There appears to be Two Types of Knowledge

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Wmhoerr
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

There appears to be Two Types of Knowledge

Post by Wmhoerr »

For me there appears to be two different types of knowledge. I will outline my reasoning.

The “nature” verses “nurture” debate will probably never end. Similar words used in past discussions for “nature” could include: innate, inborn, instinct, á priori, and id. The nature part is taken as that with which we are born. As the carrier of information from one generation to the next is the genes, then it seems that the nature part can only be the genetic part.
Say someone says “I am hungry”. Hormones from the neural network around the stomach are sent to the brain. This idea starts in the stomach and ends in the brain. The person knows genetically s/he is hungry. If this reasoning is correct, then hunger is a genetic idea; it is not learnt after birth. The “I am hungry” is actually a real idea in the mind. Hunger can vary considerably as can be seen at a buffet where people choose different foods at a restaurant.

The mind is no longer considered a blank slate and so other genes beside hunger, such as those for our emotions, desires and behaviors, are also found in the mind. Examples could be envy, jealousy, hate, musical desire, desire to run, and all manner of other things. To varying extent (just as we all differ in height and appearance, so do all these genetic ideas differ as per bell curve distribution) these ideas are part of the brain before birth. (The nasty parts were called original sin by the church. They had to use a metaphor as chemistry was in its infancy.)

But not all genes end in the mind. Genes that make and regulate the body or genes for the immune system will not end up in the brain. Therefore these processes cannot be influenced by the mind. Some genes are in the mind and others not. The genetic ideas in the mind could be called genetic knowledge.

On top of this comes cultural knowledge (the “nurture” part); that which we learn during our lifetime. We can control hunger, envy, and hate with cultural knowledge. (A society makes you limit some behaviors through laws). Genetic knowledge comes before birth, cultural knowledge after birth. Genetic and cultural ideas interact in the mind with this interaction called thought and the direction of the interaction called the will.

I would like to suggest that genetic ideas play a part in every thought. People debate the influence of these background ideas. Is it 50/50, 20/80, 80/20, and so on. I think most of our thoughts are genetic.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: There appears to be Two Types of Knowledge

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Hunger is not a gene. Even if it was, and even if the examples given made syntactic sense (which they mostly don't IMO), the entire argument would still fail as a hasty generalization fallacy. One or a few alleged examples of knowledge turning out to be "genetic" doesn't indicate that most let alone all instances of knowledge will likewise will turnout to be genetic.

Moreover, "thoughts" is not the same thing as "knowledge".
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Wmhoerr

Post by Wmhoerr »

Scott wrote: January 31st, 2019, 2:14 pm Hunger is not a gene. Even if it was, and even if the examples given made syntactic sense (which they mostly don't IMO), the entire argument would still fail as a hasty generalization fallacy. One or a few alleged examples of knowledge turning out to be "genetic" doesn't indicate that most let alone all instances of knowledge will likewise will turnout to be genetic.

Moreover, "thoughts" is not the same thing as "knowledge".
Thought is the interaction of genetic and cultural ideas in the mind. I know the term "genetic idea" seems unusal but the "nature" component of our inheritance must be called something. Freud used the term "id". Konrad Lorenz used "innate". Hunger is not a gene directly but the desire is created by structures produced by genes, in particular, the stomach. I have made a more detailed argument in evolution-path.org.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I'd not call persistent biological features "ideas". True, we conceptualise persistent biological features and the concepts are influenced by culture. I think this is what you were intending.

I'd not call biological features knowledge. The genetic causes of biological features is called information. Knowledge implies a knower whereas arms, legs, and genes cannot know anything.
Wmhoerr

Post by Wmhoerr »

Belindi wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:40 pm I'd not call persistent biological features "ideas". True, we conceptualise persistent biological features and the concepts are influenced by culture. I think this is what you were intending.

I'd not call biological features knowledge. The genetic causes of biological features is called information. Knowledge implies a knower whereas arms, legs, and genes cannot know anything.
I agree that arms and legs cannot know anything. But I did not say this. Only some genes are in the mind. A person knows that s/he is hungry. This is real knowledge. It is always the person who is the knower. But the knowledge of hunger arrived via the stomach and did not originate in the mind.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Wmhoerr wrote: January 31st, 2019, 6:09 pm
Belindi wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:40 pm I'd not call persistent biological features "ideas". True, we conceptualise persistent biological features and the concepts are influenced by culture. I think this is what you were intending.

I agree that arms and legs cannot know anything. But I did not say this. Only some genes are in the mind. A person knows that s/he is hungry. This is real knowledge. It is always the person who is the knower. But the knowledge of hunger arrived via the stomach and did not originate in the mind.
The sensation of hunger originates in the stomach and there is a nerve connection to the brain which under some circumstances causes the animal to want to eat, and to seek food. The animal does not know it is hungry unless it is an animal with a reasoning brain.

No genes are in the mind. Genes are 'in' chromosomes .
Wmhoerr

Post by Wmhoerr »

Belindi wrote: February 1st, 2019, 7:58 am
Wmhoerr wrote: January 31st, 2019, 6:09 pm

The sensation of hunger originates in the stomach and there is a nerve connection to the brain which under some circumstances causes the animal to want to eat, and to seek food. The animal does not know it is hungry unless it is an animal with a reasoning brain.

Every single neuron of the brain has a full set of chromosomes, and therefore a full set of genes.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Wmhoerr wrote: February 1st, 2019, 8:43 am
Belindi wrote: February 1st, 2019, 7:58 am

Every single neuron of the brain has a full set of chromosomes, and therefore a full set of genes.
Your vocabulary is odd and so it's not easy to know what you mean. Why not study the nervous system and share the vocabulary that others use?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

The OP does seem to be using the term “knowledge” in a rather obtuse way. I really don’t see how “knowledge” is an appropriate term for what is being expressed.

Care to choose another?
AKA badgerjelly
Wmhoerr

Post by Wmhoerr »

I'm using words in the normal way. Let's say someone says "I am hungry". That is, s/he knows that s/he is hungry. The desire for food is real. The person has knowledge of hunger. The hunger desire comes before birth. The blank slate idea of the mind is no longer believed. Well, if it is no longer believed, what comes before birth then? All those innate, inborn, etc. characteristics like hunger, envy, jealousy ... as mentioned earlier.

Anyone reading the responses so far to my post would think you are all "blank slate-ists", if there is such a thing. When the brain grows the information of the genes becomes knowledge in the mind. A baby that cries KNOWS that it is hungry. It does not need to learn it. The baby has knowledge that came befofe birth.

What I am saying is that some knowledge comes before birth. Now you might not agree with this, but at least try to understand what I am getting at here.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Wmhoerr wrote:
A baby that cries KNOWS that it is hungry. It does not need to learn it. The baby has knowledge that came befofe birth.
The baby has instinctive knowledge. I agree that animals have instinctive knowledge.
I would like to suggest that genetic ideas play a part in every thought.
If by "genetic ideas" you mean what most people call instincts then yes, instincts play a part in every thought. The issue is that there is no such thing as objective thinking, except in the case of tautological systems i.e. mathematics and formal logic.
Wmhoerr

Post by Wmhoerr »

There has been a bias against non-human animals for thousands of years. This is a new development. I am quite sure that for 99 percent of our history (100,000 plus years for the last species branch off) we thought we were animals. The most common bias is to somehow forget we are animals and to use the term "animals" as if this category excludes humans. In Genesis, the creatures of the world were made for our use. Of course "creatures" does not include humans. And so on in countless psychology books where they debate "whether animals have feelings" or whether they just "react to circumstances". This miss-use is alive and well today an can be seen everywhere, such as a sign that says "animals are not allowed on the highway".
Wmhoerr

Post by Wmhoerr »

Woops, i hadn't finished the post and pushed the wrong button! I was going to continue and say was that the word "instinct" could be a misuse of the word "knowledge". I'm sure that some people would like to think that non-human animals only ran on instincts. Belindi, just replace "instinct" with genetic idea, or genetic knowledge, in my original post ant it will make sense.
Wmhoerr

Post by Wmhoerr »

Belindi wrote: February 1st, 2019, 2:42 pm The issue is that there is no such thing as objective thinking, except in the case of tautological systems i.e. mathematics and formal logic.
You seem to be complaining about clarity in my post yet in your sentence above I have no idea what you are talking about. "Water is wet" is a tautology but tells us nothing as wetness is part of the definition of water. Mathematics and logic are anything but tautological. Most maths is subjective, as in engineering, not objective.
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

Wmhoerr wrote: January 31st, 2019, 1:26 am For me there appears to be two different types of knowledge. I will outline my reasoning.

The “nature” verses “nurture” debate will probably never end. Similar words used in past discussions for “nature” could include: innate, inborn, instinct, á priori, and id. The nature part is taken as that with which we are born. As the carrier of information from one generation to the next is the genes, then it seems that the nature part can only be the genetic part.
Say someone says “I am hungry”. Hormones from the neural network around the stomach are sent to the brain. This idea starts in the stomach and ends in the brain. The person knows genetically s/he is hungry. If this reasoning is correct, then hunger is a genetic idea; it is not learnt after birth. The “I am hungry” is actually a real idea in the mind. Hunger can vary considerably as can be seen at a buffet where people choose different foods at a restaurant.

The mind is no longer considered a blank slate and so other genes beside hunger, such as those for our emotions, desires and behaviors, are also found in the mind. Examples could be envy, jealousy, hate, musical desire, desire to run, and all manner of other things. To varying extent (just as we all differ in height and appearance, so do all these genetic ideas differ as per bell curve distribution) these ideas are part of the brain before birth. (The nasty parts were called original sin by the church. They had to use a metaphor as chemistry was in its infancy.)

But not all genes end in the mind. Genes that make and regulate the body or genes for the immune system will not end up in the brain. Therefore these processes cannot be influenced by the mind. Some genes are in the mind and others not. The genetic ideas in the mind could be called genetic knowledge.

On top of this comes cultural knowledge (the “nurture” part); that which we learn during our lifetime. We can control hunger, envy, and hate with cultural knowledge. (A society makes you limit some behaviors through laws). Genetic knowledge comes before birth, cultural knowledge after birth. Genetic and cultural ideas interact in the mind with this interaction called thought and the direction of the interaction called the will.

I would like to suggest that genetic ideas play a part in every thought. People debate the influence of these background ideas. Is it 50/50, 20/80, 80/20, and so on. I think most of our thoughts are genetic.
I agree fully with what is said above except for the conclusion that most human knowledge is genetic. My reasoning is as follows. Animal behaviour is result of the activity by Nervous system which includes the brain. The Nervous system activity can arise from it having been pre-programmed by genetics or as a result of learning. The more advance the animal is in the evolutionary hierarchy the greater the reliance on learning as opposed to genetics. If a sheep is brought up as a part of a pack of dogs, it will behave like a dog in those aspects that depend on learning. However, it would still eat grass as in that it is genetic. A child is born with the knowledge of how to breath. It needs to be sometimes activated with a tap on the back. This knowledge is obviously needed. However a Child does not know how to walk. Unlike a donkey. As such it can be seen that when it comes to humans their reliance on genetic pre-programming is a minimum. This is why we have actors and drama. Such is possible because one person can choose to act as another. Once a choice is made it becomes a habit. Habits are the brains ability to automate a sequence of choices without the need for the will. That’s is why habits are mistaken to be genetic in origin. Yet they can be broken by the exercise of the will. Habits formed and the knowledge inherited from genetics, I would think work the same way. A persons will can overcome both. It is the conscious mind (will) over the unconscious (habit)

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream