Space, Time, and Paradoxes

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Space, Time, and Paradoxes

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

I noticed an old post about the nature of time, space, and Zeno's paradoxes.

Time is a measurement of the period between two events and the duration of an event.

Space is a measurement of the distance between two objects.

Space doesn't bend and time doesn't dilate. What actually happens is that gravity affects the trajectory of objects near a large mass. What actually happens is that events within objects approaching the speed of light slow down. Time doesn't change. Things simply move slower.

Time travel is impossible because the location of objects changes over time. The interactions that naturally occur between objects due to the forces between them alters the location and or construction of the object. To go back in time would involve repositioning every object in the universe and reversing every transformation. And that would be a heck of a lot of work.

A paradox, especially those by Zeno, is typically a hoax created by a subtle, but false, suggestion. Take for example the problem of getting from one's chair to the door. To get to the door we must first get to a point that is halfway between the chair and the door. But to get to that halfway point we must first get to a point that is halfway between the chair and that point. And to get to that point we must first get to ... ad infinitum. Since we have to traverse an infinite number of points to get there, it must be impossible to get to the door.

My solution was that every time that we cut the distance in half, our speed, relative to the distance, would double. Such that we are going infinitely fast through those infinite points, and quickly arrive at the door.

But the paradox is a hoax. We set our sights upon the door and marshal the energy required to get up from the chair and walk to the door. No one thinks to himself that he must infinitely subdivide the distance. If they did, then they would not bother getting out of the chair.

Zeno's paradox does not enlighten us about anything other than how easy it is to be sucked into a hoax.
Steve3007

Re: Space, Time, and Paradoxes

Post by Steve3007 »

Marvin_Edwards wrote:Time is a measurement of the period between two events and the duration of an event.
I agree that time is defined in terms of measurement. I think this is equivalent to saying that time is the thing that clocks measure, where the word "clock" is used in its most general possible sense, and not just used to mean a particular type of device manufactured by humans.

If there were no events, anywhere, do you think it would still be useful to keep the concept of time? In other words, do you think a thing which is defined as a measurement can meaningfully be said to exist in the absence of anything to measure?
What actually happens is that events within objects approaching the speed of light slow down. Time doesn't change. Things simply move slower.
If, as we've agreed, time is defined in terms of measurement, then if all of those measurements change, isn't that the same as saying that time has changed?

As a thought experiment: Suppose we could halve the duration between literally every single event in the Universe. What would that mean? Would it mean anything? Would it have any effect that could ever, in principle or practice, be measured?
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Steve3007 wrote: April 30th, 2020, 6:02 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote:Time is a measurement of the period between two events and the duration of an event.
I agree that time is defined in terms of measurement. I think this is equivalent to saying that time is the thing that clocks measure, where the word "clock" is used in its most general possible sense, and not just used to mean a particular type of device manufactured by humans.

If there were no events, anywhere, do you think it would still be useful to keep the concept of time? In other words, do you think a thing which is defined as a measurement can meaningfully be said to exist in the absence of anything to measure?
What actually happens is that events within objects approaching the speed of light slow down. Time doesn't change. Things simply move slower.
If, as we've agreed, time is defined in terms of measurement, then if all of those measurements change, isn't that the same as saying that time has changed?

As a thought experiment: Suppose we could halve the duration between literally every single event in the Universe. What would that mean? Would it mean anything? Would it have any effect that could ever, in principle or practice, be measured?
In your scenario, if there were no relevant events we would not have created the notion of time. Creating the notion would have been an event, and it would not have happened.

In the scenario where the duration between all events were halved, no one would notice. That's my understanding of time dilation, that the guy traveling near the speed of light and his brother back on Earth would notice no difference until the traveler returned and saw how old his "stationary" brother had become while he was away.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 29th, 2020, 11:20 pm I noticed an old post about the nature of time, space, and Zeno's paradoxes.

Time is a measurement of the period between two events and the duration of an event.

Space doesn't bend and time doesn't dilate. What actually happens is that gravity affects the trajectory of objects near a large mass. What actually happens is that events within objects approaching the speed of light slow down. Time doesn't change. Things simply move slower.

Time travel is impossible because the location of objects changes over time. The interactions that naturally occur between objects due to the forces between them alters the location and or construction of the object. To go back in time would involve repositioning every object in the universe and reversing every transformation. And that would be a heck of a lot of work.

A paradox, especially those by Zeno, is typically a hoax created by a subtle, but false, suggestion. Take for example the problem of getting from one's chair to the door. To get to the door we must first get to a point that is halfway between the chair and the door. But to get to that halfway point we must first get to a point that is halfway between the chair and that point. And to get to that point we must first get to ... ad infinitum. Since we have to traverse an infinite number of points to get there, it must be impossible to get to the door.

My solution was that every time that we cut the distance in half, our speed, relative to the distance, would double. Such that we are going infinitely fast through those infinite points, and quickly arrive at the door.

But the paradox is a hoax. We set our sights upon the door and marshal the energy required to get up from the chair and walk to the door. No one thinks to himself that he must infinitely subdivide the distance. If they did, then they would not bother getting out of the chair.

Zeno's paradox does not enlighten us about anything other than how easy it is to be sucked into a hoax.
A very nice post, I completely agree on all points.

For me, time is simply a record of heartbeats. And if there is no heart beating, then time does not exist.

And space is simply the distance between objects. And if there are no objects, then space does not exist.

Ultimately time and space do not exist. They are simply references to objects that do exist.
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Post by Thomyum2 »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 29th, 2020, 11:20 pm Space doesn't bend and time doesn't dilate. What actually happens is that gravity affects the trajectory of objects near a large mass. What actually happens is that events within objects approaching the speed of light slow down. Time doesn't change. Things simply move slower.

I disagree that it's a hoax - actually I don't think the point is to try to argue for the absurdity that we could never arrive anywhere. Rather, think it illustrates something important about observations and what we can measure and know in the world.

Take the example of a right equilateral triangle - if we use the leg as a unit of measurement, the hypotenuse can only be represented as an irrational number, in other words, the exact length of the hypotenuse can not be represented mathematically as any fraction of the length of the leg. Which means that if were to try to use the leg to measure the hypotenuse, we would have to do exactly what Zeno's paradox says - to cut the leg by a half, or a third or a quarter, but no matter how many times we did it, we could never arrive at an exact measurement of the length of the hypotenuse. In other words, the unit must become infinitely divisible in order to arrive at the exact measurement. (It's interesting to note that since the reverse is true - that using the hypotenuse as the unit of measurement would result in the leg being irrational. So, in a sense, if we know one measurement of one part of the triangle, we can't ever know the exact measurement of the other part, which reminds me very much of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.)

It occurred to me a while back that Zeno's paradox also applies to the idea of the Big Bang. We see arguments back and forth about whether or not the Big Bang could have been the 'beginning' of the universe, or of what happened 'before' the Big Bang. But the theory, per my limited understanding of it, is that the understanding of gravity's relationship to time is incorporated into the understanding of the expansion and it makes no sense to ask these questions. So if we figuratively run the 'clock' in reverse and trace the universe back toward the Big Bang, we note that the further back in time we go, the more dense the universe becomes, and with this increased density is a state of increased gravity in which, as you've mentioned above, things 'simply move slower'. So as we try to approach that 'moment' of the Big Bang, we move slower and slower the further back we go, and we're in a denser and denser environment, and we can never actually 'arrive' at the point of the 'beginning'. Which I think is exactly what Zeno had in mind.

So rather than a hoax, I think Zeno has created an insightful analogy about the paradoxes that we actually do encounter in the real world.
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Time is simply motion or change. We keep track of time, and we measure it, but keeping track of/measuring motions/changes. We prefer phenomenally regular motions or changes for that.

Space is simply the extension(al relations) of and between matter.

Time travel isn't possible because it makes no sense to "travel back in change." The best you could do is change everything back to what it was, but that would actually be an additional iteration of those states, where you're not literally "traveling back in change."

Zeno's paradoxes hinge on the notion that this stuff is really mathematical, and that reality works just like our mathematical abstractions do. But that's not the case. "Dividing change/motion" and/or "dividing extension" are abstractions.
Terrapin Station

Actually, I should say above "a new iteration of similar states"--I don't want to give the impression the it's the same states, because it's not. The whole point is that they're different. They're just another change, as any change would be.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

h_k_s wrote: April 30th, 2020, 11:13 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 29th, 2020, 11:20 pm I noticed an old post about the nature of time, space, and Zeno's paradoxes.

A very nice post, I completely agree on all points.

For me, time is simply a record of heartbeats. And if there is no heart beating, then time does not exist.

And space is simply the distance between objects. And if there are no objects, then space does not exist.

Ultimately time and space do not exist. They are simply references to objects that do exist.
Nicely said.
Ayaan_817

Post by Ayaan_817 »

I agree the definitions you have provided for space but I disagree with those of time. According to me, time doesn't exist, and for your convenience, you can think about existence as multiple frames in a movie reel. Each unique frame is it's own frozen universe and a consciousness is travelling among those frames and it perceives them as a moving 3D picture.

Time is but an illusion and paradoxes are really hoaxes as you said.
Terrapin Station

Ayaan_817 wrote: May 1st, 2020, 1:27 am I agree the definitions you have provided for space but I disagree with those of time. According to me, time doesn't exist, and for your convenience, you can think about existence as multiple frames in a movie reel. Each unique frame is it's own frozen universe and a consciousness is travelling among those frames and it perceives them as a moving 3D picture.

If consciousness is "traveling among those frames" how is that not time? Time is motion or change. If something is traveling, something is moving or changing.
Ayaan_817

Post by Ayaan_817 »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 1st, 2020, 6:22 am
Ayaan_817 wrote: May 1st, 2020, 1:27 am I agree the definitions you have provided for space but I disagree with those of time. According to me, time doesn't exist, and for your convenience, you can think about existence as multiple frames in a movie reel. Each unique frame is it's own frozen universe and a consciousness is travelling among those frames and it perceives them as a moving 3D picture.

If consciousness is "traveling among those frames" how is that not time? Time is motion or change. If something is travelling, something is moving or changing.
What I meant was that consciousness is a whole another dimension whose effects are not physically visible on our three dimensional universe. It is a whole new dimension in itself.

If time is motion and change, then an object not in motion and one which is not undergoing change in not under the influence of time?
Terrapin Station

Ayaan_817 wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:36 am
Terrapin Station wrote: May 1st, 2020, 6:22 am

If consciousness is "traveling among those frames" how is that not time? Time is motion or change. If something is travelling, something is moving or changing.
What I meant was that consciousness is a whole another dimension whose effects are not physically visible on our three dimensional universe. It is a whole new dimension in itself.
What does "dimension" amount to here, exactly?
If time is motion and change, then an object not in motion and one which is not undergoing change in not under the influence of time?
First, time is IDENTICAL to motion/change, it's not that something moving or changing is "under the influence of time" where time is something different than objects/relations moving/changing.

So the object not undergoing change (which contingently would have to be an elementary particle, since everything else only exists as dynamic relations of matter) is not "experiencing" time relative to itself, but relative to other things, it is, since those relations would be changing/in motion.
evolution

Post by evolution »

Space doesn't bend and time doesn't dilate. What actually happens is that gravity affects the trajectory of objects near a large mass.
I agree with this.
Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 29th, 2020, 11:20 pm What actually happens is that events within objects approaching the speed of light slow down. Time doesn't change. Things simply move slower.
How can things move slower when they move faster?

What you are trying to say here is not coming across correctly.

If you explain what you mean by 'things' here, then you will be better understood.

Also remember that absolutely every thing is relative to the observer, and, that what is being observed is not necessarily what actually happens. So, 'events' themselves might not actually slow down, but they only 'appear' to slow down?

Obviously what appears to an observer traveling at a slower speed may appear very different to what appears to an observer traveling at a faster speed, but just as obvious is there can only be one actual TRUTH.
Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 29th, 2020, 11:20 pm Time travel is impossible because the location of objects changes over time.
But if one is travelling faster than the location of objects changes over time, then they could be what is loosely called "time travel", correct?
Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 29th, 2020, 11:20 pm The interactions that naturally occur between objects due to the forces between them alters the location and or construction of the object. To go back in time would involve repositioning every object in the universe and reversing every transformation. And that would be a heck of a lot of work.

evolution

Post by evolution »

But what do you say is that 'thing', which clocks supposedly "measure"?
Steve3007 wrote: April 30th, 2020, 6:02 am If there were no events, anywhere, do you think it would still be useful to keep the concept of time? In other words, do you think a thing which is defined as a measurement can meaningfully be said to exist in the absence of anything to measure?
Obviously if there is no change, then there could not be any thing to measure.

Measurement only exists because of change.

The one and only continual change is only broken down into separated segments by human being's conceptualizing. These apparent segments are known "events", which do not exist in actuality. They only exist in concept only.
No not at all.
Steve3007 wrote: April 30th, 2020, 6:02 am As a thought experiment: Suppose we could halve the duration between literally every single event in the Universe.
But there is only one actual single event. And this eternal duration obviously could not be halved.
Steve3007 wrote: April 30th, 2020, 6:02 am What would that mean?
That would mean that a human being has selectively chosen a conceptualized segment between two chosen points, called that a "single event", and then found a half way point, using the increments on the human made tool known as a clock.
Steve3007 wrote: April 30th, 2020, 6:02 am Would it mean anything?
Only if one makes it mean anything.

Just like absolutely every thing else in the Universe, they only mean some thing if a human being gives "it" meaning.
Steve3007 wrote: April 30th, 2020, 6:02 am Would it have any effect that could ever, in principle or practice, be measured?
Any thing is only measured if some one chooses to measure "it". Whatever the 'it' is?
evolution

Post by evolution »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: April 30th, 2020, 7:57 am

In your scenario, if there were no relevant events we would not have created the notion of time. Creating the notion would have been an event, and it would not have happened.

In the scenario where the duration between all events were halved, no one would notice. That's my understanding of time dilation, that the guy traveling near the speed of light and his brother back on Earth would notice no difference until the traveler returned and saw how old his "stationary" brother had become while he was away.
When one person travels away from another person, and returns, the actual duration that existed for one person is the exact same duration that existed for the other person, which is the exact same duration for ALL people in fact. The duration for one person, in any measured scenario, is the exact same for ALL things no matter how fast or slow a speed any one or thing is travelling at. This, contrary to popular belief, can be very easily proven. In fact, the measurements that have already been taken and are used support this.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream