Deletion, creation and movement

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Steve3007

Deletion, creation and movement

Post by Steve3007 »

Consider the following two descriptions of a process:

1. Delete an X from place A. Create an X at place B.

and:

2. Move an X from A to B.

Are there any circumstances in which you would be able to regard 1 as instrumentally equivalent to 2?

If "yes" would 'X' have to represent a particular kind of entity, or could it represent anything?
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Re: Deletion, creation and movement

Post by Count Lucanor »

Steve3007 wrote: April 27th, 2020, 10:55 am Consider the following two descriptions of a process:

and:

Are there any circumstances in which you would be able to regard 1 as instrumentally equivalent to 2?

If "yes" would 'X' have to represent a particular kind of entity, or could it represent anything?
"Delete" and "create" have an ambiguous meaning here, unless they meant an absolute deletion and creation: things that pop off in or out of existence. Otherwise, someone might interpret that something is deleted when it's taken out of sight and created when it's made visible, which of course could imply moving it and the the problem would not make sense. As an alternative, it could be proposed this way:

1. Destroy an X from place A. Build an X at place B.

and:

Tentatively, my answer is yes, because the same output is obtained, and it is the output that is instrumental. If we need an ambulance to go to the hospital, it really doesn't matter how it managed to arrive for fulfilling the goal of going to the hospital. The background of its origins becomes irrelevant.

X would have to be an entity that serves a function, in other words, is instrumental in reaching that goal. It must be noticed, however, that humans can find a function for everything, even for letting a piece of junk rust in the backyard for ages, for the pure pleasure of it.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Steve3007 wrote: April 27th, 2020, 10:55 am Are there any circumstances in which you would be able to regard 1 as instrumentally equivalent to 2?
If we're dealing with discrete, quantized spatial locations and A and B are such locations immediately adjacent to each other. (Which is of course assuming that such discrete, quantized spatial locations can exist.)
It would have to be an entity small enough that it's contained within one of the discrete, quantized spatial locations.
Terrapin Station

I suppose I didn't really answer this from an instrumental context, but rather a literal context.

Instrumentally, we could say that they're the same as long as we don't care about/didn't or can't know about the motion or change in question.

By the way, though, on my view, things aren't literally the same when they move from one location to another, or when they're numerically distinct, including temporally.
Terrapin Station

If you're thinking about this in terms of the "teleportation" issue, usually the concern there is just in what manner the entity at time B is connected to the entity at time A, with a focus on the distinction between "sameness" due to causally, contiguously connected phenomena and "difference" due to an absence of the same.

So in other words, what makes x "the same x" is that the different state of x at B as opposed to A involves phenomena that are contiguously, causally connected. But with something like "teleportation," where what that's really amounting to is taking a "picture" of sorts of x at location A, destroying x at location A, and then recreating x at location B, the x at location B does not have the contiguous, causal connections to x at location A that we usually require to consider something "the same" x.

Hence worries that in this sort of teleportation, you're actually being killed at A and something else is being brought into existence at B.
Terrapin Station

I should have said "time or location B" at the start of that last post.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Terrapin Station wrote: April 28th, 2020, 9:16 am Terrapin Station » 21 minutes ago

If you're thinking about this in terms of the "teleportation" issue, usually the concern there is just in what manner the entity at time B is connected to the entity at time A, with a focus on the distinction between "sameness" due to causally, contiguously connected phenomena and "difference" due to an absence of the same.

So in other words, what makes x "the same x" is that the different state of x at B as opposed to A involves phenomena that are contiguously, causally connected. But with something like "teleportation," where what that's really amounting to is taking a "picture" of sorts of x at location A, destroying x at location A, and then recreating x at location B, the x at location B does not have the contiguous, causal connections to x at location A that we usually require to consider something "the same" x.

Hence worries that in this sort of teleportation, you're actually being killed at A and something else is being brought into existence at B.

I seem to remember reading a science fiction book as a child in which there was a malfunction and the person's "information" was teleported and recreated at location B but the person was not destroyed in location A (i.e. the teleporter). It raises questions about personal identity. I can't for the life of me recall the name of the book.

Tell me T.S., if Star Trek referred to something real, would you get into their transporter and be beamed fom one location to another?
Terrapin Station

Wossname wrote: April 28th, 2020, 9:45 am
Terrapin Station wrote: April 28th, 2020, 9:16 am Terrapin Station » 21 minutes ago

I seem to remember reading a science fiction book as a child in which there was a malfunction and the person's "information" was teleported and recreated at location B but the person was not destroyed in location A (i.e. the teleporter). It raises questions about personal identity. I can't for the life of me recall the name of the book.

Tell me T.S., if Star Trek referred to something real, would you get into their transporter and be beamed fom one location to another?
I think I probably would, and the likelihood of that would be increased if we could restore health, agility, increase lifespan etc. as an added bonus.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Terrapin Station wrote: April 28th, 2020, 10:37 am Terrapin Station » Today, 3:37 pm

I think I probably would, and the likelihood of that would be increased if we could restore health, agility, increase lifespan etc. as an added bonus.

I am dithering in my head on this one, but your added bonus is a good point and just might clinch it for me too.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Steve3007 wrote: April 27th, 2020, 10:55 am Consider the following two descriptions of a process:

and:

The two are identical for distances at the boundary between the Newtonian and quantum.
"As usual... it depends."
Ayaan_817

Post by Ayaan_817 »

and:

What you're saying here is teleportation.
Now, teleportation is the dematerialization of a substance down to its elementary particles and projecting those particles through another dimension and then back to our dimension at some coordinates [x, y, z]

But if you look at it from a different perspective, that's like saying I broke a cup and its pieces went to another dimension and then returned in its original form. So, did the cup even break at all?

If I split a brain into its 2 sides, left and right, and put those halves in different bodies, which body would be the original one that we began with? Keep in mind that living with one halve of a brain is medically possible.

I'm sorry if I swayed away from the original subject but no, 1 cannot be instrumentally equivalent to 2 as numbers are not even real. In fact, nothing is in fact real.

Consider it like this-

time is nothing but like unique frames in a reel and you can say the frame is a universe and the reel is the multiverse consisting of infinite frames.
Mutiple 'consciousness' are travelling through these frames and projecting them as what we call reality.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

If one is to be destroyed in one location and recreated in another, I hope that one is at least rendered unconscious before being killed prior to one's relocated resurrection!
Terrapin Station

Ayaan_817 wrote: May 1st, 2020, 2:25 am In fact, nothing is in fact real.
Oy vey.

There has to be a philosophy board that's not full of people who think stuff like this. (Please?)
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll try to deal with some of the individual points raised later.

The particular entity that I had in mind in starting this topic was the abstract concept of money, as a result of a discussion in another topic with Wossname. I say "the abstract concept" to make it clear that I'm not talking about any of the physical representations of money, perhaps made from paper or various kinds of metal. I'm talking about fiat money - money that exists purely as an agreement or resolve in human minds (The word "fiat" being a Latin word which represents this).

I was interested in the question of whether, if a quantity of fiat money disappears from one place and the same quantity appears somewhere else, we can regard this as that quantity moving from the former place to the latter. The curious thing appears to be that, according to some theories, the answer to that question can be either "yes" or "no". If you're paying for your groceries using your credit card in a supermarket it's "yes". If the government is taxing and spending it's "no". At least according to one theory. That's interesting, The reason for the difference appears to be that, legally, the government doesn't have to tax and spend. They can do one without the other. But, legally, you do have to pay for your groceries.

But I thought it worth spinning off a new topic because clearly the general concept is applicable to other situations. For example, teleportation has already been mentioned in the posts above as an example, and in fact it has been discussed previously around here.

In the OP I asked about "particular kinds of entities" because one of the first divisions that struck me, when considering this in the context of fiat money, was the division between abstract concepts and material objects. I noted in the original topic, one of the differences between those two is that different instances of abstract concepts are literally identical to each other, whereas material objects generally aren't. For example, as an abstract concept, one US dollar is identical to another. But one US dollar bill clearly isn't. There are numerous physical differences (slight weight difference, different folds in the paper, someone's written on one of them with a biro, etc). You can't write on an abstract concept with a biro!

To switch across disciplines again: this then relates to such things as the concept, from modern physics, that certain elementary particles, such as electrons, are regarded as literally identical. This proposition has observable effects, such as the Pauli Exclusion Principle.

And so the cross disciplinary applicability of the concept goes on. And that, to me, is part of the essence of Philosophy: taking an idea, stepping way back from the details of individual disciplines, and observing its universality.
Terrapin Station

Steve3007 wrote: May 1st, 2020, 6:41 am
I was interested in the question of whether, if a quantity of fiat money disappears from one place and the same quantity appears somewhere else, we can regard this as that quantity moving from the former place to the latter. The curious thing appears to be that, according to some theories, the answer to that question can be either "yes" or "no".
With anything like this, we're talking about an abstraction, a concept-formulation, and it's simply a matter of how you want to think about it.

I noted in the original topic, one of the differences between those two is that different instances of abstract concepts are literally identical to each other, whereas material objects generally aren't. For example, as an abstract concept, one US dollar is identical to another.
Again, this depends on the person in question, how they formulate their abstractions. As a nominalist who is acutely aware of these issues from my philosophical background, for example, in my abstractions I don't think of dollars as being literally identical. But I'm sure it's more common to think of them as identical.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream