Are you a Realist or a Nominalist?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Consul

Re: Are you a Realist or a Nominalist?

Post by Consul »

Felix wrote: July 13th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Consul said: There's a distinction between the apparent location of experiences, particularly of sensations in the subjective, egocentrically organized space of phenomenal consciousness and their real location in objective physical space. For example, a toe-pain is phenomenally located where a visual color-shape impression of my toe is phenomenally located; but both the toe-pain and the visual toe-impresssion are really located somewhere in the physical space occupied by my brain rather than where my physical toe is.
That's silly, it's like saying the orchestra I hear playing on my radio is actually located inside the radio. You're confusing perception with conception.
No, that's not silly, because the complex sound-impression you experience when you listen to a symphony is actually located in your brain. It is realized by and in your brain. This is not to say that it's phenomenally located where impressions of your head are phenomenally located, but that it's physically located where your head is physically located.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
GaryLouisSmith
Favorite Philosopher: Gustav Bergmann

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Jklint wrote: July 13th, 2019, 5:36 pm A Medieval mind game of absolutely no importance to the here and now. Whatever perspectives exist in this realm are nothing more than philosophical speculations with no apparent use except as a mind game of dueling terms and conditions. It devolves to dividing experienced realities into artificial abstractions forcing gestalt phenomena as encountered into sections and paradigms which are inherently alien to it.

These kind of long-term Scholastic conceptualizations as practiced in the West did have a positive function once in training the mind to think abstractly as disciplines fundamental to math and the sciences as it emerged in the West. The best that can be said on such historical intellections is they were preparatory for the more complex and pertinacious ones which conjoin to create the realities we experience but now remain devoid of purpose though still subsisting within the hallowed halls of academia as barely visible remnants of past speculations.
“A Medieval mind game of absolutely no importance to the here and now.” I sort of agree. The problem is our general conception of “medieval” is something created by the Romantics of the nineteenth century. It has become a thing of high romance. Still, the real Medieval time did have a lot of romantic poetry, both religious and secular. That said I will admit that I am one who plays “Medieval mind-games”. The glass bead game.

“It devolves to dividing experienced realities into artificial abstractions forcing gestalt phenomena as encountered into sections and paradigms which are inherently alien to it.” Dividing Dividing Dividing. Yes, that’s what I do. I call it analysis. Sparagmos. Sacrificial cutting. Everything becomes doubled. The particular is other than the Form that it exemplifies. When one deals in doubles, one is in the paranormal with ghosts and romance. And, yes, it is of no importance to the here and now. I and my analyses are other.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Consul said: No, that's not silly, because the complex sound-impression you experience when you listen to a symphony is actually located in your brain. It is realized by and in your brain. This is not to say that it's phenomenally located where impressions of your head are phenomenally located, but that it's physically located where your head is physically located.
That is so absurdly simplistic that I don't know what to say... can you or anyone else pinpoint the physical location in your brain of every subjective experience you have?
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Consul

Post by Consul »

Felix wrote: July 13th, 2019, 8:44 pmThat is so absurdly simplistic that I don't know what to say... can you or anyone else pinpoint the physical location in your brain of every subjective experience you have?
Experiences aren't precisely locatable in the brain unless the precise locations of those neural processes therein are known which constitute them.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: July 13th, 2019, 9:02 pmExperiences aren't precisely locatable in the brain unless the precise locations of those neural processes therein are known which constitute them.
Even if we cannot pinpoint the precise location of an experience in the brain, it is nonetheless located somewhere in the brain.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: July 13th, 2019, 8:11 pm “A Medieval mind game of absolutely no importance to the here and now.”

I sort of agree. The problem is our general conception of “medieval” is something created by the Romantics of the nineteenth century. It has become a thing of high romance. Still, the real Medieval time did have a lot of romantic poetry, both religious and secular. That said I will admit that I am one who plays “Medieval mind-games”. The glass bead game.
That's fine, no objections, as long as one realizes it's only a game, however hyper-intellectual it pretends to be. Aside from the pleasure of dueling metaphors, terms and conditions, it has nothing to offer in a world whose underpinnings are even more abstract and artificial separations philosophically argued appear thoroughly extraneous without consequence.

Also, In context, when I say "Medieval", it was meant to denote Scholastic philosophies when such mind games were rampant but disciplined and not some 19th century imagery of troubadours in the Middle Ages.
GaryLouisSmith wrote: July 13th, 2019, 8:11 pm “It devolves to dividing experienced realities into artificial abstractions forcing gestalt phenomena as encountered into sections and paradigms which are inherently alien to it.”

Dividing Dividing Dividing. Yes, that’s what I do. I call it analysis. Sparagmos. Sacrificial cutting. Everything becomes doubled. The particular is other than the Form that it exemplifies. When one deals in doubles, one is in the paranormal with ghosts and romance. And, yes, it is of no importance to the here and now. I and my analyses are other.
I think of it more in terms of Mozart's description of coloratura singing...cutup noodles.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Jklint wrote: July 13th, 2019, 9:35 pm
I think of it more in terms of Mozart's description of coloratura singing...cutup noodles.
You call it a game and thereby trivialize it. I, in my writing, call it madness and madness is far from being trivial. Furthermore, like Plato I attribute that madness to the god Eros. Philosophy is erotic madness. The mistake you make, by calling it a game, is that you make is mere frivolous decoration. What you should be doing is condemning it as evil. You should be seeing it as a curse on good society. You should try mightily to eradicate it from the world. It is religion. And like your fellows you should find it a horror that we must stamp out. It is not a mere trivial game. It is not coloratura. It is EVIL. And it is everywhere. This would be a good time for paranoia.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: July 13th, 2019, 10:15 pm
Jklint wrote: July 13th, 2019, 9:35 pm
You call it a game and thereby trivialize it. I, in my writing, call it madness and madness is far from being trivial. Furthermore, like Plato I attribute that madness to the god Eros. Philosophy is erotic madness. The mistake you make, by calling it a game, is that you make is mere frivolous decoration. What you should be doing is condemning it as evil. You should be seeing it as a curse on good society. You should try mightily to eradicate it from the world. It is religion. And like your fellows you should find it a horror that we must stamp out. It is not a mere trivial game. It is not coloratura. It is EVIL. And it is everywhere. This would be a good time for paranoia.
I'm no-longer certain whether we're discussing the same subject. From the way I read your post philosophy is a type of madness tantamount to evil or I misunderstood your intention. I never considered it as such but more in the nature of being or becoming bureaucratically deformed by the imposition of too many theories which attempt to analyze reality as generally understood and experienced. Since anyone can deconstruct and reconstruct according to one's own mental blueprints the resulting thought webs appear as if done by a spider on too much caffeine...useless, a comedy of errors, its comedic effect enhanced by an overly strained intellectualism to confirm an argument. But if philosophy is evil, which depends purely on content as individual as the person proclaiming it, can it not by the same means also go in the opposite direction?

Whether on philosophy forums or works published by so-called professionals, thoughts and ideas are like chess pieces played against each other seeking credibility by argumentation. It's easy to notice things which are stupid, small-minded and nonsensical; sometimes it's hilarious and sometimes frustrating but hardly evil. There are some things I'm paranoid about but philosophers and would-be versions are not particularly concerning.

But, as mentioned, I may not have understood what you meant.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Jklint wrote: July 14th, 2019, 1:24 am
Whether on philosophy forums or works published by so-called professionals, thoughts and ideas are like chess pieces played against
each
Your view of philosophy is much more benign than that of many other people, especially people who are from an older generation. I really don’t know anything at all about you. I don’t know how old you are or how much or how long you have been thinking about philosophy. I know that you write a very learned sentence. Believe me, most positivists from the twentieth century wrote the most condemning things about philosophy. There was great violence in their words. They thought it was religion by another name. If you know about the French Revolution, then you know that the clergy and scholastic philosophers were condemned to death. Religion and religious philosophy was the great evil. Today on social media you can still find such people. The anti-theists abound. I write a theistic philosophy.

I also think philosophy is not benign. And I really do think it is madness. Whether that madness is demonic or divine is another question. That was the question of Plato’s Phaedrus. First Socrates made a speech in which he described it as demonic. Many people today would agree with that speech. Next he made a speech in which he described it as divine. Many people today would disagree with him on that. I think the madness is divine, but it is madness. I come out of a charismatic church. My grandmother was a religious fanatic, a Pentecostal speaking-in-tongure, holy roller. A wild woman.. She taught me how to argue theology.

The way you spoke against scholastic philosophers, many of whom I admire, made me think you too thought such philosophy was evil. Like a positivist you defended science against the barbarians. I thought you were a f*cking rationalist. Those people are clean clean clean clean and will tolerate no mention of sex in their clean clean clean logic. Yes, religion and my philosophy speak of the flesh often and with relish. Sartre in his book Nausea describes how a philosophical vision will make you sick. Yes, it will. So will erotics. Those books by Hesse, Mann and also Gide are gay romance. I think a young gay person first reading them and understanding what is being said will feel a nervous anxiety in his stomach. And he will become paralyzed by them. He will not be able to take care of the things he must. He will become decadent. I did. I still am.

So is philosophy evil? Gide wrote that a certain kind of desire was immoral because it made a person forget to take care of his property. He became numb and just couldn’t do what was right according to society. Philosophy, as I do philosophy, is that kind of desire. I have written up as much. Such a philosopher is not an upstanding member of society. But if philosophy is only what you said it was, then it is nothing at all. Now if you want I can write something about Nietzsche.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote: July 13th, 2019, 9:07 pm
Consul wrote: July 13th, 2019, 9:02 pmExperiences aren't precisely locatable in the brain unless the precise locations of those neural processes therein are known which constitute them.
Even if we cannot pinpoint the precise location of an experience in the brain, it is nonetheless located somewhere in the brain.
Consul is right

https://www.theguardian.com/science/200 ... sofscience
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Belindi wrote: July 14th, 2019, 3:59 am
Consul wrote: July 13th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Consul is right

To say that an experience is located in the brain is utter nonsense. But you knew I would say that.
Felix

Post by Felix »

GaryLouisSmith said: To say that an experience is located in the brain is utter nonsense.
Yes, I agree. It's a passe 19th Century Newtonian concept, which has been effectively discredited now by quantum physics and chaos theory.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote: July 13th, 2019, 7:59 pm
Belindi wrote: July 13th, 2019, 7:38 pmAre universalia in rebus the same as definiens?

definiens (plural definientia) (semantics) The word or phrase that defines the definiendum in a definition. In the defining statement “A lake is a large, landlocked, naturally occurring stretch of water”, “large, landlocked, naturally occurring stretch of water” is the definiens.
No, if (immanent or transcendent) universals exist, they can be represented linguistically, but they aren't linguistic entities.
Do concepts such as 'large', 'landlocked',and 'naturally occurring' become particulars ? It could be true that linguistic form and lexicon determine worldviews such as believing Aristotelian universals exist.

These three concepts together with other so-called 'universals' may be considered to be universals because they are so commonly distributed around our world. There could be scenarios where a large(noun), or 'a landlocked'(noun) , is one of many potentially quantifiable particulars. It's already the case that 'a naturally occurring'(noun) is one of many increasingly rare quantifiable particulars in the modern world where most particulars are artificial.

Briefly, so-called universals might come to be experienced in real lives as significant particulars. Icons of the beautiful or the good might become particular beauties or goods. Keats's nightingale became enduring particular beauty as Keats explained.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: July 14th, 2019, 4:13 am
Belindi wrote: July 14th, 2019, 3:59 am

Consul is right

To say that an experience is located in the brain is utter nonsense. But you knew I would say that.

Does experience require an experiencer? Or not? I say experience requires both an experiencer and an object of experience and that the experience itself is the relationship between the subject and the object. The brain-mind's function at least the cognitive part of the brain-mind is seeking and establishing relationships between subject and object. The liminal state is much to be desired for several reasons however you will always be tolled back to your sole self.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: July 14th, 2019, 4:13 am To say that an experience is located in the brain is utter nonsense.
Right. An experience is "located" in the "world" of experiences if we can meaninfully say that it is located anywhere. The brain is located in the world the experience is about. The experience has material correlates in the brain. So let us not make this more complicated than it is.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream