Perception and reality

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Perception and reality

Post by Terrapin Station »

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 12:24 pm If your position is that logic (because that is set theory expressed in its purest form) has nothing to do with philosophy, then that explains why miscommunication between us in this thread has been so frequent.
My position is that set theory has nothing to do with philosophy of perception or how our minds epistemologically or ontologically link up with the world.
Re your other post above, how, on your view, do you know you're interacting with the world, receiving any sort of information from the world, etc.?
At this point, I'll just say read what I wrote above regarding this question. Key words to look for are "objective" and "survival".
You claimed that you are interacting with the world, but you didn't justify how you'd know this.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

I answered your question about how we interact with the world on numerous occasions. I even broke it down into enumerated steps. Every time I answer this question, you misread and misrepresent my response, assume that my position is something it isn't, ignore what I actually write, and repeat the question.
"The purpose of life is to survive and replicate" - Erik von Markovik
Terrapin Station

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 1:15 pm I answered your question about how we interact with the world on numerous occasions. I even broke it down into enumerated steps. Every time I answer this question, you misread and misrepresent my response, assume that my position is something it isn't, ignore what I actually write, and repeat the question.
For example, you wrote this:

"New information is constantly being added to the contents of an individual's mind, through sensory input and internal mental processing"

"Information gathered via sensory input is knowledge that comes from experiencing and interacting with objective reality"

Those are claims that you're gaining information from sensory input from the external world.

They're not justifications for HOW YOU KNOW, on your view, that you're gaining sensory input from the external world.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

You know you are gathering information from the external world because, as a result, you are navigating the external world in such a way as to sustain your survival. If the perception of the external world in your mind in no way resembled the actual external world, you would be unable to navigate the external world, and you wouldn't be able to sustain your own survival.
Terrapin Station

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 2:36 pm You know you are gathering information from the external world because, as a result, you are navigating the external world in such a way as to sustain your survival. If the perception of the external world in your mind in no way resembled the actual external world, you would be unable to navigate the external world, and you wouldn't be able to sustain your own survival.
If you're only aware of a mental model you create you can't arrive at knowing that you're navigating the external world. What seems to be an external world and the navigation of it could be only your mental model.

"If the perception of the external world in your mind in no way resembled the actual external world, you would be unable to navigate the external world"--that's making the assumption that there's an external world to navigate in the first place, but if you're only aware of a mental model you create, you can't arrive at knowing there's an external world to navigate, that your model needs to resemble in some way.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 12th, 2020, 2:40 pm If you're only aware of a mental model you create you can't arrive at knowing that you're navigating the external world. What seems to be an external world and the navigation of it could be only your mental model.
I'm not going to repeat this again. Your sensory input and mental processes are constantly adding new information to your mental contents, thereby constantly updating your your mental model. As such, you become aware on new information.
"If the perception of the external world in your mind in no way resembled the actual external world, you would be unable to navigate the external world"--that's making the assumption that there's an external world to navigate in the first place, but if you're only aware of a mental model you create, you can't arrive at knowing there's an external world to navigate, that your model needs to resemble in some way.
I have established that there is an external objective reality. This is not an assumption, but the logical extension of the existence of self. Of course, you blankly dismissed this demonstration because your position is that logic has nothing to do with philosophy.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time understanding my model, but there's a simple solution to that. Rather than assume that my model fits into one of the cookie-cutter philosophical schools of thought that you're familiar with, try simply reading what I actually write without preconceived notions.
Terrapin Station

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 3:30 pm I'm not going to repeat this again. Your sensory input and mental processes are constantly adding new information to your mental contents, thereby constantly updating your your mental model. As such, you become aware on new information.
I'll repeat this again though. Given that you believe you can only be aware of a mental model, you can't know that you actually have sensory input rather than the illusion of the same.
I have established that there is an external objective reality. This is not an assumption, but the logical extension of the existence of self. Of course, you blankly dismissed this demonstration because your position is that logic has nothing to do with philosophy.
Again, I didn't say that. The problem is that you're appealing arbitrarily to a stipulated definition in set theory. That of course doesn't make something a logical necessity, and especially not an epistemological (or ontological) necessity.
I'm sorry you're having a hard time understanding my model,
I understand it fine. My goal is to get you to realize why it's not at all tenable as stated.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 12th, 2020, 4:15 pm
Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 3:30 pm I'm not going to repeat this again. Your sensory input and mental processes are constantly adding new information to your mental contents, thereby constantly updating your your mental model. As such, you become aware on new information.
I'll repeat this again though. Given that you believe you can only be aware of a mental model, you can't know that you actually have sensory input rather than the illusion of the same.
Again, I didn't say that. The problem is that you're appealing arbitrarily to a stipulated definition in set theory. That of course doesn't make something a logical necessity, and especially not an epistemological (or ontological) necessity.
I'm sorry you're having a hard time understanding my model,
I understand it fine. My goal is to get you to realize why it's not at all tenable as stated.
Do you have any candidates for the mysterious wizard that is creating all these illusions that you seem to want to claim is feeding your mental model?
Does this mystery force/person has a purpose in generating a complete updating mental picture?
Terrapin Station

Sculptor1 wrote: February 12th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 12th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Do you have any candidates for the mysterious wizard that is creating all these illusions that you seem to want to claim is feeding your mental model?
Does this mystery force/person has a purpose in generating a complete updating mental picture?
I'm a direct realist, so you'd need to ask Prof Bulani or someone who is emphasizing a "mental model" view.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Sculptor1 wrote: February 12th, 2020, 5:08 pm Do you have any candidates for the mysterious wizard that is creating all these illusions that you seem to want to claim is feeding your mental model?
Where are you getting an implication that anybody said anything about mysterious wizards and forces?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 12th, 2020, 5:14 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: February 12th, 2020, 5:08 pm

I'm a direct realist, so you'd need to ask Prof Bulani or someone who is emphasizing a "mental model" view.
FFS
You said this "I'll repeat this again though. Given that you believe you can only be aware of a mental model, you can't know that you actually have sensory input rather than the illusion of the same."
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Do people in this forum actually read and understand what other people write? Sculptor, you are responding to terrapin's misrepresentation of what I wrote. Terrapin has no idea what I mean by "mental model" (its simply another term for perception), and keeps harping on a single line where I said that what we are aware of is equivalent to what's in our mind, pretending to ignore the multiple times I explained how we are constantly gaining new information. He wants to believe that my position is somehow related to representationalism (which it isn't) because he is prepared to refute that position.

Then you come along talking about mysterious forces and wizards, possibly in an effort to derail the thread even further. And in doing so you are accusing terrapin of supporting a position he has been opposed to all along.

I don't know what to say. Reading what people were saying isn't difficult. Yet it seems like the preferable convention is to project easily discreditable positions onto others, despite that not being their position in the slightest.
Terrapin Station

Sculptor1 wrote: February 12th, 2020, 6:38 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 12th, 2020, 5:14 pm

FFS
You said this "I'll repeat this again though. Given that you believe you can only be aware of a mental model, you can't know that you actually have sensory input rather than the illusion of the same."
The idea being that you have no way to ground it to anything else, assuming there is anything else, IF you can only be aware of a mental model.
Terrapin Station

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 7:02 pm Do people in this forum actually read and understand what other people write? Sculptor, you are responding to terrapin's misrepresentation of what I wrote. Terrapin has no idea what I mean by "mental model" (its simply another term for perception), and keeps harping on a single line where I said that what we are aware of is equivalent to what's in our mind, pretending to ignore the multiple times I explained how we are constantly gaining new information. He wants to believe that my position is somehow related to representationalism (which it isn't) because he is prepared to refute that position.
It's really just an issue of either we're ONLY aware of our mental models, or we can be aware of other things, too--like objective things that we directly experience. It doesn't work to have it both ways.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 12th, 2020, 7:21 pm It's really just an issue of either we're ONLY aware of our mental models, or we can be aware of other things, too--like objective things that we directly experience. It doesn't work to have it both ways.
Sigh...

1. The sum of everything known by an individual at any given point in time (what they are aware of) is that individual's mental content

2. New information is constantly being added to the contents of an individual's mind, through sensory input and internal mental processing

2 a. Information gathered via sensory input is knowledge that comes from experiencing and interacting with objective reality

2 b. Information accumulated from internal mental processes includes that which connects knowledge from objective reality into a more cohesive model, sometimes filling gaps in the model that is missing from direct sensory input.

3. As new information is added to the mental content, the individual learns things other than what was in their mental content at step 1.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream