Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?

Post by Eduk »

The reason for my original question was that I had reached the same conclusion (being "slave to randomness" poses similar issues as being "slave to predeterminism"), but I could not see whether there was a way to progress beyond that in order to provide free will a way out.
Yes well put. A lot of people seem to struggle with the idea that randomness (or being able to so otherwise that what you did) doesn't actually help free will at all.
By the way I mostly approach this 'problem' from the opposite direction. Given I experience 'free will' what is 'free will'? I don't have a complete answer but conceptually I have no issues using the concept of 'free will' day to day. This fuzziness seems, for some, to be unbearable though, many feel it must either be defined absolutely or it doesn't exist. I don't have this 'belief' problem that a lot of people seem to have.
Unknown means unknown.
NicoL

Post by NicoL »

Felix wrote: January 26th, 2019, 6:20 pm "Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?"

Not at all. In general, exponents of free will place the action of the will outside the domain of the physical phenomena studied by science, which makes your premise irrelevant.
I don't know if your above statement is true or false, but I'm not sure that free will necessarily needs to be considered separate from the natural world.

Is it logically impossible for free will to be an emergent property of physical objects (persons), that endows them with the ability to initiate uncaused causes?
NicoL

Post by NicoL »

Eduk wrote: January 28th, 2019, 6:10 am By the way I mostly approach this 'problem' from the opposite direction. Given I experience 'free will' what is 'free will'? I don't have a complete answer but conceptually I have no issues using the concept of 'free will' day to day.
I am the same. I directly observe acts of free will every day, while I don't directly observe much else. Thus, I have a bit of an issue ignoring so much data for the sake of determinism - or indeterminism if it won't lend me a helping hand :)

I have not made up my mind yet. I don't claim determinism is wrong, or science is wrong, or anything like that. I just don't see why I should discard so much data without good reason, and I frankly don't know that either science or parsimony gives a good logical reason to abandon free will yet.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

and I frankly don't know that either science or parsimony gives a good logical reason to abandon free will yet.
Science hasn't given any reason to abandon free will. Some people might interpret that it has but this is not the non controversial consensus of expert opinion.
Unknown means unknown.
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

We can live in a deterministic world and still be free provided that we respect laws of nature.
Ser10Rec1pr0
Favorite Philosopher: Harold Garfinkel

Post by Ser10Rec1pr0 »

FreeJerry wrote: January 27th, 2019, 7:38 pm ... If we run the laws of physics in reverse, we'll end up at the beginning. I think this is irrelevant for the question of free will.
Reminds me of some article from absolutely eons ago, I think in the magazine Discovery, about "the direction of time."

I know I still have the issue but cannot find it, but the article was either in part an interview with Stephen Hawking or based on something he'd written; to the effect that some time in the future the universe will reach an apogee, cease expanding, & contract; at which point (per example in the article) broken teacups will leap up off the floor & reassemble themselves.

As for free will, also eons ago the English actor & stage director Jonathan Miller (who began his adult life in medical school & whose father was a psychiatrist) hosted a multi-part series on PBS called "Madness." (Some episodes or parts of episodes available on YouTube)

He was going on about the brain, how the brain is viewed in neuroscience (before neuroscience became fashionable), & the techno. metaphor of "hard-wired," & suggested that if we believed our personalities et al. were determined by neuro-wiring, then no free will.

My personal view after years of pondering this business of determinism & free will is that we are metaphorically (philosophically) stuck in the 19th century: almost entirely consumed by romanticism or romantic idealism (lovely in literature; horrible in life): the single branch of the tree determinism. We still debate the merits of capitalism & communism, altho both seem to me by-products of determinism.

Often Providence enters the conversation, so we can say "That's the way God planned it," whether to eschew responsibility, suppress imagined inferiors, or both & more.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

the article was either in part an interview with Stephen Hawking or based on something he'd written; to the effect that some time in the future the universe will reach an apogee, cease expanding, & contract; at which point (per example in the article) broken teacups will leap up off the floor & reassemble themselves.
May be used to illustrate constant conjunction as our entree to how we can know stuff. Constant conjunction works whichever direction the arrow of time goes in, and is sufficient to let us know that we seek patterns, probably so we might survive in a chaotic world.

Cannot be used to illustrate Free Will or Determinism because, unlike constant conjunction, those are ontological and are not about how we can know stuff.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Bahman wrote: January 30th, 2019, 2:52 pm We can live in a deterministic world and still be free provided that we respect laws of nature.
Well put. We all agree that the actions of a billiard ball on a table are determined by the laws of physics. In addition we can prove this determinism by predicting it's behavior given a set of starting variables essentially 100% of the time.

OTOH, we also all agree that many neurochemical and psychological factors influence human and animal decision making. Unfortunately for the determinists, the "proof" of this (predicting decision making given a set of starting variables) falls very short of 100% accuracy. For the sake of discussion let's call it 70% accuracy. The difference, 30% is what I call free will. You can call it whatever you want, but until human decision making can be predicted with 100% accuracy, determinism is unproven.
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:36 am
Bahman wrote: January 30th, 2019, 2:52 pm We can live in a deterministic world and still be free provided that we respect laws of nature.
Well put. We all agree that the actions of a billiard ball on a table are determined by the laws of physics. In addition we can prove this determinism by predicting it's behavior given a set of starting variables essentially 100% of the time.

OTOH, we also all agree that many neurochemical and psychological factors influence human and animal decision making. Unfortunately for the determinists, the "proof" of this (predicting decision making given a set of starting variables) falls very short of 100% accuracy. For the sake of discussion let's call it 70% accuracy. The difference, 30% is what I call free will. You can call it whatever you want, but until human decision making can be predicted with 100% accuracy, determinism is unproven.
Unpredictability is not Free Will. The popular notion of free will is founded on feelings of being in control. Gambling on the unknown does not usually give feelings of being in control.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:46 am
LuckyR wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:36 am

Unpredictability is not Free Will. The popular notion of free will is founded on feelings of being in control. Gambling on the unknown does not usually give feelings of being in control.
True. I never said it was. Unpredictability means determinism is unproven, not that it is impossible. Free will steps in as the alternative until the day (never?) when determinism is proven.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:53 am
Belindi wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:46 am Unpredictability is not Free Will. The popular notion of free will is founded on feelings of being in control. Gambling on the unknown does not usually give feelings of being in control.
True. I never said it was. Unpredictability means determinism is unproven, not that it is impossible. Free will steps in as the alternative until the day (never?) when determinism is proven.
Yes. but the free will you mean in that popular sense of 'free will' is not the same as absolute Free Will. Absolute Free Will is such that it can overrule rational choices.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:58 am
LuckyR wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:53 am

Yes. but the free will you mean in that popular sense of 'free will' is not the same as absolute Free Will. Absolute Free Will is such that it can overrule rational choices.
Your post makes complete theoretical sense. Yet here on planet earth, folks do irrational things routinely. Finding post hoc explanations for an important decision is not a substitute for proving that everyone with identical antecedents will make the same decision.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 5:10 am
Belindi wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:58 am

Your post makes complete theoretical sense. Yet here on planet earth, folks do irrational things routinely. Finding post hoc explanations for an important decision is not a substitute for proving that everyone with identical antecedents will make the same decision.
I agree entirely. I'd like to add that often, and I mean often, we get better results from well-honed intuition than from conscious deliberations.By intuition I don't mean untutored emotions! Intuitions are not irrational , they are learned responses which the subject cannot account for.

Also that by "theoretical sense" I take to include that a belief in Determinism does not imply that the future,which is chaotic, can be predicted especially when it concerns the chaotic human.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

In the general discussion of will it seems to me it is not a problem concerned with physics but rather psychology- It concerns how a decision is made which is involved with judgement. Each of us develops personal systems of evaluation depending upon our experience and how we react to that experience and understand it. There is no firm absolute system for all thinking people in that area for every individual so the question should be - what should a will be free of? All decisions are based on a choice of relevant factors and these differ between people.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Jan Sand wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 11:04 am In the general discussion of will it seems to me it is not a problem concerned with physics but rather psychology- It concerns how a decision is made which is involved with judgement. Each of us develops personal systems of evaluation depending upon our experience and how we react to that experience and understand it. There is no firm absolute system for all thinking people in that area for every individual so the question should be - what should a will be free of? All decisions are based on a choice of relevant factors and these differ between people.
Good question, Jan. I think that a will that is Free is free , not only of causal influnces from the outer environment , but also free of causes from the body such as emotion-generating hormones, and brain chemicals

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream