The Self as a Highly Functional Illusion

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

The Self as a Highly Functional Illusion

Post by popeye1945 »

Well, the Buddhists say that there is no self, I suppose this is saying the same thing in a different way. Most people think of the self as their identity, but you did not have an identity when you were brought into this world, you acquired it from your reactions to your environment. What came into the world was a constitution either healthy and hardy or a little less so and a little frailer. This constitution in the process of gathering through its experience an identity becomes its experience, it becomes a storyline ever developing, ever adding. At some time one probably procreates and renews the constitution, that spark of life which is relatively immortal, your constitution eventually fails your function realized and your experience storyline enters into oblivion, and the process is relatively immortal, as it has renewed itself as it has for eons.
Nick_A

Re: The Self as a Highly Functional Illusion

Post by Nick_A »

popeye1945 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 6:33 am Well, the Buddhists say that there is no self, I suppose this is saying the same thing in a different way. Most people think of the self as their identity, but you did not have an identity when you were brought into this world, you acquired it from your reactions to your environment. What came into the world was a constitution either healthy and hardy or a little less so and a little frailer. This constitution in the process of gathering through its experience an identity becomes its experience, it becomes a storyline ever developing, ever adding. At some time one probably procreates and renews the constitution, that spark of life which is relatively immortal, your constitution eventually fails your function realized and your experience storyline enters into oblivion, and the process is relatively immortal, as it has renewed itself as it has for eons.
But it is your self or this no self which lives your life for you. Should you experience it or ignore it as an illusion?

Albert Einstein — 'The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation from the self.'
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Hi Nick,
I would say let that no self live out of your being aware it is an illusion. It seems to be somewhat of a tonic against the fear of death when you realize what most people fear losing never was there. That said, there is little doubt in my mind of the value of others in a life worth living. Albert is right about that, the realization is not quite like the incorporation and acting out of that reality, but even the effort, is worth the trouble.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

popeye1945 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 10:21 am Hi Nick,
I would say let that no self live out of your being aware it is an illusion. It seems to be somewhat of a tonic against the fear of death when you realize what most people fear losing never was there. That said, there is little doubt in my mind of the value of others in a life worth living. Albert is right about that, the realization is not quite like the incorporation and acting out of that reality, but even the effort, is worth the trouble.
Animal man and the lower self is real. The fact that it has been corrupted as Plato explained in the Chariot analogy creates the illusion which governs our lives and prevents Man from experiencing his objective purpose of consciously uniting the levels of reality know as above and below.

Since this human condition governs our lives it is dominant and doesn't want to die for the sake of human need for truth
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Animal man and the lower self is real. The fact that it has been corrupted as Plato explained in the Chariot analogy creates the illusion which governs our lives and prevents Man from experiencing his objective purpose of consciously uniting the levels of reality know as above and below.

Since this human condition governs our lives it is dominant and doesn't want to die for the sake of human need for truth
[/quote]

Hi Nick,
You need to put things in your own words, contemporary to the present and for those not as well read---LOL!!!
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Maybe some people have some quirky idea of what selves amount to ontologically, and that idea would be a fiction or illusion, but basically what you're describing--the dynamic, subjective, individual flow of a set of experiences, mental phenomena, including "self consciousness," etc. is just what selves are, so that can't be an illusion.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Maybe some people have some quirky idea of what selves amount to ontologically, and that idea would be a fiction or illusion, but basically what you're describing--the dynamic, subjective, individual flow of a set of experiences, mental phenomena, including "self consciousness," etc. is just what selves are, so that can't be an illusion.
[/quote]

Hi Terrapin,
When a child is born, it has no identity, so are you saying at the time, the time of birth it is something else, or that it already has an identity?
Terrapin Station

popeye1945 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 2:27 pm
Hi Terrapin,
When a child is born, it has no identity, so are you saying at the time, the time of birth it is something else, or that it already has an identity?
We're talking about a personal identity or sense of self. If we assume that infants have no sense of self or personal identity initially, what would be the issue re acknowledging that a sense of self/personal identity develops? How would that suggest that self is an illusion?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

The sense of self is just that a sense it is not real. It is as you say acquired, it is the constitution as a subject in relation to its experiences of its environment. It is something which arises through experience, the constitution becomes its experiences. Take the same constitution with its preferences and all, and it will be a different person than the one that would have been raised in a different environment. In other words, your sense of identity is what you've experienced, you are the totality of your experiences. In essence I think a lot of people think their sense of self is innate when it is a relational product. I stated it was a highly functional illusion, which it is, we could not do without it, it is indeed necessary for survival, and like a thought there is nothing tangible there.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

I just had an interesting thought, what I described to you as relational emergence, the constitution and its experience of its environment being a sense of self, is exactly the definition of how apparent reality arises for a conscious subject. Einstein said himself, that "Apparent reality is an illusion, be it a persistent one." So, according to Einstein the sense of self is as real as apparent reality.
Terrapin Station

popeye1945 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 5:32 pm The sense of self is just that a sense it is not real.
Wait. If there's a sense of self, how is that not real? You'd presumably not be using "real" here a la denoting whether it's external to persons, because that would be nonsensical. Obviously selves wouldn't be external to persons.
It is as you say acquired, it is the constitution as a subject in relation to its experiences of its environment. It is something which arises through experience, the constitution becomes its experiences. Take the same constitution with its preferences and all, and it will be a different person than the one that would have been raised in a different environment.
Okay . . . and how would that suggest that it's an illusion?

In other words, your sense of identity is what you've experienced, you are the totality of your experiences. In essence I think a lot of people think their sense of self is innate when it is a relational product. I stated it was a highly functional illusion, which it is, we could not do without it, it is indeed necessary for survival, and like a thought there is nothing tangible there.
That you might not be born with it doesn't imply that it's an illusion. You're not born with your adult teeth, but your adult teeth are not an illusion.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Hi Terrapin Station,

Wait. If there's a sense of self, how is that not real? You'd presumably not be using "real" here a la denoting whether it's external to persons, because that would be nonsensical. Obviously selves wouldn't be external to persons.Quote

Well, I am struggling with this a bit myself, did you read the follow-up post where I mentioned Einstein? He says, and it is the same process, that the resultant, and here he is talking about apparent reality, and says it is an illusion although a persistent one. The sense of self indeed isn't out there, I guess one would have to conclude the sense of self is a feeling, so its a real as the feeling of anger or sadness perhaps. So its an activity of the body chemistry and hormones and the like. It never the less is a feeling which arises from the relation of subject and object or apparent reality but apparent reality is an illusion. I guess we have to conclude we live in a dream world and the sense of self is part of that dream world---sorry if I took you on a bit of a journey there.

Okay . . . and how would that suggest that it's an illusion? quote

Well to be consistent one has to consider it all illusion but it is as real to the subject as apparent reality itself. The premise still stands I think that the constitution/subject would experience themselves a different person raised in a different environment having different life experiences so the sense of self is dependant as much on the environment as the subject himself.

That you might not be born with it doesn't imply that it's an illusion. You're not born with your adult teeth, but your adult teeth are not an illusion.
[/quote]

Well, this has been a bit of a journey for me too. It just might be a touch of nonsense that an illusion is acquired from an illusion but that is where it seems to stand.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Terrapin Station,
When dealing with the ontology of the self.
If someone has a conception that is “quirky”, why does this equate to fiction or illusion? What is the general rule relating to the understanding of the self? When there are philosophies such as nihilism and solipsism? If there was a generic ontology of the self or a consensus, wouldn’t every interlocutor here be saying the same thing? If the perception of self is inflated or not fully realised - a description of its ontology will construe a misconception. Is that what you meant by “quirky”?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
detail

Post by detail »

I do agree , the self as an assumption is not forced as an assumption by logic. But the brain, even in the most simple animals makes some some sort of neural time series analysis. So the foundations for the assumption of a self, were made somehow by some sort chi-square or covariance analysis of some neurons , that somehow simplified the logic assumptions for the brain , by assuming a self. The assumption of a self is somehow a data dimension reduction made reasonable for the simplest beeing with neurons. This reduces data trash in the beeings brain and is the true source of the assumption of a personal identity. Certainly buddha seems from his philosophical ethical standpoint quite likely to be supported but the reason for a personal identy lies in maths and physics especially statistics. A personal identy certainly supports egoism and anti-social behaviour this is clear for the philosophical thinking person but the realist knows the true reason for the existence of a self .
Terrapin Station

popeye1945 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 8:57 pm
Well, I am struggling with this a bit myself, did you read the follow-up post where I mentioned Einstein? He says, and it is the same process, that the resultant, and here he is talking about apparent reality, and says it is an illusion although a persistent one. The sense of self indeed isn't out there, I guess one would have to conclude the sense of self is a feeling, so its a real as the feeling of anger or sadness perhaps. So its an activity of the body chemistry and hormones and the like. It never the less is a feeling which arises from the relation of subject and object or apparent reality but apparent reality is an illusion. I guess we have to conclude we live in a dream world and the sense of self is part of that dream world---sorry if I took you on a bit of a journey there.
This may be part of the disagreement. I don't agree that apparent reality is an illusion, either. This isn't to say that illusions aren't possible, but apparent reality isn't categorically an illusion. When illusions occur, we know what's going wrong perceptually, which means that we're also getting something right with respect to apparent reality, otherwise there is no ground for saying there was an illusion in the first place.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream