Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?

Post by Eduk »

I'm possibly naive, but I always thought most people believed in cause and effect and free will without really considering (or caring) if there was a paradox.
Unknown means unknown.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote:
Well you do understand that many, if not most deteriminists do not believe in voluntary action. I suppose we are free to create our own definitions, but by your definition of free will, it does not acknowledge voluntary action as evidence of free will, it will not allow influencers of decision making (<100% causation), so you leave us with a hollow, unrealistic shell of what free will could be, that essentially no one I know could subscribe to. You win. Big deal.
That's exactly correct. The possibility of absolute Free Will dispensed with we can discover that man's freedom of choice has not disappeared entirely but that his freedom of choice varies according to the level of reason that's brought to bear upon any choice or decision. This sort of freedom can be empirically examined as liberal education systems are founded upon increasing the learner's freedom by increasing his use of reason. We can assess our own acts by introspecting about whether we have impulsively reacted to circumstances or reflected before acting. A politician who has knowledge and reason at her command will be more successful than one who has temper tantrums.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

A decision, assumedly made, for any understood reason, is, by that, tied rigidly to that reason and thereby, cannot be accepted as free. For freedom, in definition, requires no external demand. Beyond that, a decision made with no external demand cannot be anything but random and a random decision is self condradicting and connot be accepted as a decision.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

That last comment of mine sems to require a small extension. It indicates that time as a fourth dimension out of Einsteinian theory is continuous and the instant in the fourth dimension that we all acknowledge as now is an illusion, as there is no such static point in actuality. A decision is a concept of a momentary stasis where an aware mind can make a choice as to what proceeds from that point onwards, but process provides no momentary stasis in actuality. It is continuous and by that continuouity a decision to act in a particular way must merely be an element in that continuity. Just as the now that we all acknowledge is an illusion, the nature of a free decision is an illusion and if the time dimension is accepted as continuous then the illusion of making decisions is merely part of that illusion.

One possibility has occurred to me. If time is not one dimensional, but at least two dimensional where the fourth and a fifth dimension form a plane, then there can be a multitude of time lines on that plane so that the illusion of making a decision can appear as a reality to slip into a different time line much as a train can switch to a different track. I cannot see how that can be observed.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Jan Sand wrote: February 16th, 2019, 7:06 am That last comment of mine sems to require a small extension. It indicates that time as a fourth dimension out of Einsteinian theory is continuous and the instant in the fourth dimension that we all acknowledge as now is an illusion, as there is no such static point in actuality. A decision is a concept of a momentary stasis where an aware mind can make a choice as to what proceeds from that point onwards, but process provides no momentary stasis in actuality. It is continuous and by that continuouity a decision to act in a particular way must merely be an element in that continuity. Just as the now that we all acknowledge is an illusion, the nature of a free decision is an illusion and if the time dimension is accepted as continuous then the illusion of making decisions is merely part of that illusion.

One possibility has occurred to me. If time is not one dimensional, but at least two dimensional where the fourth and a fifth dimension form a plane, then there can be a multitude of time lines on that plane so that the illusion of making a decision can appear as a reality to slip into a different time line much as a train can switch to a different track. I cannot see how that can be observed.
But freedom is human , it's not an eternal verity. As human, freedom is a relative quality which relates to degrees , or levels, of freedom.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Stop kidding yourself. you're an animal like any bird, alligator or squirrel. We all live in the sam universal continuum.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Jan Sand wrote: February 16th, 2019, 9:01 am Stop kidding yourself. you're an animal like any bird, alligator or squirrel. We all live in the sam universal continuum.
Other animals (arguably) don't discuss concepts such as the nature of freedom.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Aside from the obvious fact that no one has the slightest concept as to what other animals might discuss, not even the average jellyfish has made the slightest attempt to destroy much of life on this planet, including their own. That consists of such a monumental stupidity that not even the dumbest paramecium would consider it worthwhile. Humans seem to have attained that honor.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

Reality or illusion? We can concentrate on some rotational value Ψ to see how the representation of the Splendor may do or not. Everything rotates. There is a point deep inside the Earth that rotates little. All other rotations are its splendor. This point rotates around the Sun. The sun rotates in many ways. There is a point in its center…. The Universal seed had the Splendor prior to the Big Bang and all the Splendor since belong to it. No matter how far. This is the materialistic way. Inside the seed is the message. It might be that the message is the seed. It is in the splendor where the message is present. We might say yes or not. It has a name: Free Will. The latest representation of Free Will is the self-aware Free Will. There is a point within me. It is my Free Will. I am what I’m trying to be or not to be.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

If you get far enough away from a star it appears to be a point. Proper tools of observation.provide tools for determining that a star can be seen as rather large. Nevertheless. there can be located , within any sphere, the absolute center and this, by definition, is imaginary and cannot rotate since it has no extension. Free will. on the other hand, can neither rotate nor have extension and, neatly, is both imaginary and pointless.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Jan Sand wrote: February 16th, 2019, 9:40 am Aside from the obvious fact that no one has the slightest concept as to what other animals might discuss, not even the average jellyfish has made the slightest attempt to destroy much of life on this planet, including their own. That consists of such a monumental stupidity that not even the dumbest paramecium would consider it worthwhile. Humans seem to have attained that honor.
Jellyfish and even intelligent parrots lack the freedom to destroy life on Earth.

Jan, most people use 'discuss' with the implication that human language is the medium for communication.

You are of course right that as a species we are stupid and evil beyond even the dinosaurs. No other species has had the knowledge that it is destroying its entire habitat.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

My understanding of the word discuss is that it is an interchange of information. Since even computers can do that perhaps most people should modify their use of the word.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

I, with my imagination, can see an imaginary point. I make this point real as I draw a circle in a piece of paper. The circle is complete but, I know that the circle is also imaginary as my mathematical understanding said there is no way to return to the same point I started from. So, there is a point and a circle and my mathematical understanding. I now draw a radius from the imaginary point to this instance of my lifetime. If one is real so is the other one. If one is gone would the other one be gone as well?... such a big distance and so spooky.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

I probably misunderstand what you are trying to say, but if you draw something it is real and the center of a drawn circle may not be indicated by a dot, but nevertheless it exists.
Halc

Post by Halc »

Belindi wrote: February 17th, 2019, 10:46 am Jellyfish and even intelligent parrots lack the freedom to destroy life on Earth.
Cyanobacteria did a fine job of it over 3 billion years ago, and it didn't take free will to do it. It just took a species that failed to give a crap about its own consequences.

The Holocene extinction event is much like that early extinction event, except it remains to be seen if the species causing it will survive the destruction it wreaks.
You are of course right that as a species we are stupid and evil beyond even the dinosaurs. No other species has had the knowledge that it is destroying its entire habitat.
I think we're smarter than the dinosaurs, who would similarly destroy their own habitat if they only knew how.
I imagine there could be creatures that actively refrain from doing this, but humans are not among them.

Why is any of this relevant to a discussion on free will?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream