Is Time Just an Idea?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Is Time Just an Idea?

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote: October 1st, 2021, 4:53 am
Sy Borg wrote:Just as well, being an inveterate thought experimenter, I would have guessed that the central part of the black hole is completely "full" - at 100% possible intensity, with stuff constantly smashing into it at around the speed of light. Thus, any extra mass attracted by the BH would not settle in the centre (I cannot bring myself to say "singularity", which is an unrealistic concept) so any extra mass just increases the BH's radius.
Yes, I can imagine that. It's kind of how you'd imagine things to happen if black holes continued to behave more or less as they were when they were just regular stars, but with a surface escape velocity greater than light speed. I guess we can kind of visualize it, in a hellish sort of way.

But I think the environment inside the event horizon of a black hole predicted by General Relativity is so utterly alien that it's very difficult to imagine experiencing in any direct way (as opposed to "experiencing" it indirectly via the theory). As I understand it, the event horizon (defined in a particular class of black holes by the Schwarzschild radius) is the notional sphere on the surface of which the escape velocity is the speed of light. Presumably that wouldn't generally coincide with the physical surface of the object which became the black hole, if that object has continuned to contract below that surface. But I don't know whether, once that has happened, that underlying object must always contract to a singularity. (I see why you can't bring yourself to say "singularity". It seems, by its nature, to be an abstract, mathematical concept does't it.). I presume it depends what forces are left that are man enough to fight against gravity. In normal stars and planets that would be electrostatic repulsion (i.e. the EM force). But when gravity overcomes that there are more exotic repulsive forces, such as neutron degeneracy pressure (the force which keeps neutron stars "inflated").

Imagining being inside the event horizon, perhaps in orbit around the singularity, or whatever is in there, is extremely weird. As I said, as I understand it, according to the GR model, the curvature of spacetime is such that at any given distance from the centre of the BH, distances further away from that centre are not just further away in space; they're in the past. So all possible futures are closer to the centre. So, presumably, simply by existing you get closer to the centre. If it was somehow possible to be alive in that environment it's impossible to intuitively imagine what it would feel like.
No argument there - if you are in a black hole then all possible futures of your spaghettified stream of atoms will most certainly lie closer to the centre! :)

While we can't say quite what it would be like to be capable of surviving in a black hole, I suspect it would be so overwhelmingly and disorientingly psychedelic that one would wish not to survive. Everything would be distorting wildly as if in a hall of mirrors, except it wouldn't just be visual, but physical.

Then again, we all live our lives at the bottom of a gravity well, with feet usually ageing slower than heads, that is, feet live very, very slightly in the past in relation to the head. Google says that, over the usual lifespan, the difference will be around 90 billionths of a second. That's about as much

Yes, I can't abide singularities. It would make more sense if a BH's centre turned out to be a quark-gluon or Planck point. Still, reality is weird and there's still much to be explained, so I probably should be more broad-minded about it.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote: October 1st, 2021, 5:05 am
Sy Borg wrote:Cool simulations BTW. As science probes questions that cannot be accessed physically, simulations will be ever more important.
Thanks. The simulation in that site of two gravitating objects colliding is a sample of a few that I did. I intended that site to contain various things that I regard as being on the border between art, science and software, but I haven't got around to putting much on it. The simulation involved just plotting the paths of a few hundred objects as they are each attracted to each other by Newtonian gravity and then, when they get to within a defined distance of each other, adding a repulsive force to keep them apart. Other people have done some more realistic 3D ones, with much larger numbers of particles. But the number of calculations involved means that these kinds of things take a long time to render on a desktop computer. I think the one on the site took a couple of hours.
There's a colliding galaxy simulation that gets trotted out regularly in any documentary about galaxies.

Really, just about any aspect of science/nature is art - as with paintings, all that's needed is to be at the optimal distance.

A bit off topic but whattheheck. TGIF.
NickGaspar
Favorite Philosopher: Many

Post by NickGaspar »

Sy Borg wrote: September 28th, 2021, 4:47 pm Some factoids:

1. The arrow of time is not absolute. Gravity impacts on its rate of passing and, at quantum scales, time can be reversed.

2. Time only passes subjectively if we are conscious; unconsciousness is subjective timelessness.

3. We don't know what goes on in the centre of black holes. Theoretically, you would see the entire universe's history immediately come and go in a flash (which begs the question about before and after the flash, of it before or after is possible).

4. It's said that the arrow of time stems from entropy (which is argued), which in turn stems from dark energy (also argued).

Hopefully someone else will know what to do with them because I don't :) Time remains as mysterious to me as ever.
Gravity impacts processes...not time. Time is just a concept we use to quantify temporal properties of evolving processes.
Time doesn't passes.....the processes of things (we as a biological process, a day on earth) have a standard pace independent of the observer.

-"4. It's said that the arrow of time stems from entropy (which is argued), which in turn stems from dark energy (also argued). ''
-The "arrow of time" is just a symbol that shows to the direction all processes unfold...entropy is just an observer relative term we use to describe the inevitable stage of a process to reach equilibrium.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

NickGaspar wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 5:17 pm

1. The arrow of time is not absolute. Gravity impacts on its rate of passing and, at quantum scales, time can be reversed.

2. Time only passes subjectively if we are conscious; unconsciousness is subjective timelessness.

3. We don't know what goes on in the centre of black holes. Theoretically, you would see the entire universe's history immediately come and go in a flash (which begs the question about before and after the flash, of it before or after is possible).

4. It's said that the arrow of time stems from entropy (which is argued), which in turn stems from dark energy (also argued).

Hopefully someone else will know what to do with them because I don't :) Time remains as mysterious to me as ever.
Gravity impacts processes...not time. Time is just a concept we use to quantify temporal properties of evolving processes.
Time doesn't passes.....the processes of things (we as a biological process, a day on earth) have a standard pace independent of the observer.

-"4. It's said that the arrow of time stems from entropy (which is argued), which in turn stems from dark energy (also argued). ''
-The "arrow of time" is just a symbol that shows to the direction all processes unfold...entropy is just an observer relative term we use to describe the inevitable stage of a process to reach equilibrium.
Fair enough response. Your thoughts on the relationship between gravity and time?
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Sy Borg wrote: April 4th, 2022, 6:09 am

Fair enough response. Your thoughts on the relationship between gravity and time?
The relationship between gravity and time is more of an observer dependent narrative. We observe that Gravity affects the "pace/duration" of physical/material processes. Those two temporal qualities are constant on earth, but when we observe them away from the surface of the earth, they change. We are able to observe that through "Time". "Time" is the concept and scale we use to quantify those processes.
i.e.A human biology has specific rhythms on earth. By studying Astronauts we observe that their biological rhythms are slower when in space.
So Time as a scale or a concept doesn't really change, but it help us detect changes caused by gravity on the pace of natural processes.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

NickGaspar wrote: April 4th, 2022, 6:41 am

The relationship between gravity and time is more of an observer dependent narrative. We observe that Gravity affects the "pace/duration" of physical/material processes. Those two temporal qualities are constant on earth, but when we observe them away from the surface of the earth, they change. We are able to observe that through "Time". "Time" is the concept and scale we use to quantify those processes.
i.e.A human biology has specific rhythms on earth. By studying Astronauts we observe that their biological rhythms are slower when in space.
So Time as a scale or a concept doesn't really change, but it help us detect changes caused by gravity on the pace of natural processes.
Thanks, that makes sense.

Time to us humans in a practical sense is based on rhythm, the Earth's and Moon's respective orbits and the Earth's rotation. I thus always thought it was illogical for scientists to claim time didn't exist before the big bang. I would think, rather, that time simply could not be measured. Things still would have happened back then, presumably the winking in and out of existence of virtual particles, just nothing that could be timed.

I suppose the claim that time didn't exist back then can be seen as an admission that time is only a construct.
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Sy Borg wrote: April 4th, 2022, 7:16 am

Time to us humans in a practical sense is based on rhythm, the Earth's and Moon's respective orbits and the Earth's rotation. I thus always thought it was illogical for scientists to claim time didn't exist before the big bang. I would think, rather, that time simply could not be measured. Things still would have happened back then, presumably the winking in and out of existence of virtual particles, just nothing that could be timed.

I suppose the claim that time didn't exist back then can be seen as an admission that time is only a construct.
Well scientists use these terms pretty differently from their colloquial usages. Since all processes in the universe are contingent to the temporal qualities of the main process we call universe, I can see what they are attempting to explain and I can see how wrong it can sound for our "ears"!
Its a fact that we can not talk about anything before or after our Universe so any assumption beyond that point would be irrational.

The relative new concept of Cosmos try to "correct" this limited view, by allowing other processes outside and preceding our Universe to "exist".(like virtual particles, extra dimension, multiverse etc)
After all big bang cosmology says NOTHING about what existed before the BB or what caused this cataclysmic event .... it has zero conflicts with any of those ideas.
But I think we are in agreement.
Time is a concept based on a real phenomenon. Processes do not happen all at once and in a steady rhythm(to use your term) and we can use a scale to quantify, compare and find discrepancies between processes under different conditions(i.e. affected by gravity etc).
The rhythm of expansion of this Universe provides us info for the age of this process and its "birth" the "oldest" thing that we can observe and quatify.
Time might be more than a construct, but it is observer dependent.
Defining time based on the actual phenomenon that forced us to come up with this concept in the first place is the best way to understand why time shouldn't be limited by the temporal properties of our Universe.
We have indications(not even good evidence though) to believe that cosmic events/processes thus "time" didn't start and won't end with the process of our Universe.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Neri wrote: August 6th, 2019, 9:07 pm
I think you alluded to this already, but this is my thinking on Time: There is no actual Time Phenomenon that exists apart from the relationships between Physical Objects and Processes. Without Physical Objects and Processes there is no Phenomenon of Time. If we can say there was nothing (no Physical Things) before the Big Bang then we can say that there was no Phenomenon of Time before the Big Bang. There was no Infinite past and not even a 1 year, or 1 day, or 1 second before the Big Bang. Before the Big Bang there was no Matter, Energy, or Space, and therefore no Time. This is because Time is merely the relationship between and within Matter, Energy, and Space.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Nick Gaspar wrote:
Time is a concept based on a real phenomenon.
phenomenon
/fəˈnɒmɪnən/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a fact or situation that is observed to exist or happen, especially one whose cause or explanation is in question.
"glaciers are interesting natural phenomena"
Similar:
occurrence
event
happening
fact
situation
circumstance
experience
case
incident
episode
sight
appearance
thing
a remarkable person or thing.
"the band was a pop phenomenon just for their sales figures alone"
It's obviously definition number 1. that this is about.

No phenomenon is real in the sense that it's independent of being experienced. Some would claim phenonema are real whether or not they are experienced. The question is not physical but metaphysical. As metaphysical, the question will not be amenable to empirical investigations but will be embedded in some large theory of existence.
(NG)

If so then time is dual aspect and may be understood both ways depending on the Dasein, or depending on a consensus so a conversation can take place.
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Belindi wrote: April 4th, 2022, 1:49 pm Nick Gaspar wrote:
phenomenon
/fəˈnɒmɪnən/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a fact or situation that is observed to exist or happen, especially one whose cause or explanation is in question.
Similar:
occurrence
event
happening
fact
situation
circumstance
experience
case
incident
episode
sight
appearance
thing

No phenomenon is real in the sense that it's independent of being experienced. Some would claim phenonema are real whether or not they are experienced. The question is not physical but metaphysical. As metaphysical, the question will not be amenable to empirical investigations but will be embedded in some large theory of existence.
(NG)

If so then time is dual aspect and may be understood both ways depending on the Dasein, or depending on a consensus so a conversation can take place.

-"No phenomenon is real in the sense that it's independent of being experienced."
-Pls read again the first definition. (a fact or situation that is observed to exist or happen...) A fact are objective and independent of an observer. An observer only experiences and identifies a fact as specific phenomenon.

-" Some would claim phenonema are real whether or not they are experienced. "
-Only those who understand Forensic Reasoning.

-" The question is not physical but metaphysical. "
-Those are not mutually exclusive terms. A metaphysical question can either address a physical or a non physical subject. The problem rises when a question addresses the supernatural.

-"As metaphysical, the question will not be amenable to empirical investigations but will be embedded in some large theory of existence."
-I think you use a definition of metaphysical that isn't used in Philosophy. Metaphysical in philosophy doesn't mean "non physical". It means beyond our current knowledge.
So if a metaphysical question is not amenable to empirical investigation, then the problem lies in our question.

-"If so then time is dual aspect and may be understood both ways depending on the Dasein, or depending on a consensus so a conversation can take place."
-Time is a simple concept based on an observable fact of "Processes not happening all at once and in different rhythms". The process has properties (duration, pace etc) that we can quantify by a simple scale (time). There is nothing supernatural or dualistic or magical in the concept of time.
When I say its more than a concept I point out the facts that render the concept useful and meaningful for its quantification.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

NickGaspar wrote: April 4th, 2022, 4:51 pm
phenomenon
/fəˈnɒmɪnən/
Learn to pronounce
noun
Similar:
occurrence
event
happening
fact
situation
circumstance
experience
case
incident
episode
sight
appearance
thing

(NG)

-"No phenomenon is real in the sense that it's independent of being experienced."
-Pls read again the first definition. (a fact or situation that is observed to exist or happen...) A fact are objective and independent of an observer. An observer only experiences and identifies a fact as specific phenomenon.

-Those are not mutually exclusive terms. A metaphysical question can either address a physical or a non physical subject. The problem rises when a question addresses the supernatural.

-"As metaphysical, the question will not be amenable to empirical investigations but will be embedded in some large theory of existence."
-I think you use a definition of metaphysical that isn't used in Philosophy. Metaphysical in philosophy doesn't mean "non physical". It means beyond our current knowledge.
So if a metaphysical question is not amenable to empirical investigation, then the problem lies in our question.

-"If so then time is dual aspect and may be understood both ways depending on the Dasein, or depending on a consensus so a conversation can take place."
-Time is a simple concept based on an observable fact of "Processes not happening all at once and in different rhythms". The process has properties (duration, pace etc) that we can quantify by a simple scale (time). There is nothing supernatural or dualistic or magical in the concept of time.
When I say its more than a concept I point out the facts that render the concept useful and meaningful for its quantification.
Observation doesn't imply observer. Observations attributed to Nick Gaspar or to Belinda do not imply Nick Gaspar or Belinda exist other than as collections of observations.
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Belindi wrote: April 6th, 2022, 5:33 am
NickGaspar wrote: April 4th, 2022, 4:51 pm
phenomenon
/fəˈnɒmɪnən/
Learn to pronounce
noun
Similar:
occurrence
event
happening
fact
situation
circumstance
experience
case
incident
episode
sight
appearance
thing

(NG)

Observation doesn't imply observer. Observations attributed to Nick Gaspar or to Belinda do not imply Nick Gaspar or Belinda exist other than as collections of observations.
Oh! So we are already in the woo territory where definitions and facts do not play a role in how we confirm or verify claims. How convenient!
Existence is necessary for observations to be made. Both the observer and what it observes need to exist.
If you want to play tennis without the net then you are not in the correct forum. They are theological and new age forums that you can talk about your non existence while eating a sandwich...in order to provide fuel to your metabolism...for no reason at all (according to you).
I am sure if you identify the thief taking your car, you won't repeat the same ideas in the court of law....
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

NickGaspar wrote: April 4th, 2022, 7:56 am

Well scientists use these terms pretty differently from their colloquial usages. Since all processes in the universe are contingent to the temporal qualities of the main process we call universe, I can see what they are attempting to explain and I can see how wrong it can sound for our "ears"!
Its a fact that we can not talk about anything before or after our Universe so any assumption beyond that point would be irrational.

The relative new concept of Cosmos try to "correct" this limited view, by allowing other processes outside and preceding our Universe to "exist".(like virtual particles, extra dimension, multiverse etc)
After all big bang cosmology says NOTHING about what existed before the BB or what caused this cataclysmic event .... it has zero conflicts with any of those ideas.
Time is a concept based on a real phenomenon. Processes do not happen all at once and in a steady rhythm(to use your term) and we can use a scale to quantify, compare and find discrepancies between processes under different conditions(i.e. affected by gravity etc).
The rhythm of expansion of this Universe provides us info for the age of this process and its "birth" the "oldest" thing that we can observe and quantify.
Defining time based on the actual phenomenon that forced us to come up with this concept in the first place is the best way to understand why time shouldn't be limited by the temporal properties of our Universe.
We have indications(not even good evidence though) to believe that cosmic events/processes thus "time" didn't start and won't end with the process of our Universe.
Yes, it seems we agree on this. I see nothing to add or "correct" in the above. My gut feeling is that there are some "unknown unknowns" regarding time because scientific orthodoxy on the subject seems so logical and reasonable, but is rather unsatisfying.
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Sy Borg wrote: April 6th, 2022, 4:02 pm

The rhythm of expansion of this Universe provides us info for the age of this process and its "birth" the "oldest" thing that we can observe and quantify.
Yes, it seems we agree on this. I see nothing to add or "correct" in the above. My gut feeling is that there are some "unknown unknowns" regarding time because scientific orthodoxy on the subject seems so logical and reasonable, but is rather unsatisfying.
Rumsfeld's unknownism haha. Sure I can see that.
There are also unknown knows, things we already know but we either straight up don't realize it or we question them so much on whether they are our final answers that makes us believe that there are uknown unknowns.
This is the whole issue in Proof, verification and falsification methods of evaluation. We can never be sure if we the answer we have is the final one so we can only attempt to falsify it.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

NickGaspar wrote: April 7th, 2022, 6:36 am
Sy Borg wrote: April 6th, 2022, 4:02 pm

Rumsfeld's unknownism haha. Sure I can see that.
There are also unknown knows, things we already know but we either straight up don't realize it or we question them so much on whether they are our final answers that makes us believe that there are unknown unknowns.
This is the whole issue in Proof, verification and falsification methods of evaluation. We can never be sure if we the answer we have is the final one so we can only attempt to falsify it.
We might agree to disagree there. Given that, in historical terms, science has barely emerged from its infancy, I think it likely that there are significant unknowns regarding time that our brains may not even be equipped to comprehend.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream