Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
User avatar
wise43
New Trial Member
Posts: 3
Joined: November 23rd, 2019, 6:17 am

Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by wise43 »

Cognition is not only structurally limited to sensations, but no subject can go beyond itself to convince not only that matter exists but even that there are other subjects. Solipsism thus understood seems impassable, assuming the existence of other subjects, we could also assume the existence of something beyond the experience, this is the strongest argument against Berkeley's theory, an argument from solipsism that is more consistent than Berkeley's. Such a solipsistic limitation of knowledge seems unbearable, and on this basis, since we accept the existence of subjects, we have the FULL RIGHT to accept the existence of beyond phenomenal reality.
However, one moment seems important here, although we cannot go beyond our own experiences, we can verify some facts based on other subjects, that there are, also data about reality; however, in the case of beyond phenomenal reality such verification is not possible. The existence of subjects seems to be confirmed by some verification possibilities, but the existence of beyond phenomenal reality is not confirmed by them; hence the presumption that it does not exist. The existence of other subjects can be verified and out of mind matter can not, this logical situation can lead to the rejection of the existence of matter.
When someone is thinking about the essence of things, have only a) sensory data b) names, conclusion whether the sensory data relate to something beyond the mental or not, is antinomial and is one of those questions that is not answered for reasons essential. Whether the subject goes beyond itself, not - and yet we accept the existence of other subjects, in a similar way we can accept the existence of something outside the minds. The contradition idealism-realism resembles the subject-object antinomy, and in fact the question of whether there is something beyond this or that specific subject seems to exceed the capabilities of this or that particular subject, and yet we accept the existence of other subjects.
Asking the problem whether reality exists outside of minds or not seems to exceed the possibilities of minds, because they are not able to check what is beyond their borders. A single mind can only check what remains within it and cannot access what is beyond it; it is not wise to ask minds a question that they cannot solve; why such a question - this is an example of a paradox issue, aporia from which seems there is no way out, as in the tic-tac-toe game, the same history of philosophy tends to understand that with good play on both sides (idealists and realists), gameplay MUST remain unresolved.
How to solve the paradox under consideration, is it possible to adopt a third position next to idealism and realism? Is it even possible to formulate such a position, for example in such a way that it combines the features of idealism and realism? It turns out that there is a theory that makes it possible to get out of this antinomy, and it was created in the ancient period. To solve the discussed aporia one can recall the theory of Gorgias whose main thesis is: nothing exists. So there is no mind and there is no matter.

Gregory Podgorniak, Poland (2019)
User avatar
Pantagruel
Posts: 202
Joined: July 2nd, 2019, 5:26 pm
Favorite Philosopher: George Herbert Mead

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by Pantagruel »

wise43 wrote: November 24th, 2019, 10:04 am Cognition is not only structurally limited to sensations, but no subject can go beyond itself to convince not only that matter exists but even that there are other subjects.
Gregory Podgorniak, Poland (2019)
Cognition may operate upon sensations, but how does that entail that it is limited to sensations?

The human body interacts with its environment in many different dimensions, which can all be considered part of the cognitive framework, broadly speaking. Based on these interactions, we discern regularities in the external world (whose boundary varies, depending on which system is interactive, digestive, endocrine, etc.) based upon which we regulate our behaviours. So based upon the successes and failures of our behavioural interactions with the environment we can draw conclusions about the nature of external reality which our own existence validates.
User avatar
wise43
New Trial Member
Posts: 3
Joined: November 23rd, 2019, 6:17 am

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by wise43 »

In this regard, I refer to the first pages of the Berkeley's A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Human Knowledge
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 5315
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by LuckyR »

wise43 wrote: December 19th, 2019, 5:31 am In this regard, I refer to the first pages of the Berkeley's A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Human Knowledge
Kindly summarize what you consider to be the relevant passages.
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
Hereandnow
Posts: 2645
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by Hereandnow »

wise43

Cognition is not only structurally limited to sensations, but no subject can go beyond itself to convince not only that matter exists but even that there are other subjects. Solipsism thus understood seems impassable, assuming the existence of other subjects, we could also assume the existence of something beyond the experience, this is the strongest argument against Berkeley's theory, an argument from solipsism that is more consistent than Berkeley's. Such a solipsistic limitation of knowledge seems unbearable, and on this basis, since we accept the existence of subjects, we have the FULL RIGHT to accept the existence of beyond phenomenal reality.
However, one moment seems important here, although we cannot go beyond our own experiences, we can verify some facts based on other subjects, that there are, also data about reality; however, in the case of beyond phenomenal reality such verification is not possible. The existence of subjects seems to be confirmed by some verification possibilities, but the existence of beyond phenomenal reality is not confirmed by them; hence the presumption that it does not exist. The existence of other subjects can be verified and out of mind matter can not, this logical situation can lead to the rejection of the existence of matter.
When someone is thinking about the essence of things, have only a) sensory data b) names, conclusion whether the sensory data relate to something beyond the mental or not, is antinomial and is one of those questions that is not answered for reasons essential. Whether the subject goes beyond itself, not - and yet we accept the existence of other subjects, in a similar way we can accept the existence of something outside the minds. The contradition idealism-realism resembles the subject-object antinomy, and in fact the question of whether there is something beyond this or that specific subject seems to exceed the capabilities of this or that particular subject, and yet we accept the existence of other subjects.
Asking the problem whether reality exists outside of minds or not seems to exceed the possibilities of minds, because they are not able to check what is beyond their borders. A single mind can only check what remains within it and cannot access what is beyond it; it is not wise to ask minds a question that they cannot solve; why such a question - this is an example of a paradox issue, aporia from which seems there is no way out, as in the tic-tac-toe game, the same history of philosophy tends to understand that with good play on both sides (idealists and realists), gameplay MUST remain unresolved.
How to solve the paradox under consideration, is it possible to adopt a third position next to idealism and realism? Is it even possible to formulate such a position, for example in such a way that it combines the features of idealism and realism? It turns out that there is a theory that makes it possible to get out of this antinomy, and it was created in the ancient period. To solve the discussed aporia one can recall the theory of Gorgias whose main thesis is: nothing exists. So there is no mind and there is no matter.
Not quite the way it goes. Idealism, or its contemporary name, phenomenology, does not deny that there are things that can go beyond the self. Rather, it is that the "going beyond" is contained within phenomena. Nothing changes as far as one's daily goings and comings in the everyday world. But the concepts that would separate things and give then ontological independence are taken up as phenomena, not as such independently real things. A thing is an idea, but other things still maintain their otherness, only as ideas. Another is still another as s/he always was, to me. Beyond the idea, there is only transcendence.
User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 5706
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 3:00 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine
Location: NYC Man

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by Terrapin Station »

wise43 wrote: November 24th, 2019, 10:04 am Cognition is not only structurally limited to sensations, but no subject can go beyond itself to convince not only that matter exists but even that there are other subjects.
The sensations in question are of matter, of other subjects, etc.

To conclude that those sensations of matter, other subjects and so on are actually just one's own mind, so that the sensations may just as well be some sort of illusion, you have to add theoretical constructs to the sensations, and those theoretical constructs need to be justified over simply accepting the sensations at face value.
User avatar
Hereandnow
Posts: 2645
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by Hereandnow »

Terrapin Station
To conclude that those sensations of matter, other subjects and so on are actually just one's own mind, so that the sensations may just as well be some sort of illusion, you have to add theoretical constructs to the sensations, and those theoretical constructs need to be justified over simply accepting the sensations at face value.
What theoretical constructs are apparent in the understanding that "other subjects and so on are just in one own mind" belongs to a singular all-of-a-piece reality, ignoring ontological dichotomies altogether?
User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 5706
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 3:00 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine
Location: NYC Man

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by Terrapin Station »

Hereandnow wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 11:44 pm
Terrapin Station
To conclude that those sensations of matter, other subjects and so on are actually just one's own mind, so that the sensations may just as well be some sort of illusion, you have to add theoretical constructs to the sensations, and those theoretical constructs need to be justified over simply accepting the sensations at face value.
What theoretical constructs are apparent in the understanding that "other subjects and so on are just in one own mind" belongs to a singular all-of-a-piece reality, ignoring ontological dichotomies altogether?
Again, the sensation is simply of another person, say. The sensation isn't that one has or is a mind that's just imagining other people. You have to construct those ideas to come to that conclusion.
User avatar
Hereandnow
Posts: 2645
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by Hereandnow »

Hereandnow
Again, the sensation is simply of another person, say. The sensation isn't that one has or is a mind that's just imagining other people. You have to construct those ideas to come to that conclusion.
You mean, as a person thinks about dualism, this thinking says that this empirical world is imagined, and there is a Reality beyond this that Really is Absolute Being, BUT, this dualism is itself a construct that belongs to an original unity which cannot be named, for to name this unity is to reduce it to a concept possessed within the unity.
User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 5706
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 3:00 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine
Location: NYC Man

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by Terrapin Station »

Hereandnow wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 12:33 pm
Hereandnow
Again, the sensation is simply of another person, say. The sensation isn't that one has or is a mind that's just imagining other people. You have to construct those ideas to come to that conclusion.
You mean, as a person thinks about dualism, this thinking says that this empirical world is imagined, and there is a Reality beyond this that Really is Absolute Being, BUT, this dualism is itself a construct that belongs to an original unity which cannot be named, for to name this unity is to reduce it to a concept possessed within the unity.
I'm not sure what you're saying there.

Let's go one step at a time. In the initial post of the thread, wise43 seemed to forward that there are sensations--for example, sensations of various people. I have no problem with saying that. Do you have a problem with saying that there are sensations of people?
User avatar
Hereandnow
Posts: 2645
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by Hereandnow »

Terrapin Station
I'm not sure what you're saying there.

Let's go one step at a time. In the initial post of the thread, wise43 seemed to forward that there are sensations--for example, sensations of various people. I have no problem with saying that. Do you have a problem with saying that there are sensations of people?
I have no problem saying the are sensations interpreted AS people. The sensations themselves do not announce being a person.
User avatar
username_ok
New Trial Member
Posts: 4
Joined: June 16th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by username_ok »

>
>seems to exceed the possibilities of minds
>
>
>
<Mind> - if it is a capability of Man
to percieve the movemens of Energy that flows through the daily life's environment
and which always does express itself via the events of a specific resource scarcity.
- then so
<the resource scarcity> - a thing that is assumed here as a param that affects this our's such a natural ability <to perceive> when we do have to be confronted by a certain unaccustomed (out of mind) stuff
User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 5706
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 3:00 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine
Location: NYC Man

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by Terrapin Station »

Hereandnow wrote: December 24th, 2019, 11:49 am
Terrapin Station
I'm not sure what you're saying there.

Let's go one step at a time. In the initial post of the thread, wise43 seemed to forward that there are sensations--for example, sensations of various people. I have no problem with saying that. Do you have a problem with saying that there are sensations of people?
I have no problem saying the are sensations interpreted AS people. The sensations themselves do not announce being a person.
I just saw your reply now. So what would you say the sensations are of?
User avatar
Hereandnow
Posts: 2645
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by Hereandnow »

Terrapin Station

I just saw your reply now. So what would you say the sensations are of?
As sensations, they are not of anything. Something else is required to make them OF something. This ofness would need examination.
User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 5706
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 3:00 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine
Location: NYC Man

Re: Solipsism, Berkeley, impressions, resolution of dispute idealism - realism

Post by Terrapin Station »

Hereandnow wrote: January 20th, 2020, 3:06 pm
Terrapin Station

I just saw your reply now. So what would you say the sensations are of?
As sensations, they are not of anything. Something else is required to make them OF something. This ofness would need examination.
What's the something else required?
Post Reply

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021