h_k_s wrote: ↑
December 25th, 2018, 10:57 am
There is no such thing as the past. It is only a function of the human mind. Same as math.
I’ll show time has a start so it must be real (using the same axiom of cause and effect as I used for my first argument):
1. Assume time goes back forever
2. So some events must have taken place infinity long ago *
3. And other events must have taken place before these events (before time = -∞)
4. But thats impossible by the definition of infinity (nothing before time = -∞)
5. Contradiction; time must have a start
*If all events occurred finitely long ago, then before each event there must be an actual infinity of other events. IE some events must have taken place infinity long ago
Note that a circle has a start/end point, it's just the choice of where it is arbitrary.
Going back to my first argument:
- Axiom 1. The universe is everything
- Axiom 2. Cause and effect apply
- Conclusion 1. The universe was caused by the universe
Note that all the following alternative solutions are ruled out by axiom 2:
- An 'uncaused cause' caused the universe
- An infinite regress of time/events caused the universe
- Something from nothing caused the universe
So circular time you may not like but using these axioms, it is the only possibility?