Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
NicoL

Post by NicoL »

Modern fundamental physics indicates that the universe is indeterminate and probabilistic at its most fundamental level.

The derivation of the natural laws of Newtonian physics and chemistry through the application of statistical mechanics, alongside acceptance of the law of large numbers, indicate something that is less commonly acknowledged: even the natural laws of macroscopic domains (chemistry, biology, society, economy, etc.) are essentially probabilistic. Granted, those natural laws assign an extremely high probability to one (or more) of infinitely many possible effects for each cause, but there is still a negligible probability assigned to the remaining, unlikely possibilities.

Given this, would it be wrong to assert that:

1. Determinism is nothing but a simplification we apply to explain hypothetical causal relations between types of events occurring in our everyday experience and in macroscopic scientific domains. The universe is not deterministic, but thoroughly probabilistic on all levels. Determinism itself is completely fictional.

2. "Probabilification", rather than "causation", would be a better term for the relation that ties causes and effects. Each cause probabililfies all contingent states of affairs (possible effects) in the world with a different probability for each - it does not completely determine the manifestation / actualization of merely one (or some) effects.

In light of the above, does the question of incompatibilism still stand? If determinism is false and probabilism assumes its place, is there still a contradiction between the following two assertions:

(P) The actualization of one possible event probabilifies the actualization of all other possible events that can occur in the world, with a different probability assigned to each such outcome.

(FW) There are entities that have significant control over their actions, beyond what (P) dictates.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?

Post by Eduk »

Modern fundamental physics indicates that the universe is indeterminate and probabilistic at its most fundamental level.
As I understand it Quantum theory is a black box that tells us nothing about the nature of reality. Lots of physicists opine various explanations but so far there is no consensus and no one has been able to prove any of their theories.
As to the fictionality of determinism. Well it works, it has a 100% success rate (so far), it is perhaps 'good enough' even if it is fictional.
Unknown means unknown.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

I disagree with your primary premise that fundamental physics indicates that the universe is indeterminate and probabilistic at its most fundamental level. I personally feel quantum mechanics and cosmological physics are so (1) insufficient, (2) fundamentally incomplete, (3) open to interpretation, (4) non-intuitive, and (5) confusing and debatable even to the best and smartest scientists that it fails to indicate one way or the other about determinism. A third group of people, including many extremely intelligent scientists, disagree with both you and I; they think that current physics indicates the world is deterministic, such as but not necessarily limited to those subscribing to the Everett Interpretation of quantum mechanics.

So in general the primary premise is far from a given. But that's presumably a different topic.

If we hypothetically assume your premise for the sake of argument in this topic, do the proposed possible conclusions follow?

That's a hard question to answer, at least to me since it seems like the Original Ppost doesn't provide an argument and ask if that argument is valid but rather the Original Post presents a premise and possible conclusion and asks if there is some yet unstated argument that can connect the two.

The word that stands out to me in the following part of the OP is the word "still":
NicoL wrote:If determinism is false and probabilism assumes its place, is there still a contradiction between the following two assertions:

(P) The actualization of one possible event probabilifies the actualization of all other possible events that can occur in the world, with a different probability assigned to each such outcome.

(FW) There are entities that have significant control over their actions, beyond what (P) dictates.

[Emphasis Added]
Needless to say, that question is loaded with the assumption that the assertions of incompatibilism are accurate.

Free-will is an equivocal term, and thus incompatibilism is effectively equivocal . I believe that under some definitions of free-will incompatibilism is accurate and under other definitions of free-will it is not.

From there it is hard if not impossible to say anything that carries much meaning about the main topic and question at hand, so I apologize for the vagueness and weakness of these final two statements: My feeling is that when using definitions of free-will with which incompatibilism is accurate then the two statements will tend to still be incompatible in the probabilism proposed by the OP. In other words, if free-will is defined to mean something that doesn't exist; it's usually still not going to exist in a deterministic versus a pseudo-deteriministic probabilistic world.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Nice summary Scott
I think you have presented the real heart of the matter (to me). I don't know what free will is or (really) what determinism is therefore one can't possibly rule out the other. I do however often ask people if they would like a tea and am able to make tea.
Unknown means unknown.
NicoL

Post by NicoL »

Thanks for your reply Scott.

First, I have to agree with both of your initial comments. I have been straightforward with stating (not asserting) the implications of some interpretations of some physical theories. The reason is not because I discard the alternatives, but because I have found that being too apologetic while getting to your point can easily obscure the latter. I have also not provided an argument that connects the dots, but asked for one - that was my intention to begin with.

Would you be kind enough to elaborate a bit on your following statement and, in particular, on why you choose to define "free will" as something that does not exist?
Scott wrote: January 25th, 2019, 11:26 am My feeling is that when using definitions of free-will with which incompatibilism is accurate then the two statements will tend to still be incompatible in the probabilism proposed by the OP. In other words, if free-will is defined to mean something that doesn't exist; it's usually still not going to exist in a deterministic versus a pseudo-deteriministic probabilistic world.
cavacava

Post by cavacava »

I read what you said about natural laws and the rest, but I fail to see the connection with "Free Will". I think 'Free Will' is more of a social phenomena, more conceptually tied up with agent directed behaviour based pleasure, pain and other drives. Or how do you understand the concept?
NicoL

Post by NicoL »

@cavacava

I understand free will along the following lines:

(FWD) Free will is an agent's ability to choose and enact a different action than the one that would be causally necessitated in a predetermined universe.

Obviously, my understanding of free will depends on an understanding of determinism. Even if determinism is false, determinism remains conceivable, so the above definitional dependency does not pose any conceptual issues.

The issue that arises when you replace determinism with indeterminism is that although (FWD) remains analytically true, it is now irrelevant to reality - it doesn't explicate anything about the world. A new definition is required, in the same original spirit, but with the concept of indeterminism as part of its definiens this time. So, you arrive at something like the following:

(FWI) Free will is an agent's ability to choose and enact an action that goes actively against the probability distribution for all possible actions he could have taken.

Two notes:

- This probability distribution has been determined by one or more preceding events.
- "goes actively against" means that it is a non-randomly unexpected outcome (in a more circular but easier way to say: an act of will rather than pure chance has been involved in bringing about that outcome).
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

NicoL wrote: January 25th, 2019, 11:58 am Would you be kind enough to elaborate a bit on your following statement and, in particular, on why you choose to define "free will" as something that does not exist?
Scott wrote: January 25th, 2019, 11:26 am My feeling is that when using definitions of free-will with which incompatibilism is accurate then the two statements will tend to still be incompatible in the probabilism proposed by the OP. In other words, if free-will is defined to mean something that doesn't exist; it's usually still not going to exist in a deterministic versus a pseudo-deteriministic probabilistic world.
NicoL

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I think the point I was trying to make in the part you quote can also be expressed in the following way.

First, please consider the following three questions:

1. What does the term "free will" mean?

2. Does free will as defined in #1 exist?

3. Is the world deterministic or probabilistic (or something else)?

I think the main point I was trying to make was that I believe generally both questions #1 and #2 above are easier to answer than #3.

I'll provide some more thorough illustrations and elaboration of the above bolded point in the following two paragraphs, but that main way I conclude the bolded statement above is that I believe usually the answer to #2 follows logically and relatively simply from the answer to #1, and #1 is the easiest to answer of all because it is just choosing a definition.

To elaborate, assuming the world is deterministic can simplify a discussion or debate about free-will, but whatever evidence and arguments are given to state free will doesn't, does, can, or can't exist in that simplified deterministic world will often still apply even if we assume a world is nearly deterministic except for some additional random and presumably non-free-will related uncaused causes such as (1) random quantum events, or (2) an all-powerful creator god who made a clockwork world whose own behavior is bound by clockwork causality and is 100% predictable by an omniscient being such as presumably itself, or (3) other completely random initial conditions in a forever afterwards clockwork universe, or (4) other random interference (i.e. new completely unpredictable initial causes).

I believe often the "will" in "free will" is usually by definition not random; and thus we can be a slave to random causes as much as we can be a slave to non-random causes. I bet under most definitions of free will either someone defines it in a way that is compatible with both deterimism and randomism or they define it in a way where it requires the existence of a third type of cause that is neither random nor deterministic. It is easier to talk about and describe what that alleged third thing is and whether it exists if we hypothetically assume randomism doesn't exist. The addition of randomness generally just complicates the discussion and logic, but I think it generally doesn't actually make it easier for such a third thing to exist, nor does it make compatabalist versions of free will less compatible.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Felix

Post by Felix »

"Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?"

Not at all. In general, exponents of free will place the action of the will outside the domain of the physical phenomena studied by science, which makes your premise irrelevant.
Scott: I disagree with your primary premise that fundamental physics indicates that the universe is indeterminate and probabilistic at its most fundamental level. I personally feel quantum mechanics and cosmological physics are so (1) insufficient, (2) fundamentally incomplete, (3) open to interpretation, (4) non-intuitive, and...
I think you just said that you disagree that quantum physics (or "fundamental" physics, whatever it is) is indeterminate and then gave all the reasons why it is indeterminate, e.g., it is fundamentally incomplete, open to interpretation, etc., which just boils down to saying that it is incomprehensible and unpredictable, a.k.a., indeterminate, to us.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

unknown means unknown.
Unknown means unknown.
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

Free will as a concept needs to be explained, because, depending on your definition, you could be arguing that we're blank slates where the conscious mind has free reign, not blank slates where the conscious mind has free reign over some things or a very occupied slate where free will has limited control.

Sometimes I see free will seem to literally refer to whether we are truly conscious or not, whether we have any control whatsoever at all or not.

It seems utterly undeniable that our brain does a lot of things and is a lot of things which directly impact almost everything about who we are and how we behave. Still, we have great control over what we do in the present and substantial control over how we feel. It's a paradox in some sense, we have control in the present, it's always the present and despite that, we are definitely not living with a blank slate.

Some definitions of free will are ludicrous to even contemplate but they can be ludicrous because they suggest we have more control than we do or way less control than we do. Absolutes, as usual, are idealistic and convenient but at the expense of truth and logic.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

NicoL wrote: January 25th, 2019, 10:10 am Modern fundamental physics indicates that the universe is indeterminate and probabilistic at its most fundamental level.
Scott wrote: January 25th, 2019, 11:26 am I disagree with your primary premise that fundamental physics indicates that the universe is indeterminate and probabilistic at its most fundamental level. I personally feel quantum mechanics and cosmological physics are so (1) insufficient, (2) fundamentally incomplete, (3) open to interpretation, (4) non-intuitive, and (5) confusing and debatable even to the best and smartest scientists that it fails to indicate one way or the other about determinism. A third group of people, including many extremely intelligent scientists, disagree with both you and I; they think that current physics indicates the world is deterministic
Felix wrote: January 26th, 2019, 6:20 pm I think you just said that you disagree that quantum physics (or "fundamental" physics, whatever it is) is indeterminate and then gave all the reasons why it is indeterminate, e.g., it is fundamentally incomplete, open to interpretation, etc., which just boils down to saying that it is incomprehensible and unpredictable, a.k.a., indeterminate, to us.
I am sorry if I was unclear.

The word "indeterminate" can be equivocal, especially in a philosophical topic about causal determinism or metaphysical determinism. Sorry for not being more clear about which definition of "indeterminate" I was using.

In this forum topic, when I was talking about whether or not the premise "the universe is indeterminate" is true (or false or unknown), I meant the word "indeterminate" to refer in the to the antithesis of metaphysical determinism, not in the broader epistemological context of the word to mean simply something that is unknown to us.

So I was saying that the answer to the question whether the universe is metaphysically deterministic or metaphysically nondeterministic is itself "not [epistemically] determinable" in the more practical epistemological sense of us present day human beings participating in the conversion knowing/answering something.

In a philosophical conversation about metaphysical determinism or causal determinism, for clarity and to avoid fallacies of equivocation, I believe is best to not use the word "determined"/"indeterminate" in the everyday practical epistemic sense of knowing or being ignorant about something. There are plenty of other words that can easily express those epistemological states without such an incredible risk of a fallacy of equivocation.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Determinism? No. Predeterminism? Yes.
"As usual... it depends."
FreeJerry
New Trial Member

Post by FreeJerry »

The universe is not nondeterministic; the conservation of information is necessary for modern quantum field theory, and requires that particles always obey the same rules. I'm no physicist, but there's a good answer on StackExchange:
Conservation of information and determinism? wrote:The short answer to this question is that the Schrödinger equation is deterministic and time reversible up to the point of a measurement.
If we run the laws of physics in reverse, we'll end up at the beginning. I think this is irrelevant for the question of free will.
NicoL

Post by NicoL »

Scott,

Thanks for your reply. I think it captures very well what I was thinking too, especially with this passage:
Scott wrote: January 26th, 2019, 10:34 am I believe often the "will" in "free will" is usually by definition not random; and thus we can be a slave to random causes as much as we can be a slave to non-random causes. I bet under most definitions of free will either someone defines it in a way that is compatible with both deterimism and randomism or they define it in a way where it requires the existence of a third type of cause that is neither random nor deterministic.
The reason for my original question was that I had reached the same conclusion (being "slave to randomness" poses similar issues as being "slave to predeterminism"), but I could not see whether there was a way to progress beyond that in order to provide free will a way out.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream