Materialism is absurd

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Consul

Re: Materialism is absurd

Post by Consul »

Tamminen wrote: May 20th, 2019, 9:25 am Matter matters to me, but nothing matters to matter.
Something matters to those material objects which are conscious subjects.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Consul wrote: February 24th, 2023, 9:16 pm No matter whether or not its temporal dimension is finite, spacetime has always existed and will always exist, because there wasn't and couldn't have been any time in the past when spacetime didn't exist, and there won't and couldn't be any time in the future when spacetime doesn't exist. That is, the notion of a pre- or post-spacetime time is self-contradictory.
This looks wrong to me. Spacetime contains/includes time, so referring to it as an apparently external thing is wrong. Spacetime exists, or has existence. But we can't say that spacetime has always existed, because that takes time outside of spacetime. When you refer to spacetime as a thing, which is perfectly valid, you can make no comment about its chronic existence; it doesn't make sense (to me). How can or could there be a "time in the past", "when spacetime didn't exist"???
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Consul

Post by Consul »

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 25th, 2023, 9:36 am
Consul wrote: February 24th, 2023, 9:16 pm No matter whether or not its temporal dimension is finite, spacetime has always existed and will always exist, because there wasn't and couldn't have been any time in the past when spacetime didn't exist, and there won't and couldn't be any time in the future when spacetime doesn't exist. That is, the notion of a pre- or post-spacetime time is self-contradictory.
This looks wrong to me. Spacetime contains/includes time, so referring to it as an apparently external thing is wrong. Spacetime exists, or has existence. But we can't say that spacetime has always existed, because that takes time outside of spacetime. When you refer to spacetime as a thing, which is perfectly valid, you can make no comment about its chronic existence; it doesn't make sense (to me). How can or could there be a "time in the past", "when spacetime didn't exist"???
That's impossible!
To say that spacetime has always existed is to say that it exists at all times, which means that there is no time when spacetime doesn't exist. There is no transcendent "hypertime" due to all times being part of spacetime; but spacetime has nonetheless a temporal existence, about which I can coherently "make comments". However, it might be better to say that spacetime exists with time rather than in time. Analogously, spacetime cannot properly be said to exist in space (unless there is a >3D hyperspace which includes 3D space).
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 25th, 2023, 9:36 am This looks wrong to me. Spacetime contains/includes time, so referring to it as an apparently external thing is wrong. Spacetime exists, or has existence. But we can't say that spacetime has always existed, because that takes time outside of spacetime. When you refer to spacetime as a thing, which is perfectly valid, you can make no comment about its chronic existence; it doesn't make sense (to me). How can or could there be a "time in the past", "when spacetime didn't exist"???
Consul wrote: February 25th, 2023, 7:22 pm To say that spacetime has always existed is to say that it exists at all times, which means that there is no time when spacetime doesn't exist.
OK... 🤔🤔🤔

Consul wrote: February 25th, 2023, 7:22 pm There is no transcendent "hypertime" due to all times being part of spacetime; but spacetime has nonetheless a temporal existence, about which I can coherently "make comments".
No. Spacetime has "existence", of course, but spacetime has no "temporal" existence. There is no time outside spacetime because spacetime contains its own time dimension.

Ah! Wait a minute! I've been thinking of "spacetime" as "the spacetime universe". Is that what you mean, or is it your intention to refer to spacetime as a 4D extension of our concept of 'space', within which the spacetime universe exists? If so, then it's difficult to see how, and in what way, spacetime exists at all. Do 3D Cartesian axes exist, or are they just a conceptual framework on which we hang stuff? I tend to the latter, I think. 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Consul

Post by Consul »

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 26th, 2023, 8:29 am
Consul wrote: February 25th, 2023, 7:22 pm There is no transcendent "hypertime" due to all times being part of spacetime; but spacetime has nonetheless a temporal existence, about which I can coherently "make comments".
No. Spacetime has "existence", of course, but spacetime has no "temporal" existence. There is no time outside spacetime because spacetime contains its own time dimension.
Right, but it does have a temporal existence by having a temporal dimension and temporal parts.
Pattern-chaser wrote: February 26th, 2023, 8:29 amAh! Wait a minute! I've been thinking of "spacetime" as "the spacetime universe". Is that what you mean, or is it your intention to refer to spacetime as a 4D extension of our concept of 'space', within which the spacetime universe exists? If so, then it's difficult to see how, and in what way, spacetime exists at all. Do 3D Cartesian axes exist, or are they just a conceptual framework on which we hang stuff? I tend to the latter, I think.
By "spacetime" I mean "the spacetime universe" ("the spatiotemporally extended material universe") with its three spatial dimensions and its one temporal dimension.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: February 26th, 2023, 1:42 pmBy "spacetime" I mean "the spacetime universe" ("the spatiotemporally extended material universe") with its three spatial dimensions and its one temporal dimension.
So what I mean is "MEST" = "the matter-energy-space-time world".

The OED defines "eternal" as "infinite in past and future duration; without beginning or end; that always has existed and always will exist."

As far as MEST as a whole is concerned, it has always (at all times) existed and will always (at all times) exist, even if it is not the case that it is "infinite in past and future duration, without beginning or end." That is, even if MEST has a temporal boundary in the past and the future, there was never a time beyond its boundary in the past when it didn't exist, and there will never be a time beyond its boundary in the future when it doesn't exist.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Consul wrote: February 26th, 2023, 1:42 pmBy "spacetime" I mean "the spacetime universe" ("the spatiotemporally extended material universe") with its three spatial dimensions and its one temporal dimension.
Consul wrote: February 26th, 2023, 1:57 pm So what I mean is "MEST" = "the matter-energy-space-time world".

The OED defines "eternal" as "infinite in past and future duration; without beginning or end; that always has existed and always will exist."

As far as MEST as a whole is concerned, it has always (at all times) existed and will always (at all times) exist, even if it is not the case that it is "infinite in past and future duration, without beginning or end." That is, even if MEST has a temporal boundary in the past and the future, there was never a time beyond its boundary in the past when it didn't exist, and there will never be a time beyond its boundary in the future when it doesn't exist.
The MEST has a temporal dimension. Therefore, it has a start and (presumably) an end. If we imagine a time axis to our graph, there will be points on that axis that come before the birth of the MEST, and other points beyond its end. The MEST has not "always (at all times) existed"; those points on the time-axis say otherwise. Ditto time beyond the end of MEST.

The meaning of time outside MEST's time dimension is dubious, admittedly. But time, like distance, is a nothing; it's just a yardstick of our invention, a measurement-standard that allows us to make and use measurements of aspects/attributes of the MEST (or something else, if there is, or can be, something else).
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote: February 26th, 2023, 1:57 pm
So what I mean is "MEST" = "the matter-energy-space-time world".

Eternity is true and MEST (and all Mest's myriad creatures) is true. Eternity and MEST are aspects of nature. There may be yet more aspects of nature for all we can know.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 27th, 2023, 12:29 pm The MEST has a temporal dimension. Therefore, it has a start and (presumably) an end. If we imagine a time axis to our graph, there will be points on that axis that come before the birth of the MEST, and other points beyond its end. The MEST has not "always (at all times) existed"; those points on the time-axis say otherwise. Ditto time beyond the end of MEST.

The meaning of time outside MEST's time dimension is dubious, admittedly. But time, like distance, is a nothing; it's just a yardstick of our invention, a measurement-standard that allows us to make and use measurements of aspects/attributes of the MEST (or something else, if there is, or can be, something else).
Speaking of time (or space) outside or beyond MEST isn't just "dubious", it's nonsensical—no matter whether its temporal (or spatial) dimension is finite or infinite, since MEST contains all times (and places). Of course, if the Big Bang isn't the absolute beginning of MEST as a whole, but just a local event in MEST, then its temporal (and spatial) dimension doesn't begin with the Big Bang, in which case there is pre-BB time (and pre-BB space). But even if there is, there can be no trans-MEST time (or trans-MEST space); and it is still true that MEST has always (at all past times) existed and will always (at all future times) exist, since there can be no trans-MEST time when MEST doesn't exist.
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

Philosopher Dr. Bernardo Kastrup on iai.tv: Materialism will be mocked.

Despite decades of space exploration, it has never been tested whether Earth life, including microbes, plants, and animals, can remain alive at distances beyond the Moon. That simple fact raises a question: why has that remained unexplored?

The answer seems to be found in the stubborn cultural belief in materialism, combined with the assumption that life is independent of the solar system because humans have been culturally ingrained through films such as Star Trek to believe that they will travel through the cosmos as independent biochemical bundles of matter.

NGC about 'the science of Star Trek like space travel' (2016)
NGC about 'the science of Star Trek like space travel' (2016)
Star-Trek-Hi-Res-Cover.jpg (73.34 KiB) Viewed 780 times

Perplexity.AI concluded that "there is currently no evidence to suggest that life can remain alive independent of a fundamental energy source in the solar system. Currently, there are no known factors in the solar system or the universe aside from neutrinos that could potentially provide the fundamental energy required for life to be possible." This fact highlights the importance of energy to make life possible and the specificity of the energy required for life's specific directional energetic organizing behavior.

Despite this fact, humans are confidently being sent to Mars without ever having tested whether earth life, including microbes, plants, and animals, can remain alive at a further distance than the Moon. This fundamental negligence to test whether earth life can remain alive deeper in space before investing trillions of USD to prepare for sending humans to Mars might provide a case for groundbreaking evidence that materialism has been a fundamental mistake of humanity.

Furthermore, there is a risk that Earth life forms may not survive on Mars through neutrino energy due to the difference in distance between Mars and the Sun compared to the distance between Earth and the Sun. Neutrinos are very weakly interacting particles, and their interactions with matter are largely dependent on distance. As the distance between the source of neutrinos (in this case, the Sun) and the recipient (Earth or Mars) changes, the number of neutrinos that interact with matter changes as well.

If Earth life is indeed bound to a region around the 🌞 Sun, that could have profound implications for the understanding of life, consciousness, and the ambitions to explore the cosmos.

The fact that it was never tested whether Earth life can remain alive in space at a further distance than the Moon before investing trillions of USD to prepare for sending humans to Mars might provide a case for groundbreaking evidence that materialism has been a fundamental mistake of humanity.
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

In the book In It Together by the founder of onlinephilosophyclub.com it seems to be argued that materialism is linked to greed and a money-addicted culture. This might help explain why humanity might have a difficulty to depart from materialism.

"Consider our greed, our overindulgence, our money-addicted materialism and our gluttony. These are various symptoms and varying words for a shared fundamental quality, call it what you will. Whatever you call it, it is by itself as problematic as the problems it seems to cause."
Consul

Post by Consul »

value wrote: April 18th, 2023, 3:29 am Philosopher Dr. Bernardo Kastrup on iai. tv: "Materialism will be mocked".
"Because materialism cannot explain experience…" – B. Kastrup

Source: https:// iai. tv/articles/every-generation-scorns-the-picture-of-reality-which-came-before-auid-1349

Can antimaterialism explain experience?!
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

I am unable to defend the position of Bernardo Kastrup, however, antimaterialism is still based on the idea of materialism. At question is: what is reality or how can it be explained? When materialism is invalid then that does not imply that an 'opposite' would need to be the case.

The notion that materialism considers experience to be a product of the material world is an aspect that I have been questioning myself.

An example of a materialist on this forum:
Terrapin Station wrote: March 19th, 2020, 9:37 amI'm an atheist.
Terrapin Station wrote: March 5th, 2020, 4:30 pmSo I'm a physicalist. I'm convinced that the mind is simply brain processes.
value wrote:
  1. Do you believe in intrinsic existence without mind?
  2. Do you believe that mind has a cause within the scope of physical reality?
Yes and yes. I'm a realist and a physicalist (aka "materialist").
What would be your defence of materialism in the face of the critique by Bernardo Kastrup? Your comment makes it appear that you would have to agree with him that materialism cannot explain experience. Is that correct?

p.s. when you would buy the book In It Together for $4.99 you would become an admin on the forum so that you can post links and edit posts.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

value wrote: April 18th, 2023, 3:29 am Despite this fact, humans are confidently being sent to Mars without ever having tested whether earth life, including microbes, plants, and animals, can remain alive at a further distance than the Moon.
There are many more assumptions and suppositions associated with space exploration than just this one. Many, many, more.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

value wrote: April 18th, 2023, 3:29 amDespite decades of space exploration, it has never been tested whether Earth life, including microbes, plants, and animals, can remain alive at distances beyond the Moon. That simple fact raises a question: why has that remained unexplored?
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 20th, 2023, 9:22 amThere are many more assumptions and suppositions associated with space exploration than just this one. Many, many, more.
Wouldn't you agree that it should have been the first thing to test? And doesn't it appear to be a cultural belief in materialism that is the cause of the negligence?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream