Determinism and the Laws of Nature

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Re: Determinism and the Laws of Nature

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: April 26th, 2020, 3:36 am
So, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, there's a long history in philosophy of a debate between freedom and determinism in general ontological terms, where we're not specifically talking about free will.
And we have been discussing several things outside of free will, such as the ontology of the laws of nature, and the distinctions between necessities and possibilities.
What, exactly, is being discussed there, traditionally, is not up for debate.

So, you believe that philosophy is something that one reads about, but not something that one would dare to engage in?
You can think that the traditional dilemma, the traditional distinctions are misguided, or that they're uninteresting or unimportant, etc., but nevertheless, it's a historical fact that there's such a debate, and if we talk about something else instead, if we change the distinction, we're simply changing the topic with respect to that traditional debate. We're not settling anything about the debate in that case; we're rather changing the subject.
It is the nature of a dilemma that it challenges us to resolve it.
Free will, in the context of the traditional debate, is a subset of free ontological phenomena. In order to posit free will, we have to accept that free phenomena are possible with respect to the traditional distinction, and then the issue is just how willed/intentional phenomena work within that context. Just how can it be that we can control free phenomena? To what extent do we do so? And so on.
I'd be happy to address those issues, but that's not the topic here. The topic here is determinism and the laws of nature. For example, are the laws of nature ontological realities or simply a metaphor? Do they in fact determine events or do they only describe how the ontological objects and forces reliably bring about events.
Semantics, by the way, is theory or philosophy of meaning. It studies just what meaning, qua meaning is, how it works, etc. It's not about "correct definitions." Semantics is a subset of semiotics, theory or philosophy of signs, a la signifiers and signifieds, etc.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 26th, 2020, 8:09 am So, you believe that philosophy is something that one reads about, but not something that one would dare to engage in?
If that were what I wanted to say, I would have written that.

Rather, I believe that "What, exactly, is being discussed there, traditionally, is not up for debate." You can talk about something else, but it's changing the topic relative to the traditional discussion.
That can't be done if we change the topic.
I'd be happy to address those issues, but that's not the topic here. The topic here is determinism and the laws of nature. For example, are the laws of nature ontological realities or simply a metaphor? Do they in fact determine events or do they only describe how the ontological objects and forces reliably bring about events.
I brought this up a week or two ago with respect to it being harder to argue for determinism if we assert realism for physical laws. That wouldn't be impossible, but it would be more difficult to account for determinism if physical laws are simply ways of thinking about regularities.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Wossname wrote: April 26th, 2020, 4:06 am
It reminds me of Heraclitus and never being able to step in the same river twice. I do not see why blind chance cannot have a role to play at times. Some element of randomness could just be part of the way the universe works. If it is the case I don't know how we could prove it though. Well controlled experimentation is designed to eliminate extraneous variables and so if done properly should provide replicable results. When it doesn't, we tend to blame it on a lack of rigour. The wider universe of course is not a laboratory experiment (?) and it may be that this interplay between huge numbers of variables might increase the odds of occasional random outcomes.

Anyway, thanks for your reply, - I think I understand you better now.
You know what they say: randomness is just a measurement of our ignorance.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: April 26th, 2020, 8:18 am
Rather, I believe that "What, exactly, is being discussed there, traditionally, is not up for debate." You can talk about something else, but it's changing the topic relative to the traditional discussion.
That can't be done if we change the topic.
Well, that's a bit frustrating. You insist upon have the traditional discussion, because otherwise I would be off topic. But the traditional discussion is an interminable debate, that never resolves any dilemma.

To resolve the dilemma requires notions that are explored in the traditional discussion.
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 26th, 2020, 1:28 pm Well, that's a bit frustrating. You insist upon have the traditional discussion, because otherwise I would be off topic.
That's not what I'm saying, actually. I'm just pointing out that we are changing the topic relative to the traditional discussion. I'm not forwarding a normative about that. I'm not saying we need to have one discussion versus another. It's just that compatibilism doesn't work unless we change the topic, because we're changing definitions, from the traditional debate about this issue.
But the traditional discussion is an interminable debate, that never resolves any dilemma.

To resolve the dilemma requires notions that are explored in the traditional discussion.
Personally, I don't really see it as something that needs to be resolved for any reason. Re legal culpability, for example, it doesn't really matter whether we're determinists in the traditional sense or not. We can still say that someone is responsible for their actions just in case they did the actions in question and especially if they had the intention to do them. That they maybe had no (real) choice in the matter wouldn't change this fact. And we can point out that whether they have a (real) choice in the matter doesn't change the fact that people who commit violent crimes--rapes, murders, etc.--tend to be a significant risk to commit those sorts of crimes again, which is what we're trying to avoid.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: April 26th, 2020, 3:39 pm
Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 26th, 2020, 1:28 pm Well, that's a bit frustrating. You insist upon have the traditional discussion, because otherwise I would be off topic.
That's not what I'm saying, actually. I'm just pointing out that we are changing the topic relative to the traditional discussion. I'm not forwarding a normative about that. I'm not saying we need to have one discussion versus another. It's just that compatibilism doesn't work unless we change the topic, because we're changing definitions, from the traditional debate about this issue.
But the traditional discussion is an interminable debate, that never resolves any dilemma.

Personally, I don't really see it as something that needs to be resolved for any reason. Re legal culpability, for example, it doesn't really matter whether we're determinists in the traditional sense or not. We can still say that someone is responsible for their actions just in case they did the actions in question and especially if they had the intention to do them. That they maybe had no (real) choice in the matter wouldn't change this fact. And we can point out that whether they have a (real) choice in the matter doesn't change the fact that people who commit violent crimes--rapes, murders, etc.--tend to be a significant risk to commit those sorts of crimes again, which is what we're trying to avoid.
There are practical moral consequences of instilling the belief that no one has free will and no one can be held responsible for their acts. Several studies documented here support this:
http://eddynahmias.com/wp-content/uploa ... eister.pdf
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 26th, 2020, 5:41 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: April 26th, 2020, 3:39 pm

There are practical moral consequences of instilling the belief that no one has free will and no one can be held responsible for their acts. Several studies documented here support this:
I know that's a common view, but I don't agree with it, primarily for the two reasons I listed.

One, even if you're forced to make a particular decision (by impersonal physical forces), you still whatever action you did. That's kind of like if you're hiking under a cliff and a rock falls on your head. You curse the rock for falling on your head, because that was the object in motion that caused the problem you care about. You don't curse the various causal factors prior to the rock falling on your head, going all the way back to the Big Bang. If we were to always intuitively go back to the initial source in the causal chain, then for any natural occurrence that we're concerned with--hurricanes, floods, mudslides, whatever--we'd have to blame the Big Bang (as long as we buy causal determinism). But we don't do that. No one would blame the Big Bang for an earthquake.

Two, as I mentioned, whatever the case re free will/determinism, it's an undeniable fact that people who commit serious and violent crimes, at least where we're not talking about crimes of passion, are much more of a risk for committing further similar serious and violent crimes. Again, this is similar to if a particular hiking spot under a cliff is a place where rocks above have a tendency to fall. We don't say, "Oh, well, they're not choosing to fall, so therefore we're not justified in taking any action to prevent them from falling on people's heads." We instead put up netting, or we change the hiking path below the rocks, or something else--clear all of the rocks on the cliff out or whatever--to prevent further injuries. Likewise, we're justified in separating serious/violent criminals from the general population. It's not as if we're not justified in doing that just in case they didn't actually choose to murder, rape etc.

So I don't agree that moral/legal culpability hinges on whether there's really free will.
Terrapin Station

Oops, in the second sentence, that should be "you still DID whatever action you did."
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: April 26th, 2020, 6:25 pm
Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 26th, 2020, 5:41 pm

I know that's a common view, but I don't agree with it, primarily for the two reasons I listed.
The paper is not a viewpoint. It is scientific evidence of the effect of certain beliefs upon behavior.
Terrapin Station wrote: One, even if you're forced to make a particular decision (by impersonal physical forces), you still whatever action you did. That's kind of like if you're hiking under a cliff and a rock falls on your head. You curse the rock for falling on your head, because that was the object in motion that caused the problem you care about. You don't curse the various causal factors prior to the rock falling on your head, going all the way back to the Big Bang. If we were to always intuitively go back to the initial source in the causal chain, then for any natural occurrence that we're concerned with--hurricanes, floods, mudslides, whatever--we'd have to blame the Big Bang (as long as we buy causal determinism). But we don't do that. No one would blame the Big Bang for an earthquake.
Correct. Blame is only effective when attempting to modify a choosing operation. Rocks don't make choices. Neither did the Big Bang.

But the human choosing process can be influenced and modified. One such influence is the disapproval of others. In William Bowers' 1964 study of "Student Dishonesty and its Control in College" he found that the most significant deterrent to cheating was "perceived peer disapproval". It even had a higher correlation that personal disapproval. Blame can be an effective tool of behavior modification as it communicates social disapproval.
Terrapin Station wrote:Two, as I mentioned, whatever the case re free will/determinism, it's an undeniable fact that people who commit serious and violent crimes, at least where we're not talking about crimes of passion, are much more of a risk for committing further similar serious and violent crimes. Again, this is similar to if a particular hiking spot under a cliff is a place where rocks above have a tendency to fall. We don't say, "Oh, well, they're not choosing to fall, so therefore we're not justified in taking any action to prevent them from falling on people's heads." We instead put up netting, or we change the hiking path below the rocks, or something else--clear all of the rocks on the cliff out or whatever--to prevent further injuries. Likewise, we're justified in separating serious/violent criminals from the general population. It's not as if we're not justified in doing that just in case they didn't actually choose to murder, rape etc.

So I don't agree that moral/legal culpability hinges on whether there's really free will.
Yes, we're justified in taking appropriate action to prevent further harm. But the appropriate action when the cause is a relevant mental illness is psychiatric treatment, and the appropriate action for a deliberate act of a rational mind is corrective punishment and rehabilitation. The notion of free will makes this distinction. Causal necessity makes no distinctions, and would treat everyone like a rock.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Marvin Edwards wrote:
Your notion of free will is freedom of choice. You yourself are more free than another who is illiterate. Human freedom relates to power of choice; the greater variety and number of choices the more the freedom.
Your notion of free will is not Free Will which is uncaused and lacks not only space- time coordinates but hasn't any attributes at all. The Free Will (that not set into the causal network )is a religious mystery the purpose of which is to justify blaming and punishing wrongdoers.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

It is my view that a full acknowledgement of determinism would mean a great boost to the penal system.
Rather than pretend that criminals should be taken off the streets because they are simply and willfully committing crime for reasons purely their own; a system, that on the contrary, recognises the causal nature of crime and the fact that new causes can create new effects, would steer towards understanding the caused of crime and of instituting corrective and rehabilitation methods for prisoners.
The country that has the most criminals in gaol is beset by problems of overcrowding; a complete failure of rehabilitation; and only offers a cruel, violent and dangerous environment.
The result is high residivism and alienation from society.
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 26th, 2020, 8:59 pm Correct. Blame is only effective when attempting to modify a choosing operation. Rocks don't make choices. Neither did the Big Bang.
??? Not what I'm saying. I wrote "You curse the rock for falling on your head." That is blaming the rock. It fell on your head! It doesn't matter that the rock didn't choose to fall on your head. You don't say, "No problem, rock. You didn't make a choice to fall on my head. So I don't blame you for falling on my head. It wasn't your fault. Fall away."

It was the rock's fault. The rock is what fell on your head. Nothing else fell on your head.
Yes, we're justified in taking appropriate action to prevent further harm. But the appropriate action when the cause is a relevant mental illness is psychiatric treatment, and the appropriate action for a deliberate act of a rational mind is corrective punishment and rehabilitation. The notion of free will makes this distinction. Causal necessity makes no distinctions, and would treat everyone like a rock.
I don't at all agree with the conventional wisdom there on many angles. I often don't agree with it re determining a presence or lack of mental illness, I don't agree that the conventional view of mental illness versus no mental illness correlates at all with free will versus a lack of the same, and I don't agree at all with the way our prison systems are structured or function. I wouldn't have anything like our present prisons systems if I were king. I also don't agree with many laws we currently have, but all of this is another issue that would be better served with different threads.

So none of that is the point. You're not at all commenting on the point. The point was that regardless of whether free will obtains or not in the traditional distinction, we're justified in separating people who commit violent crimes, because they're far more likely than the average Joe to commit that crime in the future. Whether they're more likely to commit that crime has nothing to do with whether free will is the case.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: April 27th, 2020, 7:45 am So none of that is the point. You're not at all commenting on the point. The point was that regardless of whether free will obtains or not in the traditional distinction, we're justified in separating people who commit violent crimes, because they're far more likely than the average Joe to commit that crime in the future. Whether they're more likely to commit that crime has nothing to do with whether free will is the case.
Oh. Perhaps I should have started with, "I agree with your point that we're justified in taking some appropriate action to prevent further criminal acts".

Then I would go on to explain how the notion of free will plays a role in causally determining what the appropriate action should be.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 17th, 2020, 3:23 pm [W]e must avoid viewing the laws of nature as some external causal agent that necessitates events.
Exactly. The laws of nature are descriptive formulations humans have created. Nature is the master, or reference, and these 'laws' describe how nature works, but do not in any way proscribe nature's behaviour. Human laws, though, are binding. They are binding because we say they are binding ... and because we punish those who break them. So even these laws aren't really binding in themselves, they simply express our position that any one of our members who does this will suffer this penalty.

But doesn't that deal with this whole topic? Isn't that it? 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 27th, 2020, 10:29 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 17th, 2020, 3:23 pm [W]e must avoid viewing the laws of nature as some external causal agent that necessitates events.
Exactly. The laws of nature are descriptive formulations humans have created. Nature is the master, or reference, and these 'laws' describe how nature works, but do not in any way proscribe nature's behaviour. Human laws, though, are binding. They are binding because we say they are binding ... and because we punish those who break them. So even these laws aren't really binding in themselves, they simply express our position that any one of our members who does this will suffer this penalty.

But doesn't that deal with this whole topic? Isn't that it? 🤔
Well, with one exception. "Nature" as the "master" would be another metaphor. Nature does not (IMO) behave as an entity with a will of its own. Only the real objects and forces that make up the universe can be said to "cause" things to happen. The point of making this distinction is to return causal agency to natural objects, one of which is us. The metaphors, when taken literally, abscond with our causal agency.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream