TRUTH IS UNIVERSAL

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Simon says...

Post by Simon says... »

Then if existence is a perceived context what do you call events that occur without an observer?
nameless

Post by nameless »

Simon says... wrote:Then if existence is a perceived context what do you call events that occur without an observer?
Is this a trick question?
If existence is perceived context, there are no events that occur without an observer.
It is the perception that is the 'event'/percept.
Perceiver and perceived are 'one'.
You cannot be seperated from context and exist.
For a complete definition of 'you' (or anything else), for instance, one must include context. And the complete context of anything, you, me, the sun, is the entirety of the Universe! (Think Butterfly Effect) So, even definitionally, we are, ultimately, one Universe. Again, further distinctions, incur Occam's razor.

(I edited my previous post if you're interested)
Simon says...

Post by Simon says... »

One cannot observe an electron, do they still move? I eat this biscuit, I do not observe it's digestion, but does this still happen and thus keeps me alive? I throw a body on a fire, I leave, when I come back it is burned away, did the body wink out of existence and then come back changed when I returned or did it exist throughout that time undergoing a series of causal changes?
nameless

Post by nameless »

Simon says... wrote:One cannot observe an electron, do they still move?
Once upon a time, there was an electron that lived on a particular energy level in an atom, for a moment, when observed. One day it appeared to 'jump' from that energy level to the next energy level. We called that a quantum leap. 'Here' one moment, 'here' the next. We assumed it to be, of course, the same electron existing, at different times, on both energy levels.
So it appeared.
Since then, we have such excellent observational aids that we can now look to watch for the electron between energy levels, 'leaping' from here to there.
Surprise!
There is no electron to be found between energy levels! An electron winks out of existence, one moment, on one level, and an electron appears on the next energy level another moment. No longer is it assumed to 'move' or 'leap' or even be the same electron as was observed on the previous energy level.
What we assumed to 'exist' between observances, doesn't.
Appearances can be deceiving. A movie certainly doesn't look like the sequential viewing of still frames. We see 'action', movement, a 'trick' of perspective, just like in our day to day lives.
I throw a body on a fire, I leave, when I come back it is burned away, did the body wink out of existence and then come back changed when I returned

If there were absolutely no other Conscious Perspectives perceiving the body, then yes, just like the electron that didn't leap.
or did it exist throughout that time undergoing a series of causal changes?
From the Perspective of 'science' (and logic and philosophy...), for instance, 'causality' is becomming more and more discredited as (theory) some sort of 'universal truth', perhaps a relic of local Perspective at best.

'Causality' is rather like the 'quantum leap', rather like the illusion of 'action' in a movie. There is no 'action/motion' other than the 'appearance' of it as certain Perspectives.
Just as all still frames of the movie exist simultaneously, the appearance of motion comes from Perspective of them.
All existing moments/percepts exist simultaneously. Linearity is a Perspective (feature) of this 'reality'. As 'linearity' is a locally perceived feature of 'Reality', so is the notion of 'causality'. 'Causality' can only exist in/as a linear/sequential Perspective.

But we are straying far from topic. If you like, perhaps we should continue this in PM, and let the thread get back on track?
Peace
Simon says...

Post by Simon says... »

sure, the OP was on truth as I recall...
nameless

Post by nameless »

Simon says... wrote:sure, the OP was on truth as I recall...
True enough, but we can take any subject and 'argue' the 'truth' of the matter, but I don't think that is the OP's intent. I could be incorrect...
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

nameless wrote:I doubt that. I would not say such a nonsensical thing. You are in error.
Feel free to link me, or stand down.
That would require me to go through all of your posts until I find it. I won't do that, nor will I stand down. Choose to ignore my comment if you wish, but the comment stands.
ontologic_conceptualist

Post by ontologic_conceptualist »

Simon says... wrote:One cannot observe an electron, do they still move?
So, you've never seen lightning huh?
Who I Am Is What I Am
What I Am Is Why I Am
Why I Am IS Who I Am...

The question you should be asking is...who are you?
ontologic_conceptualist

Post by ontologic_conceptualist »

I "See" a firey red head, heavenly full fire engine red lips, 6'-6'2"ft tall, firm D cups, flareing emeral eyes, light tan, med waist, wide hips, fantastic well rounded firm rear, athletic/soccer legs, white, white teeth and I say "I'm in love"

or

there's the girl I've been dating for six weeks, plain in every manner, I've never said the 'L' word to her, but I see she's about to get hit by a tour bus crossing the street, all I say "Rachel !!!"

Whitch is real, you cant see or hear either, but there is truthfull 'Love' in one of those examples... !!!
Last edited by ontologic_conceptualist on July 16th, 2009, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who I Am Is What I Am
What I Am Is Why I Am
Why I Am IS Who I Am...

The question you should be asking is...who are you?
nameless

Post by nameless »

pjkeeley wrote:
nameless wrote:I doubt that. I would not say such a nonsensical thing. You are in error.
Feel free to link me, or stand down.
That would require me to go through all of your posts until I find it. I won't do that, nor will I stand down. Choose to ignore my comment if you wish, but the comment stands.
You are a moderator, right? You can use the search function, right? You can put in the alleged quote and find it in seconds, if it exists, right?
Your response is far from the height of philosophical critical thought. Your refusal to recant is rather more like emotional egoic reaction.
Whatever...

Why do you feel the need to respond to my posts if this is all you do? Sounds like a personal problem to me.
How's about just ignoring my posts? Can you do that? (especially if you have no more rational content to contribute than this sort of ego-motional thing. Unpleasant at best...)
(and your avatar is creepy!)
nameless out
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

nameless wrote:You are a moderator, right? You can use the search function, right? You can put in the alleged quote and find it in seconds, if it exists, right?
But I never said it was a quote; it wasn't. It may have been implied, or it may have been stated in very different words, I don't know. I trust my own memory and have better things to do than go looking blindly for it.
nameless wrote:Your response is far from the height of philosophical critical thought. Your refusal to recant is rather more like emotional egoic reaction.
Whatever. Like I said, I trust my memory. As for emotions and ego? Sure, I embrace both, they are an important part of my being. I won't deny my posts have a lot to do with my ego.
nameless wrote:How's about just ignoring my posts? Can you do that?
Why? I enjoy reading your posts.
nameless wrote:(especially if you have no more rational content to contribute than this sort of ego-motional thing. Unpleasant at best...)
Are my responses always that bad? I inject emotion into my posts, yes, but my responses mostly contain grounded criticisms of your arguments (maybe not in this thread I admit). You should be thankful that someone is challenging you on a regular basis; to me critical thinking is what this forum is for. :P
nameless wrote:(and your avatar is creepy!)
:twisted:
nameless

Post by nameless »

pjkeeley wrote:Are my responses always that bad?
Nope. Not at all.
I inject emotion into my posts, yes, but my responses mostly contain grounded criticisms of your arguments (maybe not in this thread I admit).

Yes, I'd "admit" that also, hence my call for you to step down on this particular assertion of your's, solely supported by 'your memory', since your memory has no correlation with "grounded criticisms".
I don't mind responding to thoughtfully rational and respectful criticism of these words. "These words". Not some defamatory words that you (don't remember) putting into my mouth. Your memory aside, I say that i have never written such a thing or implied so.
Why can't you do the philosophically correct thing and recant your assertion until and unles you can do better than 'your memory' for support.
You should be thankful that someone is challenging you on a regular basis; to me critical thinking is what this forum is for.

Thats what philosophy is, critical thought, not the above 'memory trick' from the landa slander.
And I won't mention it again.
Peace
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Re: TRUTH IS UNIVERSAL

Post by popeye1945 »

Truth is sensation which is then processed and tested against the physical world, this is universal, and inter species.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream