox, a contradiction, something that seems true but which, clearly, is not.

Since true paradoxes don't actually exist (as they are not logically possible), where is the flaw in this seemingly paradox?

Zeno's paradox, as written, conveniently disregards the dimension of 'time' to falsely denounce the possibility of 'motion'. Like a good magician, Zeno has his audience focus on the infinite number of 'distance' segments (and not on the infinitely decreasing 'time'), which leads our minds to (falsely) conclude that it would therefore take for-ev-ver (an infinite amount of 'time') to cross over an infinite number of halfway points. But, this is not the case. For each and every halfway point, time is reduced in half (it takes half as much time to arrive at each halfway point).

For example: I can walk 1 yard per second. So if I were to walk to the halfway point (50 yards) across a football field, it would take me 50 seconds. And then 25 seconds later, I'll find myself at the next halfway point. And then 12.5 seconds later, at the next halfway point. And after 100 seconds have transpired, I find myself magically standing in the end zone.

It is 'time' that propels me through space (and across the football field).

Zeno's paradox only proves, that without time, motion is impossible. But we already knew that. We already knew that motion can't occur without the pre-existence of time. Motion occurred (I traveled from 0 yard line to 100 yard line), therefore Time must exist. Now we have proof! Thanks Zeno
But I mostly like Present Awareness response:
Present Awareness wrote:In zeno’s paradox, one simply steps over the half way mark as one’s feet are simply too big to step only halfway.

ktz wrote:I'm not trying to obfuscate anything. The logical case you made was similar to a known set of problems in philosophy called Zeno's paradoxes. There's a wikipedia article that a person willing to learn could visit here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno%27s_paradoxes

Basically, Zeno's paradoxes describe situations where one believes that there is an infinite chain of events that makes a certain result paradoxical.
If you are not trying to obfuscate, then get to the point and expose the accused 'trick' in my argument, instead of slanderously associating it with a Zeno trick.

ktz wrote:Anyway, the counter-example to your logic is fairly simple. You are making the case that it is paradoxical for a thought to precede itself. This is basically a chicken-or-the-egg argument, which is similar to infinite recursion of Zeno's paradoxes.
Not so. Any (and every!) thought that we are aware of, has already been created, this includes any thought that we may use to derive any new thought. Our thoughts can never get out 'in-front' of or precede itself, so as to then cause itself.

Thoughts are like urges/desires (or any other experience). It is LOGICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to create the urge/desire/thought to have an urge/desire/thought without the prerequisite urge/desire/thought to do so!

ktz wrote:It's okay to be out of your depth! I know it can be uncomfortable.
...more condescension? ...seriously ktz?

ktz wrote:These are hard problems with complicated answers.
Not so. Logic is simple. Accepting it is the hard part.

ktz wrote:Answer me honestly, do you consider yourself willing to do the work required to reach the requisite level of understanding to approach these problems?
I have done more work than you realize. If you are searching for 'real' truths, and can put your arrogance aside, then save yourself some time (learn from my past experiences) and avoid the "fairy tales", and take the path of simple logic.

ktz wrote:If you can cite no one and seek to understand no one's thinking outside of your own, why should anyone take seriously your desire to find real answers?
All your favorite philosophers/philosophies start with a flawed premise. They all start with a fairy tale. They all presume a fairy godmother with a magical wand exists, and then argue/debate/discuss ad nauseum about how magic emits from her wand. (None of them start with the premise that "thinking" is logically impossible). Been there, done that. Fairy Tales are wrought with logical contradictions. "Simple logic" is the best path to true knowledge, (in my opinion).

If you can't argue with 'logic', then I'm not interested in arguing with you. Farewell friend.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

RJG:
I still have a strong desire to know the 'real' truths of reality before I croak.
Then you should start be learning to be critical of your own opinions and claims; for if they are false they will stand between you and ‘real’ truths. The most pernicious form of ignorance is thinking you know what you do not know. I am not likely to convince you of that so I will leave you to it.
ktz

Post by ktz »

RJG wrote: November 24th, 2018, 4:51 pm
ktz wrote: Thoughts are like urges/desires (or any other experience). It is LOGICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to create the urge/desire/thought to have an urge/desire/thought without the prerequisite urge/desire/thought to do so!
It's probably more accurate to say that it is your axiomatic assumption that it is logically impossible for a thought to have a thought without a thought. There are many complex systems in the brain. Many are dedicated to the awareness of external stimuli, and you have a case that these peripheral systems cannot generate their own thoughts. Other neural structures, which Greenfield terms neuronal assemblies, appear to be dedicated to the more familiar conscious act of thought which you are trying to decry as illogical, despite fairly reasonable opposition in my view as well as the view of everyone else in this thread as far as I can tell,

Certainly plenty of buddhist monks and other high-level meditation practitioners would take you to task for trying to say that one cannot control their thoughts, urges and desires. Perhaps an untrained thinker in a single instance an individual cannot exercise control over his thoughts, but it's definitely a logical fallacy to try to apply this anecdotal experience broadly to the general case.

Thought, as best understood by modern neuroscience today, is a complex emergent phenomena from a system of lower level neural networks. Some thoughts, like the reaction of your peripheral nervous system to external stimuli, are experienced but not created. This does not somehow logically imply that all thoughts are experienced and not created, because there are many other complex networks that allow for the kind of emergent phenomena that we experience as consciousness. It is literally a "hard problem" -- google for David Chalmers hard problem. I imagine you would be extremely hard-pressed to find any respectable academic who would agree with you that "simple logic" is the best tool for the job here.

But honestly, as I implied before you've given me and the rest of the thread participants no reason not to think that you shouldn't continue to fall into the category of people who would rather be right than have the courage, ethic and humility to examine what may be right in good faith.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Ktz,

Firstly, any attempt to refute logic with science is futile. This is akin to trying to refute science with religion (blind faiths). If something is logically impossible, then all the science in the world cannot make the impossible possible. Logic always trumps science.

Secondly, the belief in "thinking" (authoring one's own thoughts) has no logical foundation. There is no logical connection between the experiencing-of-thoughts to the self-creation-of-thoughts. The belief in "thinking" is based purely in blind faith. I challenge you to prove me wrong here. The 'default' intellectual position (i.e. putting aside religious beliefs) should be that "thinking" is not something we humans do. You and I should both be supporting this default position, instead of one of us religiously defending a non-defensible position.

Thirdly, and finally, I take offense to your final paragraph. I believe this last paragraph refers more to 'you' than me. No offense intended here, but your adamant defense of a logically unfounded (religious) belief is the coward's way out. There is no courage in irrationally appealing-to-authority (name-dropping), maintaining status quo, and bandwagon reasonings. I suggest you practice what you preach and show a little courage, instead of irrationally trying to defend an old religious belief.

Again, if you wish to continue discussing this topic, then please argue with logic, ...not with insults and put-downs.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

ktz wrote: November 25th, 2018, 1:31 am Certainly plenty of buddhist monks and other high-level meditation practitioners would take you to task for trying to say that one cannot control their thoughts, urges and desires. Perhaps an untrained thinker in a single instance an individual cannot exercise control over his thoughts, but it's definitely a logical fallacy to try to apply this anecdotal experience broadly to the general case...
As a low-level practitioner of stoicism, I agree that it is possible to control thoughts, urges and desires. It's certainly possible for two people to experience the same event in completely different ways. It's also possible for one person to experience similar events very differently, by choice, over time. I've done so. The difference comes from the beliefs, habits, and opinions they bring to the situation. These are things within your control. You can choose to be happy (or happier, anyway) by choosing to enter the situation with a better attitude, and with beliefs and expectations that are much better aligned with reality.

As a result of doing the work and making the choice to free myself from the habits, I don't feel the same level of road rage, or crave sweets, or want to drink, or worry about things that might happen that are outside my control. The desires and aversions have realigned themselves, and the urges that 'pop up' tend to be more in line with my best interests. Many sufferers would tell you depression is outside their control. Yet, ironically, this mindset is a root cause of depression. I would tell you that my depression is effectively cured, or at least in remission, as a result of taking stoic ideas to heart and putting stoic methods into practice in everyday life. I have not changed the world, but I have changed myself...by choice!
RJG wrote: November 25th, 2018, 3:24 am Firstly, any attempt to refute logic with science is futile. This is akin to trying to refute science with religion (blind faiths). If something is logically impossible, then all the science in the world cannot make the impossible possible. Logic always trumps science.

Secondly, the belief in "thinking" (authoring one's own thoughts) has no logical foundation. There is no logical connection between the experiencing-of-thoughts to the self-creation-of-thoughts. The belief in "thinking" is based purely in blind faith. I challenge you to prove me wrong here. The 'default' intellectual position (i.e. putting aside religious beliefs) should be that "thinking" is not something we humans do. You and I should both be supporting this default position, instead of one of us religiously defending a non-defensible position.
You are appealing to logic as a believer might appeal to scripture. If something seems logically impossible, there are at least two possibilities. 1-It is impossible in the real world. 2-Our understanding of logic, or our appraisal of that particular situation is incorrect or incomplete, and it is in fact possible. Say you knew nothing of 'indoor skydiving'. If I show you someone flying:
then you could say: "that didn't happen", despite the proof, or say that there might be more going on than you knew. If you were missing the idea of the giant fan pushing up, then it would seem impossible to you. But, folding your arms and saying: "Nope! Didn't happen!" would not be looking at the situation openly and honestly. I think this is the type of 'good faith' ktz was looking for, not a religious faith.

I experience thinking and choosing, and perhaps both of these fly in the face of logic or physics. Then perhaps our understanding of logic or physics is incomplete. Or, maybe the giant fan is the fact that my consciousness is not physical, and not bound by such laws. I can have the idea of a unicorn, or the Bengals winning the Super Bowl. My ideas are not completely limited by reality, which might point to my consciousness not being 'real' in the sense that it is a physical thing. You certainly can not prove that consciousness is physical, but only assert that it is.

What is logical about denying your own senses? If you experience choice, or thought, then it is fair to accept that this is what is happening, and that your ideas of science or logic may be unable, at this time, to explain why or how.
ktz wrote: November 24th, 2018, 1:08 pm The experience of consciousness occurs on a spectrum, with a certain threshhold of activity pushing a thought into our experience. Just as one can make oneself consciously aware of the act of breathing, the lack of doing so doesn't mean there are no neurons dedicated to this act when we are not conscious of it. Individual neurons make decisions based on rote, genetics, and a variety of other factors without our conscious input. The egg comes before the chicken in this case -- thought, and your so-called pre-selection of thought, occurs on a lower cellular level than the activity of neuronal assemblies that Greenfield indicates consciousness occurs. Choice still happens, but we are cellular beings composed of many small choices rather than a singular big one.
This is as fair-minded and reasonable of a description of this mysterious process as I've ever seen. Intuitively, this makes sense. It is consistent with my own experience. This, rather than yours, is what I would choose for my default position until more information comes along. ktz went to great lengths to encourage you to widen your scope in viewing this topic. The videos were interesting, and rather than showing the solution to the problem, point out that we are not yet able to solve it. Saying: "I don't know" is not an indefensible position, but often the most defensible, and certainly so in this case. Whatever default position we choose must be seen as opinion, not fact.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
RJG

Post by RJG »

For those that do not understand the (simple) logical impossibility of creating (or scripting/authoring) one's thoughts (aka "thinking"), I'll try to explain by asking some questions, and hope the conclusion (the logical impossibility) finally sinks in. Please answer honestly.

Source of "unscripted" thoughts.
1. From 'which' thoughts do you use to script this new thought?
2. Do you have a source of unscripted (uncreated) thoughts from which to draw from?
3. Or have ALL your thoughts already been scripted for you?
4. Is it EVER possible to be aware of a thought that has not already been created/scripted?

Dwell on these questions a bit, and hopefully the non-sensical-ness of creating one's own thoughts, will sink in.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream