Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
JosephM

Re: Does determinism really pose a problem for free will?

Post by JosephM »

Ok, then we need to hammer out a definition or two that we can agree on , before we can assert to be in accord. Right?
Could we agree that will is state of mind which may direct our actions , and that it is neither the actions nor the ramification of those actions , and that the will itself is not contraindicated by the failure to achieve some.. larger ..eventualities? or goal?
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

I do believe we are edging into a definition of insanity.
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

Jan Sand wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:16 pm I do believe we are edging into a definition of insanity.
:) I just dont know what you mean, but if pressed, I would have to say that the nature of human mind is indeed in that ballpark.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Extremes of speculation frequently wander off probable paths and stumble into unexpected realities. For instance, in a venture of humor today's NY Times has a column expressing a wild opinion that the patterns of human reaction to the expected mass extermination of life on the planet may be part of a plot for extraterrestrials to conquer the planet. As extreme as this idea may be, it is the only way to logically explain the almost total non-reaction to this vast oncoming disaster. Insanity and sanity are difficult to distinguish here and free will may fall into the same category
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Jan Sand wrote: February 13th, 2019, 11:08 am In general, it might be worthwhile to differentiate what makes will or decision. If one will s for somethiong to happen based on the possibility of that decision to be effectual, one must analyze that action on the basis of what determines the success of that decision. Anybody is free to decide whatever they want but the success of thast decision to be effectual cannot be based on anything but deterministic principles.
Free will is first and foremost the ability to form opinions. Your freedom to decide what to think about something is sufficient to show free will, and your ability to follow through on your wishes in the real world does not reflect on your having or not having free will. From Epictetus:
Sickness is a hindrance to the body, but not to your ability to choose, unless that is your choice. Lameness is a hindrance to the leg, but not to your ability to choose. Say this to yourself with regard to everything that happens, then you will see such obstacles as hindrances to something else, but not to yourself.
Assuming you believe in free will, then you would not say it was lost because you were thrown in jail, or lost in the wilderness, would you? It would not be lost any more than your ability to ride a bicycle. You can't ride if there is no bicycle available to you, any more than you could order a burger and fries if you were lost in the wilderness. But, to say free will is lost or diminished because potential actions or results are blocked at any time is not right. Perhaps it is a straw man or simply a misunderstanding of what makes up free will.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Anyone is perfectly capable of being stupid or uninformed and to say that this confers nothing on the nature of free will may have some validity but it is like saying that not having wings does not affect your ability to fly. The same thought applies to sickness since the brain and all its interconnections is not independent of the condition of the entire organism. Sickness of the body affects the mind's ability to judge as do drugs and alcohol . The mind is never free of the body since they are totally integrated and even a poor meal or a nasty argument can affect a person's quality of judgment
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

ChewyBrian wrote:
Assuming you believe in free will, then you would not say it was lost because you were thrown in jail, or lost in the wilderness, would you? It would not be lost any more than your ability to ride a bicycle. You can't ride if there is no bicycle available to you, any more than you could order a burger and fries if you were lost in the wilderness. But, to say free will is lost or diminished because potential actions or results are blocked at any time is not right. Perhaps it is a straw man or simply a misunderstanding of what makes up free will.
I agree. Origination in the case of Free Will means that Free Will is not caused by any predetermining cause or causes but that Free Will is free of causation. So Free Will is an originator; the only originator apart from existence itself, or God( if you like). Everything else was caused before it existed.

The other thing that can be said of Free Will is that once the Free Will has originated an action, a thought, or any event it is cause or part cause of other events. If you had this Free Will thing when you were entirely solitary , lost in the desert or something, your Free Will thing could still originate your final thought before you actually died. Even then, superstitious folk might claim that your Free Will thing is the same thing as your immortal soul and would continue to originate thoughts in the Hereafter. Then, once you Free Will thing had moved over into the Hereafter , he, she, it, or all three would continue to be free of all predisposing causes but would itself be cause of something or other that happens in the Hereafter.

My justification for claming that the Free Will thing is commonly held to be uncaused but itself be a predisposing cause is that FreeWill devotees all believe that they can cause events to happen.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Lost in this comment is the fundamental understanding that all actions in this particular universe are either through predetermination or random, neither of which has anything to do with free will.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

When I talk about free will I am talking about my experience of free will. I cannot, sadly, perfectly explain what free is. It is not either Belindi or Jan Sand version of impossible free will. The free will I have is possible.
Of course you might argue that the free will I have isn't the kind of free will that you want it to be. That's fine. But you can't argue that the free will I have isn't the free will I have.
Unknown means unknown.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Eduk wrote: February 14th, 2019, 7:57 am When I talk about free will I am talking about my experience of free will. I cannot, sadly, perfectly explain what free is. It is not either @Belindi or @Jan Sand version of impossible free will. The free will I have is possible.
Of course you might argue that the free will I have isn't the kind of free will that you want it to be. That's fine. But you can't argue that the free will I have isn't the free will I have.
How big a proportion of the whole Eduk is Eduk's free will thing? Eduk is a rational person who pays attention to the sate of his car's brakes and so on. So is Eduk's free will a tiny thin little almost undetactible bit of neuronal tissue which can override concerns about the car's brakes and so on?
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Anyone can, of course, claim it, but there also are a number of people who are absolutely confident that they are Napoleon. Permit me my doubts.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Anyone can, of course, claim it, but there also are a number of people who are absolutely confident that they are Napoleon. Permit me my doubts.
Sorry is that directed at me? It is a truism to say that the free will I have is the free will I have. This is simple logic such that a = a. You can disagree that a = a if you like but then we will seriously never get anywhere.
How big a proportion of the whole Eduk is Eduk's free will thing? Eduk is a rational person who pays attention to the sate of his car's brakes and so on. So is Eduk's free will a tiny thin little almost undetactible bit of neuronal tissue which can override concerns about the car's brakes and so on?
No idea how to quantify it really Belindi. You made a good point earlier that we are an amalgamation of many many things, this I agree with. You could see free will as a small and barely significant part of the whole, in all honesty I don't know, maybe it is. Personally (and without any expertise on the matter) it might be a small part of the whole but it seems like quite a significant part.
As to where it resides, that is unknown. I would guess it was an emergent property of a parallel and distributed process, but that is just a guess.
Unknown means unknown.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

What puzzles me most is the utility of a decision making system that is independent of consequences. When i make a decision I do my best to be aware of the consequences and those consequences are predictable because I understand that my actions are consequential. Why would I prefer to make a decision where the consequences are unpredictable?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

What puzzles me most is the utility of a decision making system that is independent of consequences. When i make a decision I do my best to be aware of the consequences and those consequences are predictable because I understand that my actions are consequential. Why would I prefer to make a decision where the consequences are unpredictable?
Still have no idea if this is directed at me? I assume Belindi ?
Unknown means unknown.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

It is a question directed at anyone who desires free will, whatever that might be.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream