Do I have to trust past experience because past experience tells me that?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
znajd
New Trial Member

Do I have to trust past experience because past experience tells me that?

Post by znajd »

If the only reason to use past experience (memories/knowledge) for making decisions as to what to do, is because that experience shows me it worked most of the time and that it's the only thing I have for that, then does it really mean I have to use it for making decisions?

And if yes, is there any other way of saying this, other than "I have to trust past experience because past experience tells me that"?
Jack D Ripper

Re: Do I have to trust past experience because past experience tells me that?

Post by Jack D Ripper »

Yes, you do have to do this. It is instinctual and unavoidable. Even if it cannot be rationally justified.

If you have not read An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding by David Hume, you might want to do so. He discusses this issue.

https://oll.libertyfund.org/title/bigge ... -of-morals
"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence." - David Hume
Fellowmater

Post by Fellowmater »

David Hume has explained everything about this concern. Also, if you think about it more, in most situation, we always follow our past experience to make sure we won't be making the same mistakes, it's been always like that, even people that are so adventurous still follows their previous experience and instinct before deciding what to do.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

znajd wrote:If the only reason to use past experience (memories/knowledge) for making decisions as to what to do, is because that experience shows me it worked most of the time and that it's the only thing I have for that, then does it really mean I have to use it for making decisions?
No, you don't have to. You could toss a coin or roll dice.
And if yes, is there any other way of saying this, other than "I have to trust past experience because past experience tells me that"?
Yes, there is. You could say that you're using the method called Induction. That is, proposing that a pattern you've observed will continue in instances not yet observed.

You don't necessarily have to call it "trust". You could see it in more practical terms and just say that it's a method you use to get through life because it seems to work. If it stops working (i.e. if the world suddenly becomes entirely chaotic and unpredictable), I guess you'll stop using it.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

znajd wrote: December 16th, 2020, 6:27 pm If the only reason to use past experience (memories/knowledge) for making decisions as to what to do, is because that experience shows me it worked most of the time and that it's the only thing I have for that, then does it really mean I have to use it for making decisions?

You don't have to trust past experience or induction in general, of course.

But what's your alternative and what justification are you using for the alternative? That needs to be considered.
znajd
New Trial Member

Post by znajd »

I'll go ahead and leave some of my notes here:
I have to trust concious decisions that use arguments based on past experience (memories/knowledge).
I cannot deny it, because to do that I would have to trust a concious decision that uses arguments based on experience.
Even if I had only the current reality (what I'm currently experiencing), then why care about doing anything else than trusting my concious decisions?
At the current moment in time I am either:
a) meditating, just taking what's happening in, what I see and how I feel
b) trusting my concious decisions based on past experience
[trying to answer the question above takes me from a to b]

Feel free if you have anything interesting to add
znajd
New Trial Member

Post by znajd »

Steve3007 wrote: December 17th, 2020, 7:10 am No, you don't have to. You could toss a coin or roll dice.
But to make the concious decision to use a coin flip, I would have to use past experience to determine that I should do it, no?
Jack D Ripper

Post by Jack D Ripper »

Steve3007 wrote: December 17th, 2020, 7:10 am
znajd wrote:If the only reason to use past experience (memories/knowledge) for making decisions as to what to do, is because that experience shows me it worked most of the time and that it's the only thing I have for that, then does it really mean I have to use it for making decisions?
No, you don't have to. You could toss a coin or roll dice.

If you were tossing a coin or rolling dice, you would be using past experience to do those things, so you are still not getting away from past experience.

Steve3007 wrote: December 17th, 2020, 7:10 am
Yes, there is. You could say that you're using the method called Induction. That is, proposing that a pattern you've observed will continue in instances not yet observed.

You don't necessarily have to call it "trust". You could see it in more practical terms and just say that it's a method you use to get through life because it seems to work. If it stops working (i.e. if the world suddenly becomes entirely chaotic and unpredictable), I guess you'll stop using it.

The thing is, your decision to stop using it (which, by the way, would never be carried out in practice) would itself be based on past experience. So you are never going to avoid using past experience to judge the future. It is instinctual, and is a part of not only human nature, but is something common to most animals. It is a very basic instinct, and there is no overcoming it.
"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence." - David Hume
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

znajd wrote: December 16th, 2020, 6:27 pm If the only reason to use past experience (memories/knowledge) for making decisions as to what to do, is because that experience shows me it worked most of the time and that it's the only thing I have for that, then does it really mean I have to use it for making decisions?

Well if your past experience tells you that past experiences are 80% helpful for addressing current issues, you shouldn't trust them 100%, but you shouldn't ignore them either.
"As usual... it depends."
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Shuffling. You can shuffle past experience to imagine new experience and then try it out. If you have one way of looking at events of type A, and you try to apply that view to events of type B, you may discover something new about B. I used to call this a "forced matrix". The Wright brothers combined a bicycle with a bird to create the first flying machine. Many others tried similar things that didn't work. But I think Edison said that he learned something new from every experiment that failed.

So, to answer your question, No, you are not limited to repeating your past experiences.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: December 20th, 2020, 12:57 am by Marvin_Edwards » Today, 4:57 am

Shuffling. You can shuffle past experience to imagine new experience and then try it out. If you have one way of looking at events of type A, and you try to apply that view to events of type B, you may discover something new about B. I used to call this a "forced matrix". The Wright brothers combined a bicycle with a bird to create the first flying machine. Many others tried similar things that didn't work. But I think Edison said that he learned something new from every experiment that failed.

So, to answer your question, No, you are not limited to repeating your past experiences.

Not sure if I have you here. I agree we can speculate from past experience. But to keep repeating the same mistakes (or bad experiences) just is a failure to learn from experience. If past experience tells you something does not work then you probably should not repeat it, and that just is trusting to past experience or using past experience as a guide. That is what it means to learn from an experiment that failed. And conversely, to say we should do a thing because it works also just does beg the question. It typically means we do a thing because it worked in the past. Whether it will work next time is the question. Can you give a reason to believe it will still work which does not rely on past experience as a guide (e.g. it always has worked)? All you can do is suck it and see (matron). But since the alternative to using experience as a guide seems likely no guide at all it does seem the best we can do (in my experience). The decision on whether to trust past experiences, is of course, up to each of us, but the alternative to using past experience seems to be to ignore past experience and good luck with that. But it may be the notion of speculation leading to new thinking that you were wanting to highlight. A caution to remain flexible in our thinking and be open to new ideas maybe?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Past experience may be reinsuring if the circumstances are the same, and you are in pretty much in the same biological condition, under these conditions we must be able to trust our past experiences or be frozen in indecision. To move through the world our biology must inform us and guide our movements , for it is biology that bestows meaning onto a meaningless physical world.
James Shadow
New Trial Member

Post by James Shadow »

I think you can make the argument that the issue isn't so much the nature of "experience" but that your past experience gives you access to understanding the truth by ensuring your ideas reflect the objective world and can therefore infer predictions as to what results your actions may produce. If the ideas you have developed based on your past experience are truthful representations of reality, they are also a reliable basis on which you can make decisions.

I would also make the point that you are not uniquely relying on your own past experience, as our knowledge is the accumulated experience of generations of people who went before us. You own past experience is only one part of developing our knowledge of the world as we inherit it from other sources such as our parents, teachers, books, media, etc. your past experience is not entirely your own, particularly when you were an infant and were dependent on others to keep you safe from dangers that were as yet unknown to you. And as you occupy the same world as everyone else, you're past experience isn't going to be entirely unique either, even accounting for the differences of experiencing the same world and events from different positions within it.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

The best you can do is constantly challenge the heuristics with which you evaluate past experiences. If you're learning anything valuable about life those heuristics should be better, fewer bad hand-me-downs from idiots being held onto, and you should be able to mine more useful information from your experiences not less and even disabuse yourself of many previous misinterpretations or underinterpretations of past events.

Other than that - it's your database and you really can't borrow another. The closest you can do is just fill it up with more preferred content whether its books, music, art, long-form podcasts, things that actually make your life more worth living or give you better navigation tools than you had yesterday.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Past experience is just one of several data points. There is nothing else particularly special about it. It is not a shortcut to thinking.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream