Materialism is absurd

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Chili

Re: Materialism is absurd

Post by Chili »

What if some of my neighbors are conscious and others are not? Certainly, automata are everywhere which mimic a conscious person's behavior's to a greater and greater degree. Everywhere in my neighbor's brain, I will find blind automatic physical chemical reactions. Why would I imagine that adding millions of blind reactions together gives something beyond a blind automatic situation? If particle physics is sufficient to model my neighbor, then why would I imagine there to be agency and/or consciousness there? It's just like the weather. Our understanding of weather at a reductionist physical level got better and better, so that pleading to Zeus to spare us rain & lightning fell out of favor. Occam's razor, really. I am much more certain that I have subjective experiences than that I have a brain. With my neighbor it is vice versa.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Chili wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pmWhat if some of my neighbors are conscious and others are not? Certainly, automata are everywhere which mimic a conscious person's behavior's to a greater and greater degree. Everywhere in my neighbor's brain, I will find blind automatic physical chemical reactions. Why would I imagine that adding millions of blind reactions together gives something beyond a blind automatic situation? If particle physics is sufficient to model my neighbor, then why would I imagine there to be agency and/or consciousness there? It's just like the weather. Our understanding of weather at a reductionist physical level got better and better, so that pleading to Zeus to spare us rain & lightning fell out of favor. Occam's razor, really. I am much more certain that I have subjective experiences than that I have a brain. With my neighbor it is vice versa.
You don't innerly perceive your experiences as brain processes, but it doesn't follow that they aren't brain processes.

Why should I doubt that my neighbors are subjects of consciousness too? We're all members of the same animal species (homo sapiens) sharing the same evolutionary history, so how plausible is it that I happen to be the only conscious one among them?

If my parents are nonconscious zombies, why am I not a nonconscious zombie too?

Yes, there are far-fetched possibilities, such as that extraterrestrial aliens secretely replaced my conscious neighbors with nonconscious behavioral duplicates; but I don't have to take these seriously, do I?
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Felix

Post by Felix »

Consul: "If my parents are nonconscious zombies, why am I not a nonconscious zombie too?"

My guess is that they are not your biological parents, you were adopted.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Chili

Post by Chili »

Consul wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 2:50 pm
You don't innerly perceive your experiences as brain processes, but it doesn't follow that they aren't brain processes.

Why should I doubt that my neighbors are subjects of consciousness too? We're all members of the same animal species (homo sapiens) sharing the same evolutionary history, so how plausible is it that I happen to be the only conscious one among them?

If my parents are nonconscious zombies, why am I not a nonconscious zombie too?

Yes, there are far-fetched possibilities, such as that extraterrestrial aliens secretely replaced my conscious neighbors with nonconscious behavioral duplicates; but I don't have to take these seriously, do I?
Reasonable as far as it goes ... but it would be a mistake to refer to belief in other minds as a scientific truth.

The materialist who believes the world contains consciousness is in a bit of a pickle. Which model works best:

* particle physics gives rise to consciousness, which then chooses action

* particle physics gives rise to action, and also gives rise to consciousness, which doesn't influence action

* particle physics gives rise to action, and consciousness is just something some people believe in, like ghosts
Consul

Post by Consul »

Chili wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 4:02 pmReasonable as far as it goes ... but it would be a mistake to refer to belief in other minds as a scientific truth.
But the mere logical possibility of solipsism is no good reason to disbelieve in other (conscious) minds.

"Doesn't one need reasons for doubt?"

(L. Wittgenstein, On Certainty, §122)

I have no reasons to doubt that I am not the only conscious being, and I have many reasons to believe that there are many other conscious beings, including many nonhuman ones.
Chili wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 4:02 pmThe materialist who believes the world contains consciousness is in a bit of a pickle. Which model works best:

* particle physics gives rise to consciousness, which then chooses action

* particle physics gives rise to action, and also gives rise to consciousness, which doesn't influence action

* particle physics gives rise to action, and consciousness is just something some people believe in, like ghosts
Eliminativism about consciousness is obviously false, but epiphenomenalism is not. Reductive physicalists can easily reject epiphenomenalism, since according to them experiences are physical events, and physical events are non-epiphenomenal. However, nonreductive physicalists have a hard time defending psychophysical interactionism against epiphenomenalism, especially as the concept of mental-to-physical "downward/top-down causation" is highly questionable.
Chili

Post by Chili »

Consul wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 4:51 pm
"Doesn't one need reasons for doubt?"

(L. Wittgenstein, On Certainty, §122)
Maybe but that's the opposite of how science works. For instance you can believe in God but you can't claim scientific justification for it.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Chili wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 5:23 pmMaybe but that's the opposite of how science works. For instance you can believe in God but you can't claim scientific justification for it.
As I said, there can very well be third-person neuroscientific evidence for (the absence or presence of) consciousness, since there are objective neural correlates of consciousness, the absence or presence of which is (non-accidentally) correlated with the absence or presence of consciousness.
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Consul wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 5:40 pm
Chili wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 5:23 pmMaybe but that's the opposite of how science works. For instance you can believe in God but you can't claim scientific justification for it.
As I said, there can very well be third-person neuroscientific evidence for (the absence or presence of) consciousness, since there are objective neural correlates of consciousness, the absence or presence of which is (non-accidentally) correlated with the absence or presence of consciousness.
Yes Consul of course. Still, one cannot dispense with an inquiry as to the nature of consciousness apart from its correlation to neural processes.

You seem to want to accept the correlation between the two as an excuse for assuming that consciousness is merely epiphenomenal. Yet we must realize that "correlation" is not necessarily causation. Consciousness may very well have attributes that go beyond the correlations with neural activity. The third person observations may only be capturing the high points and completely missing the subtleties of conscious experience.
Consul

Post by Consul »

BigBango wrote: July 4th, 2019, 2:54 amYes Consul of course. Still, one cannot dispense with an inquiry as to the nature of consciousness apart from its correlation to neural processes.
We have introspective psychology and phenomenology for the first-person inquiry into consciousness.
BigBango wrote: July 4th, 2019, 2:54 amYou seem to want to accept the correlation between the two as an excuse for assuming that consciousness is merely epiphenomenal.
I merely said that nonreductive physicalism about consciousness is threatened by epiphenomenalism.
BigBango wrote: July 4th, 2019, 2:54 amYet we must realize that "correlation" is not necessarily causation. Consciousness may very well have attributes that go beyond the correlations with neural activity. The third person observations may only be capturing the high points and completely missing the subtleties of conscious experience.
Yes, correlation needn't be causation; and the relation between neural processes and experiences needn't be causal. If it is causal, experiences qua effects of neural processes can exhibit new qualities (qualia) that are absent from their neural causes. But according to reductive physicalism, experiences aren't effects of neural processes but neural processes themselves. If this is true, the qualia of experience are complex neural properties. Of course, there is then still a difference between internally perceiving a quale from the first-person point of view and externally perceiving it from the third-person point of view, because you cannot internally perceive a quale as a complex neural property, and you cannot externally perceive a complex neural property as a quale. But reductionists argue that this doesn't mean that there is no identity, since one and the same thing can look different from different perspectives or points of view.
Chili

Post by Chili »

Consul wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 5:40 pm As I said, there can very well be third-person neuroscientific evidence for (the absence or presence of) consciousness, since there are objective neural correlates of consciousness, the absence or presence of which is (non-accidentally) correlated with the absence or presence of consciousness.
You can correlate two things once you can detect or measure them both. Once you have decided that person A is conscious and person B is not, you can correlate what you have decided to the neurological activity, but it all rests on your decision about the two people and their states. Otherwise what I am doing is correlating neural states on the one hand and behaviors that convince me a person is conscious on the other. We're not dealing with consciousness per se.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Chili wrote: July 4th, 2019, 12:23 pm
Consul wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 5:40 pm As I said, there can very well be third-person neuroscientific evidence for (the absence or presence of) consciousness, since there are objective neural correlates of consciousness, the absence or presence of which is (non-accidentally) correlated with the absence or presence of consciousness.
You can correlate two things once you can detect or measure them both. Once you have decided that person A is conscious and person B is not, you can correlate what you have decided to the neurological activity, but it all rests on your decision about the two people and their states. Otherwise what I am doing is correlating neural states on the one hand and behaviors that convince me a person is conscious on the other. We're not dealing with consciousness per se.
But that is all we can ever do for anything.
That's all we've got.
It does not get any better whatever you look into.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Chili wrote: July 4th, 2019, 12:23 pm
Of course, the science of consciousness depends on introspective reports, which are a kind of behavior—linguistic behavior. Neuroscientists don't have direct access to the subjective introspective data on which introspective reports are based (which raises the question of the epistemic reliability of the latter). A nonconscious AI robot might be programmed to make false introspective reports that aren't based on any actual introspective data, since in the robot's case there's nothing to introspect due to the absence of consciousness.
So, yes, the science of consciousness does have serious epistemological and methodological problems, because behavior doesn't entail consciousness, and consciousness doesn't entail behavior. But it doesn't follow that a science, particularly a neuroscience of consciousness is impossible. See: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/cons ... roscience/

Also see: David Chalmers: How Can We Construct a Science of Consciousness? (PDF)
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: July 4th, 2019, 12:48 pmOf course, the science of consciousness depends on introspective reports, which are a kind of behavior—linguistic behavior.
There are also "no-report paradigms": https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/cons ... NoRepoPara
Chili

Post by Chili »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 4th, 2019, 12:26 pm But that is all we can ever do for anything.
That's all we've got.
It does not get any better whatever you look into.
Most science can be described as a search for correlation between what measuring devices register numerically.

So many things in human life can be simply shown to be the same as what some device is measuring, but consciousness per see is another matter.
Chili

Post by Chili »

Is the outer world really there? I cannot use the scientific method to answer this question. I just have to take it as a given, and make a footnote that I have done so. I can use science to explore various correlations between aspects of the outer world. Are any of those objects or beings out there having
subjective experiences? I cannot use the scientific method to answer this question. I just have to take it as a given, and make a footnote that I have done so. Everything that is said by Chalmers et al proceeds after both of these givens are accepted. I'm not sure sometimes how many people appreciate that.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream