Materialism is absurd

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Tamminen

Materialism is absurd

Post by Tamminen »

Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
Materialism: a theory that physical matter is the only or fundamental reality and that all being and processes and phenomena can be explained as manifestations or results of matter
“Everything is matter.” Who says so? I, the subject. And if there were no subject who says so, there would be no one for whom matter matters, and therefore there would be no sense in saying that there is anything at all, because being and its meaning are not separable from each other. Nothingness of meaning means nothingness of being. So there is at least (1) the subject's (2) consciousness of (3) matter, instead of matter only. All three components are necessary to make a satisfactory ontological picture of reality.

That I, as the subject, could be somehow reducible to my objects, or that my consciousness of matter could be somehow reducible to what I am conscious of, is absurd.

Matter matters to me, but nothing matters to matter.

So by doing a simple phenomenological analysis of the being of matter we find that materialism is a self-contradictory position.
Consul

Re: Materialism is absurd

Post by Consul »

Tamminen wrote: May 20th, 2019, 9:25 am Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
Materialism: a theory that physical matter is the only or fundamental reality and that all being and processes and phenomena can be explained as manifestations or results of matter
“Everything is matter.” Who says so? I, the subject. And if there were no subject who says so, there would be no one for whom matter matters, and therefore there would be no sense in saying that there is anything at all, because being and its meaning are not separable from each other. Nothingness of meaning means nothingness of being. So there is at least (1) the subject's (2) consciousness of (3) matter, instead of matter only. All three components are necessary to make a satisfactory ontological picture of reality.

That I, as the subject, could be somehow reducible to my objects, or that my consciousness of matter could be somehow reducible to what I am conscious of, is absurd.

So by doing a simple phenomenological analysis of the being of matter we find that materialism is a self-contradictory position.
No, you're wrong, because being is independent of meaning. Objective existence is independent of subjective importance/relevance/significance.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

I question materialism as well. If materialism is true, then everything can be explained by physical properties. I have thoughts, desires, goals, beliefs, knowledge- they are realities, and yet none of those things have physical properties, therefore materialism is false.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Tamminen wrote: May 20th, 2019, 9:25 am

And thus matter both pre- and post- exsits you.
anonymous66 --- I have thoughts, desires, goals, beliefs, knowledge- they are realities, and yet none of those things have physical properties, therefore materialism is false.
Try having thoughts, desires, goals, beliefs and knowledge without having physical properties.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Consul wrote: May 21st, 2019, 5:00 pm No, you're wrong, because being is independent of meaning. Objective existence is independent of subjective importance/relevance/significance.
Only the subject can make claims about reality. The subject can only make claims about objects within the subject-world relationship. Also claims about places in physical spacetime where there are no actual subjects are made within the subject-world relationship. That such valid claims can be made is not a valid argument for materialism.

Wittgenstein remarked that we can only seek in space. In the same way we can say that we can only posit something in logical space. And it makes no sense to speak about logical space if there is no one for whom it is the logical space to operate in. So the subject is the limit of the logical space where the world exists. Therefore we cannot get rid of the subject in ontology. Ignoring the subject would be going beyond the limits of logic.

The universe is the subject's home. Nothing else.
Alias wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:08 pm And thus matter both pre- and post- exsits you.
See my reply to Consul.
Alias wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:08 pm Try having thoughts, desires, goals, beliefs and knowledge without having physical properties.
I am not claiming that it is possible. We speak of different things.
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Yes I agree with Tamminen. My only argument with Tamminen is that the "subject" has physical properties we have not been attending to. I am not asserting that the subject is simply physical properties that we have not discovered, but I am asserting that the subject has physical properties that we have not yet discovered. Let us not make the mistake that the "subject" has no physical nature that we have overlooked.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Consul wrote: May 21st, 2019, 5:00 pm ...being is independent of meaning. Objective existence is independent of subjective importance/relevance/significance.
I did not speak about "subjective importance/relevance/significance". I claim that all being, to be in the first place, must have a subjective perspective: it must mean something for the subject, whatever it means, or lacks all meaning, as long as there is the subject's perspective to being. Without it being loses not only meaning but itself. Note that we have a subjective perspective also to events that we are not conscious of, or which have no physical contact to us.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Alias wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:08 pm
anonymous66 --- I have thoughts, desires, goals, beliefs, knowledge- they are realities, and yet none of those things have physical properties, therefore materialism is false.
Try having thoughts, desires, goals, beliefs and knowledge without having physical properties.
You are quite correct- nothing physical= nothing mental. And yet materialism is still absurd. I propose that all matter has both physical and mental properties.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Tamminen nice job of defining it, per Webster's.

But you did not explain or "prove" why you believe it is "absurd".

You simply have stated your summary opinion.

This is not a case of a-priori validity.

It is more of a challenge in the realm of a-posteriori requiring a heavy dose of induction, deduction, logic, and careful attention not to get trapped by fallacies.

Maybe you should try again.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Alias wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:08 pm
Tamminen wrote: May 20th, 2019, 9:25 am

And thus matter both pre- and post- exsits you.
We will all get to try that someday when our bodies have dissolved or been cremated back into their basic chemical elements and compounds. No body lasts forever. Around 115 seems to be the maximum, and throughout all history we only know of 48 people who have accomplished this. Only 4 of them are now still living.

Of course that's the question isn't it? What are we able to do without these physical bodies of ours?

As for me, I am not worried about this. I presume that one day the lights will go out of my body and I will then enter some other kind of state. And whether I do or don't does not matter either because there is nothing I can do about it.

I worry more about my cat. He has a 15 to 20 year normal lifespan and he is now 5 years old. I will be heartbroken when he must leave the world of the living.

The Philosophy God(s) must feel the same way about us. He/She/They must watch us ultimately die, and must miss those of us whom were loved.
Felix

Post by Felix »

"I worry more about my cat. He has a 15 to 20 year normal lifespan and he is now 5 years old."

How ironic, since he may be feeling sorry for you, a poor creature trapped in temporal awareness who measures his life in years.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Felix wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 2:35 pm "I worry more about my cat. He has a 15 to 20 year normal lifespan and he is now 5 years old."

How ironic, since he may be feeling sorry for you, a poor creature trapped in temporal awareness who measures his life in years.
The Cat lives in the moment and enjoys every moment of it, yes indeed.

But his future and mine are both dependent on my getting things done, which requires temporal awareness.

Cats and other animals besides humans are NOT philosophers. They only live in the moment.

We as philosophers alone are able to comprehend the past and the future as well.
Felix

Post by Felix »

"Cats and other animals besides humans are NOT philosophers. They only live in the moment."

Call it a living philosophy, as someone once said, "All my Zen teachers are cats."
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Felix wrote: May 23rd, 2019, 2:40 am "Cats and other animals besides humans are NOT philosophers. They only live in the moment."

Call it a living philosophy, as someone once said, "All my Zen teachers are cats."
My cat has very weak ethics because whenever I prepare meat in the kitchen for cooking, he tries to steal it.

He already stole a fish fillet from me when my back was turned.

While my cat is a great natural born hunter, he is definitely not a philosopher.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

All empirical evidence of consciousness is based upon material. Specifically it is neural material. Without it there is nothing of the kind.
So I think you might want to extend your understanding of matter to include the unique organisations of matter to include such things as information, data, and consciousness.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream