Encountering your own flame

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Steve3007

Re: Encountering your own flame

Post by Steve3007 »

I've had friends with 1000cc bikes who were trying to figure out if they could top out higher than 187mph, there's a computer on a lot of them that cuts throttle at that point.
OK. Thanks.

Anyway, my advice: quit your job and either travel round the world a bit or do some carpentry. What's the worst that could happen? You don't have any dependent kids, right?
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Steve3007 wrote: September 9th, 2020, 5:48 pm Anyway, my advice: quit your job and either travel round the world a bit or do some carpentry. What's the worst that could happen? You don't have any dependent kids, right?
Yeah, taking a good vacation might not be a bad idea when bat flu season's over. Glacier and Yellowstone might be a plan.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Papus79 wrote:Yeah, taking a good vacation might not be a bad idea when bat flu season's over. Glacier and Yellowstone might be a plan.
It's probably a cliche, but I think occasionally seeing a different part of the world from the tiny part in which most of us scuttle backwards and forwards in our daily lives is the most effective way to remind us of the insignificance of any worries we may have about things like work.

I almost got to see Yellowstone when I took my kids to Wyoming to see the eclipse 3 years ago, but it was too long a drive and they would have got too bored. The prospect of driving right across a state which is as big as the entire country in which we live to see the Earth burping wasn't something I could sell to them. We went to see Mount Rushmore instead. They were unimpressed by that too. Kids eh.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Steve3007 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 3:54 am
Papus79 wrote:Yeah, taking a good vacation might not be a bad idea when bat flu season's over. Glacier and Yellowstone might be a plan.
It's probably a cliche, but I think occasionally seeing a different part of the world from the tiny part in which most of us scuttle backwards and forwards in our daily lives is the most effective way to remind us of the insignificance of any worries we may have about things like work.

I almost got to see Yellowstone when I took my kids to Wyoming to see the eclipse 3 years ago, but it was too long a drive and they would have got too bored. The prospect of driving right across a state which is as big as the entire country in which we live to see the Earth burping wasn't something I could sell to them. We went to see Mount Rushmore instead. They were unimpressed by that too. Kids eh.
Yeah, if one doesn't love desolate desert wildernesses and tend to think that they're starkly beautiful--and most kids aren't likely to think that, then Wyoming (and Nevada and New Mexico etc. etc.) is sure not an ideal state to drive through. I love desolate desert wildernesses and that's one of my favorite areas of the U.S.--the "interior West." But insofar as national parks go, most of Yellowstone has relatively subtle charms, and it's huge. There are the famous exceptions, including Mammoth Hot Springs, and you're pretty much guaranteed to see some bison if you drive around the park for even half a day, but even something like Old Faithful can result in a good 90 minute wait once you get there. So unless it's a kid who loves natural areas, who probably likes hiking, camping, etc. Yellowstone is unlikely to thrill them, unfortunately.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:...So unless it's a kid who loves natural areas, who probably likes hiking, camping, etc. Yellowstone is unlikely to thrill them, unfortunately.
Yes. I've always loved hiking and camping and I inflict it on my kids, in the National Parks of England and Wales, whenever I can, in the hope of somehow brainwashing them into liking it too. It hasn't worked yet. It also probably didn't help that we'd recently flown in from NYC and it was the first time they'd been there. They loved that. The contrast couldn't have been much greater. It was the furthest west I've yet been in the US. Hoping to see the 2024 eclipse from Niagara. Perhaps we'll drive up from New York.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Steve3007 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 8:33 am
Terrapin Station wrote:...So unless it's a kid who loves natural areas, who probably likes hiking, camping, etc. Yellowstone is unlikely to thrill them, unfortunately.
Yes. I've always loved hiking and camping and I inflict it on my kids, in the National Parks of England and Wales, whenever I can, in the hope of somehow brainwashing them into liking it too. It hasn't worked yet. It also probably didn't help that we'd recently flown in from NYC and it was the first time they'd been there. They loved that. The contrast couldn't have been much greater. It was the furthest west I've yet been in the US. Hoping to see the 2024 eclipse from Niagara. Perhaps we'll drive up from New York.
Unless we can get kids to love nature I fear we are heading into an Asmovian nightware of "Caves of Steel".
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

nightmare!! Not nightware.
Dreams not pyjamas
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Sculptor1 wrote:nightmare!! Not nightware.
Dreams not pyjamas
:D :D :D
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Steve3007 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 8:33 am
Niagara Falls is great. Kids are more likely to enjoy there. It's a pretty long drive from NYC to Niagara Falls--a good seven hours or even longer, depending on traffic and how fast you drive (it typically takes me 8 hours or so), but it's a nice drive for the most part either way you go--either heading to Scranton PA, first, Binghamton NY (which is a normal route if you go to Scranton first as well), or up to Albany NY first (and there are many different possible routes from any of those cities, too).

There are a lot of hills/mountains/forests on the way, you pass through some cities/developed areas, so it's not all just nature scenery all the way, there's some variety, and there are plenty of other attractions to see on the way, too.

If you have enough time while at Niagara, if you're on the Canadian side, Toronto is also only about a 2 hour drive. While at Niagara, again if you're on the Canadian side, don't overlook the Whirlpool Aero Car, and the Whirlpool Jet Boat tours are a lot of fun. Of course, at the Falls, you need to do the Maid of the Mist, and don't overlook the behind the Falls tour. It's also cool if you've never seen river locks in action to head up to the Carlton Street Bridge in nearby St. Catherines (if you're a Rush fan at all, St. Catherines/Port Dalhousie is where Neil Peart was born and raised--Lakeside Park is right on Lake Ontario in Port Dalhousie; if it's a clear day you can make out Toronto across the lake from Port Dalhousie). If you stay on the New York side, there's a bunch of stuff to do, too, and they have a couple great parks with hiking trails, etc. that the Canadian side doesn't have. But there are more attractions on the Canadian side.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Steve3007 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 3:54 am
Might be a cliche but it's not wrong either. I spent a few weeks last year (glad I squeezed it in!) from Banff through Jasper over to Victoria and Vancouver. I loaded up on what I hoped were really some good propaganda pictures to get my friends out there camping at Two Jack in a few years. Also if I am able to arrange that second trip I do have something that I, irritatingly at the time, wasn't able to do which is climb up to all three lakes at Lake Louis - the tour bus gave us 1 hour and 20 minutes, not even enough time to hike up to the second lake.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

As far as some of the other travel ideas - if I ever have a chance to hit Europe the Dolomites, Bavaria, etc. would be awesome, seeing the Klementinum in Prague would be great, hitting the Canary Islands would be great, I would have ranked rather highly getting to London to a Drum N Bass Area, Renegade Hardware, Exit, Cylon/Xtinction Agenda event night would have been a high priority but it seems like a lot of that's washing out again and alas - Fabric's closed.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:Niagara Falls is great. Kids are more likely to enjoy there. It's a pretty long drive from NYC to Niagara Falls...
Thanks for all the advice. Maybe we'll stop somewhere halfway. It sounds like there'll be plenty to do when we get there. The only other time I've ever traveled across NY State was to go to a work-related conference in Rochester and that time I flew.

I did once see a Rush gig, in Birmingham (England). Can't say I'm a fan though. A friend made me go.
Papus79 wrote:I spent a few weeks last year (glad I squeezed it in!) from Banff through Jasper over to Victoria and Vancouver. I loaded up on what I hoped were really some good propaganda pictures to get my friends out there camping at Two Jack in a few years. Also if I am able to arrange that second trip I do have something that I, irritatingly at the time, wasn't able to do which is climb up to all three lakes at Lake Louis - the tour bus gave us 1 hour and 20 minutes, not even enough time to hike up to the second lake.
Sounds good though. So you said CV, not resume, because you're Canadian! :)
As far as some of the other travel ideas - if I ever have a chance to hit Europe the Dolomites, Bavaria, etc. would be awesome, seeing the Klementinum in Prague would be great, hitting the Canary Islands would be great, I would have ranked rather highly getting to London to a Drum N Bass Area, Renegade Hardware, Exit, Cylon/Xtinction Agenda event night would have been a high priority but it seems like a lot of that's washing out again and alas - Fabric's closed.
I've worked in London but can't say I know much about the Drum n Bass scene. I've been to Tenerife in the Canaries (ex girlfriend worked there as a teacher). The volcano (Teide) is worth seeing and they have a fantastic Mardi Gras celebration. Or at least they used to back in pre-Covid times. If you happened to want to go hiking in the UK (unlikely I guess) I recommend the Coast to Coast walk across northern England. About 200 miles. Through 3 national parks, from Irish Sea to North Sea. I did it years ago and loved it. Or if you want to get very, very wet try the West Highland Way in Scotland.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Steve3007 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:47 am Sounds good though. So you said CV, not resume, because you're Canadian! :)
Trickier I suppose - I'm in the great lakes area of the US, and I've increasingly heard people around me saying 'cv' instead of 'resume'. I suppose that would mean that I'm in a region where we're more impressionable to certain vocabulary, although the 'ey's and 'prohsess's still strike an odd angle and aren't likely to be picked up.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Papus79 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:51 am
Steve3007 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:47 am Sounds good though. So you said CV, not resume, because you're Canadian! :)
Trickier I suppose - I'm in the great lakes area of the US, and I've increasingly heard people around me saying 'cv' instead of 'resume'. I suppose that would mean that I'm in a region where we're more impressionable to certain vocabulary, although the 'ey's and 'prohsess's still strike an odd angle and aren't likely to be picked up.
Resume is a poor description for a CV. Sounds more like soup you have after the maincourse.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I googled it (because I'm quite interested in variations in word usages) and apparently in North America generally "CV" tends to be used to mean a much longer version of a resume. I'd previously thought that "CV" wasn't used at all, at least in the US, and "resume" was the only word used. So now I know.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream