Dorothy's red slippers, and man's ability to understand.

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
RJG

Re: Dorothy's red slippers, and man's ability to understand.

Post by RJG »

Steve, you forget that Science has absolutely no say-so in many of these matters. So asking Gater (or anyone) to explain the science of it, seems quite pointless/silly.
gater

Post by gater »

Steve3007 wrote: March 17th, 2020, 5:42 am
gater wrote:Like you can't be bothered, you only seem to care about my knowledge of experiments from over 100 years ago.
As I've said, I ask you to show that you understand at least something about the things on which you have. many times, expressed opinions. On subjects that you've never expressed an opinion about, I have not asked you anything. If you consider those things to be irrelevant, why do you express opinions about them?
You asked what shape is space, and i told you. Again, it can't have a shape because the Universe is ALL area.
Einsteins general theory talks about space/time and how they are tied together - This is false, time is independant from anything that happens in the Universe. And space doesn't move, matter moves through space.
His special theory, among other things, deals with gravitys affect on time, and he predicted Time Dilation. Most don't understand time, and think its proof that he was right - Wrong. Time Dilation is the effect gravity has on devices.
Gravity is caused by the core and the allignment of all of the mass of a turning sphere. It is a magnetic, and collective force, that pulls all of its matter to the core. Gravity is created by matter and only affects matter - it has no affect on time or space.

If you ask a clear question - I can answer you, but I won't write a term paper for you.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

gater wrote:You asked what shape is space, and i told you.
No, I didn't ask you that.

viewtopic.php?p=351662#p351662
gater wrote:The Universe has no shape, it's just endless space. If it had a shape, then there would be area or space, outside of the boundary of the shape.
Steve3007 wrote:I know you think that. You've said it before. That wasn't my question. I asked you to show that you understand the sense in which the word "shape" is used in this context and which "shape" would be assigned to the endless space that you have described. Answer?
I've asked you over and over again, without answer, to show that you understand what people are saying before you reject what they are saying. By all means reject and/or challenge any ideas that you consider to be wrong. But if you decide to do that, first read what they say. By all means declare that space has no shape, but first show that you understand the sense in which "shape" is used in this context.
gater wrote:Einsteins general theory talks about space/time and how they are tied together - This is false, time is independant from anything that happens in the Universe. And space doesn't move, matter moves through space.
General Relativity does indeed contain the concept of space-time, but it doesn't dispute that matter moves through space. It's not enough to simply decree "this is false" as you are apt to do. To analyse an idea like this you have to actually show that you understand why it contains the concepts that it does. Why would anybody propose that a concept called space-time is a useful model for describing and predicting the world? Where did the idea come from? Why would anybody propose that light travels at the same speed as measured by all observers? What, precisely, do they mean by that? etc. Then, once you've understood what is being proposed, and why, propose your alternative theory and show how it is superior at describing and predicting what is observed.

As I've said before, to do this you'd have to start with Galilean Relativity. Have you heard of the concept of Galilean Relativity?
gater wrote:His special theory, among other things, deals with gravitys affect on time, and he predicted Time Dilation.
No is doesn't! The Special Theory of Relativity has nothing to do with gravity. I say again: how can you reject an idea when you don't understand the absolute lesson one basics of what it actually says?!?
gater wrote:If you ask a clear question - I can answer you, but I won't write a term paper for you.
I don't want a term paper. I just want to see that if you reject something then you do so on the basis of understanding at least the basics of what it says. If you have nothing to say about that thing, then fine, there's no need for you to learn anything about it. For example, I have nothing to say about the technical details of macro-economics. I know very little about it. So nobody challenges me to show that I understand it. But if I were to declare that some economic theory or other is nonsense, then I would expect to be challenged.

If you stick your neck out and say "I decree that this is all nonsense" then you will obviously be asked to show that you know what that thing that you think is nonsense actually says.

Can you really not see this basic piece of common sense?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

RJG wrote: March 16th, 2020, 1:43 pm Thanks Pattern-chaser for replying with your view of imagining the "Void". Whereas mine is much simpler (at least to me) and also accounts for the dimensional-less-ness of the Void:
RJG wrote:Pure "nothingness" (or the "Void") has no dimensions to it, it has no existing properties whatsoever. This "Void" or "Nothingness" is therefore infinitely smaller than a single 0D point.
In other words, and by definition, the "Void" does not exist! (...there is nothing there to exist).
And yet it seems odd to me that you would ignore the logic of not describing something that has no size as being "smaller" than something else!

And also it seems worth observing that "the Void" does exist, as a label for us to use to describe it.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: March 16th, 2020, 1:07 pm To be honest, I think your debate about these words like "void" and "space" is just meaningless wordplay. Deciding that "void" means something different from "space" or that putting "-ness" on the end of "nothing" makes it mean something different is, in my view, as irrelevant as a game of Scrabble. Fun but irrelevant. To talk of what is outside the Universe (whatever word you use for it) is self-contradictory. This is true whether the Universe is finite or infinite.
Why is it "self-contradictory" to "talk of what is outside the Universe"? I have never thought the "universe" described everything-that-there-is; perhaps I've been misunderstanding?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pattern-chaser wrote:Why is it "self-contradictory" to "talk of what is outside the Universe"? I have never thought the "universe" described everything-that-there-is; perhaps I've been misunderstanding?
I describe it as self-contradictory on the understanding that Universe means everything there is. If you don't use that word to mean that then it's not self-contradictory. In that case Universe appears to me to be an arbitrarily chosen subset of everything there is. I don't really see any obvious purpose to that definition. I don't see the point of having a word that means something like "almost everything there is, but with some stuff missed out".
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 1:07 pm I don't see the point of having a word that means something like "almost everything there is, but with some stuff missed out".
Fair enough. 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
gater

Post by gater »

Steve3007 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 7:12 am
gater wrote:You asked what shape is space, and i told you.
No, I didn't ask you that.

viewtopic.php?p=351662#p351662
gater wrote:The Universe has no shape, it's just endless space. If it had a shape, then there would be area or space, outside of the boundary of the shape.
Steve3007 wrote:I know you think that. You've said it before. That wasn't my question. I asked you to show that you understand the sense in which the word "shape" is used in this context and which "shape" would be assigned to the endless space that you have described. Answer?
I've asked you over and over again, without answer, to show that you understand what people are saying before you reject what they are saying. By all means reject and/or challenge any ideas that you consider to be wrong. But if you decide to do that, first read what they say. By all means declare that space has no shape, but first show that you understand the sense in which "shape" is used in this context.
gater wrote:Einsteins general theory talks about space/time and how they are tied together - This is false, time is independant from anything that happens in the Universe. And space doesn't move, matter moves through space.
General Relativity does indeed contain the concept of space-time, but it doesn't dispute that matter moves through space. It's not enough to simply decree "this is false" as you are apt to do. To analyse an idea like this you have to actually show that you understand why it contains the concepts that it does. Why would anybody propose that a concept called space-time is a useful model for describing and predicting the world? Where did the idea come from? Why would anybody propose that light travels at the same speed as measured by all observers? What, precisely, do they mean by that? etc. Then, once you've understood what is being proposed, and why, propose your alternative theory and show how it is superior at describing and predicting what is observed.

As I've said before, to do this you'd have to start with Galilean Relativity. Have you heard of the concept of Galilean Relativity?
gater wrote:His special theory, among other things, deals with gravitys affect on time, and he predicted Time Dilation.
No is doesn't! The Special Theory of Relativity has nothing to do with gravity. I say again: how can you reject an idea when you don't understand the absolute lesson one basics of what it actually says?!?
gater wrote:If you ask a clear question - I can answer you, but I won't write a term paper for you.
I don't want a term paper. I just want to see that if you reject something then you do so on the basis of understanding at least the basics of what it says. If you have nothing to say about that thing, then fine, there's no need for you to learn anything about it. For example, I have nothing to say about the technical details of macro-economics. I know very little about it. So nobody challenges me to show that I understand it. But if I were to declare that some economic theory or other is nonsense, then I would expect to be challenged.

If you stick your neck out and say "I decree that this is all nonsense" then you will obviously be asked to show that you know what that thing that you think is nonsense actually says.

Can you really not see this basic piece of common sense?

Steve, you dont want to know the truth. You just want to hear things that back up your ideas.
I clearly explained the Logic behind infinite space, and you don't get it, or don't want to get it.
I can tell you the truth, but i can't make you understand.
If you think im wrong, tell me how im wrong, tell me about the true nature of the Universe.
Are you able to answer that?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream