Perception and reality

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Perception and reality

Post by Terrapin Station »

RJG wrote: March 17th, 2020, 9:26 am Awareness is consciousness. Being aware of something is being conscious of something.
Simple awareness is different than recognition and doesn't involve memory.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:Being aware of something is being conscious of something.
Terrapin Station wrote:Simple awareness is different than recognition and doesn't involve memory.
When you are aware, do you "know" you are aware?
Terrapin Station

RJG wrote: March 17th, 2020, 11:33 am
RJG wrote:Being aware of something is being conscious of something.
Terrapin Station wrote:Simple awareness is different than recognition and doesn't involve memory.
When you are aware, do you "know" you are aware?
In a propositional knowledge sense? Or some other sense of "know"?
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

We are equipped to test one perception by confirming it with another. I see the apple. I touch the apple. I smell the apple. I bite off a piece and chew and taste the apple. The apple satisfies my appetite. And so on.

If it were not a real apple, but just a hologram, then when I tried to touch it I would discover it was not real. The same would apply to an artificial decorative fruit bowl. When I lift the apple it feels light. When I tap on it it sounds hollow.

We also have the confirmation of other people's perceptions, and we can discuss what we perceive and discover inconsistencies that may point to a perceptual error.

So, reality is something that we can objectively test via scientific objectivity: the same event described by many disinterested observers, or through a repeatable laboratory experiment.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Marvin_Edwards wrote:We are equipped to test one perception by confirming it with another. I see the apple. I touch the apple. I smell the apple. I bite off a piece and chew and taste the apple. The apple satisfies my appetite. And so on.

If it were not a real apple, but just a hologram, then when I tried to touch it I would discover it was not real. The same would apply to an artificial decorative fruit bowl. When I lift the apple it feels light. When I tap on it it sounds hollow.

We also have the confirmation of other people's perceptions, and we can discuss what we perceive and discover inconsistencies that may point to a perceptual error.

So, reality is something that we can objectively test via scientific objectivity: the same event described by many disinterested observers, or through a repeatable laboratory experiment.
Not so. We cannot test one subjective perception with another subjective perception to get objectivity (to determine 'realness'). Nor does the quantity of subjective perceptions increase the likelihood of 'realness'.

If I dream, delusion, or hallucinate touching, smelling, eating and tasting an orange, does it make the orange somehow 'real'?

And if I ask someone in my dream/delusion/hallucination to confirm that me and my orange is 'real', should I believe them? How about if I ask and get confirmation from 5 more people, does it then make it any more 'real'?

One (or more) dreams confirming another dream is real, is not a valid means of determining something is 'real'.

Since it is impossible to know if our current state of delusion is delusional or not, we therefore can't know what's real or not from our (delusional) perceptions.

To put it simply -- We can't ever get objectivity from subjectivity. -- If we want to know what's objectively real, we can't rely on our subjective perceptions. We can only rely on objective tools, such as math and logic to tell us what's really real.
Terrapin Station

RJG wrote: April 15th, 2020, 8:53 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote:We are equipped to test one perception by confirming it with another. I see the apple. I touch the apple. I smell the apple. I bite off a piece and chew and taste the apple. The apple satisfies my appetite. And so on.

Not so. We cannot test one subjective perception with another subjective perception to get objectivity (to determine 'realness'). Nor does the quantity of subjective perceptions increase the likelihood of 'realness'.

If I dream, delusion, or hallucinate touching, smelling, eating and tasting an orange, does it make the orange somehow 'real'?

And if I ask someone in my dream/delusion/hallucination to confirm that me and my orange is 'real', should I believe them? How about if I ask and get confirmation from 5 more people, does it then make it any more 'real'?

One (or more) dreams confirming another dream is real, is not a valid means of determining something is 'real'.

Since it is impossible to know if our current state of delusion is delusional or not, we therefore can't know what's real or not from our (delusional) perceptions.

To put it simply -- We can't ever get objectivity from subjectivity. -- If we want to know what's objectively real, we can't rely on our subjective perceptions. We can only rely on objective tools, such as math and logic to tell us what's really real.
Completely off-topic, but I just asked about you in the lounge. I was wondering if you worked in a toilet paper factory or something, because we haven't seen you post in a month.
Terrapin Station

At any rate, I agree that what Marvin Edwards suggested doesn't work.

But I don't agree that "it's impossible to know if our current state is a delusion or not." The thing to remember is that knowledge doesn't imply certainty. (And certainty isn't what's it's cracked up to be at any rate, so that makes it even sillier to worry about.)
RJG

Post by RJG »

Terrapin Station wrote:At any rate, I agree that what Marvin Edwards suggested doesn't work.
Agreed, -- one subjective perception cannot vouch for another.

Terrapin Station wrote:But I don't agree that "it's impossible to know if our current state is a delusion or not."
How could you possibly know? ...one subjective perception cannot vouch for another.

Terrapin Station wrote:The thing to remember is that knowledge doesn't imply certainty. (And certainty isn't what's it's cracked up to be at any rate, so that makes it even sillier to worry about.)
Certainty may not be as uncertain (or "silly") as you suspect. Certainly, we can know of some things with absolute certainty and logical certainty.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

The brain-in-a-vat and solipsism puzzles have the same solution: the reality you perceive is for all practical purposes objective reality. If you cannot know objective reality and cannot discover that you're having a dream or delusion, then that's your objective reality. Ironically, objective reality is a subjective experience. I don't think that math and logic can tell us what is real, because they must reference objective reality in order to return objectively real results.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes, absolutely. That is how we arrive at the notion that there exist things that we call objects, and how we make objective propositions about them - by proposing them to be the single cause of multiple sensations, in ourselves and/or others. Several times in various previous posts I've used the Macbeth dagger scene to illustrate the point that you are making here. Macbeth sees a dagger and, to test his theory that it is "but a dagger of the mind" he attempts to touch it. i.e. he attempts to find patterns across different sensations. Obviously that still doesn't prove (in the logical sense of that word) the objective existence of the dagger. But it does prove, in the sense of "test", its objective existence.

The proof of the pudding/apple is in the eating.
The proof of the dagger is in the touching.
Terrapin Station

RJG wrote: April 15th, 2020, 9:21 am
Terrapin Station wrote:But I don't agree that "it's impossible to know if our current state is a delusion or not."
How could you possibly know? ...one subjective perception cannot vouch for another.
By there being better reasons to believe the realism hypothesis than the antirealism hypothesis. And there are better reasons for it, on my view.

Those reasons, which we went over months ago, include qualitative phenomenal distinctions between, say, hallucinations and imaginings and other experiences and the fact that there are no good reasons to assume that some phenomena are mental at all, because there are no attendant notions of mentality with them.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Marvin_Edwards wrote:The brain-in-a-vat and solipsism puzzles have the same solution: the reality you perceive is for all practical purposes objective reality. If you cannot know objective reality and cannot discover that you're having a dream or delusion, then that's your objective reality. Ironically, objective reality is a subjective experience. I don't think that math and logic can tell us what is real, because they must reference objective reality in order to return objectively real results.
Marvin, we can know with objective certainty, that we experience something (i.e. experiencing exists!) and that we are the experiencer of the experience (i.e. the experiencer named "me" exists!). ...right?

Now the 'content' of our experiences is another matter altogether. For the 'experiencing'-of-something is much more certain than the 'something' itself.

By the way Marvin, did we have conversations a few years ago on my WordPress postings (my name was Simple Logic)? Your name is very familiar. I remember good discussions with you.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Terrapin Station wrote:Those reasons, which we went over months ago, include qualitative phenomenal distinctions between, say, hallucinations and imaginings and other experiences and the fact that there are no good reasons to assume that some phenomena are mental at all, because there are no attendant notions of mentality with them.
When one is hallucinating, one does not necessarily know he is hallucinating.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

RJG wrote: April 15th, 2020, 9:23 pm
Marvin_Edwards wrote:The brain-in-a-vat and solipsism puzzles have the same solution: the reality you perceive is for all practical purposes objective reality. If you cannot know objective reality and cannot discover that you're having a dream or delusion, then that's your objective reality. Ironically, objective reality is a subjective experience. I don't think that math and logic can tell us what is real, because they must reference objective reality in order to return objectively real results.
Marvin, we can know with objective certainty, that we experience something (i.e. experiencing exists!) and that we are the experiencer of the experience (i.e. the experiencer named "me" exists!). ...right?

Now the 'content' of our experiences is another matter altogether. For the 'experiencing'-of-something is much more certain than the 'something' itself.

By the way Marvin, did we have conversations a few years ago on my WordPress postings (my name was Simple Logic)? Your name is very familiar. I remember good discussions with you.
Yes, I have a WordPress account also.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Marvin_Edwards wrote:...I don't think that math and logic can tell us what is real, because they must reference objective reality in order to return objectively real results.
I agree. But one of the problems with conversations here is that they often get bogged down with people (myself included) simply asserting what words mean and throwing dictionary definitions at each other. The only way to avoid that, and thereby get down to discussing the actual ideas that those words are supposed to convey, is to accept that some people simply decide, for reasons of their own, to use some words in idiosyncratic ways and to then, as it were, price that into the conversation.

Example: RJG, in a long established pattern over many posts, uses the word "objective" to mean something like "logically certain" or "true by definition" or "self-contradictory to deny". i.e. he doesn't use it in a standard sense. He uses it to refer only to tautologies. He then makes various assertions as to some things that are deemed logically certain/true by definition, and which are thereby proposed to be "objective".

If you don't price that in when parsing his words there'll probably be a pointless and unresolvable argument about semantics.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream