Anthropic principle meets consciousness

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Atla

Re: Anthropic principle meets consciousness

Post by Atla »

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 19th, 2021, 9:26 am
Atla wrote: July 18th, 2021, 11:26 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: July 18th, 2021, 10:07 am Hello Alta! Thank you for your thoughts and contribution.

With respect to the problem of why abstract mathematical structures so effectively explain the universe and our cosmological conditions, we know the ongoing debate is insoluble. Much like many existential features of the human condition and the mind itself, as you know, there is ongoing discourse associated with whether mathematics is out there to be discovered, or whether it's a human invention.

None-the-less to support an anthropic model that includes human value systems, we can see the parallel between other abstract structures from consciousness (love, the will, Kantian aesthetics, wonderment, music, intuition, intention, Schopenhauer metaphysics, sentience...) itself. So in this sense I would agree, it is perhaps a wonderful problem to have... any thoughts?

With respect to your second point, could we be saying the laws of physics (mathematics/metaphysics) is an ancillary feature of human consciousness (not required for darwinian survival)? I ask this because if we agree mathematics itself cannot explain how inanimate matter becomes animent matter, and that the nature of reality ( neurons, protons etc.) at its most fundamental level can only be described mathematically, how do we reconcile those important abstract features of existence, reality and consciousness? In other words what do any of these foregoing abstract features have in common and what is their purpose... .

Finally, to remove phenomenology from human value systems would essentially mean to remove the concept of Anthropology from the universe; there would be no need or reason to make a connection in the first place and posit same. The concept of value (systems) in itself, relates directly to self-aware conscious beings with higher levels of intellect... .
But why would values be needed for self-awareness? I guess the simplest refutation of this is when we meet a self-aware psychopath.

The Anthropic principle works just fine without a central role for value systems. It just says that a self-aware, intelligent organism will necessarily find itself in a world capable of producing a self-aware, intelligent organism. Maybe ultimately we are here to give the universe purpose, values, maybe something else is going on altogether.
Alta!

That's a great question. I believe value systems are subordinate to self-awareness. Much like the will to be, over intellect. Meaning, I think self-awareness causes such value systems to come into being which is intrinsic to why people have the desire to go on living. It is important to their way of Being. And that is apparently different from lower level life forms of instinct. In other words, one's own subjective truth would be one example of this distinction between self-aware beings and lower life forms. Lower life forms, of course, would not have the intellect and the reasoning capabilities associated with such higher levels of self-awareness. And those value systems in themselves, are abstract metaphysical features of the mind, much like all the other metaphysical languages and phenom from consciousness we've been discussing... .

Another way of looking at it would be an obvious layman's comparison. Imagine that there were no human lifeforms but instead, just lower level life forms such as plants and animals. The concept of Anthropology itself would not exist. At the very least, you may even say out of logical necessity, that it does exist.

But the existential part of the so-called human condition, as you alluded, is that we cannot escape this need to seek happiness and purpose. Our intentions are to seek out ways to discover and uncover a certain way of Being. That's pretty distinct from ordinary instinct, since the Will itself, provides for such purpose, each person still has to find their own unique way of being-happy. The painter must paint, the scientist must research, the doctor must discover, the teacher must teach, the musician must make music, the writer must write, the carpenter must build, ad nauseum.

Along with our sense of wonder (i.e., causation, etc.), those things are part of human value systems.
Unfortunately I reject the phenomenologist's obsession with mental phenomena (a rather specific obsession with the usual mental phenomena of typically male, middle-aged or older, above average intelligence, philosophically inclined, neurotypical humans).

I don't get all the fuss about phenomenology. As I said I see no reason to think that values are needed for self-awareness, and values also seem to be largely irrelevant to the Anthropic principle.
True philosophy points to the Moon
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Atla wrote: July 19th, 2021, 2:05 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: July 18th, 2021, 10:07 am Hello Alta! Thank you for your thoughts and contribution.

With respect to the problem of why abstract mathematical structures so effectively explain the universe and our cosmological conditions, we know the ongoing debate is insoluble. Much like many existential features of the human condition and the mind itself, as you know, there is ongoing discourse associated with whether mathematics is out there to be discovered, or whether it's a human invention.

None-the-less to support an anthropic model that includes human value systems, we can see the parallel between other abstract structures from consciousness (love, the will, Kantian aesthetics, wonderment, music, intuition, intention, Schopenhauer metaphysics, sentience...) itself. So in this sense I would agree, it is perhaps a wonderful problem to have... any thoughts?

With respect to your second point, could we be saying the laws of physics (mathematics/metaphysics) is an ancillary feature of human consciousness (not required for darwinian survival)? I ask this because if we agree mathematics itself cannot explain how inanimate matter becomes animent matter, and that the nature of reality ( neurons, protons etc.) at its most fundamental level can only be described mathematically, how do we reconcile those important abstract features of existence, reality and consciousness? In other words what do any of these foregoing abstract features have in common and what is their purpose... .

Finally, to remove phenomenology from human value systems would essentially mean to remove the concept of Anthropology from the universe; there would be no need or reason to make a connection in the first place and posit same. The concept of value (systems) in itself, relates directly to self-aware conscious beings with higher levels of intellect... .
But why would values be needed for self-awareness? I guess the simplest refutation of this is when we meet a self-aware psychopath.

The Anthropic principle works just fine without a central role for value systems. It just says that a self-aware, intelligent organism will necessarily find itself in a world capable of producing a self-aware, intelligent organism. Maybe ultimately we are here to give the universe purpose, values, maybe something else is going on altogether.
Alta!

That's a great question. I believe value systems are subordinate to self-awareness. Much like the will to be, over intellect. Meaning, I think self-awareness causes such value systems to come into being which is intrinsic to why people have the desire to go on living. It is important to their way of Being. And that is apparently different from lower level life forms of instinct. In other words, one's own subjective truth would be one example of this distinction between self-aware beings and lower life forms. Lower life forms, of course, would not have the intellect and the reasoning capabilities associated with such higher levels of self-awareness. And those value systems in themselves, are abstract metaphysical features of the mind, much like all the other metaphysical languages and phenom from consciousness we've been discussing... .

Another way of looking at it would be an obvious layman's comparison. Imagine that there were no human lifeforms but instead, just lower level life forms such as plants and animals. The concept of Anthropology itself would not exist. At the very least, you may even say out of logical necessity, that it does exist.

But the existential part of the so-called human condition, as you alluded, is that we cannot escape this need to seek happiness and purpose. Our intentions are to seek out ways to discover and uncover a certain way of Being. That's pretty distinct from ordinary instinct, since the Will itself, provides for such purpose, each person still has to find their own unique way of being-happy. The painter must paint, the scientist must research, the doctor must discover, the teacher must teach, the musician must make music, the writer must write, the carpenter must build, ad nauseum.

Along with our sense of wonder (i.e., causation, etc.), those things are part of human value systems.
Unfortunately I reject the phenomenologist's obsession with mental phenomena (a rather specific obsession with the usual mental phenomena of typically male, middle-aged or older, above average intelligence, philosophically inclined, neurotypical humans).

I don't get all the fuss about phenomenology. As I said I see no reason to think that values are needed for self-awareness, and values also seem to be largely irrelevant to the Anthropic principle.
Hi Alta!

I'm not quite following you, what are you really trying to say, (other than seemingly, you just don't like something) ?

Are you saying human's don't need value systems for their own sense of survival (i.e.; why/how does one choose to live and not die)?

In that context, what is the Will? Do other animals have will or instinct that drives their survival? And of they have will, can you explain or describe their will to live (empirically or otherwise)?

Among many things, how do we square that circle :shock:

Thank you kindly.
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Atla

Post by Atla »

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 19th, 2021, 2:40 pm

Alta!

Hi Alta!

I'm not quite following you, what are you really trying to say, (other than seemingly, you just don't like something) ?

Are you saying human's don't need value systems for their own sense of survival (i.e.; why/how does one choose to live and not die)?

In that context, what is the Will? Do other animals have will or instinct that drives their survival? And of they have will, can you explain or describe their will to live (empirically or otherwise)?

Thank you kindly.
Not sure what you mean. The survival instinct is much more primal than value systems and self-awareness. Humans just happen to have all three. In a sense all life can be seen as the embodiment of survival.
True philosophy points to the Moon
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Atla wrote: July 19th, 2021, 2:53 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: July 19th, 2021, 2:40 pm

Alta!

Hi Alta!

Thank you kindly.
Not sure what you mean. The survival instinct is much more primal than value systems and self-awareness. Humans just happen to have all three. In a sense all life can be seen as the embodiment of survival.
Hi Alta!

The Will: Will, generally, is the faculty of the mind that selects, at the moment of decision, a desire among the various desires present; it itself does not refer to any particular desire, but rather to the mechanism responsible for choosing from among one's desires. Within philosophy, will is important as one of the parts of the mind, along with reason and understanding.

The Instinct: A largely inheritable and unalterable tendency of an organism to make a complex and specific response to environmental stimuli without involving reason. Behavior that is mediated by reactions below the conscious level .

And so Alta, I'm not quite following you, what are you really trying to say, (other than seemingly, you just don't like something [Anthropy]) ?

Are you saying human's don't need value systems for their own sense of survival (i.e.; why/how does one choose [have the Will] to live and not die)?

Does this suggest Anthropy and Phenomenology?

Phenomenology: Is the philosophical study of the structures of experience and consciousness.
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream