Conciousness as the definition of existence

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
EventHorizon
New Trial Member

Conciousness as the definition of existence

Post by EventHorizon »

I'm probably off-base here so I guess I'm asking more so to poke holes in my thoughts.

1) non-being is impossible a la Parmenides' "is not". Thus existence must exist.

2) Existence must exist in such a way that what is outside of it is not non-existence. The line between existence and non-existence can not be analogous to the line that separates an inside from an outside.

3) Consciousness is this dividing line that details existence. Consciousness itself is the very shape of reality, the form of existence. Without Consciousness of existence there would be non-being, and similarly without existence there would be no Consciousness, and so non-being. The two arise equally and are dependent. A dependence of the objective on the subjective, and vice versa.

*I don't believe our Consciousness is necessarily necessary. It seems this form of Consciousness is still allowed to he the result of evolutionary game theory with the above points. If there were only infrared-sensing consciousnesses then that would be existence, but existence could still exist.

I'm not quite sure what connects point 2 and point 3 though... I'm probably wrong somewhere!
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Re: Conciousness as the definition of existence

Post by ktz »

Sounds reminiscent of George Berkeley's case for subjective idealism. If a tree falls in the forest, and no conscious being is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Berkeley, in agreement with you I presume, would say no because "to be is to be perceived".

To contradict this line of thinking I can offer the collection of observer effects in physics, where the act of observation itself alters the state of being of a subject. One famous effect is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle -- the position and momentum of an electron cannot be measured at the same time, even in theory. Yet one cannot say that an electron does not have both a position and a momentum, despite the fact that they cannot both be simultaneously measured. Thus this is one approach through which we can deny your supposition that without consciousness of existence there is non-being, because through our exploration of existence at the quantum level, we have found various constraints on consciousness without equivalent constraints on being. Borrowing a tagline from existentialism, existence precedes essence -- entities exist prior to our ability to essentialize them into their conscious dimensions.

You may be interested in Sartre's adjustment to your position from Being and Nothingness -- he would reject your premise that consciousness is the line that delineates existence from non-existence, but instead put it this way: consciousness is what separates being-in-itself from being-for-itself. The essence of consciousness is intentionality, which comes from our ability to perceive an alternate possibility. In this sense consciousness is not the positive creation of the world through our perceptions, but instead it is an act of negation -- the ability to imagine the world different from what it is. We can only be conscious of something if we can also be conscious of its absence. Thus consciousness is independent from existence, but it serves instead as the source of all possibility, negation, and finitude.

I should add my point of view may be crucially limited by the fact that I don't really understand your second assertion. What do mean that existence must exist in such a way that what is outside of it is not non-existence? As I understand it, the only constraint Parmenides adds to non-existence is the existence of an observer. He doesn't contradict the possibility of non-existence of individual entities -- one could have a world with one observer and one observable entity, with every other entity being non-existent.
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.
EventHorizon
New Trial Member

Post by EventHorizon »

ktz wrote: January 6th, 2019, 12:28 am Sounds reminiscent of George Berkeley's case for subjective idealism. If a tree falls in the forest, and no conscious being is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Berkeley, in agreement with you I presume, would say no because "to be is to be perceived".
I think I would agree with this. I almost want to go further than that though, to re-frame it as, "if a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, does the forest exist"? Maybe I go too far with that though.
To contradict this line of thinking I can offer the collection of observer effects in physics, where the act of observation itself alters the state of being of a subject. One famous effect is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle -- the position and momentum of an electron cannot be measured at the same time, even in theory. Yet one cannot say that an electron does not have both a position and a momentum, despite the fact that they cannot both be simultaneously measured. Thus this is one approach through which we can deny your supposition that without consciousness of existence there is non-being, because through our exploration of existence at the quantum level, we have found various constraints on consciousness without equivalent constraints on being. Borrowing a tagline from existentialism, existence precedes essence -- entities exist prior to our ability to essentialize them into their conscious dimensions.
I don't want to comment too much on this other than that this seems to be a very good point that I did not think about. I was taught the basic equations and functions but I think to extrapolate my current level of knowledge would be an error.

I think I do agree with you on existence precedes essence. Point 1 I make comes first to me as a "fact". I don't know what else to call it, a fact that forces being into being if you will. The dependence of the subjective to actualize the objective seems to come second to me, but arise at the same time as existence.
You may be interested in Sartre's adjustment to your position from Being and Nothingness -- he would reject your premise that consciousness is the line that delineates existence from non-existence, but instead put it this way: consciousness is what separates being-in-itself from being-for-itself. The essence of consciousness is intentionality, which comes from our ability to perceive an alternate possibility. In this sense consciousness is not the positive creation of the world through our perceptions, but instead it is an act of negation -- the ability to imagine the world different from what it is. We can only be conscious of something if we can also be conscious of its absence. Thus consciousness is independent from existence, but it serves instead as the source of all possibility, negation, and finitude.
I am very happy you brought this up because I am in fact completely an amateur but somehow decided that I should start with Sartre. I have read Nausea and am currently on a meager page 37 of being and nothingness! I am going very slowly :)

I currently miss the independence of consciousness and existence but I will look for it as I read, thanks for bringing it up.
I should add my point of view may be crucially limited by the fact that I don't really understand your second assertion. What do mean that existence must exist in such a way that what is outside of it is not non-existence? As I understand it, the only constraint Parmenides adds to non-existence is the existence of an observer. He doesn't contradict the possibility of non-existence of individual entities -- one could have a world with one observer and one observable entity, with every other entity being non-existent.
I may be misunderstanding or misusing terms here. I think it's typically referred to as 'Being' iirc.
maybe these quotes will help you understand where I come from:
Sartre,Nausea wrote: It didn't make sense, the World was everywhere, in front, behind. There had been nothing before it. Nothing. There had never been a moment in which it could not have existed. That was what worried me: of course there was no reason for this flowing larva to exist. But it was impossible for it to not exist. It was unthinkable: to imagine nothingness you had to be there already, in the midst of the World, eyes wide open and alive; nothingness was only an idea in my head, an existing idea floating in this immensity: this nothingness had not come before existence, it was an existence like any other and appeared after many others.
It is from nausea but I think still espouses his viewpoint. He says Nothing comes before it, but Nothing is only an idea. It is not something that existed ever. Nothing nothings.
Sartre, B&N page 36 wrote: Furthermore it is non-being that is going to limit the reply. What being will be must of necessity arise on the basis of what it is not. Whatever being is, it will allow this formulation: "Being is that and outside of that, nothing.

But of course, nothing is within us. Taken completely literally then, the limit of being is us (the thing that conceives nothingness: Consciousness). This is of course page 36 and I mentioned I am on page 37. My understanding is obviously limited in depth.

The limit of Being can not be Non-being. Being limits itself. I don't really know how to expand this into consciousness other than it is within being. I think I am probably missing much of the understanding of being-for-itself at the moment.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

EventHorizon wrote: January 5th, 2019, 7:59 pm Consciousness is this dividing line that details existence. Consciousness itself is the very shape of reality, the form of existence. Without Consciousness of existence there would be non-being, and similarly without existence there would be no Consciousness, and so non-being. The two arise equally and are dependent. A dependence of the objective on the subjective, and vice versa.
This is exactly how I see reality. Also your other "meditations" are interesting. Note that this is not necessarily subjective idealism. I myself am an epistemic realist. Also for Sartre there are "in-itselfs" that "co-exist" with the "for-itself".
EventHorizon
New Trial Member

Post by EventHorizon »

Tamminen wrote: January 6th, 2019, 11:11 am
EventHorizon wrote: January 5th, 2019, 7:59 pm Consciousness is this dividing line that details existence. Consciousness itself is the very shape of reality, the form of existence. Without Consciousness of existence there would be non-being, and similarly without existence there would be no Consciousness, and so non-being. The two arise equally and are dependent. A dependence of the objective on the subjective, and vice versa.
This is exactly how I see reality. Also your other "meditations" are interesting. Note that this is not necessarily subjective idealism. I myself am an epistemic realist. Also for Sartre there are "in-itselfs" that "co-exist" with the "for-itself".
I actually signed up after reading some of your posts, I recognized we have some similar ideas.

I did want to ask if you consider reality to be dualistic or non-dualistic and the effect of each on Conciousness after death, in context with the impossibility of non-being. I think I read that you consider open-individualism, but I am unsure what this might mean if something like panpsychism is true.

Furthermore, how do you see these views being developed/corroborated by the academic sphere? I don't trust that I am more well versed in rigorous thinking than those that devote their lives to it.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

EventHorizon wrote: January 5th, 2019, 7:59 pm
1) non-being is impossible a la Parmenides' "is not". Thus existence must exist.

2) Existence must exist in such a way that what is outside of it is not non-existence. The line between existence and non-existence can not be analogous to the line that separates an inside from an outside.
Is this a hole?
Exitence exists. Full stop.
There is a line between any two existing objects, but non-existence can't be delineated. Since everything is inside of Existence, Existence doesn't have an outside.
Consciousness doesn't even come along until long after a whole universe already exists. Reality doesn't depend on consciousness; it can exist and make noise and shed lights and scatter matter whether anybody is yet aware of it, but non-existence can't have produced a consciousness to witness it, cos there was nothing to be aware of.
Our ability to imagine an idea doesn't make it realizable in the world.
EventHorizon
New Trial Member

Post by EventHorizon »

Alias wrote: January 6th, 2019, 2:00 pm Consciousness doesn't even come along until long after a whole universe already exists.
I think this here is a point of contention that I'm wrestling with. It is the obvious view, and the common sense point of view. I struggle with myself even to consider it may be not true as I then venture into Last Thursdayism territory.

However, from what I understand the premise Big Bang -> wait -> Consciousness is an inherently linear understanding of time. But Being-in-itself is fully atemporal.

[quote = Sartre, B&N page 29]
It is is itself indefinitely and it exhausts itself in being. From this point of view we shall see later that it is not subject to temporality. It is, and when it gives way, one can not even say that it no longer is. Or at least, a consciousness can be conscious of it as no longer being, precisely because consciousness is temporal.
[/quote]

From this point of view I feel forced to conclude that then the Big Bang and the period of development leading up to the conception of consciousness did not occur "until" Consciousness was conceived. I think this would be an essentially non-linear understanding of time. I think this is something Bergson or Deleuze has written about, but I don't know enough to assert confidently.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

EventHorizon wrote: January 5th, 2019, 7:59 pm I'm probably off-base here so I guess I'm asking more so to poke holes in my thoughts.

3) Consciousness is this dividing line that details existence. Consciousness itself is the very shape of reality, the form of existence. Without Consciousness of existence there would be non-being, and similarly without existence there would be no Consciousness, and so non-being. The two arise equally and are dependent. A dependence of the objective on the subjective, and vice versa.

*I don't believe our Consciousness is necessarily necessary. It seems this form of Consciousness is still allowed to he the result of evolutionary game theory with the above points. If there were only infrared-sensing consciousnesses then that would be existence, but existence could still exist.

I'm not quite sure what connects point 2 and point 3 though... I'm probably wrong somewhere!
In my opinion, consciousness is only awareness and perception.

Existence is independent of consciousness.

You exist whether you are conscious of it or not -- such as a patient in a coma.
Alias

Post by Alias »

...and when the patient in a coma has his life-support turned off, he quietly fades into non-existence, and then his vacant body is bagged, tagged and disposed, while existence goes on without a hiccup.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
EventHorizon
New Trial Member

Post by EventHorizon »

Alias wrote: January 6th, 2019, 7:38 pm ...and when the patient in a coma has his life-support turned off, he quietly fades into non-existence, and then his vacant body is bagged, tagged and disposed, while existence goes on without a hiccup.
Right, from our perspective. Maybe I'm meaning something of a more collective I, a sort of open individualist interpretation of Conciousness. His instantiation may seemingly disappear but yours retains itself until you die.

I don't really know how to investigate the becoming of Conciousness into nothing. One argument I read is that there is no next, but I think this is just a rewording.
Alias

Post by Alias »

EventHorizon wrote: January 6th, 2019, 8:29 pm [ existence goes on without a hiccup.]
Right, from our perspective.
If we're still alive to have a perspective, yes.
Maybe I'm meaning something of a more collective I, a sort of open individualist interpretation of Conciousness. His instantiation may seemingly disappear but yours retains itself until you die.
It doesn't have any more effect on existence. When we all extinct* ourselves (*I'm told that's a verb now) and none of "us" humans exist to have any perspective, the rest of existence will continue just as it had before we were conceived.
I don't really know how to investigate the becoming of Conciousness into nothing.
Because there is no "becoming" involved in death. A particular consciousness winks out, that's all. It didn't influence much of reality while it was aware and will not influence any reality once it's gone. If other conscious entities retain a memory of it, they may feel "as if" that extinguished individual were still affecting them. That entity's mark was made during life: the mark remains, like scratches on linoleum, but no new ones are made.

Because humans form deep emotional bonds and miss their dead relations, they cherish this illusion of continuity. They make up all kinds of stories about disembodied consciousness.
EventHorizon
New Trial Member

Post by EventHorizon »

Alias wrote: January 6th, 2019, 10:24 pm Because there is no "becoming" involved in death. A particular consciousness winks out
What do you mean by "wink out"? I think that seems like a convenient rewording but is the exact same as "becomes nothing". And if we agree that nothing is not , then I think we have a very real dilemma.

I'm not trying to appeal to emotion at all here. I think the common sense view here requires the validity of panpsychism and possibly integrated information theory insofar as Conciousness is a fundamental property of matter that can "merge". This is the only way I see to not have an imbalance of input and output but retain the common view of death.
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

EventHorizon wrote: January 6th, 2019, 8:29 pm Right, from our perspective. Maybe I'm meaning something of a more collective I, a sort of open individualist interpretation of Conciousness. His instantiation may seemingly disappear but yours retains itself until you die.
Maybe it would be easier for your case if you try to merge your attachment to this concept with the various literatures describing a divine observer. If God exists as either the primary source of conscious omniscient observation, or (less provocatively) in the pantheistic sense of a sort of synecdochal representation of your collective I, that would solve Parmenides's problem quite nicely for you.
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

EventHorizon wrote: January 5th, 2019, 7:59 pm I'm probably off-base here so I guess I'm asking more so to poke holes in my thoughts.

My problem with these types of arguments boils down to trying to use logic to address questions where we don't know if our logic born out of our experience of how this world works would apply. But here goes.
We can only say non-being isn't the case (right here right now), because we're here now to say it. (Or at a skeptical minimum 'my' conscious experiential states exist right here right now, as by their nature their existence is directly known).
Finding ways to describe non-existence is tricky, but to describe non-existence in terms of location and inside/outside seems like a category error. Or at least analogy, so we should be careful about drawing conclusions based on analogous language, because the analogy is inevitably imperfect, and might not capture the key features we're drawing conclusions about.
3) Consciousness is this dividing line that details existence...

Hence consciousness as ''the dividing line'' between the locations of existence and non-existence is continuing an analogy at best. Your making the link via your analogy. The question then remains, what is it actually saying about the actual state of affairs it's analogising? I'm not sure. But you continue to a conclusion that without consciousness nothing can exist -
... Consciousness itself is the very shape of reality, the form of existence. Without Consciousness of existence there would be non-being, and similarly without existence there would be no Consciousness, and so non-being. The two arise equally and are dependent. A dependence of the objective on the subjective, and vice versa.
And of course we have have evidence that our universe existed prior to beings we recognise as possessing consciousness.

Now there might be an underlying explanation which should make us re-interpret that evidence, such as implications suggested by collapse of the wave function. I'd say that's where the analogy might become concrete, but that's still in the speculative stage as an explanation of the mind-body relationship. And it's arguable that the wave function itself has to exist in the first place, rather than absolute nothingness.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Event -

You seem to be juggling words around and needlessly confusing what you’re thinking ... or at least so it seems?

Is what you mean condensed down to this:

- what exists exists only in consciousness and beyond that we’re in no position to insist anything else being beings that exist as conscious beings not “non-conscious” beings ... which would essentially mean “non-being” and “non-existent”.

Yet again this is Kantian territory. The confusion of noumenon as positive and noumenon as negative.

The further confusion lies in how many different people frame the meaning of “exist” and “being” in various different contexts yet occasionally fall prey to wire crossing and thus themselves and others because they fail to address teh limitations of their lexicon.
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream