Why 1 + 1 does not equal 2

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Atla

Re: Why 1 + 1 does not equal 2

Post by Atla »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 29th, 2020, 9:37 am yawn...
and kindest cigars and very best dishes to your friend Deepak!
Actually in Western philosophy I think it was that guy from your country, Kant, who was one of the major figures arguing for representationalism. Later, 20th century science and psychology thoroughly established it to be the case. Today you're the guy who hangs out with Deepak.
True philosophy points to the Moon
Hans-Werner Hammen

Post by Hans-Werner Hammen »

Atla wrote: December 29th, 2020, 9:50 am Actually in Western philosophy I think it was that guy from your country, Kant, who was one of the major figures arguing for representationalism. Later, 20th century science and psychology thoroughly established it to be the case. Today you're the guy who hangs out with Deepak.
Actually I am an Epiphenomenalist. Deepak would be disgusted to put it mildly.
As regards SIre I.Kant, I highly appreciated that he effectively declared space and time for imaginary, and I vividly regret that I can not talk to him. Sure is, he would be disgusted that I declared he's god for yet another Reference = imaginary non causal inside-brain-effect = mere-symptom of the activity in the brain = epiphenomenon
Atla

Post by Atla »

Naive realism combined with epiphenomenalism? :D
True philosophy points to the Moon
Hans-Werner Hammen

Atla wrote: December 29th, 2020, 10:04 am Naive realism combined with epiphenomenalism? :D
Pssssssst... don't tell nobody...
I do not now what "naive realism" means
All that I know is that the brain allocates the imaginary (inside brain effect = Reference) where the Referent is (outside the brain) but again I do not know HOW the brain does THIS
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 29th, 2020, 10:15 am All that I know is that the brain allocates the imaginary (inside brain effect = Reference) where the Referent is (outside the brain) but again I do not know HOW the brain does THIS
I think the battle over a lot of these world views is social clique vs. social clique, like or disgust for one view of consciousness over another has more to do with which figurehead is behind it, more about its social consequences than it's fundamental coherence, it's a bit like choosing a tribe in an MMORPG based on whose outfits are the most stylish or have the reputation for being the most aggressive. Almost no one's 'really' trying to figure much out past that and those who are, in trying to convey it to others, have to realize that what they're doing is a maladaptive fetish in other people's eyes - that is caring about truth at all past social utility and whether it helps one socially climb or get their genes into the next generation.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Papus79 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 10:50 am
Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 29th, 2020, 10:15 am All that I know is that the brain allocates the imaginary (inside brain effect = Reference) where the Referent is (outside the brain) but again I do not know HOW the brain does THIS
I think the battle over a lot of these world views is social clique vs. social clique, like or disgust for one view of consciousness over another has more to do with which figurehead is behind it, more about its social consequences than it's fundamental coherence, it's a bit like choosing a tribe in an MMORPG based on whose outfits are the most stylish or have the reputation for being the most aggressive. Almost no one's 'really' trying to figure much out past that and those who are, in trying to convey it to others, have to realize that what they're doing is a maladaptive fetish in other people's eyes - that is caring about truth at all past social utility and whether it helps one socially climb or get their genes into the next generation.
Yes, that makes perfect sense. Now if only Trump could express it that way maybe the courts and the public would understand why there is voter fraud with no evidence and why Trump has really won the
2020 election.
The unintelligent public can not understand the philosophy of denying reality and creating your own reality - Was it not in the classic dystopian novel "1984" where we were told if the state says
2 + 2 = 5 then 2 + 2 = 5. And why is it that so many people who are supposedly intelligent will accept that if 'Big Brother' {Donald Trump} says that he won the election and the numbers are all fraud, they will accept that he won the election :?:

Sometimes playing with what is known of reality, even the symbols of reality, as if it is philosophical game can be very dangerous :!:

If you are willing to accept that 1 + 1 do not equal 2, then why not accept that Donald Trump won election 2020 even if had less votes then his opponent in both popular and electoral numbers :?:
Hans-Werner Hammen

UniversalAlien wrote: December 31st, 2020, 3:49 am The unintelligent public can not understand the philosophy of denying reality and creating your own reality -

Was it not in the classic dystopian novel "1984" where we were told if the state says 2 + 2 = 5 then 2 + 2 = 5.

And why is it that so many people who are supposedly intelligent will accept that if 'Big Brother' {Donald Trump} says that he won the election and the numbers are all fraud, they will accept that he won the election :?:

Sometimes playing with what is known of reality, even the symbols of reality, as if it is philosophical game can be very dangerous :!:

If you are willing to accept that 1 + 1 do not equal 2, then why not accept that Donald Trump won election 2020 even if had less votes then his opponent in both popular and electoral numbers :?:
The assertion "1 + 1 = 2" is there, bcz someone said so in the first place. And, when everybody agreed, the assertion was or became extreeeeeemely useful.The assertion of a societal agreement was at the root of the usefulness of the assertion.
Had someone asserted "1 + 1 = 3" in the first place, everybody would have agreed, and the assertion would have become useful and the assertion "1 + 1 = 2" would be (be deemed) "false"
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

UniversalAlien wrote: December 31st, 2020, 3:49 am Yes, that makes perfect sense. Now if only Trump could express it that way maybe the courts and the public would understand why there is voter fraud with no evidence and why Trump has really won the
2020 election.
Regrettably I'm neck deep in family and friends who watch News Max. The harsh side of this - while there's no way there was enough voter fraud to win Trump the election Pennsylvania and Michigan were particularly egregious. If Biden should have won anyway they handed Trump a huge excuse to chase this thing out through January. I think if a state does commit voter fraud both parties should make an example of them rather than egging them on if it helps 'their guy win'. The world is filled with countries who can't handle free and open elections, we really shouldn't want to have that or much else in common with them.
UniversalAlien wrote: December 31st, 2020, 3:49 amThe unintelligent public can not understand the philosophy of denying reality and creating your own reality - Was it not in the classic dystopian novel "1984" where we were told if the state says
2 + 2 = 5 then 2 + 2 = 5. And why is it that so many people who are supposedly intelligent will accept that if 'Big Brother' {Donald Trump} says that he won the election and the numbers are all fraud, they will accept that he won the election :?:
It's the same way we've watched both sides take turns saying one to the other 'Russia!', reply 'Conspiracy!'. 'Muh team is perfect, yours is evil - cuz they're the Steelers!'. IMHO these are gibbering apes, I'm not sure I'd put them in charge of a driveway lemonade stand.

What I actually had in mind with this comment in part as well though - people's conclusions about 'consciousness in matter' has far more to do with their personal style, or at least their moral prohibitions, than it does having actually coherent ideas. A lot of people who proclaim 'I'm a materialist' or 'I'm a physicalist' quite often will make all kinds of claims that push consciousness down the chain far enough, or by trying to dismiss it make it ubiquitous, that it's a bit like saying 'Yess.... I'll admit it if my life depends on it... I'm a panpsychist but I really really hate doped-up hippies, and I shower, and I work, and I'm not perpetually stoned on acid or posting new age enlightenment memes, so don't you dare call me that - I'm a man of science and reason so call me something more socially authoritative and better, because...well... just look at me - I don't have Birkenstocks and a man-bun!'.

That sort of thing is just what human apes do. Reputation uber alis, conformity uber alis, social climbing uber-alis. Image is everything.
UniversalAlien wrote: December 31st, 2020, 3:49 amSometimes playing with what is known of reality, even the symbols of reality, as if it is philosophical game can be very dangerous :!:

Or that epistemic sufficiency and science are 'whiteness' and that you 'can't tear down the master's house with the master's tools'.

I think woke is trying to describe what's come to be called Wetiko in Native American and subsequently new age circles, it's better referred to as Darwinian game theory taking up a life of its own and telling us who to be in order to not be eaten alive by our fellow man.

There was another thread where I brought up the issue of people not wanting to get into the mess of actually fixing problems, it's way too much work, and far more gratifying to just have a good witch hunt (ie. open a can of Rene Girard's scapegoating). It's part of why tribalism and single-issue utopian fixes are far more popular, probably always will be, than the complex systems person speaking nerd-ese and trying to account for all of the angles.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 31st, 2020, 9:56 am
The assertion "1 + 1 = 2" is there, bcz someone said so in the first place. And, when everybody agreed, the assertion was or became extreeeeeemely useful.The assertion of a societal agreement was at the root of the usefulness of the assertion.
Had someone asserted "1 + 1 = 3" in the first place, everybody would have agreed, and the assertion would have become useful and the assertion "1 + 1 = 2" would be (be deemed) "false"
Not quite that simple. It worked because that mathematical paradigm worked - And not only for one equation that 1 plus 1 equals 2 - It becomes part of a mathematical system that works more often than not.

Before Einstein's Relativity Theory Newtonian Theory was fine, and often still works in most circumstances
- Einstein trumped Newton and other paradigms of the then valid science.

If you could develop a system where 1 + 1 = 3 and then fit it into system of math and logic that consistenlhy works then yes 1 + 1 could equal 3. But consider you would be altering all of perceptual and intellectual reality. Yes, I do consider and believe there is no absolute reality - But a reality where one plus one equals three is hard to imagine even with my broad sense of imaginable realities. :roll:
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Papus79 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:29 am
..........There was another thread where I brought up the issue of people not wanting to get into the mess of actually fixing problems, it's way too much work, and far more gratifying to just have a good witch hunt (ie. open a can of Rene Girard's scapegoating). It's part of why tribalism and single-issue utopian fixes are far more popular, probably always will be, than the complex systems person speaking nerd-ese and trying to account for all of the angles.
True - But it's somewhat more complicated.
Consider all the angles to any problem and many solutions may appear, some better than others
and which are the better solutions are still relative to who wants what solution for what reason.

"single-issue utopian fixes" may work for some but not others
- And how often will the utopian fix turn into a dystopian nightmare {ie. Stalinist style Communism}

Flash forward to now and US politics still requires dividing the country into Liberals and Conservatives
Some {including me} believe this is deliberate - Keeping the politicians at endless war with each other so little of value can be done - And when solutions occur neither side is happy with the solution.
Another reason why "why tribalism and single-issue utopian fixes are far more popular".
Hans-Werner Hammen

UniversalAlien wrote: December 31st, 2020, 7:39 pm Not quite that simple. It worked because that mathematical paradigm worked - And not only for one equation that 1 plus 1 equals 2 - It becomes part of a mathematical system that works more often than not.

Before Einstein's Relativity Theory Newtonian Theory was fine, and often still works in most circumstances
- Einstein trumped Newton and other paradigms of the then valid science.

If you could develop a system where 1 + 1 = 3 and then fit it into system of math and logic that consistenlhy works then yes 1 + 1 could equal 3. But consider you would be altering all of perceptual and intellectual reality. Yes, I do consider and believe there is no absolute reality - But a reality where one plus one equals three is hard to imagine even with my broad sense of imaginable realities. :roll:
I disagree. It would take BUT a proclaimed order of symbols of numbers, of 1, 3, 2, 4 and so forth -
and 1 + 1 = 3 as well as 1 + 3 = 2 and so forth would be correct on the spot.
In other words your thought process was WAYZZZZ ! too complicated, and it missed a very simple point namely the arbitrary order of manmade symbols.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 31st, 2020, 8:19 pm
I disagree. It would take BUT a proclaimed order of symbols of numbers, of 1, 3, 2, 4 and so forth -
and 1 + 1 = 3 as well as 1 + 3 = 2 and so forth would be correct on the spot.
In other words your thought process was WAYZZZZ ! too complicated, and it missed a very simple point namely the arbitrary order of manmade symbols.
That is what I meant: "If you could develop a system where 1 + 1 = 3 and then fit it into system of math and logic that consistently works then yes 1 + 1 could equal 3."

BUT - Even with current accepted math we already do have a reality where 1 + 1 = 3.
Biological reproduction produces a one plus one equals three {or more}.
Since mathematical symbols developed out of Human perceptions of reality,
some circumstance do in fact yield 1 + 1 = 3 :idea:
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Quick question for anyone whose claiming that integers aren't a real thing:

Are you familiar at all with the Riemann hypothesis? If so Do you have any thoughts on how the works of Gauss, Euler, and Reimann lead us to such a circuitous thing as finding prime numbers by packing complex numbers into Euler's zeta function?
Anupam
New Trial Member

Post by Anupam »

In ur opinion 1=1 false empirically. -true
In reality we can't measure everything so details we have to take approximation. Example- π(pi)
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

impermanence wrote: December 7th, 2020, 12:15 pm Reality is a slippery slope indeed. And assumptions are just that. It seems unlikely that the first math equation we are taught, 1 + 1 = 2, is only correct under a specific set of assumptions that are easily proven false.

I believe everyone reading this can agree that all points in the Universe are unique, that is, each occupies a space that is subject to unique forces. Therefore, each object, no matter how similar it may appear to another, is not similar.

Therefore, how can "2" of anything exist?
Counting something and counting another something which seemingly makes 1 + 1 = 2, is merely a process of reality instead of an answer to something. For example, combining two water droplets to make 1 + 1 = 1 is also a process of reality and not an answer. Everything is a process of existence, and there is no set answer because there are so many ways to interpret what "1" is..

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream