Could everything have existed forever?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Karpel Tunnel

Re: Could everything have existed forever?

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Felix wrote: March 13th, 2019, 10:17 pm RJG said: "It seems logically, that we can only combine, convert, transform the existing (already created) stuff into only different shapes and forms, using the same old tired ingredients. There is never really anything "new", or any real "creating" going on whatsoever, anywhere! There is only just the mixing (re-configuring) of the stuff we've already got, that's all."
We don't know. It is fairly recent history on earth that human brains sere created with all those emergent properties. Perhaps new kinds of matter or really phenomena will be created in the future, but humans or AIs or by who knows what. We don't know how malleable 'stuff' is. We don't know if new stuff can be made and rearranging stuff seems to do rather remarkably new stuff in and of itself.
Who is the "we" in that sentence, human beings? Obviously our creative capacity is limited, e.g., we cannot create a universe.
Not yet.

Furthermore, I don't know why one would expect the universe to conform to the dictates of human logic.
Universes and things are not logical, statements as parts of arguments are or are not. It's a category error to say the moon is logical or gravity is. The universe is. Logic is about drawing conclusions from what we think is the case in language. The universe is not logical, it is. It's not illogical either. It just is.
Plaffelvohfen
New Trial Member

Post by Plaffelvohfen »

RJG wrote: March 14th, 2019, 7:37 am
RJG wrote:Though I'm still struggling with how it is even logically possible to "create" anything in the first place, ...in the literal sense.
Plaffelvohfen wrote:To me, it kind of makes sense that it would be illogical because Logic itself cannot exist in a "non-expressed time-state", which would be a necessary state of non-created existing things... In this "non-expressed Time-state", always and never are the same.
Sorry, I don't get what you're saying here.
It relates to my first comment on this thread where I tried to explain Time as a dimension (like depth) and how as such, it always existed... It's a view influenced by the Many-worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics... I conjugate the term "expressed" here, a bit like gene expression in biology... Timelessness here, would mean a state of being, where Time is non-expressed (or static, stopped)... And I'm pointing out that Logic, is contingent on Time being expressed...
RJG wrote: March 14th, 2019, 7:37 am
Plaffelvohfen wrote:As an absurdist, I accept that there's a intrinsic limit to our ability to understand certain phenomenon/concepts that may or may not, exist outside our own universe…
Agreed. Also, "absurdist" seems to be an interesting title to call oneself. I suspect there is more here than meets the eye with this "absurdist".
I suspect you are right in assuming this... I may have to elaborate but I'm not sure this thread is the right place to do so... ;)
Felix

Post by Felix »

RJG: Are you somehow implying that "new" matter magically comes into existence (from non-existence?) with the birth of living organisms? If so, then do you also denounce the first law of thermodynamics?
I don't think the Universe (capital U) is composed solely of gross matter (i.e, what we can apprehend via our senses), so there would be more to creation than simply rearranging or transforming it. I was responding to your comment that there is "nothing new under the sun." Under a different sun, a different universe (small u), there could be.

If by creation you mean "creating something from nothing," I agree that is a nonsensical concept. I would expand the definition of "create" to mean producing order from disorder, so in that sense the new order created - or the new creation ordered - would be the foundation for something(s) unique.
RJG: If we humans wish to "make sense", then 'logic' is the only tool we've got.
I think not, there are other means of perception.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
MrSpock-mm
New Trial Member

Post by MrSpock-mm »

Time can be infinite.
RJG

Post by RJG »

MrSpock-mm wrote:Time can be infinite.
Time is infinite, as there can never be a time before time or a time after time. X<X and X>X are logical impossibilities.

If time truly exists, then it has 'always' existed (i.e. it has never 'not' existed).
devans99

Post by devans99 »

RJG wrote: May 7th, 2019, 8:34 am
MrSpock-mm wrote:Time can be infinite.
Time is infinite, as there can never be a time before time or a time after time. X<X and X>X are logical impossibilities.

If time truly exists, then it has 'always' existed (i.e. it has never 'not' existed).
1. If time is infinite then the universe will have gone through all possible states
2. Some states are equilibrium states. Once in equilibrium, universe cannot escape
3. We are not in equilibrium
4. Time is finite
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:Time is infinite, as there can never be a time before time or a time after time. X<X and X>X are logical impossibilities.

devans99 wrote:1. If time is infinite then the universe will have gone through all possible states
2. Some states are equilibrium states. Once in equilibrium, universe cannot escape
3. We are not in equilibrium
4. Time is finite.
So then are you saying that there WAS (or will be) a 'time' before (or after) the existence of time?

Are you saying that something CAN exist before it exists??? (...i.e. X<X???)
devans99

Post by devans99 »

RJG wrote: May 21st, 2019, 7:34 am So then are you saying that there WAS (or will be) a 'time' before (or after) the existence of time?

Are you saying that something CAN exist before it exists??? (...i.e. X<X???)
I think there is a state of timelessness that is causally before the start of time.

Thomas Aquinas's Argument From Necessary Being has a similar conclusion (paraphrased):

A. Can’t get something from nothing
B. So something must have existed ‘always’.
C. IE if there was ever a state of nothingness, it would persist to today, so something must have permanent existence.
D. It’s not possible to exist permanently in time (always leads to an infinite regress; but they have no start so cannot not be), so the ‘something’ must be the timeless first cause (of time/causality).
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:Are you saying that something CAN exist before it exists???
devans99 wrote:I think there is a state of timelessness that is causally before the start of time.
Impossible. Without 'time', there is no "before" (or after) or "start" (or end). "Before" and "start" don't exist yet (and are meaningless words) if 'time' does not already exist. ...you cannot have a "before" without time!
devans99

Post by devans99 »

RJG wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:59 am Impossible. Without 'time', there is no "before" (or after) or "start" (or end). "Before" and "start" don't exist yet (and are meaningless words) if 'time' does not already exist. ...you cannot have a "before" without time!
Well its difficult to express; but logically the timeless thing must cause time to start so the timeless thing is 'before' time in a causal sense. This is the only possible way for anything to exist - without something timeless, you get an infinite regress - which is impossible.

This all ties in with first cause arguments for God - the first cause is uncaused; IE beyond causality/time but causes everything else. Again if you think about it, an uncaused cause is the only way causality can work and anything can exist.
RJG

Post by RJG »

devans99 wrote:Well its difficult to express; but logically the timeless thing must cause time to start so the timeless thing is 'before' time in a causal sense. This is the only possible way for anything to exist…
Not so. There is ONLY one logical possibility, and that is that time has "always existed" (i.e. has never not-existed). Claiming that a moment in time existed "before" the existence of time, is a logical contradiction. X<X is a logical impossibility.

devans99 wrote:...without something timeless, you get an infinite regress - which is impossible.
Not so. There is no infinite regress with "always existing". There is NO beginning (NO starting point) in "always existing".

devans99 wrote:This all ties in with first cause arguments for God - the first cause is uncaused; IE beyond causality/time but causes everything else. Again if you think about it, an uncaused cause is the only way causality can work and anything can exist.
Again, not so. If something has "always existed" then there is no beginning (...nor is there any logical contradiction of an "uncaused first cause"). There is no "first cause" in an "always existing" causal universe. ...a tough concept to grasp, but it is the only one that doesn't logically contradict itself.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

RJG wrote: May 21st, 2019, 12:49 pm Not so. There is ONLY one logical possibility, and that is that time has "always existed" (i.e. has never not-existed). Claiming that a moment in time existed "before" the existence of time, is a logical contradiction. X<X is a logical impossibility.
I claimed that an eternal, timeless 'now' exists causally 'before' our time - it is not a moment of time - it is a different state of existence.

How does timeless state cause the creation of time? You have to think about timelessness as one eternal now - everything happens at the same time - yet there can still be causal relationships. So the first cause could cause time to start. I think it was incorrect of me to use the word ‘before’ as that’s associated with time; what I meant was causally before.
RJG wrote: May 21st, 2019, 12:49 pm
devans99 wrote:...without something timeless, you get an infinite regress - which is impossible.
Not so. There is no infinite regress with "always existing". There is NO beginning (NO starting point) in "always existing".
If time has 'always' existed, the moments of time and the particles within those moments form an infinite regress. IE particle A hits particle B hits C etc... this collision history forms an infinite regress. But an infinite regress has no start so none of it can exist. To illustrate this with an example, imagine a pool table:

The cue hits the white ball.
The white ball hits the black ball.
The black goes in the pocket.

Would the black ball go in if the cue did not hit the white? No - we remove the first element in a time ordered regress and find that the rest of the regress disappears. So the first element (in time order) is key - it defines the whole of the rest of a regress. If it is absent, as in the case of an infinite regress, then the regress does not exist - temporal/casual infinite regresses are impossible.

That means that time cannot be infinite.
RJG wrote: May 21st, 2019, 12:49 pm Again, not so. If something has "always existed" then there is no beginning (...nor is there any logical contradiction of an "uncaused first cause"). There is no "first cause" in an "always existing" causal universe. ...a tough concept to grasp, but it is the only one that doesn't logically contradict itself.
If there is no first cause, there is no second cause, no second cause, then no third cause. By induction there is nothing in the universe without a first cause.
Felix

Post by Felix »

RJG: "There is ONLY one logical possibility, and that is that time has "always existed" (i.e. has never not-existed). Claiming that a moment in time existed "before" the existence of time, is a logical contradiction. X<X is a logical impossibility."

As devans99 said, it is not a "moment in time," it is timelessness - no time > time started. There's nothing illogical about that, in fact some propose that the Big Bang is such an event.

RJG: "There is NO beginning (NO starting point) in "always existing".

There can indeed be many spaciotemporal beginnings and endings in eternity, e.g., the aforementioned Big Bang singularity - of course it's not really a singularity if it happens repeatedly but we can't see past this one (literally).

RJG: "There is no "first cause" in an "always existing" causal universe."

True, but that is just one possibility, the other is what was mentioned. The First Cause would transcend temporal reality, or at least our spaciotemporal reality, of which we have very limited knowledge. We can only identify about 5% of the matter in our Universe, the rest we've called dark matter/dark energy, which are just names we've given to things we don't understand - although they do suggest the existence of other dimensions beyond our 4D set.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

devans99 wrote: May 21st, 2019, 1:21 pm If time has 'always' existed, the moments of time and the particles within those moments form an infinite regress. IE particle A hits particle B hits C etc... this collision history forms an infinite regress. But an infinite regress has no start so none of it can exist. To illustrate this with an example, imagine a pool table:

The cue hits the white ball.
The white ball hits the black ball.
The black goes in the pocket.

Would the black ball go in if the cue did not hit the white? No - we remove the first element in a time ordered regress and find that the rest of the regress disappears. So the first element (in time order) is key - it defines the whole of the rest of a regress. If it is absent, as in the case of an infinite regress, then the regress does not exist - temporal/casual infinite regresses are impossible.

That means that time cannot be infinite.
Right. An infinite causal chain of events from past to present is logically problematic for reasons you mentioned. But not from present towards the future, because all we need to say is that there will be no last event. In this respect the past and the future have different structures.

To say that physical time cannot have a beginning is consistent if we think that time precedes being ontologically. But I think it is the other way round: being precedes time. Time is an internal property of being in general, its key structure. Therefore we have various possibilities to think of its being finite or infinite.

Let us suppose we have a causal chain of physical events A, B, C,... Now we can think of this chain as a totality ABC... and ask what caused its existence. And the answer may be: (1) some event X before A or (2) nothing or (3) the series of events ABC... itself, being a causa sui, its essence causing its existence. Just to mention a few possibilities.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Tamminen wrote: May 21st, 2019, 4:21 pm Right. An infinite causal chain of events from past to present is logically problematic for reasons you mentioned. But not from present towards the future, because all we need to say is that there will be no last event. In this respect the past and the future have different structures.

To say that physical time cannot have a beginning is consistent if we think that time precedes being ontologically. But I think it is the other way round: being precedes time. Time is an internal property of being in general, its key structure. Therefore we have various possibilities to think of its being finite or infinite.

Let us suppose we have a causal chain of physical events A, B, C,... Now we can think of this chain as a totality ABC... and ask what caused its existence. And the answer may be: (1) some event X before A or (2) nothing or (3) the series of events ABC... itself, being a causa sui, its essence causing its existence. Just to mention a few possibilities.
Yes causal chains from a definite starting point stretching into the potentially infinite future are not ruled out by these arguments.

I think the cause of events ABC could be:

- (1) is possible - caused by another event
- Or caused an uncaused cause... the first cause... which does not count as an event in causality as the first cause is timeless/beyond causality.
- I don't think (2) is possible - from nothing comes nothing. I do not believe QM impacts the macro world and the origin of the universe is a macro question.
- (3) requires a specific geometry of spacetime - nothing can cause itself without a causal loop (circular time). A causal loop is in itself caused by something. EG the universe might be a big causal loop but the whole loop was caused by the first cause (which is timeless)
- I can't think of other possibilities?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream