Is the question of reality the only meaningful question?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Felix

Re: Is the question of reality the only meaningful question?

Post by Felix »

Steve3007: Suppose person A and person B are standing in a room....
Yes, well, the question of consciousness and objective reality is not all that interesting when confined to human beings since we share the same basic physiology. It gets interesting when we talk about intelligent creatures whose physical make-up and habitats are much different than ours, like octopuses and dolphins.

Octopi have a much more complex nervous system than we do, and they can feel, taste and inspect objects with their limbs. And dolphins are awake 24/7, they must stay awake to control their breathing, otherwise they would drown. They "pause" each of their brain hemispheres in turn while keeping the other one active, and apparently they don't dream. And they feel as well as hear sound vibrations. So all in all, these animals impression of reality has got to be a lot different than ours. For all intents and purposes, we live in different worlds.

If we ever encounter intelligent life on other planets, we can imagine that the difference in physiology and modes of apprehension between us could be so great as to make communication between us nearly impossible. Wouldn't that be a shame? To discover intelligent life and learn that our J.S. Bach and Louis Armstrong recordings are incomprehensible to them, resembling only anomalies in electrical currents or something. :|
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

Is existence the only thing that proves something is "real?"

Couldn't really be tho, could it?
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

Unfortunately, fallacy is all there is to try and prove anything with logic. Each and every word is an individual argumentum ad populum fallacy.
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

"I drink, therefore I am" possibly a better proof of existence. It mixes physical matter with his proof of thoughts. Makes a fancy UWM shirt too.
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

Now, ask if space exists? That is a harder question. It probably also does not. Hence we call it "space."
theres virtually no known space that contains no matter at all. The existence of space can be measured by the behavior of the matter within it.
Pantagruel
Favorite Philosopher: George Herbert Mead

Post by Pantagruel »

Steve3007 wrote: November 10th, 2019, 5:29 pm
Pantagruel wrote: So are you saying that "God" arranged the stuff of the Universe in the same way that the builders of the Empire State Building arranged concrete and steel, but that, just like them, He didn't bring that stuff into existence?
Actually my thought was that the "idea of God" could just as easily be instantiated as the "idea of the Empire State building."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pantagruel wrote:Actually my thought was that the "idea of God" could just as easily be instantiated as the "idea of the Empire State building."
Ah, ok. I thought you meant it the other way around.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Steve3007 wrote: November 10th, 2019, 5:56 pm
h_k_s wrote:Quirks and quarks … .
Your posts quote my posts at the top of them, as if in reply to them. Yet they bear no apparent relation to them. Very odd.
Let me review this issue of yours then … .
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Steve3007 wrote: November 6th, 2019, 8:28 am
h_k_s wrote:Time is like mathematics: it only exists in the minds of men (mankind). Outside of the human mind, time like math does not exist.
This is an interesting proposition that I would like to "unpack" a little.

Do you believe that clocks exist in some sense that time doesn't? If a whole load of different people experience a whole load of slightly different, but in some ways similar, sensations and, after a bit of a chat, all of those people agree to label those sensations as "seeing a clock", does that demonstrate that the clock exists? If only one of the people experiences this sensation of seeing a clock and the others don't, what then? What if half the people see it? What if all the people except one see it? Does the total number of people involved make a difference?
Actually it looks more like you Steve3007 have been replying to mine, and then I reply to you. Glad we got that part straight now at least.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

h_k_s wrote: November 7th, 2019, 1:13 am
Steve3007 wrote: November 6th, 2019, 8:28 am

This is an interesting proposition that I would like to "unpack" a little.

Do you believe that clocks exist in some sense that time doesn't? If a whole load of different people experience a whole load of slightly different, but in some ways similar, sensations and, after a bit of a chat, all of those people agree to label those sensations as "seeing a clock", does that demonstrate that the clock exists? If only one of the people experiences this sensation of seeing a clock and the others don't, what then? What if half the people see it? What if all the people except one see it? Does the total number of people involved make a difference?
Start by asking yourself how did humans get the notion of "time"? What is a "second"?

You will eventually conclude it comes from the heartbeat. Sixty heartbeats is approximately 1 minute.

And sixty of these minutes are approximately also one 1 hour.

And by coincidence, 24 of these hours is approximately one day.

And 365 1/4 of these days approximates the Earth's revolution around our Sun.

But as for time actually existing, it does not and cannot. It is merely an imagined notion of the human mind.

Same as math. It does not exist either. It is merely a collection of definitions and deductions.

Now, ask if space exists? That is a harder question. It probably also does not. Hence we call it "space."
Here, I am trying to answer your question, Steve3007 and help you get a better understanding of the notion of time.

Clearly "time" does not exist. But you don't seem to understand that it does not exist.
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

To wit: I exist.
I've seen a lot if arguments either way. But I'll let this one go and keep my doubts for now.
You exist.
May or may not. They might just be a bot or some other delusion. Besides that, what is the real meaning that the word "you" really even means? Whatever it is it's not dependent on the scribbles use to spell "you."
My cat exists.
The problem with that is that it isn't actually a "cat."
The animals that my cat chases and eats exist.
Only up until it was tortured to death and eaten. It wasn't really an "animal" tho.
The things that the animals that my cat chases and eats exist.
The "bowl" of "food" "you" left out on the "counter" wasn't "running."
The Earth exists and provides a foundation for all living and nonliving inanimate things.
Can a 4 dimensional object really be trapped by a relatively simple mass of scribbles like "earth?"
The atmosphere exists.
I just breathed in and out but when it was going out I didn't even hear even the sound we've all chosen to call it. Could it be something else?

Water in its various forms of moisture, clouds, rain, streams, rivers, lakes, seas and oceans exists.
To maintain subjective accuracy shouldn't it be said h2o instead of water? Water is only one state of h2o, water. Water-vapor, besides having the word "water" within it, is a gas. So really not water at all etc.
And so forth.
Actually there's not much that's axiomatic following something that's innately false.

There is no way to write anything or codify anything else without it being subjective. We cannot perfectly convey anything let alone meaning. All we can do is point to it and beg that someone listens. I can't force you to understand me. I cannot speak into your mind. Even if I could, you could still disregard it as your own madness or however you so fit.

But, is there a difference between subjectivity that's meant to reflect objectivity, and, subjectivity meant to beg the legitimacy of subjectivity? Isn't it obvious? Why isn't it always?

Then why do people imagine zoology as a field of study over pseudo-scientific navel gazing? Why isn't psychology just pseudo-scientific navel gazing for biology and physiology?

Because abundantly arrogant aristocrats control those fields and they don't want to lose political power or stop navel gazing for your tax money.

Is arrogance really our first thought? Is it our first proof against all others? Why then does it carry such negative connotation?
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

Clearly "time" does not exist. But you don't seem to understand that it does not exist.
Can't it be so vast and so ubiquitous that you can't see it? Does it have to only have incaporeal existence? Can't it just like an inch be measured? Not even by observing the behavior of the matter that's within it? Do moldy French fries exist at the same time as fresh French fries? Does it depend on where you got the French fries?

Or is there really no time at all to read this? You did actually already know it was going to go when you started reading it. Did you know it better when you finished?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

h_k_s wrote:Clearly "time" does not exist. But you don't seem to understand that it does not exist.
Our conversation started when I tried to discuss this statements of yours:
Time is like mathematics: it only exists in the minds of men (mankind). Outside of the human mind, time like math does not exist.
in this post:

viewtopic.php?p=341519#p341519

I tried to explore the idea of what it means for something to exist. Your response was a lot of irrelevant comments about Stephen Hawking (I still don't know why you brought him up. Maybe because I referenced some elementary particles?). One place where you did talk about the question I was hoping to explore was this:
My answer: If an object has actual existence, and we know it, then it exists.
which, as I said, doesn't really shed any light on your view. It just says that if something exists then it exists. I already knew that! I already knew that if X then X. Now you've said this:
which also doesn't shed any light as it's just an empty assertion.

All I was trying to do in my earlier posts was explore the question of what it means for something to exist by examining concepts, such as elementary particles, that we experience only indirectly and which are arguably nothing more than mathematical models. This doesn't mean that you have to say this again:
I am not fond nor subscribe to any of Stephen Hawkings' theories or ideas. So I don't engage in arguments over them.
Nobody is going to make you talk about dead celebrity physicists that you don't like.
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

"Nobody is going to make you talk about dead celebrity physicists that you don't like."

I read "theory's" not "people". Why do you read people?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Repoman05 wrote:I read "theory's" not "people". Why do you read people?
Nothing I have been discussing has anything to do with the late Professor Stephen Hawking or any theories that he may or may not have come up with. I have not mentioned either of those two topics (except to state that I have not mentioned them).

I was simply attempting to discuss the question of what it means for something to be said to exist. One of my as-yet-unattained goals on these forums is for my words to be taken at face value and for posters who quote those words at the beginning of a post, as if replying to them, to reply to them. It's amazing how difficult it can be to persuade people to do that.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream