Perception and reality

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Prof Bulani

Re: Perception and reality

Post by Prof Bulani »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 16th, 2020, 6:24 am
Prof Bulani wrote: February 16th, 2020, 4:30 am
Now if we say that all the information about the layout of an individual's environment, gathered from their perception, is stored in the mind as accessible memory, would that be different from saying that as the individual perceives their environment, they create a copy of the layout of their environment in their mind?
Ignoring that none of this happens "ideally" etc. sure.

It seems like you're thinking that I'm denying mental models wholesale. I'm not. I'm denying the claim that we're ONLY aware of mental models, particularly re perception. Direct realism versus representationalism, etc. are stances in philosophy of perception, by the way, not philosophy of memory or induction or anything like that.
Nobody ever claimed that we are ONLY aware of mental models. You are engaging in the pointless exercise of refuting points nobody has made. If you're not denying that we create mental models of our environment, what was the point of attempting to argue against it for the past few days?
"The purpose of life is to survive and replicate" - Erik von Markovik
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Prof Bulani wrote: February 16th, 2020, 8:51 am
Terrapin Station wrote: February 16th, 2020, 6:24 am

Ignoring that none of this happens "ideally" etc. sure.

It seems like you're thinking that I'm denying mental models wholesale. I'm not. I'm denying the claim that we're ONLY aware of mental models, particularly re perception. Direct realism versus representationalism, etc. are stances in philosophy of perception, by the way, not philosophy of memory or induction or anything like that.
Nobody ever claimed that we are ONLY aware of mental models. You are engaging in the pointless exercise of refuting points nobody has made. If you're not denying that we create mental models of our environment, what was the point of attempting to argue against it for the past few days?
On the first page of this thread you wrote "To address your comment directly, we are only aware of mental model we create "

The word "only" is there. It's fine if you didn't mean that we are ONLY aware of mental model(s) we create, but then just say that--just say that you didn't mean to say only.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:00 am
Prof Bulani wrote: February 16th, 2020, 8:51 am
On the first page of this thread you wrote "To address your comment directly, we are only aware of mental model we create "

The word "only" is there. It's fine if you didn't mean that we are ONLY aware of mental model(s) we create, but then just say that--just say that you didn't mean to say only.
I clarified this "only" issue possibly 10 times throughout this thread.
Terrapin Station

Prof Bulani wrote: February 16th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:00 am

I clarified this "only" issue possibly 10 times throughout this thread.
Not by saying that you didn't mean to say "only."
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

It's interesting that after days of arguing that the brain does not create a model of the environment in the mind based on received sensory information, on the basis that such a construct is untenable, you conclude that such a construct is exactly what occurs in the mind...
Terrapin Station

Prof Bulani wrote: February 16th, 2020, 5:43 pm It's interesting that after days of arguing that the brain does not create a model of the environment in the mind based on received sensory information, on the basis that such a construct is untenable, you conclude that such a construct is exactly what occurs in the mind...
Again, with some added emphasis:

"It seems like you're thinking that I'm denying mental models wholesale. I'm not. I'm denying the claim that we're ONLY aware of mental models, particularly re perception. Direct realism versus representationalism, etc. are stances in philosophy of perception, by the way, not philosophy of memory or induction or anything like that."
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

So we should disregard the role of memory as a factor in our cognizance of reality because your school of thought material didn't mention memory?
Terrapin Station

Prof Bulani wrote: February 16th, 2020, 6:14 pm So we should disregard the role of memory as a factor in our cognizance of reality because your school of thought material didn't mention memory?

It's just that it's not the same thing as philosophy of perception. We can talk about a number of different things.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

You are the one that came up with the issue of representationalism vs realism, assuming, no insisting, that the thread has anything to do with that. I don't care about your prefabricated philosophical descriptions of other people's musings about the nature of reality and perception.

Just because the philosopher you've read never mentioned memory in their description of perception doesn't mean that memory has nothing to do with it. At some point you'll have to realize that as a philosopher you'll have to start thinking for yourself instead of wholesale regurgitating the works of others.

Perception requires the construction of a model of the environment that is stored in the mind. This model of the environment in the mind is what I've been referring to as the mental model. You have wasted days of this discussion arguing that we don't create a mental model, because your views on perception are limited to how it is described on some Wikipedia page.
Terrapin Station

Prof Bulani wrote: February 17th, 2020, 5:02 am You are the one that came up with the issue of representationalism vs realism, assuming, no insisting, that the thread has anything to do with that.
Yes. Because you wrote that we can only know our mental models. That's not the case on my view.

Knowing mental models is not controversial, at least on the knowledge-by-acquaintance sense, when we're talking about memory, propositional knowledge, etc.

Knowing mental models IS controversial when we're talking about perception.

Saying that we can only know mental models means that even if we're talking about perception, it's being claimed that we can only know mental models. That's controversial. (Though it is something that some people argue on the side of "we can only know mental models.")
I don't care about your prefabricated philosophical descriptions of other people's musings about the nature of reality and perception.
You're on a philosophy board, and obviously you care enough about disagreements to keep posting back and forth as you've been doing. So if you care about that, you should probably be careful about exactly what you're writing, keeping in mind the context (that it's a philosophy board), and that other users are going to assume that you know something about philosophy (otherwise, why would you be posting on a philosophy board if you're not that interested in the subject?), so they're going to assume that you're familiar with common issues in the field, including debates about philosophy of perception with respect to realism versus idealism, etc.
Just because the philosopher you've read never mentioned memory in their description of perception doesn't mean that memory has nothing to do with it. At some point you'll have to realize that as a philosopher you'll have to start thinking for yourself instead of wholesale regurgitating the works of others.
The convention in the field, and the convention in general, in the cognitive sciences, in popular usage, etc., is that perception and memory refer to two different things, not one identical thing, where those terms are synonyms. We can argue, in philosophy of perception, that memory is intricately woven with perception, but that would be different than arguing that memory is the same thing as perception.
Perception requires the construction of a model of the environment that is stored in the mind.
That's certainly one thing that people argue. Note that in arguing that, you're not saying that the model is IDENTICAL to perception. You're still talking about two different things. If we can only be aware of mental models, then you're saying that there is no perception in the traditional sense.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 17th, 2020, 9:23 am We can argue, in philosophy of perception, that memory is intricately woven with perception
I would certainly argue so. 👍 Perception is the process by which we fit data from our senses into our mental model of reality. Memory must surely play a leading role in this?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Terrapin Station

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 17th, 2020, 12:33 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 17th, 2020, 9:23 am We can argue, in philosophy of perception, that memory is intricately woven with perception
I would certainly argue so. 👍 Perception is the process by which we fit data from our senses into our mental model of reality. Memory must surely play a leading role in this?
I think it depends on the person. I often perceive things where it has nothing to do with a mental model. For one, I often perceive things where I'm not at all applying anything linguistic or conceptual to them. It seems, at least based on folks' comments, that some people are different in this regard, though. I can accept that, but it's difficult to imagine what it must be like, of course.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 17th, 2020, 12:37 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: February 17th, 2020, 12:33 pm

I think it depends on the person. I often perceive things where it has nothing to do with a mental model. For one, I often perceive things where I'm not at all applying anything linguistic or conceptual to them. It seems, at least based on folks' comments, that some people are different in this regard, though. I can accept that, but it's difficult to imagine what it must be like, of course.
If you remember the things you perceive, and your memory is created in such a way that the positions and layout of the things you perceive are stored, then you are creating a 3-d replica of your surroundings in your mind. I think the word "model" is tripping you up because all you can think of when you hear "mental model" is a model of the mind, something nobody is talking about? If I said that we create a replica of our surroundings in our minds, based on what we perceive, is there any way you would misunderstand that and still talk about models of the mind?

And by the way, regardless of what the conventions you are familiar with have dictated to you, this topic is about memory, i.e., what is IN the mind. It's pretty sad that somehow this escaped you as a central pillar of what I have been talking about, but it isn't surprising. After all, you don't read what people write, you just assume that they are saying things they aren't saying because you need things to conform to familiar conventions, otherwise you risk having to actually think for yourself and understand what people say and respond without canned replies.
Terrapin Station

Prof Bulani wrote: February 18th, 2020, 7:40 am If you remember the things you perceive, and your memory is created in such a way that the positions and layout of the things you perceive are stored, then you are creating a 3-d replica of your surroundings in your mind.
I don't know how or why you got it in your head that I'm denying mental models wholesale. I'm not. I explicitly said this at least once above, too.
I think the word "model" is tripping you up because all you can think of when you hear "mental model" is a model of the mind
No, I wasn't thinking anything like that. You said that we're only aware of mental models. We're not. Part of awareness is perception, and I'm a direct realist when it comes to perception.

Of course there are other views about perception. One of those other views has it that we're only aware of mental models in "perception" (in quotation marks in that case because the view makes it "so-called perception" rather than the usual view of what's going on during perception).
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Could you stop harping on the "you said ONLY" issue, please. It's dead. I killed it. Stop bringing it back up. The fact that you still keep beating a dead issue is further evidence that you don't actually read, you just pull a prepared response out of a hat.

If you have no problem with the idea that we create a replica of our surroundings in memory, then what is your objection to the idea that these replicas in memory are representations of objects in the real external world?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream