The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Bravery requiring thought

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Kane Jiang

Bravery requiring thought

Post by Kane Jiang » August 8th, 2019, 6:40 am

If emotions are evoked by the brain (I don't believe this, I am just trying to see from the point of view of most of psychology), then where does that leave bravery?

Bravery isn't an emotion, supposedly (I DO believe this) yet bravery in reality doesn't require much thought. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be brave. Someone might argue with you that bravery requires a [mental] choice, but then that leaves bravery requiring a choice AND action and/or willpower. How can bravery be composed of two different things, when all throughout history bravery was referred to as ONE thing, perhaps one feeling or trait.

I believe bravery is either a feeling (and feelings are more general than emotions) or trait and while sometimes it can require a mental choice, sometimes instinct can make that choice for you.

Also, I thought bravery not being an emotion was unanimously agreed upon? At least by people in the medieval era (medieval Europe and even China). Sigh, if we have regressed from those times.

If science doesn't explain bravery not being an emotion, then that means something else made us know it :D

dawwg

Re: Bravery requiring thought

Post by dawwg » August 11th, 2019, 11:17 am

In the context of sacrificing yourself or your loved ones. I think bravery can stem from both emotion and a mental decision.

Consul

Post by Consul » August 11th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Kane Jiang wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 6:40 am
I believe bravery is either a feeling (and feelings are more general than emotions) or trait and while sometimes it can require a mental choice, sometimes instinct can make that choice for you.
Bravery isn't a feeling but a character trait, and as such it is a behavioral disposition (not to shy away from dangerous situations).
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars

Pantagruel
Favorite Philosopher: Henri Bergson

Post by Pantagruel » August 12th, 2019, 8:39 am

I think bravery could be described more objectively as risk-tolerance relative to outcome....

h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s » August 12th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Kane Jiang wrote:
If emotions are evoked by the brain (I don't believe this, I am just trying to see from the point of view of most of psychology), then where does that leave bravery?

Bravery isn't an emotion, supposedly (I DO believe this) yet bravery in reality doesn't require much thought. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be brave. Someone might argue with you that bravery requires a [mental] choice, but then that leaves bravery requiring a choice AND action and/or willpower. How can bravery be composed of two different things, when all throughout history bravery was referred to as ONE thing, perhaps one feeling or trait.

Also, I thought bravery not being an emotion was unanimously agreed upon? At least by people in the medieval era (medieval Europe and even China). Sigh, if we have regressed from those times.

If science doesn't explain bravery not being an emotion, then that means something else made us know it :D
Bravery is a personality trait. Some people have it. Others do not.

Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow » August 18th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Kane Jiang

The term deserves a good analysis, doesn't it?

First, when one is NOT brave, there are two sides to the matter: it may be that circumstances are so repugnant that they overwhelm one's confidence to defeat them. Of course, at this point, we could say that it is exactly at this moment that bravery either shows up or doesn't. But then, if it doesn't show up in some and does in others, then why? Bravery at this point becomes a rather useless term, because it doesn't invite closer examination. When we go deeper, we find the conflict, the anxiety, the values a person has and the weight given them; we find the weakness there in its thwarting ability as it takes control. issuing orders for flight rather than fight. In THIS world, what may appear as a lack of bravery overtly, in behavior, belies the real drama beneath where one is, say, endowed with sensitivity others are not and the effort to overcome is much more profound. Here, I would contend is where the true accounting of bravery lies: It must be measured by the actuality that lies beneath, where, in the spirit of Virginia Woolf, the real human drama unfolds.
Second.......where does this go? Oh, she is so brave! IS she?? Is it so brave to be endowed with an inner world that is not confounded by anxiety, sensitivity, the nuances of emotional frailties, and so on? The brave ones--I admire brave acts, but I reserve judgment on people doing them.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » August 19th, 2019, 2:03 am

Pantagruel wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 8:39 am
I think bravery could be described more objectively as risk-tolerance relative to outcome....
This makes a lot more sense than the OP.
"As usual... it depends."

Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 » August 19th, 2019, 3:05 am

Kane Jiang wrote:
If emotions are evoked by the brain (I don't believe this....
Then where/how do you believe they are evoked.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.