TRUTH IS UNIVERSAL

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

df544 I was referring to grand theory and Continental philosophy. It's part of the history of modern western phil and a bit boring so I won't go into details
df544

Post by df544 »

Belinda wrote:df544 I was referring to grand theory and Continental philosophy. It's part of the history of modern western phil and a bit boring so I won't go into details
Okay. We'll save it for conversation?
Incony

Post by Incony »

nameless wrote:
Incony wrote:"staying tuned" does not give me evidence...
I was speaking to Belinda. Our convo is ended.
But the forum isnt.

That should tell anyone something about the "truth"
and who can see it.
Kool-aid

Post by Kool-aid »

nameless wrote:
Belinda wrote:QM and Relativity can neither account for 'gravity'. It is completely accounted for in my theory, along the same lines as the paradoxes of 'time' and 'motion'. Wait and you can read about it in Scientific American in 5 or 10 years, maybe 15, considering the ocified grey academic hoards pledged to guard the 'past'...
The value in 'theories' is that which they can describe and predict.
We live in 'exciting times'!
Stay tuned. *__-
If this is not a joke, then: congratulations, you have achieved many points at the Crackpot index!
See especially 26. and 34. here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html
nameless

Post by nameless »

Jarle10 wrote:If this is not a joke, then: congratulations, you have achieved many points at the Crackpot index!
(Actually, it is an offer, 'bait', for questioning my meaning, thereby allowing me to expound and elucidate on such. But you, regardless of your ignorance of my meaning, react emotionally in your (attemptedly) 'humorous' dismissal of that which you are ignorant. Isn't that the definition of 'stupid'?)
Your response is almost 'cute' and all, but every true thinker that has advanced human understanding has always been called 'crackpots' by the mediocre minds appointed to guard the past. Eventually, they fade into well deserved obscurity. 'Time' will most certainly tell!
Your thoughtful discussion, in-depth understanding, and rigorous refutation, however, has been noted (primarily by it's absence).
Your ad hom attack, as such, fails.
You have said nothing of value to anyone (besides your own shaky ego) in your post.
Thanx (for the attempt at a response) anyway.
I suggest that you ignore me in the future. "Lay down with dogs and wake with fleas", eh? You might catch my 'crackpotism'!
Bye bye
Kool-aid

Post by Kool-aid »

Don't take it too serious, nameless. You even made some extra points in your last post. And that every true thinker has been called crackpots is not true. The reason people have been against 'advanced thinkers' is not because they are scientists, it is because they are not.

Anyway, I have said what needs to be said in our previous discussion - and your reply did not contain anything that had not been covered, so I saw no reason to continue.
Incony

Post by Incony »

if one has reason, one continues.
wanabe
Favorite Philosopher: Gandhi.

Post by wanabe »

it's settled then, truth is universal. if something is true, it is always true everywhere. now, to find out what is true...
Secret To Eternal Life: Live Life To The Fullest, Help All Others To Do So.Meaning of Life Is Choice. Increase choice through direct perception. Golden rule+universality principal+Promote benefits-harm+logical consistency=morality.BeTheChange.
trevwinn

Post by trevwinn »

Pain is defined by pleasure. Without (idea of) pleasure you can have no (idea of) pain.
nameless

Post by nameless »

wanabe wrote:it's settled then, truth is universal. if something is true, it is always true everywhere. now, to find out what is true...
Aha! and therein lies the rub! *__-
Simon says...

Post by Simon says... »

I think the problem is that whilst facts may indeed by objective, words are not and it is with words that we communicate, which inevitably leads to confusion. Words are like algebra, x means nothing unless you define that x = 1, and it is the same with words, if I now invent a word like floopdagle (maybe that is a word in some language, i hope not) then that word is utterly meaningless until I say: Floopdagle, a method of linguistic communication involving popping noises...suddenly floopdagle means something. It is the same with truth unfortunately, truth has been Hijacked to mean various things, which I think misses the point of the origional concept, which was to outline something that is totally and irrefutably inflexible whether you know what it really is or not!

Many ask me when I say talk of universal truth "ah! but how do you know that is the truth?" which frustrates me because that is totally missing the idea, one might NOT know! It changes nothing, for truth doesn't give a damn what you think! Reality does not revolve around what you do and do not know after all, at least, this is provided other stuff besides you exists, which is debatable but as I've said to many people, solipsim gives you absolutely nothing but an inflated opinion of yourself.
ape

Post by ape »

wanabe wrote:it's settled then, truth is universal. if something is true, it is always true everywhere. now, to find out what is true...
That's easy, Wanabe:
If something is true everywhere,
then everywhere something is true,
then everything is true!:)

Since to the pure, everything is pure, Titus 1:15,
then it is true that everything is pure everywhere to the pure.
trevwinn wrote: Pain is defined by pleasure. Without (idea of) pleasure you can have no (idea of) pain.
Hi Trevwinn.
Perfect!--in Love of imperfect!Smile
Simon says...

Post by Simon says... »

ape wrote:
That's easy:
If something is true everywhere,
then everywhere something is true,
then everything is true!:)

Since to the pure, everything is pure, Titus 1:15,
then it is true that everything is pure to the pure.
Nooooo, the first two bits make sense but the last does not. You say everywhere something is true not everything. In this place of space and time that I am occupying, something is true and that is that I am typing (at least this is what my senses are telling me) but it is false that I am drinking from a cup thus not everything is true.
ape

Post by ape »

Simon says... wrote:I think the problem is that whilst facts may indeed by objective, words are not and it is with words that we communicate, which inevitably leads to confusion. Words are like algebra, x means nothing unless you define that x = 1, and it is the same with words, if I now invent a word like floopdagle (maybe that is a word in some language, i hope not) then that word is utterly meaningless until I say: Floopdagle, a method of linguistic communication involving popping noises...suddenly floopdagle means something. It is the same with truth unfortunately, truth has been Hijacked to mean various things, which I think misses the point of the origional concept, which was to outline something that is totally and irrefutably inflexible whether you know what it really is or not!

Many ask me when I say talk of universal truth "ah! but how do you know that is the truth?" which frustrates me because that is totally missing the idea, one might NOT know! It changes nothing, for truth doesn't give a damn what you think! Reality does not revolve around what you do and do not know after all, at least, this is provided other stuff besides you exists, which is debatable but as I've said to many people, solipsim gives you absolutely nothing but an inflated opinion of yourself.
Ss,
Have you ever tried to break down reality in to 2 realities:
Outer Reality in which words only represent the things that are in that OR;
and
Inner Reality in which words are the reality?

It wd solve the problem you mention about objectivity and subjectivity, and truth.
Simon says...

Post by Simon says... »

well see this kind of illustrates what I was getting at, for you must be using a different notion of reality, for the concept of reality that I am referring to, cannot by definition be divided into two because there can only be one reality. It is, the reality and there are no others.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream