Intuition

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
DeMeriden

Post by DeMeriden »

Felix wrote:For the record, Tesla didn't get his ideas from dreams, he had waking visions
You are right Felix. Thanks. You do make an important distintion.

That is why I suspect he was synaesthesic like Daniel Paul Tammet the savant. Back in Tesla's day this condition would have been diagnosed as episodes of 'hallucinations' .. while today we know as synaesthesia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Reading Tammet's 'Born on A Blue day' biography .. where he describes how he experience numbers and equations .. reminded me a whole lot of Tesla's episodes. But back in his day (Tesla) these would have been diagnosed as 'hallucinations' (a very negative thing).

It is too bad .. apparently Tesla battled them all his life .. probably thinking himself as fighting off insanity .. while today the mechanism is more understood.

Cheers
-DeMmmeriden
ape

Re: Intuition

Post by ape »

Intuition is simply the tuition Love pays to all words and their opposites to be in Love, which can thus be called Inlovution or as commonly called, Intuition.

Inlovution makes the conscious and subconscious minds into one unified mind that loves without knowing and so knows without specifically knowing how one knows.

Example:
Love loves the known and unknown, and thus loves or knows Love or knows how to love in order to know rather than knows in order to love.

Thus, Love confers knowledge before any person or object is known: this Love-induced knowing without knowing is what is referred to as intuition.

Example:
When we love the known and unknown,
even when we know nothing, and even before we know anything, we know Love, we have the knowledge of Love.

So even when we are ignorant and know nothing, yet we are in the know and glow of Love.
wanabe wrote:my definition----intuition-knowing some thing with out knowing anything about it.

intuition- direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.

http://dictionary.reference.com/dic?q=i ... rch=search
it is its hot sparks that ignite the flames of knowledge and discovery.
DeMeriden

Post by DeMeriden »

Haller wrote:These things are fine and dandy, but why am I so drawn to ignoring them? Why is there a compulsion for the mundane? Why do I feel I have to be noticed to the point where the most important things in life are over-shadowed? Not just over-shadowed, almost drowned completely. Also These so-called important things are so easy to ignore, and so ambiguous that it would seem for all intents and purpouses they WANTED to be ignored. I can not see why important warning signs and such are so confusing and subliminal that they are hard to identify themselves, much less thier meanings...
You were trained that way.

If you are like most people .. you are not paid to be creative .. from 9 to 5 you are paid to be the most efficient (and cost effective) cog in the machine of production.

If you have a job .. no one has figured out a way to automate your job yet and replace you with a machine. Or you are the still the most cost effective way so far.

On your off days you have been trained to distract yourself from your emptiness. Watch TV and absorb advertisements and go out and buy all that stuff that you can afford. And after that ... use your credit card to buy the stuff you can not afford .. and that keeps you glued to the cog machine .. in order to pay off the loans. This is being a good citizen.

These are the men that you are trying to hide from. They want you to be 'normal'.

> Why do I feel I have to be noticed to the point
> where the most important things in life are over-shadowed?
This takes a bit of background to explain. But it is easy to understand. It is the result of suppressing your human nature in order to be the cog and more machine like ... for the sake of mass production.

But it is a typical subconscious drive in the cog-culture.

We all feel so mundane, so cog-ish, so normal, so ignored, so de-humanized, so emotionally dead .. that it cause a powerful subconscious drive to the other extreme. We desperately want to feel alive (emotionally and creatively) .. However .. it must be repressed in order to conform .. your security in the system is your conformity. And so it remains a wish, a dream of freedom.

In the movie 'Fight Club' .. life is so machine like and mundane (we are trained to be mundane) .. that only extreme violence effects us. A few people notice that being a victim of extreme violence .. makes them feel .. alive!

At one point in the movie one of the members dies ... and the chant is, "He has a name. His name is Robert Paulson!".. the ultimate extreme violence makes him an .. individual. It give him a name! that no one knew before.

anyways ...

I think I explained some where at this forum .. how repressing a normal human drive .. only makes that drive all the more powerful. My analogy of trying to use your hand to flatten an air filled balloon to the table. It pushes back anywhere your hand is not. And it pushes back equal to the force it is being repressed with. In fact .. greater.

If entirely repressed .. it will turn into psycho-somatic illness or any number of psychological problems that force their way out by budging through the cracks. Most are self destructive while some are other-destructive.

There is a few pages in a book by Dostoevsky (I think it was him) in which two Russian soldiers (WWII) capture a German soldier. One Russian wants to shoot him .. but the other says "No. There is a better way."" and proceeds to stomp on the German's head and face with his boots - until his boots are all bloody and the German is dead. When asked 'Why?' the Russian replies that he wanted to 'feel' the life drain from the man. The point being that only though extreme violence on someone else - did he himself feel alive.

However .. we can not be trained against our will. We had a part in this deadening of our human nature. We just didn't realizes that once internalized .. it would run on automatic line a loop program even after the particular situation in which we thought it good .. has long past. How do we turn these programs off?

Easy (almost).

But we first have to learn just how the subconscious mind works. And then we have to realize that the answer does not lay in re-programing the subconscious mind .. yet again.

anyways .. off to bed with me now.

Cheers
-DeMeriden
ape

Post by ape »

DeMeriden wrote: .....
I think I explained some where at this forum .. how repressing a normal human drive .. only makes that drive all the more powerful. My analogy of trying to use your hand to flatten an air filled balloon to the table. It pushes back anywhere your hand is not. And it pushes back equal to the force it is being repressed with. In fact .. greater.

If entirely repressed .. it will turn into psycho-somatic illness or any number of psychological problems that force their way out by budging through the cracks. Most are self destructive while some are other-destructive.

However .. we can not be trained against our will. We had a part in this deadening of our human nature. We just didn't realizes that once internalized .. it would run on automatic line a loop program even after the particular situation in which we thought it good .. has long past. How do we turn these programs off?

Easy (almost).

But we first have to learn just how the subconscious mind works. And then we have to realize that the answer does not lay in re-programing the subconscious mind .. yet again.

Cheers
-DeMeriden
In 2 words:
awesome analysis!
ape

Post by ape »

DeMeriden wrote: .....

Easy (almost).

Cheers
-DeMeriden
In 2 words:
awesome analysis!
Haller

Post by Haller »

And if they are so important, and they push back as much as you repress them, with things like intuition, why have I not seen a psycho-sematic illness in relation. If intuition was so important why would it not overrule our artificial training. Love is a drive for sex and so no matter what we can not successfully repress it. It is so important to our existence that It will push hard when pushed against. Why is this not so with things like intuition?
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
DeMeriden

Post by DeMeriden »

Haller wrote:And if they are so important, and they push back as much as you repress them, with things like intuition,
No. That is not what I meant.

Short posts do not make for clarity.

The natural drives of our inner human nature .. good in themselves .. require our cooperation and a bit of guidance to come out in good ways. If repressed too hard and for too long .. the drives will force themselves out in distorted ways (which are always symbolic as to a psychological problem). One way may be psycho-somatic illness which can sometimes be in the form of a degeneration disease.

A natural human drive - if repressed too hard too long - will over-ride our training and force itself out.

And .. yes .. If real human love (a natural drive) is repressed to the degree which we call 'repression' then it will force its way out as a form of an uncontrollable urge for sexual activity. That sexual activity may perhaps be a serial killer and seem to have no overt sexual tones to it.

Intuition .. is something else. It is also natural to us .. and good. It is not a drive. It will not force itself out if repressed. It will just go dormant. It is a kind of massive computing power for our assistance .. but we have been culturally trained to ignore intuition as no real value.

If I made it sound like .. intuition is the result of natural drives being represses.. no .. I did not mean to say that.

Love (a good and natural human drive) may express itself as sexual activity. Love may also express itself as an abstinence from sexual activity.

While love may express itself through sexual activity .. sexual activity is not necessarily an expression of love. Sexual activity may be an expression of insecurity, boredom, immaturity, obsession, etc.. etc.. etc..

Love that is compulsive ,.. is not real love. It is not love at all but masquerades as love. As a compulsion (which many people believe love is) we say we 'fall in love'. There is no freedom in a compulsion.

Real love can only be present within freedom. The person under a compulsion is not free. Anything of compulsion is not love.

I would put off a discussion of what love is - to another day. I would not be able to do it justice right now.

-DeMeriden
ape

Post by ape »

DeMeriden wrote:
Love (a good and natural human drive) may express itself as sexual activity.
Love may also express itself as an abstinence from sexual activity.

While love may express itself through sexual activity .. sexual activity is not necessarily an expression of love. Sexual activity may be an expression of insecurity, boredom, immaturity, obsession, etc.. etc.. etc..

Love that is compulsive ,.. is not real love. It is not love at all but masquerades as love. As a compulsion (which many people believe love is) we say we 'fall in love'. There is no freedom in a compulsion.

Real love can only be present within freedom. The person under a compulsion is not free. Anything of compulsion is not love.

I would put off a discussion of what love is - to another day. I would not be able to do it justice right now.

-DeMeriden
One word: WOW!
Haller

Post by Haller »

So the question is twofold then isn't it. If intuition is such a great thing, how and why should we implement it and use it?
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
ape

Post by ape »

Haller wrote:So the question is twofold then isn't it. If intuition is such a great thing, how and why should we implement it and use it?
Ape:
Love answers both the how and why:
The how is in Love,
and
the why is because of Love.

"He who has a why for life can bear and bear any how." Frederick Nietzsche
Haller

Post by Haller »

My freind it seems to me that your love is an obsession. Here I will employ the use of our merriam webster dictionary.

obsession
One entry found.

Main Entry: ob·ses·sion
Pronunciation: \äb-ˈse-shən, əb-\
Function: noun
Date: 1680
1: a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling ; broadly : compelling motivation <an obsession with profits>
2: something that causes an obsession
— ob·ses·sion·al \-ˈsesh-nəl, -ˈse-shə-nəl\ adjective
— ob·ses·sion·al·ly adverb

Tread lightly my friend, its a dangerous game you play when you delve into this realm.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
ape

Post by ape »

Haller wrote:My freind it seems to me that your love is an obsession. Here I will employ the use of our merriam webster dictionary.

obsession
One entry found.

Main Entry: ob·ses·sion
Pronunciation: \äb-ˈse-shən, əb-\
Function: noun
Date: 1680
1: a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling ; broadly : compelling motivation <an obsession with profits>
2: something that causes an obsession
— ob·ses·sion·al \-ˈsesh-nəl, -ˈse-shə-nəl\ adjective
— ob·ses·sion·al·ly adverb
ape:
Thank you for the warning, Haller!smile

But not to worry:
Love is the Magnificent Obsession and the Magnificent UNobsession,
which
loves the obsessive,
loves the non-obsessive, which makes the Lover also UNobsessed and UNobsessive, smile
and
loves the moderately obsessive!smile

'Love is as much an object as an obsession, everybody wants it,
everybody seeks it,
but few ever achieve it,
those who do will cherish it,
be lost in it,
and among all, never... never forget it.'
~ Curtis Judalet ~

'I have learned so much from God
That I can no longer call myself
a Christian, a Hindu, A Muslim, A Buddhist, a Jew.
The Truth has shared so much of Itself with me
That I can no longer call myself
a man, a woman, an angel, or even a pure soul.
Love has befriended Hafiz.
It has turned to ash and freed me
Of every concept and image my mind has ever known.' Rumi
Haller wrote:My freind .....

Tread lightly my friend, its a dangerous game you play when you delve into this realm.
ape:
And guess what?
A friend loves at all times!
Proverbs 17:
17A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

So because Love loves friends and enemies too,
Love is the greater friend,
and
a lover is the greater friend! :pleased:
Felix

Post by Felix »

"If intuition is such a great thing, how and why should we implement it and use it?"

I wish I could answer your question.... Intuition doesn't seem to be something we can control. As DeMeriden said, it's an innate ability that can be nurtured and/or suppressed. It's kind of mysterious, there are methods one can follow to develop one's logical thinking ability but I don't know of any proven method to develop one's intuition.
Haller

Post by Haller »

I wish I was as good at love as you are ape, but on the other hand I do not want to. Love is good, your absolutely right, maybe too good. As for now, it is not the time for me to even think about doing 'things in love.' I just have a feeling that love is not the answer. Call it intuition haha.

as for the question it is interesting is not it? I can not think of a way in order to develop such a skill. My only thought is to trust it when it comes about, but in the early stages it could be wrong and in some cases this could have dirastic consequences were you to trust a small gut feeling and it turned out wrong.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
ape

Post by ape »

Haller wrote:I wish I was as good at love as you are ape, ....
ape:
Your wish will come thru and true!smile
Haller wrote:.... but on the other hand I do not want to.
ape:
That is key.
If you don't want to, no one can make you.
If you want to, no one can stop you.
Haller wrote: Love is good, your absolutely right, maybe too good.
ape:
:pleased:
Love is the EIOU: The Eternal IOU: so it is never too good: just absolutely good and absolutely good enough!
Haller wrote: As for now, it is not the time for me to even think about doing 'things in love.'
Take your time.
Haller wrote: I just have a feeling that love is not the answer.
ape;
Just shows that we can't go by feelings.
Haller wrote: I just have a feeling that love is not the answer. Call it intuition haha.
ape:
Only shows that intuition depends on attitude.
Haller wrote: as for the question it is interesting is not it? I can not think of a way in order to develop such a skill.
ape:
Check this out: just found it yesterday:
http://www.kriyayoga.com/english/on_you ... uition.htm
Haller wrote: My only thought is to trust it when it comes about, but in the early stages it could be wrong and in some cases this could have dirastic consequences were you to trust a small gut feeling and it turned out wrong.
ape:
Good thinking.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream