Proof Infinity is Impossible

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
devans99

Re: Proof Infinity is Impossible

Post by devans99 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 21st, 2020, 1:55 pm No, space is not expanding as you think.
Matter is being thrust into nothingness. The forces of energy and matter are creating their own space to exist, pushing into nothingness.
That it does appear to be the case the space itself is expanding:

- The redshifts of distance galaxies indicate they are receding from us at faster than the speed of light
- Nothing can move relative to another thing at FTL speeds
- So the only mechanism we have to account for these high redshifts is that space itself is expanding
- 'Nothing' cannot expand so space is 'something'
devans99

Post by devans99 »

RJG wrote: July 21st, 2020, 3:54 pm
devans99 wrote:The container we call spacetime has existence, but I do not think it requires anywhere to 'exist in' or any position in a 'larger infinite universe'.
You seem comfortable with the notion that something of substance; i.e. something 'finite' can actually exist 'nowhere'. I cannot seem to fathom this concept. Something existing nowhere, means to me, that this something does not exist.

devans99 wrote:If you says the 2nd applies then the same argument can be made for the 'larger infinite universe' - to exist, that too would require a position within an even larger universe... and it all goes recursive again.
No, not with an 'infinite' universe. An infinite universe has no finite borders that need to exist anywhere. An infinite universe has no borders.

devans99 wrote:So space-time just expands and that's it - it does not need anything to expand into - it simply replaces 'nothing' when it expands.
This too is beyond comprehension. How can something "expand" if there is nowhere to expand?

I do not see why spacetime does not really need a position in a larger container. I imagine spacetime surrounded by just 'nothing'. 'Nothing' has no existence so is not infinite.

I am firmly of the opinion that spacetime is finite. When space expands, it pushes back the boundaries of 'nothing'. I don't think space needs a larger container to expand into. You can replace 'nothing' with 'something'.

The 'nothing' that surrounds spacetime - 'nothing' does not exist - so it can't be said to be infinite.

I think the BB started as a finite region of space.

The alternative, the Big Bang starting as an infinite, expanding region, is a logical minefield. How can something infinite expand? If it expands then it is bigger than it was before - which implies it was not infinite in the first place - contradiction - the Big Bang started as a finite region of space.

Or we can represent the expansion of an infinite space with ∞+1=∞, which implies space is not expanding - contradiction - hence the Big Bang started as a finite region of space.

This finite region of space has been expanding for the last 14 billion years at a finite rate - hence space was, is and always will be finite.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

devans99 wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 9:09 am
Sculptor1 wrote: July 21st, 2020, 1:55 pm No, space is not expanding as you think.
Matter is being thrust into nothingness. The forces of energy and matter are creating their own space to exist, pushing into nothingness.
That it does appear to be the case the space itself is expanding:

- The redshifts of distance galaxies indicate they are receding from us at faster than the speed of light
Things that travel faster than light are invisible; think about it!
- Nothing can move relative to another thing at FTL speeds
Nothing can move at all at FTL
- So the only mechanism we have to account for these high redshifts is that space itself is expanding.
How?
- 'Nothing' cannot expand so space is 'something'
Like I said. Space is only a reflection of the things that are in it.
RJG

Post by RJG »

devans99 wrote:I imagine spacetime surrounded by just 'nothing'. 'Nothing' has no existence so is not infinite.
This comes across as contradictory to me. In the first sentence you imply "nothing exists" (as it is specifically that, which "surrounds" something). And in the second sentence you say "nothing does not exist".

If "nothing does not exist", then how can it "surround" something? Either 'nothing' exists, or it doesn't exist, ...can't have it both ways.

devans99 wrote:I am firmly of the opinion that spacetime is finite. When space expands, it pushes back the boundaries of 'nothing'.
Again, if "nothing does not exist" then it can't border, bound, separate, or surround something.

devans99 wrote:I don't think space needs a larger container to expand into.
Remember, you are talking about a FINITE space here, which definitionally implies finite borders. If these finite borders exist nowhere, then they don't exist, and if they don't exist then neither do the contents within these finite borders.

devans99 wrote:I think the BB started as a finite region of space.
If so, then this implies:

1. The BB did not create space. There was 'space' before the BB. There was a 'place' for the BB to start and happen.

2. The BB did not create time. There was 'time' before the BB. There was a 'time' for the BB to start and happen.

devans99 wrote:So the BB did not create space?

The alternative, the Big Bang starting as an infinite, expanding region, is a logical minefield.
It is logically impossible [X<X] for the BB to create spacetime (and matter). Both time and space (and matter) must pre-exist "something happening somewhere" (matter-time-space). In other words, the BB, to be the BB, needs some-where to bang, and some-thing to bang, and some-time (beginning, during, and end) to bang. Without these 3 pre-existing ingredients, there could be no BB.

devans99 wrote:How can something infinite expand?
It can't. The story about an "expanding" universe is today's fiction, just as "flat earth" was yesterday's fiction.

The universe can only be infinite. This is the only solution that is logically coherent.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

RJG wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 2:41 pm
devans99 wrote:I imagine spacetime surrounded by just 'nothing'. 'Nothing' has no existence so is not infinite.
This comes across as contradictory to me. In the first sentence you imply "nothing exists" (as it is specifically that, which "surrounds" something). And in the second sentence you say "nothing does not exist".

If "nothing does not exist", then how can it "surround" something? Either 'nothing' exists, or it doesn't exist, ...can't have it both ways.

devans99 wrote:I am firmly of the opinion that spacetime is finite. When space expands, it pushes back the boundaries of 'nothing'.
Again, if "nothing does not exist" then it can't border, bound, separate, or surround something.

devans99 wrote:I don't think space needs a larger container to expand into.
Remember, you are talking about a FINITE space here, which definitionally implies finite borders. If these finite borders exist nowhere, then they don't exist, and if they don't exist then neither do the contents within these finite borders.

devans99 wrote:I think the BB started as a finite region of space.

1. The BB did not create space. There was 'space' before the BB. There was a 'place' for the BB to start and happen.

2. The BB did not create time. There was 'time' before the BB. There was a 'time' for the BB to start and happen.
"nothing existed before the BB," is perfectly consistent with my view of space. But it is a thing that needs no creation. Space IS nothing.
devans99 wrote:So the BB did not create space?

The alternative, the Big Bang starting as an infinite, expanding region, is a logical minefield.
It is logically impossible [X<X] for the BB to create spacetime (and matter). Both time and space (and matter) must pre-exist "something happening somewhere" (matter-time-space). In other words, the BB, to be the BB, needs some-where to bang, and some-thing to bang, and some-time (beginning, during, and end) to bang. Without these 3 pre-existing ingredients, there could be no BB.

It can't. The story about an "expanding" universe is today's fiction, just as "flat earth" was yesterday's fiction.

The universe can only be infinite. This is the only solution that is logically coherent.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:1. The BB did not create space. There was 'space' before the BB. There was a 'place' for the BB to start and happen.

Sculptor1 wrote:"nothing existed before the BB," is perfectly consistent with my view of space. But it is a thing that needs no creation. Space IS nothing.
So from your view point, only matter is real, and space and time are not real? They (space and time) are just human constructs to describe relative position/distance of matter existing in pure nothingness? Is this your correct view?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

RJG wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 5:16 pm
RJG wrote:1. The BB did not create space. There was 'space' before the BB. There was a 'place' for the BB to start and happen.

Sculptor1 wrote:"nothing existed before the BB," is perfectly consistent with my view of space. But it is a thing that needs no creation. Space IS nothing.
So from your view point, only matter is real, and space and time are not real? They (space and time) are just human constructs to describe relative position/distance of matter existing in pure nothingness? Is this your correct view?
Matter and Energy are of the same order of things.

Space and Time is about measure, not substance. They are real like "one" is real, or "a meter" is real.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Sculptor1 wrote:Matter and Energy are of the same order of things.

Space and Time is about measure, not substance. They are real like "one" is real, or "a meter" is real
Okay, so then has matter/energy always (infinitely) existed? ...or were they created by something (that did not yet exist)?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

RJG wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 6:08 pm

Space and Time is about measure, not substance. They are real like "one" is real, or "a meter" is real
Okay, so then has matter/energy always (infinitely) existed? ...or were they created by something (that did not yet exist)?
It is beyond the posssibility of empirical evidence to answer that question.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Space and Time is about measure, not substance. They are real like "one" is real, or "a meter" is real.
Sculptor1, I don't necessarily disagree with your view here. It appears to have viability (logically possible). Also, 'dimensions' (space and time) are a strange, seemingly man-made concept, not real themselves. So, regardless what science says, I might end up agreeing with you on this one.

RJG wrote:Okay, so then has matter/energy always (infinitely) existed? ...or were they created by something (that did not yet exist)?
Sculptor1 wrote:It is beyond the posssibility of empirical evidence to answer that question.
Although "empirically" we can't answer this question, but "logically" the answer is very clear. X<X is logically impossible. If matter/energy is all that truly exist, then it has always (infinitely) existed.

...which proves that 'infinity' is possible, and in fact unavoidable.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

RJG wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 7:40 am

Sculptor1, I don't necessarily disagree with your view here. It appears to have viability (logically possible). Also, 'dimensions' (space and time) are a strange, seemingly man-made concept, not real themselves. So, regardless what science says, I might end up agreeing with you on this one.

RJG wrote:Okay, so then has matter/energy always (infinitely) existed? ...or were they created by something (that did not yet exist)?
Sculptor1 wrote:It is beyond the posssibility of empirical evidence to answer that question.
Although "empirically" we can't answer this question, but "logically" the answer is very clear. X<X is logically impossible. If matter/energy is all that truly exist, then it has always (infinitely) existed.

...which proves that 'infinity' is possible, and in fact unavoidable.
Logic is always completely limited by the premises upon which it is built. Whilst the systems of logic may well be unimpeachably correct, the logic has to be worked upon something; knowledge, speculation, assertion.
We've tried to reach concensus on the origins of the universe. The logical process has been based on uniformitarianism and the limited understanding we have of the physical world around us. There are stil many mysteries concerning the most basic characteristics of the universe; "dark matter" being but one.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 10:46 am Things that travel faster than light are invisible; think about it!
Nothing can move at all at FTL
Nothing is moving FTL. It is because the very fabric of space is expanding that distance galaxies are receding from ours at FTL speeds (but receding is different from moving).
devans99

Post by devans99 »

RJG wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 2:41 pm This comes across as contradictory to me. In the first sentence you imply "nothing exists" (as it is specifically that, which "surrounds" something). And in the second sentence you say "nothing does not exist".

Space is finite and space is all that there is. So when I say space is 'surrounded' by nothing, its a figure of speech. There is just this finite, expanding, region of space and that is all - nothing else exists accept the finite region of space. The BB must have a cause and that cause must be external to spacetime. IE there is the timeless cause of the BB, but that is in some form of different existence outside all forms of time.

Before the BB, there was no space and no time. The BB created spacetime. Just think of a ballon and nothing else - as the ballon expands - space is created. The ballon does not need a container to exist in - it can just exist - simple.

The source of the matter/energy for the BB must be external to spacetime (the timeless environment I mentioned).

If space was not expanding, all the matter in the universe would likely be in one big black hole by now - the expansion of space is the only thing that is preventing a gravitational collapse.
subatomic

Post by subatomic »

If we reduce the length of our actually infinite brick to finite length, then we have a finite length brick with a left end but no right end. But such a brick cannot possibly exist - if it has no right end, it has no middle (because the middle would count as the right end) and if it has no right end, it cannot have a left end either (as the left end would also count as the right end) - so the brick cannot exist.
If the brick were on a 2D coordinate plane then one end of the brick would be negative of the x axis, and then the other side would be on the positive end and infinitely extend. And, this is only countable infinity.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream