Yes, I Could Have Done Otherwise

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Re: Yes, I Could Have Done Otherwise

Post by chewybrian »

Terrapin Station wrote: October 4th, 2020, 7:35 am Oops--I see you already said you grew up in a strongly Catholic culture. Still wondering if you're older than I am, though.

Regarding religion, I was brought up rather unusually in that I had more or less no notion of any religious ideas until I was around 15 or 16. And then when I finally learned something about religions, I was like--"Wait, you believe what??" I thought it was some sort of practical joke at first.
I'm actually a couple years younger. However, Mark Twain allegedly said that if the world was about to end, he would want to be in Cincinnati, as everything happens twenty years later there.

The religious scene is one more good example of what I was getting at above. In my head, I didn't buy what was being sold, but especially not the things that went against the very words of Jesus that were supposed to be the backbone of the whole thing. For example, my Mom was shunned from the church because she was divorced, though I was still expected to go to CCD classes, as I might possibly have been saved. But, Jesus hung out with thieves and hookers and said they could all be saved, so there was a serious inconsistency that was evident to me at a very young age. Yet, I was not actively speaking out against the church, as I thought I would be an outcast if I did. Again, the outside world did not shape my essence, but only repressed it, or encouraged me to repress it. My deeply held ideas of right and wrong were still my own.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Syamsu wrote: October 4th, 2020, 5:56 am As you already know, the concept of choice can only function, with the agency of the choice being a matter of chosen opinion.

There must be freedom in identifying the agency of a choice, in order to preserve the freedom in the concept of choice. As is obvious.

Your argumentation makes no sense because you seek to make everything cause and effect, while proposing a mechanism which is not cause and effect. While your mechanism of choosing appears consistent with what cause and effect does, the mechanism itself is not cause and effect. So then really, you throw out cause and effect just the same, as when you would propose a mechanism of choosing which was not similar to what cause and effect does.

One only needs to combine cause and effect, with possibility and decision, and not make possibility and decision into something similar as cause and effect. A universe where both cause and effect, and possibility and decision, are real.

And the obvious solution would be that a cause and effect belong together as one thing chosen.

I choose to fire the gun, the cause is the gun firing, the effect is someone get's shot.

The agency of this choice, be it hate, joy, love, whatever, is categorically a matter of chosen opinion what it is.
1. Freedom, to be meaningful, must reference some meaningful constraint. A bird is set free (from its cage). We enjoy freedom of speech (free of political censorship). I made this choice of my own free will (free of coercion and undue influence). Universal causal necessity/inevitability is not a meaningful constraint, because it is exactly identical to us just being us, doing what we do, and choosing what we choose.

2. The question, "what caused this?", is what makes everything a matter of cause and effect. Even if we never discover the cause of an event, we are drawn to the belief that there is a cause, because knowledge of the cause of an event gives us some control over the event. For example, knowing that a virus causes polio, and knowing that the body's immune system can be primed to fight that virus by vaccination, has given us control over that disease.

3. But the notion of "cause and effect" is not a cause. It is simply a way to organize events in a natural sequence. We push the cue stick into the cue ball, causing it to hit the 8 ball at an angle that causes the 8 ball to roll into the corner pocket. Cause and effect did not do that. We did. The notion of causation simply links the events. Only actual objects and forces can cause events. I was an object that applied force to the cue stick, which is the object that hit the cue ball, which is the object that hit the 8 ball, which it the object that rolled into the final object, the corner pocket.

4. Reasoning is a causal mechanism that allows the person to choose what they will do. Reasoning is not physical or biological causation, but rather it is rational causation. This is where free will appears.
Syamsu

Post by Syamsu »

It's just aberrant reasoning, trying to avoid the obvious truth of creationism. Only the subjective and spiritual has the power to choose, by logic.

Reasoning mainly consists of facts and opinions. Opinions in reference to the agency of a choice, the spiritual, and facts in reference to chosen things, material.

There is freedom throughout the universe, meaning objects have several alternative futures available which way they can turn out, and any of them is made the present. Only that way makes sense from an information perspective, that new information is generated on the go. Not all information is unpacked, it is also new, by choice.

A cue ball is not an actual object? You are an actual object? Twisting things, to avoid the obvious truth.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Syamsu wrote: October 5th, 2020, 8:31 am It's just aberrant reasoning, trying to avoid the obvious truth of creationism. Only the subjective and spiritual has the power to choose, by logic.
Why would creationism have any impact though? Even if we're not in a 4-D block universe where past, present and future are already written in the literal sense we're still in a place with 4 coordinates where we don't double-back over them. I think the only thing that might have a more complex relationship with time is scanning that our deeper faculties do (one could call that subconscious processes) but that doesn't actually eliminate determinism rather it just augments the pool of information at least instinctually available to you at any given moment.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Papus79 wrote: October 5th, 2020, 9:00 am
Syamsu wrote: October 5th, 2020, 8:31 am It's just aberrant reasoning, trying to avoid the obvious truth of creationism. Only the subjective and spiritual has the power to choose, by logic.
Why would creationism have any impact though? Even if we're not in a 4-D block universe where past, present and future are already written in the literal sense we're still in a place with 4 coordinates where we don't double-back over them.
One minor tweak - we could theoretically double back over spatial coordinates, although that's tricky with the expansion of the universe and spiraling of our solar system in a given direction. Time is the one coordinate we can't make any backward or return motion on and this, in my mind at least, locks in the causal coordinates both within and outside of ourselves to what we end up doing (no matter how subtle or complex those dynamics are).
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Papus79 wrote:Why would creationism have any impact though?
Note: When Syamsu uses the word "creationism" he doesn't use it in the same sense that many people use the word "Creationism". He has a long history, going back many many years, of coming here to say exactly the same thing over and over again about choosing.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Steve3007 wrote: October 5th, 2020, 9:28 am Note: When Syamsu uses the word "creationism" he doesn't use it in the same sense that many people use the word "Creationism". He has a long history, going back many many years, of coming here to say exactly the same thing over and over again about choosing.
Ah, so it's probably something much more anodyne with a good attention hook. TY.
Syamsu

Post by Syamsu »

Creationist conceptual scheme:
1. Creator / chooses / spiritual / identity of which is a matter of chosen opinion
2. Creation / chosen / material / existence of which is a matter fact forced by evidence

It's standard generic creationism, without the specifics of who created what, when, filed in. It shows creationism validates the concepts of subjective opinion, like beauty, and objective fact, like the size of the earth, in separate categories, each in their own right. All the rest of philosophies only validate the concept of fact, not opinion.

Your ideas, Papus79, are obviously ideosyncratic selfserving nonsense. Creationism is the straightforward way.
Syamsu

Post by Syamsu »

Steve3007 wrote: October 5th, 2020, 9:28 am
Papus79 wrote:Why would creationism have any impact though?
Note: When Syamsu uses the word "creationism" he doesn't use it in the same sense that many people use the word "Creationism". He has a long history, going back many many years, of coming here to say exactly the same thing over and over again about choosing.
I use the word creationism in a generic sense, descrining the underlying structure of a creation theory. Without filling in the specifics of who created what when.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

We are reactionary creatures as something larger than ourselves, thus there is no human action. There is but reaction. Do we have the ability to choose our reactions, it is Not really possible to know, but unlikely. The complexity of the possiblities is beyond our limited capacity know. One thing is certain, one cannot, NOT react, for even a decided inaction is a reaction to one's environment. Even breathing is not an action proper, it is but a reaction to lack, to a need, reaction is our partisapation within that larger whole. I could have done otherwise, is a nonsense statement, but you did react, in NOT doing otherwise. The next time you are puzzled by someone's behaviour/s ask your self, what is he/she reacting to. To think they are DOING, and they are unmodivated to do so, is just silly. Could I have done otherwise, what might you be reacting to, to do so? Then you must look out at the spectrum of the cosmos for your answer.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

The problem with thinking about the issue of decision making (as opposed to observing decision making), is the error of assuming that real decisions are arrived at through either pure, reproducible logic or that the physical characteristics of molecules and electrical charges within the brain are reproducible.
"As usual... it depends."
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

LuckyR,
That is to say that decisions are emergent qualities but, the source drawn upon is close to infinite.
Hans-Werner Hammen

Post by Hans-Werner Hammen »

As an Epiphenomenalist I assert that so called "properties" do not exist - they are no-thing made up FROM/ABOUT some-thing and they are merely mat(r)erial-ized via an assertion OF the property.

I assert that, for two examples, the property called "freewilledness" and the property called "determinedness" of some-thing / of somebody do not exist.
All that DOES exist on this occasion, is the assertion OF freewilledness and-, or versus-, the assertion OF determinedness.

Now, the thing is, there might, on some occasions, the assertion of freewilledness be- (DEEMED to be that is!) quite useful = true, while on some other occasion the assertion of determinedness is (ie is DEEMED to be!) useful = true.

This assertion is (DEEMED by me!) to resolve the assertion of a non-reconciliable dichotomy

I assert that by FAR more often than not, the symbol "truth" simply symbolizes "usefulness"

Truth and usefulness as such, they are imaginary. We all know well the assertion "truth is in the eye of the beholder" which symbolizes to me "is individually fabricated, is neither provable nor refutable, is a property = the imaginary, can only be asserted"
Kind regards from GERMANY!
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 30th, 2020, 12:47 am As an Epiphenomenalist I assert that so called "properties" do not exist - they are no-thing made up FROM/ABOUT some-thing and they are merely mat(r)erial-ized via an assertion OF the property.

I assert that, for two examples, the property called "freewilledness" and the property called "determinedness" of some-thing / of somebody do not exist.
All that DOES exist on this occasion, is the assertion OF freewilledness and-, or versus-, the assertion OF determinedness.

Now, the thing is, there might, on some occasions, the assertion of freewilledness be- (DEEMED to be that is!) quite useful = true, while on some other occasion the assertion of determinedness is (ie is DEEMED to be!) useful = true.

This assertion is (DEEMED by me!) to resolve the assertion of a non-reconciliable dichotomy

I assert that by FAR more often than not, the symbol "truth" simply symbolizes "usefulness"

Truth and usefulness as such, they are imaginary. We all know well the assertion "truth is in the eye of the beholder" which symbolizes to me "is individually fabricated, is neither provable nor refutable, is a property = the imaginary, can only be asserted"
Kind regards from GERMANY!
If you want to substitute "useful" for "truth", I don't have a problem with that. But it has no useful difference in day to day life.
"As usual... it depends."
Hans-Werner Hammen

Post by Hans-Werner Hammen »

LuckyR wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:01 amIf you want to substitute "useful" for "truth", I don't have a problem with that. But it has no useful difference in day to day life.
I could but forgive me I cannot...

Substantiv: True-NESS = truth = useful-NESS
Particip: true = useful

An assertion OF truth = OF trueness is deemed to be true or not, useful or not

Substantiv: Truth = Wahr-GENOMMEN-heit = observed-ness = Wahr-heit = true-ness
Partizip: True = wahr

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream