Is the Philosophical Definition of Free Will Rational?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Re: Is the Philosophical Definition of Free Will Rational?

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

LuckyR wrote: April 24th, 2020, 12:44 pm
Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 24th, 2020, 10:42 am

There's nothing wrong with reading through the SEP articles. But academic philosophy collects and catalogs everyone's opinions, without necessarily guiding us to any specific truths. It provides instead a menu of truths and opinions to choose from. And it is certainly worthwhile to consider multiple options when thinking through to your own philosophy.

But I found all three of the SEP articles to be biased against compatibilism. So I tried to shed some light on the matters of determinism, free will, and why they happen to be compatible. They are a bit long for this forums format. But I do have a nutshell version:

In a Nutshell

“Free will” is when we decide for ourselves what we will do, free of coercion or other undue influence.

“Determinism” asserts that the behavior of objects and forces in our universe provides perfectly reliable cause and effect, and thus, at least in theory, is perfectly predictable.

Because reliable cause and effect is neither coercive nor undue, it poses no threat to free will. A meaningful constraint would be a man holding a gun to our head, forcing us to do his will. But reliable causation is not such a force. It is simply how we operate as we go about being us, doing what we do, and choosing what we choose.

Because our decisions are reliably caused by our own purpose, our own reasons, and our own interests, our deliberate choosing poses no threat to determinism. Choosing is a deterministic process. And this process is authentically performed by us, according to our own purpose, reasons, and interests.

As it turns out, every choice we make for ourselves is both freely chosen and reliably caused. Thus, the concepts of free will and determinism are naturally compatible.

The illusion of conflict is created by a logic error called the “reification fallacy“. This happens when we mistakenly treat the concept of “reliable cause and effect” as if it were an external force controlling our choices, as if it were not actually us, simply being us and doing what we do.

But concepts are not “things” that cause. Only the actual objects themselves, and the forces they naturally exert upon other objects, can cause events to happen.

When empirically observed, we find that we exist in reality as physical objects, living organisms, and an intelligent species. As living organisms, we act purposefully to survive, thrive, and reproduce. As an intelligent species, we act deliberately by imagination, evaluation, and choosing. And, when we act upon our choices, we are forces of nature.

Reliable cause and effect is not an external force. It is us, and the rest of the physical universe, just doing what we do. Those who try to turn it into a boogeyman robbing us of our choices are empirically mistaken.
I agree with your concept but have problems with your wording.

If human decision making was perfectly predictable, cause and effect and determinism would be proven. However, if you think about it, our understanding of cause and effect, is by definition a retrospective process. We observe the action and go looking retrospectively for the conditions that caused the action. We apply this analysis to the next case and we are successful in predicting the outcome better than pure chance, ie we have some understanding, but nowhere near 100% accuracy. Since we never get to 100% accuracy, there is always a bit of understanding that is, for practical purposes, unknowable. Thus what separates our "understanding" of cause and effect from say, rationalization?
Right. From a practical viewpoint, human decision making can be one of the least predictable events. We each believe that our own reasoning is logical but it is subject to idiosyncratic fallacies, biases, false beliefs, etc. The rational causal mechanism can still be deterministic and theoretically predictable when we consider those fallacies, biases, and beliefs as reliable causes that are taken into account when trying to predict what someone else will choose. Some omniscient being with all of that knowledge, like God, or Laplace's Daemon, or the guy's wife could still predict his choice.

The "retrospective view" reminds me of Gazzaniga's "interpreter", that part of the brain that has to explain our behavior to ourselves and others. As long as it has good data it can do a reasonable job. But if a subject is given a post-hypnotic suggestion to take off his shoe when he hears the word "walrus", he will confabulate an explanation to rationalize his behavior.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 24th, 2020, 2:52 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 24th, 2020, 12:44 pm

I agree with your concept but have problems with your wording.

If human decision making was perfectly predictable, cause and effect and determinism would be proven. However, if you think about it, our understanding of cause and effect, is by definition a retrospective process. We observe the action and go looking retrospectively for the conditions that caused the action. We apply this analysis to the next case and we are successful in predicting the outcome better than pure chance, ie we have some understanding, but nowhere near 100% accuracy. Since we never get to 100% accuracy, there is always a bit of understanding that is, for practical purposes, unknowable. Thus what separates our "understanding" of cause and effect from say, rationalization?
Right. From a practical viewpoint, human decision making can be one of the least predictable events. We each believe that our own reasoning is logical but it is subject to idiosyncratic fallacies, biases, false beliefs, etc. The rational causal mechanism can still be deterministic and theoretically predictable when we consider those fallacies, biases, and beliefs as reliable causes that are taken into account when trying to predict what someone else will choose. Some omniscient being with all of that knowledge, like God, or Laplace's Daemon, or the guy's wife could still predict his choice.

The "retrospective view" reminds me of Gazzaniga's "interpreter", that part of the brain that has to explain our behavior to ourselves and others. As long as it has good data it can do a reasonable job. But if a subject is given a post-hypnotic suggestion to take off his shoe when he hears the word "walrus", he will confabulate an explanation to rationalize his behavior.
"Predictable" is different than "deterministic" in a freedom vs. determinism context.

If there's a 99% chance of A happening and a 1% chance of B, then in the vast majority of cases we'll successfully predict that A will happen, but that doesn't imply determinism.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: April 25th, 2020, 10:07 am
"Predictable" is different than "deterministic" in a freedom vs. determinism context.
There is no "freedom versus determinism" context. Freedom is deterministic. Without reliable cause and effect (and its corollary "causal necessity") there is no freedom to reliably cause any effect (that is, to reliably do something). If we can't do anything, then we have no freedom. All of our freedoms require a deterministic universe.

(Some other philosopher also made this point, but I can't recall which one).
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 25th, 2020, 11:01 am
Terrapin Station wrote: April 25th, 2020, 10:07 am
There is no "freedom versus determinism" context. Freedom is deterministic.
Are these two things different?

(1) From antecedent state A, only immediately consequent state B is possible.

(2) From antecedent state A, at least immediately consequent states B and C are possible, where B is not identical to C.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: April 25th, 2020, 11:34 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 25th, 2020, 11:01 am There is no "freedom versus determinism" context. Freedom is deterministic.

(2) From antecedent state A, at least immediately consequent states B and C are possible, where B is not identical to C.
They are both statements using the possibility modality. Converting to empirical modality, the first statement asserts that in all cases A will be followed by B. The second statement asserts that whenever A happens, either B will happen, or C will happen, or B and C will happen. The second statement logically implies some additional factors X and Y will happen along with A to bring about the various results (A is not the sufficient cause in at least two of those three cases).
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 25th, 2020, 12:25 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: April 25th, 2020, 11:34 am

They are both statements using the possibility modality. Converting to empirical modality, the first statement asserts that in all cases A will be followed by B. The second statement asserts that whenever A happens, either B will happen, or C will happen, or B and C will happen. The second statement logically implies some additional factors X and Y will happen along with A to bring about the various results (A is not the sufficient cause in at least two of those three cases).
Actually I should have written (2) as "From antecedent state A, at least immediately consequent states B or C are possible, where B is not identical to C." (Where that's usually taken to be an exclusive or, but I suppose we could see it as an inclusive or, too)

At any rate, so are you saying that those two things are different, or are they the same?
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: Terrapin Station wrote:
They are clearly different. In (1) B will happen if A happens.
In (2) Either B or C will happen if A happens, but we don't know which one will happen.

In case (2) if we get to choose whether B or C will happen, then at the beginning of the choosing operation "B can happen" is true and "C can happen" is also true. But only one of them will happen.
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 25th, 2020, 6:10 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Terrapin Station wrote:
They are clearly different. In (1) B will happen if A happens.
In (2) Either B or C will happen if A happens, but we don't know which one will happen.

In case (2) if we get to choose whether B or C will happen, then at the beginning of the choosing operation "B can happen" is true and "C can happen" is also true. But only one of them will happen.
Sure, so re them being clearly different, (1) is conventionally called "determinism," (2) is conventionally called "freedom" (in the context of freedom vs determinism as an ontological issue). That's what the debate is about broadly--not just in terms of free will. The debate is between people who think that for all phenomena, (1) is the case, versus people who think that for at least some phenomena, (2) is the case.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 9:49 pm
h_k_s wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 8:58 pm

Do you happen to have a source cite for "the philosophical definition of free will"?
There are two dictionary definitions of free will. Here are three dictionaries that list them both:
Free Will
Mirriam-Webster on-line:
1: voluntary choice or decision 'I do this of my own free will'
2: freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention

Short Oxford English Dictionary:
1 Spontaneous will, inclination to act without suggestion from others.
2 The power of directing one's own actions unconstrained by necessity or fate.

Wiktionary:
1. A person's natural inclination; unforced choice.
2. (philosophy) The ability to choose one's actions, or determine what reasons are acceptable motivation for actions, without predestination, fate etc.
I could have looked that up on an online dictionary myself.

That is not what I asked you.

Apparently you misunderstood my question. So I will restate it.

Do you have a source either online or in print from a philosophy website or a philosophy book that describes "the philosophical definition of free will?"

If so, what does it say, and who is the author?

If not then, thank you, I guess you are just quoting the dictionary, in which case it is NOT a PHILOSOPHICAL definition.

Be careful what you say.

Make sure the words you use for what you say are appropriate.

Thanks.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

h_k_s wrote: April 25th, 2020, 8:56 pm
Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 9:49 pm

There are two dictionary definitions of free will. Here are three dictionaries that list them both:
Free Will
Mirriam-Webster on-line:
1: voluntary choice or decision 'I do this of my own free will'
2: freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention

Short Oxford English Dictionary:
1 Spontaneous will, inclination to act without suggestion from others.
2 The power of directing one's own actions unconstrained by necessity or fate.

Wiktionary:
1. A person's natural inclination; unforced choice.
2. (philosophy) The ability to choose one's actions, or determine what reasons are acceptable motivation for actions, without predestination, fate etc.

Do you have a source either online or in print from a philosophy website or a philosophy book that describes "the philosophical definition of free will?"

If not then, thank you, I guess you are just quoting the dictionary, in which case it is NOT a PHILOSOPHICAL definition.

Be careful what you say.

Thanks.
The philosophical definition of free will is a choice we make that is free of causal necessity.

A description of free will from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy begins like this, "The term “free will” has emerged over the past two millennia as the canonical designator for a significant kind of control over one’s actions." The full article is here https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/freewill/

Enjoy.
Syamsu

Post by Syamsu »

To accept free will as physics, requires to explain objects as consisting of the laws of nature. Then as being laws unto themselves, objects exhibit freedom.

So basically you would describe an object with mathematics, and then construe objects as computing their own next state by the laws which they consist of.

Construed this way, a future of alternatives comes out of the object, which future the object anticipates. So the object does not have a model of what alternative futures may be available, it only has the actual alternative futures available. So for instance an object may have the alternative futures available of velocity 2 and 3, at time now + 1.
Terrapin Station

Syamsu wrote: April 26th, 2020, 6:00 am To accept free will as physics, requires to explain objects as consisting of the laws of nature. Then as being laws unto themselves, objects exhibit freedom.

So basically you would describe an object with mathematics, and then construe objects as computing their own next state by the laws which they consist of.

Construed this way, a future of alternatives comes out of the object, which future the object anticipates. So the object does not have a model of what alternative futures may be available, it only has the actual alternative futures available. So for instance an object may have the alternative futures available of velocity 2 and 3, at time now + 1.
Is part of the idea there that if we don't posit physical laws, we don't have physics?

Even at that, why couldn't we posit overarching (rather than specific object-located) physical laws that aren't deterministic in the sense of there being only one immediately following consequent state from any antecedent state?
Syamsu

Post by Syamsu »

Obviously it is a bit incoherent to posit laws outside of the object, because it surmises that objects consult a lawbook on what to do.
Terrapin Station

Syamsu wrote: April 26th, 2020, 7:03 am Obviously it is a bit incoherent to posit laws outside of the object, because it surmises that objects consult a lawbook on what to do.
I'm not a realist on physical laws, so I don't think it really makes sense to "posit laws inside an object" either.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 25th, 2020, 9:37 pm
h_k_s wrote: April 25th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Be careful what you say.

Thanks.
The philosophical definition of free will is a choice we make that is free of causal necessity.

A description of free will from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy begins like this, "The term “free will” has emerged over the past two millennia as the canonical designator for a significant kind of control over one’s actions." The full article is here https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/freewill/

Enjoy.
Perfect, thank you.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream