Subjective or Objective: Which?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Subjective or Objective: Which?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

gad-fly wrote: June 27th, 2020, 11:01 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 26th, 2020, 5:58 am
And I strongly disagree, I'm afraid. 😉 Rather, I would say that "by observing it from multiple perspectives and seeing what changes and what remains the same - by doing this, we build a consensus understanding of what properties the object retains independent [of] any single 'subjective' experience of it".

Consensus ≠ objectivity
Actually, that quote is from me, as it now shows. 😉
gad-fly wrote: June 27th, 2020, 11:01 am Objective is about view and opinion.
This is the opposite of the conventional meaning of the word. Traditionally, objectivity is about being completely and totally independent of view and opinion. I think it's true to say that, according to conventional usage, "objective" is not about view and opinion, it has nothing at all to do with view and opinion, it is what you get when you completely remove view and opinion (if that's even possible?).
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 28th, 2020, 7:18 am [ "objective" is not about view and opinion, it has nothing at all to do with view and opinion, it is what you get when you completely remove view and opinion (if that's even possible?).
You are correct if you take Objective as a noun, to mean purpose and intended consequence. It is in the dictionary. In this case, its antonym cannot be Subjective which is not a noun. The present thread is tilted with Objective against Subjective when it asks Which.

As to pursuing an objective with no prior opinion or comment, I cannot see why not. Go after what you want. Why take ye thought for the morrow?
Ron Krumpos
New Trial Member

Post by Ron Krumpos »

Be objective, not subjective. To control sentiments of “I,” weigh reactions to your words, others’ sensitivity to your thoughts and probable consequences of your actions. To heighten thinking beyond “me,” be cognizant of the reasons for your reasoning, goals of your learning, relevance of your memories, and real possibilities in your imagining. To enhance your senses beyond “my,” look not just see, listen not only hear, feel not solely touch, identify the scent not merely smell, and savor not taste alone. Go outside “self,” beyond me. The inherent significance of what is presently here is external.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

gad-fly wrote: June 28th, 2020, 11:44 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 28th, 2020, 7:18 am [ "objective" is not about view and opinion, it has nothing at all to do with view and opinion, it is what you get when you completely remove view and opinion (if that's even possible?).
You are correct if you take Objective as a noun, to mean purpose and intended consequence.
That may be so, but that wasn't my point ... and I can't see how you could have mistaken what I said for introducing yet another meaning carried by the term "objective". No, I didn't mean it in the sense of "he pursued his objective". I meant that objective - unbiased, detached, etc - is generally understood to carry a meaning that is distanced from view and opinion to the extent that it is wholly independent of them.

Is the purpose of this topic to introduce even more confusion into the use of the words "objective" and "subjective", and thereby encourage their non-use? I can see only an appeal for consensus over individual opinions. How am I getting this all so wrong? 🤔🤔🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 29th, 2020, 9:23 am I can see only an appeal for consensus over individual opinions. How am I getting this all so wrong?
I can understand your concern. Go ahead with your appeal for consensus. It may be a valuable experience.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

gad-fly wrote: June 29th, 2020, 10:15 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 29th, 2020, 9:23 am I can see only an appeal for consensus over individual opinions. How am I getting this all so wrong?
I can understand your concern. Go ahead with your appeal for consensus. It may be a valuable experience.
Oo, what? I am not appealing to or for consensus. I do oppose the view that objectivity can be derived from consensus, but I have no special interest in it apart from that. I just cannot see the purpose of this topic, and I want to. I'm not trying to derail your topic, but I am trying to understand it. And I'm not doing well at all. Perhaps it's just me. That's not an uncommon experience. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 29th, 2020, 10:29 am I just cannot see the purpose of this topic, and I want to. I'm not trying to derail your topic, but I am trying to understand it. And I'm not doing well at all. Perhaps it's just me. That's not an uncommon experience. 😉
Sorry. Your effort is appreciated.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

gad-fly wrote: June 6th, 2020, 3:27 pm Subjective usually begins with "I think . . .", whereas Objective would begin with "What others may think . . ." Which is superior? If asked, the answer to the question should depend on the surrounding circumstances. The answer may also be: None of the above.

The benefit of being subjective lies in the clarity of source, since I must understand and appreciate what and why I am thinking in this manner. The thought may arise from gut feeling, without justification, or it may arise after debate on my head about pros and cons arraigned against one another.

The benefit of being objective lies in there being many others arraigned against single me. Am I a megalomaniac to think I can be wiser than so many? I should be humble enough to submit to the majority. Who do I think I am?

The benefit of being objective lies in quantity. However, a person cannot see more clearly in himself than he can see in others. How he can be assured that a complete debate has been undertaken as to convince him to change his mind? Even if that outside debate has been undertaken, why should he being unconvinced change his mind, to submit to what may be called the dictatorship of the majority? Confuscius once said: If I am right, I shall go against millions. The moral of the story: Confuscius spent most of his life roaming in poverty, misery, and frustration. You should know which to pick.
I've gone back to the OP here, and read it again. And now I see a simple appeal to understand "objective" as "consensus" ("What others may think", "many others arraigned against single me", "The benefit of being objective lies in quantity"). It is quite impossible to derive objectivity from consensus. It's true that we can avoid certain simple errors and biases, if we're lucky, by combining many views and hoping the biases will cancel out. Statistics tells us that some of them will, some of the time. But not always; statistics tells us that too. And if the consensus is mistaken anyway - perhaps as people believed the earth is flat, or that the Sun revolves around it - then the conclusions reached are not "objective".

Isn't this really a discussion about the individual versus the tribe (society/collective/etc)? Doesn't it ask what might happen when the individual disagrees with the tribe? Doesn't it ask how, why or if the view of the tribe is always "superior" to that of the individual? I think perhaps it does...? 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 30th, 2020, 10:01 am
Isn't this really a discussion about the individual versus the tribe (society/collective/etc)? Doesn't it ask what might happen when the individual disagrees with the tribe? Doesn't it ask how, why or if the view of the tribe is always "superior" to that of the individual? I think perhaps it does...? 🤔
No. You have taken it out of context. Society (rather than tribe) forcing its view on members is totalitarian. The party line may prevail, but it may also be wrong. The dictatorship of the majority is not acceptable as a dictatorship.

This thread is about taking views or expressing opinion on a position or situation, whether subjectively or objectively. It is not about asking you which is superior. The question: A or B, which? A is from your own emotion, feeling, and so on. B is your influence by others, one or more. Consensus does not enter into the picture until later, or much later. No consensus? Too bad, if you care. My comment: Neither is superior nor biased. Let both live and play it out, to the benefit of all.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

gad-fly wrote: June 30th, 2020, 11:54 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 30th, 2020, 10:01 am
No. You have taken it out of context. Society (rather than tribe) forcing its view on members is totalitarian. The party line may prevail, but it may also be wrong. The dictatorship of the majority is not acceptable as a dictatorship.

This thread is about taking views or expressing opinion on a position or situation, whether subjectively or objectively. It is not about asking you which is superior. The question: A or B, which? A is from your own emotion, feeling, and so on. B is your influence by others, one or more. Consensus does not enter into the picture until later, or much later. No consensus? Too bad, if you care. My comment: Neither is superior nor biased. Let both live and play it out, to the benefit of all.
You are very good at A and B, but piss poor about actually understanding what is being said to you.
PC is making a valid point, which seems to have gone over your head.
When it comes to objective morality - that is totalitarianism in a nutshell - Where's you objection? A and B! LOL
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 30th, 2020, 12:55 pm
When it comes to objective morality - that is totalitarianism in a nutshell - Where's you objection? A and B! LOL
On totalitarianism, my subjective view is No. My objective view depends on what I can have heard from you and others. Note that, sorry, my objective view may not agree with yours. If my subjective and objective do not concur, I may decide on one, or I may suspend. Sorry again.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

gad-fly wrote: June 30th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: June 30th, 2020, 12:55 pm
On totalitarianism, my subjective view is No. My objective view depends on what I can have heard from you and others. Note that, sorry, my objective view may not agree with yours. If my subjective and objective do not concur, I may decide on one, or I may suspend. Sorry again.
You do not have an objective view.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 30th, 2020, 4:42 pm
Subjective and objective are adjective derived from Subject and Object. Collins Dictionary regarding Subject: 7. Philosophy a. that which thinks or feels as opposed to the object of thinking or feeling; the self or the mind, b. the essential nature or substance of of something as opposed to its attributes.

Subjective view is the view of the self or the mind. objective view is that not emanating from the self. This much is clear. I do not have an objective view until you and others come along for me to thank for, truly.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

gad-fly wrote: June 30th, 2020, 6:49 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: June 30th, 2020, 4:42 pm
Subjective and objective are adjective derived from Subject and Object. Collins Dictionary regarding Subject: 7. Philosophy a. that which thinks or feels as opposed to the object of thinking or feeling; the self or the mind, b. the essential nature or substance of of something as opposed to its attributes.

Subjective view is the view of the self or the mind. objective view is that not emanating from the self. This much is clear. I do not have an objective view until you and others come along for me to thank for, truly.
I'm glad you at least try to understand the terms you use, but your constant referral to the dictionary does not indicate that you have a deeper understanding. And sadly this is indeed the case. You cannot base an entire argument on one reading of a dictionary.

Philosophy takes thinking. When I say that you cannot have an objective view I meant that literally. Without consulting others, evidence and reason objectivity cannot be sought. You can't get that alone. Subjectivity is easy - we all do that, all the time. Objectivity is not achievable, and is no more than an aspiration to seek or a reflection of the negative. Objectivity is easy to stop when it is absent, but not so easy to establish.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 1st, 2020, 5:08 am Subjectivity is easy. Objectivity is not achievable, and is no more than an aspiration to seek or a reflection of the negative. Objectivity is easy to stop when it is absent, but not so easy to establish.
You have made your point on Subjectivity and Objectivity, and on how to deal with what is not achievable or not yet established. It is time to move on. This thread is not about Subjectivity and Objectivity.

The following quotation from internet applies:
"The real difference in subjective vs. objective is that objective situations can be observed independent of personal biases and experience (i.e. data), whereas subjective situations can usually only be viewed by one person, filtered through their unique lens of personal experience, taste, emotion, and bias."

More concisely: Subjective is by one person = self; Objective is independent of personal = others. Both are view on situation.

Time to be back on track.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream