Is there likely to be an afterlife?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Is there likely to be an afterlife?

Post by Sy Borg »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 17th, 2020, 4:59 pm
Greta wrote: February 17th, 2020, 4:56 pm
Alas, such labels are nonsensical because each presumes to know what they don't.

We do not know yet if everything is scientifically interrogable. Researchers tend to suspect not because of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, physical constraints (eg. how large an atom smasher one can build) and the fact that the universe appears to be a closed system. However, we are obviously far from coming up against limits of possible knowledge.

However, it is perfectly possible that we do not notice certain perspective effects of reality, just as a microbe lacks the capacity to comprehend many aspects of its existence (darn good at finding food and avoiding toxins, though). It is still possible that any attempt to understand the absolutes of reality beyond relativity are hopeless. But we don't know that one way or another either.
Nothing about realism is suggesting that anyone is claiming to know "everything there is to know" about the real (extramental) world, or to know every fact of the real world. It's just saying that we propositionally and/or by-acquaintance know the real world. You could know just one fact and that would qualify.
Let's try it. You know one fact. Some birds have red plumage and some birds have blue plumage. Therefore, we can logically assume that the difference is purely a matter of pigmentation, yes? However, birds cannot produce a blue pigment and the colour is due to reflections from a particular arrangement of proteins in the feathers.

So, sure, we can attend the real world, but we cannot know how deeply the dynamic layers that create this reality go, or the extent to which they overlap and interact. All we can do is explore and see how far we can go. You will still run into the limits defined by Heisenberg and Gödel.

With this particular topic, there are a different angles. One question is how much subjective life is left in the objective three to six minutes of brain oxygen. Some might think this doesn't matter because it doesn't affect the real world. I would argue that, when your real world consists only of your ruined body getting cold on a slab, one's subjective existence is everything. If there is significant compression of thought processes leading to significant progressive time dilation, one might subjectively experience something akin to an eternal afterlife.

The objectively larger issue is that no one knows why qualia exists, why animals experience their lives. Highly complex and flexible behaviours are possible without any qualia at all (check out robotics), yet it's clear that even simple animals like insects experience their lives. The range of insect behaviours can readily be replicated with robotics without the entity feeling any sense of being. Ditto mice and other small mammals. They too very obviously experience their lives.

So we don't know whether qualia is an emergent property of matter in certain configurations, or if qualia is a basic property of matter that is amplified (exponentially) and then shaped by nervous systems. For many years, this question was not even permitted in much the same way as one was not allowed to ask what came before the big bang.

Consider the notion of logical positivists like Dan Dennett that subjective existence doesn't matter, that it's an irrelevance, just an accidental effect that so happens to emerge in certain configurations of matter. It is almost as childishly naive as the Sky Daddy and his coterie of angels. In terms of living a life, dismissing as irrelevant the things that are hardest to understand, makes sense. Black box it and move on. In terms of philosophy, it's a cop out.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Greta wrote: February 17th, 2020, 7:59 pm So, sure, we can attend the real world
That's the sole difference. Whether we believe we can or not. Idealists say we can not. Epistemological idealists say we can not in knowledge. Ontological idealists say there isn't even a real world to attend (to).
The objectively larger issue is that no one knows why qualia exists, why animals experience their lives.
For that, it was simply evolutionarily selected, and it evolutionarily developed in conjunction with us being a sort of animal that needed a lot of assistance in order to survive to reproduction age. That's relatively unusual. Most animals can survive on their own much quicker, and have far more robust instinctual skills for survival.
yet it's clear that even simple animals like insects experience their lives.
I don't think it's very clear that insects have conscious mental phenomena.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 17th, 2020, 8:17 pm
Greta wrote: February 17th, 2020, 7:59 pm So, sure, we can attend the real world
That's the sole difference. Whether we believe we can or not. Idealists say we can not. Epistemological idealists say we can not in knowledge. Ontological idealists say there isn't even a real world to attend (to).
The question is whether we are attending the real world as such or only relativistic perspective effects.
Terrapin Station wrote: February 17th, 2020, 8:17 pm
The objectively larger issue is that no one knows why qualia exists, why animals experience their lives.
For that, it was simply evolutionarily selected, and it evolutionarily developed in conjunction with us being a sort of animal that needed a lot of assistance in order to survive to reproduction age. That's relatively unusual. Most animals can survive on their own much quicker, and have far more robust instinctual skills for survival.
I wasn't speaking about humans. How about a frog, with its simple lifestyle? You cannot deny it has qualia, that it experiences its life.

It should be easy enough in the future to replicate a frog's functions with technology (if not already), but would it have qualia? Would the machine experience life something like a fog does? We already have machines operating with far greater complexity than any frog, but we don't expect them to be conscious. So it's not just about complexity.

Next one might figure that it's complexity of a particular kind of system (a living one) that brings about conscious experience. But to what purpose? A frog could conceivably function just fine without qualia, but we don't doubt that they experience their lives.

It was not so long ago that the most credible scientific view was that only humans experience their lives, and all other animals were just biological robots. Since that time, with more knowledge, the bar has lowered and lowered. Insects, too, have been found to almost certainly experience their lives. Does experiencing a life help one to locate someone who has made ten hours straight, turn around, let them hump you, hop away and settle down ambush predation again?

It's quite conceivable that AI will achieve this level of complexity, and that will be the acid test for logical positivist materialists. Simply achieving human behavioural complexity should, if you are right, result in beings at least as sentient as we are.

Unlike most people here (and elsewhere, so it seems), I don't much care one way or the other about the answer. I'm just curious. If consciousness is fundamental, then that is incredibly interesting. If consciousness can be created in AI, then that is also incredibly interesting. Win win.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta wrote:...It was not so long ago that the most credible scientific view was that only humans experience their lives, and all other animals were just biological robots. Since that time, with more knowledge, the bar has lowered and lowered. Insects, too, have been found to almost certainly experience their lives...
I think there is always a problem of arbitrariness whenever we decide to neatly divide the world into two classes. But we can't help ourselves from doing it. We just love binary divisions. In this case the division is between "experiences" and "doesn't experience", but it's often between such things as "conscious" and "non conscious", or "living" and "not living" or "human" and "non human".
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 17th, 2020, 11:43 am
Belindi wrote: February 17th, 2020, 11:36 am It's not that idealists think the world does not exist but that its existence depends upon minds.
It's that if they're ontological idealists. It's not that if they're epistemological idealists.

If they think that the extramental world exists, and we can know that it exists (either propositionally or by acquaintance or both), but that it's somehow causally-"bloomed" by minds (so that minds exist first as whatevers, then they causally produce an extramental world, which we can know propositionally and/or by acquaintance) then they'd actually be realists with a very unusual universal phylogeny.
But idealism is a theory of existence, not a theory of how we might know anything.

Certainly we know, all of us, the external world exists. The philosophical idealist(sometimes called immaterialist in America) claims the external world is external because it depends upon minds for its existence. That it depends upon minds for its existence does not mean the external world does not exist.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Steve3007 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 5:13 am
Greta wrote:...It was not so long ago that the most credible scientific view was that only humans experience their lives, and all other animals were just biological robots. Since that time, with more knowledge, the bar has lowered and lowered. Insects, too, have been found to almost certainly experience their lives...
I think there is always a problem of arbitrariness whenever we decide to neatly divide the world into two classes. But we can't help ourselves from doing it. We just love binary divisions. In this case the division is between "experiences" and "doesn't experience", but it's often between such things as "conscious" and "non conscious", or "living" and "not living" or "human" and "non human".
Might the problem of arbitrariness affect what we call "damaged" minds and "not damaged" minds? In the context of 'altered' mental states such as hallucinations, peak experiences, NDEs, liminal experiences, premenstrual tensions, bipolar 'disorder', or autism all or any of those might have their uses within the frame of evolutionary changes by natural selection.

My personal criterion for a disorder and that of many other medically trained people is :a clinical disorder is that which causes a lot of pain/discomfort and or death. So according to that criterion recreational drug addiction would not be a disorder but for dramatically - reduced choices and earlier death.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Belindi wrote:Might the problem of arbitrariness affect what we call "damaged" minds and "not damaged" minds? In the context of 'altered' mental states such as hallucinations, peak experiences, NDEs, liminal experiences, premenstrual tensions, bipolar 'disorder', or autism all or any of those might have their uses within the frame of evolutionary changes by natural selection.
Yes, in fact I was going to add the binary division on a spectrum condition like autism, but posted before adding it. It relates well to a discussion in another topic which I haven't yet got round to continuing.
My personal criterion for a disorder and that of many other medically trained people is :a clinical disorder is that which causes a lot of pain/discomfort and or death. So according to that criterion recreational drug addiction would not be a disorder but for dramatically - reduced choices and earlier death.
Fair enough. I'm not medically trained, but I presume some would disagree with that criterion? And it also, of course, leads to the question of what constitutes "a lot" of pain/comfort. Although I guess it's more clear cut with death!
Terrapin Station

Belindi wrote: February 18th, 2020, 5:40 am But idealism is a theory of existence, not a theory of how we might know anything.
There is both ontological and epistemological idealism and realism. (As I explained above.)
Certainly we know, all of us, the external world exists.
That would make no one an idealist. But that's not the case. There are plenty of idealists around. They believe either that we can't know-by-acquaintance, that we can't propositionally know, or simply that there is NOT an external world.
The philosophical idealist(sometimes called immaterialist in America) claims the external world is external because it depends upon minds for its existence. That it depends upon minds for its existence does not mean the external world does not exist.
As I just explained, what you're describing would not be an idealist. That person would be a realist. Why? Because they both believe that there IS an external/extramental world, and they believe they can know the external/extramental world. It's just that that person would have an unusual ontology, which they'd need to explain (due to its unusualness), where they're saying something like "Minds exist first, and they causally produce the external world." (They could be saying something other than that, but they'd need to explain.)
gater

Post by gater »

Man is nothing more than a smart ape. We are just the same as any chimp, horse, dog, etc. on earth. We all have eyes, a brain and a spinal column, we run on food, water, blood, oxygen, we eat, digest, we are all animals. You are either alive, with experiences, or you are not. All of your experiences in life, happen because you have a living brain and body. Any belief that you will experience anything, without a living brain, is fantasy.
Man created the concept of an afterlife, after he developed the theory of God. God was a great way for early man to explain everything. Think of earth, 2 million years ago, man was not much more than a wild animal, there were no laws, everything was about survival. Man needed food, shelter,water, and to protect his family, those were his main concerns. Over time, he learned how to make better shelters, better weapons, to make colthes and shoes. But when Man learned to make and use fire - that was the big one. Fire was so useful, for warmth, protection, eating cooked meat. It was then, when man could relax, feeling safe and warm, with a full belly, that he began to wonder about life, and his own existence.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

gater wrote: February 18th, 2020, 11:31 pm Man created the concept of an afterlife, after he developed the theory of God. God was a great way for early man to explain everything.
This is pretty much saying that the existence of any reasonably plausible anthropological explanation for religion debunks any reason for one to see this from a both/and perspective.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Terrapin, I understand your explanation of idealism, but I hold it is incorrect. We will have to leave this now and agree to differ.
Terrapin Station

Belindi wrote: February 19th, 2020, 6:51 am Terrapin, I understand your explanation of idealism, but I hold it is incorrect. We will have to leave this now and agree to differ.
Any source for holding it to be incorrect per conventions of using the term in a philosophical context?
gater

Post by gater »

Papus79 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 11:51 pm
gater wrote: February 18th, 2020, 11:31 pm Man created the concept of an afterlife, after he developed the theory of God. God was a great way for early man to explain everything.
This is pretty much saying that the existence of any reasonably plausible anthropological explanation for religion debunks any reason for one to see this from a both/and perspective.
Umm, could you state that again in English? thanks :)
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

gater wrote: February 19th, 2020, 4:35 pm
Papus79 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 11:51 pm
Are you a non-native English speaker? If so I can try figuring out which words or metaphors might be too far off your native structure.

Otherwise if English is your primary language then no, we're probably better off just not talking.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
gater

Post by gater »

Papus79 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 6:46 pm
gater wrote: February 19th, 2020, 4:35 pm
Are you a non-native English speaker? If so I can try figuring out which words or metaphors might be too far off your native structure.

Otherwise if English is your primary language then no, we're probably better off just not talking.
lol - of course i speak english, but i have no clue what you said. Communication should be simple, your statement seems like you purposely tried make it sound confusing. If you have a statement, or questions, I'll listen or answer your question.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream